PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a stubborn dog???

critter crazy
01-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Rocky is starting to show his true colors, over the last week he has been with us. He is quite the stubborn boy, when he wats to be. He will only come if the mood suits him, and if you try to make him, he acts like he will snap at you. I am concerned, that this could become a problem. The other day we had family over, and the dogs were getting a little rilled up and out of control, so i told them to go downstairs. well rocky refused, so I wen to grabhim by the collar, and he spun his head around and showed his teeth and growled. My arm got covered in slim, but he did not bite, but it sure did freak everyone out.
then, once he realized what he had done, he went and hid in the bathtub. I idnt raise my voice or anything, i was just so shocked i didnt say anything.

I have noticed that he seems to be head shy, and am concerned he was abused at some point. I am juat at a loss at to wha to do??? how Can i get him to do things if he dosent want to??? He is such a big dog, there is only so much i can do. I am not afraid of him, but am more concerned for the kids than anything.

Karen
01-15-2007, 04:15 PM
I'd sign up for an obedience class with him, just as a way of strengthening the bond between the two of you. Again, a harsh word is far more wounding than a physical blow to these big lugs, so keep that in mind. You might keep a leash on him for a time, just so you can easily lead him where you need him to go should he refuse to otherwise. And I wouldn't be too concerned about the kids with him, as long as they are well-bahaved with dogs. Saints usually treat kids like their own pups, wouldn't hurt them, and are often protective of them if stranger approach.

jackie
01-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Obedience class is the best bet.

I second Karen's idea of a putting a leash on to lead him. Tito really hates to be grabbed by his collar, and usually bares his teeth and drags his legs, but is fine when leashed.

luvofallhorses
01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Obdience classes sounds good. he was probably allowed to do anything he wants in his previous home. and practice NILIF (nothing in life is free)
with him. make sure he knows that you're the boss, not him. :)
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

good luck! :)

Glacier
01-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree with a class too. You need to find what motivates your particular dog. Huskies are notoriously stubborn and often refuse to do things they have known for years. Sometimes they will have one thing they just can't resist though. Founder can't resist being talked to in a baby voice, Pingo is a sucker for a tennis ball, Earle falls for the crinkle of a treat bag every time, Sleet would do back flips for cheese. You need to find what works for Rocky.

Founder used to react the same as Rocky when his collar was touched. He was seriously abused in his first home. I still never move him by his collar. Too scary for him, although he no longer snaps at my hand. I always move him with a leash. When I'm petting him or just playing, I make a point of handling his neck and collar lots. He's much more relaxed about it now.

K9soul
01-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Being collar/head shy is not all that uncommon, even in dogs who weren't abused. When you grab for a dog's neck, instinct tells them to defend themselves sometimes, because in the dog world that can be an attack. I think what often happens is they come to associate being grabbed by the collar as something unpleasant. Tommy used to cower and flop down and just generally panic when I reached for his collar. I'd be careful and never grab the dog's collar when you are angry or emotional in any way. For one, you were probably irritated that he hadn't gone downstairs, so he sensed that tension. That, on top of grabbing for his neck (in his view), made him feel he needed to defend himself by mouthing your arm. I don't think it's necessarily aggression, but a defensive response. If someone walked up to you obviously angry or irritated and reached for your neck, more than likely you'd want to push them away too ;).

So as has been recommended already, if you need to lead him somewhere I'd suggest a leash. I got a slip lead to use for Tommy, so that I could just slip it over his head and then he'd get right up and follow me. Try to never approach him and take his collar while tense/angry/irritated. Meanwhile when he is relaxed, handle his collar and neck area a lot. Take a hold of it and then let go again while petting him often, so he comes to associate it as a routine thing that's no big deal, and not something that's going to end up with him being pulled somewhere.

Classes are good too, they always strengthen the bond between you and allow him to see you as leader. I don't know how treat motivated he is, but try to encourage him often to come to you for treats. Treat him every time he comes when called for now, and even if he gets it down and starts coming well, be generous in rewarding him for it. It's the most important command there is, in my opinion.

I hope some of this helps you.

*Edited to add: Some of this is a repeat of the advice Glacier gave, we were posting at about the same time, I definitely agree with her post.

Vela
01-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I agree with Glacier and K9Soul. I would avoid trying to move him by his collar as it really is something many dogs don't love, and they can feel threatened by it. I hope you are able to use their advice to help. I'm sure he will come around.

You also have to realize he really doesn't know you yet, just like you really don't know him yet. You guys have to take more time and give him some slack to figure out how things work in your house. He will adjust, but he's new. He doesn't know your way of doing things yet, give him some time before you label him as stubborn, he may just be confused and probably scared honestly. I don't think he ran to your tub because he felt bad for mouthing you arm, he got scared with you grabbing him and mouthed your arm and when you let go he ran away to the tub because he was scared. It takes some practice but if you try to think like the dog, rather than thinking the dog has human emotions and thinks like you, it will be easier to understand him.

critter crazy
01-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Thansk for the advice. He realy is a good dog, but the collar thing realy got me. I have never had a dog react this way before. I was talking to him in a calm voice(i try to never raise my voice to my dogs) and just grabbed the collar, when he spun around. I do touch his collar all the time, he is groomed 2-3 times a day, and i take his collar off and put it back on with no probs. I also hold him by the collar when petting him, and he seems fine with it. I guess this is why it took me by such suprise. But he does have a tendancy to not want to do things.

If I am getting ready to go out and run errands or something, I always have the dogs go out to go potty before I leave, and sometimes i have to con Rocky to go out, cause he just refuses. We are working on it tho, i hve been working on training, starting with the basics, sit, stay laydown ect...he is doing great.

I have been using the leash, on him since the incident. and he definitely responds much better. Like i said this is a first for me. I will call around and find out about obedience classes. hard to find ones for large dogs here.