PDA

View Full Version : getting a puppy! :O

pessimisaurus
01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
well for those of you who dont know, Ive decided to add a siberian to my pack. originally I wanted to get a dog through rescue and have been actively searching for the perfect dog and have repeatedly run into the issue of my CATS. it seems its nearly impossible to find a dog that meets the requirements Im looking for AND is known to be good with cats. so.. Ive decided to get A PUPPY! @__o

Ive always known Id get a puppy one day, but didnt plan on it for a while just because Im perfectly content with rescues and figured Id be able to find a dog in rescue that met my needs. however, after a lot of thought I realized this is the perfect time for a puppy, and besides Ive been training other people's puppies for months already!

so anyhoo.. just wanted to share the news. Ive contacted a number of reputable breeders in the area and am waiting to hear back from them. Ill keep you posted ;)

Husky_mom
01-15-2007, 02:09 PM
well congrats!! but just to let you know..........ALWAYS ALWAYS keep an eye on your cats, even if the puppy grows with them itīs not a guarantee they will be fine all the time..........Huskies have a prey drive that might trigger anytime..........just be on the lookout

canīt wait to see the newcomer.......:)

borzoimom
01-15-2007, 02:13 PM
well congrats!! but just to let you know..........ALWAYS ALWAYS keep an eye on your cats, even if the puppy grows with them itīs not a guarantee they will be fine all the time..........Huskies have a prey drive that might trigger anytime..........just be on the lookout

canīt wait to see the newcomer.......:)
I agree- ...

Kalei
01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Wow! How exciting! I can't wait to see the picture of this new puppy:) Husky is one of my favorite breed, they are so pretty. That is a great choice!

dab_20
01-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Congrats! ~As said before, huskies have a strong prey drive, so always be alert when the cats and the dog are together. Can't wait to see pictures!!

ramanth
01-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Good luck in your search! :)

wolfsoul
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree to be careful -- I have friends with huskies that grew up with cats and as soon as the dogs were old enough, killed them. Sometimes breed instinct just takes over. I would ask the breeders if they have any adults available that they already know are good with cats -- more predicatable than getting a puppy who may or may not have too strong a prey drive. Congrats though, keep us updated. :)

jackie
01-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Fingers crossed you find the perfect puppy!

Glacier
01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
No siberian is ever 100% cat safe. The dogs I have raised from puppyhood are no more trustworthy with a cat than the ones who showed up as 10 year olds.

I would strongly advise you never, ever leave them unsupervised together. My dogs have learned that if they want to be in the house, they have to leave the cats alone. I still won't leave them unattended. A dog inside is within my sight or confined somehow. I allow no interaction. The dogs can't chase, follow, or bug the cats in anyway. Even staring at them for too long will result in a quick trip to the door for the dog. My dogs have killed one of my cats, when she got outside. Single worst moment of my life was finding Dominique's body. The dogs had been fine with her in the house for five years, but when she was outside, in their territory, she was fair game, no different to them than a squirrel. They had no idea why I was so upset.

I do hope you find the perfect puppy for you and that you enjoy many happy years together!

pessimisaurus
01-15-2007, 06:57 PM
thanks for the good wishes and precautions. I do have my house set up with a room for cats only that dogs physically cannot access, and I will be sure to be extra cautious.

Ive been getting some replies from a few breeders, we'll see what happens!

like I said, Ive raised a number of puppies at all different ages but have never had my own to raise from 8 weeks to maturity! so it will be great learning, and will also be great to have a dog with complete knowns- properly socialized to people, places, things & dogs, good doggy social and play skills, good bite inhibition, handlable, and no bad habits! ;) despite the months of hard work & exhaustion, the end result will be worth it. I am so looking forward to having my own adorable puppy photos to show off, and soft fuzzy baby to snuggle... ;) and then Ill end up with a gorgeous adult dog to run and play with brock at the park, and go on hikes, and wrestle with alki.........