PDA

View Full Version : Chesapeake Retrievers

juxie
01-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Does anyone on here own one of these dogs? I am considering getting one- but I want to be informed first.

My last experience with dog ownership did not go as planned and ended up with the dog going to live with a very good friend of mine. Granted, my living situation has changed drastically since then and it much more dog friendly :) I am definitely more prepared this time around- but I would still like some input from other owners. Thanks!

luvofallhorses
01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chesapeakebay.htm

I LOVE chesapeake bay retrievers. they are great dogs. :)

Where do you live? I can post some chesapeake bay retrievers for you in your area off of petfinder if you'd like. :)

pessimisaurus
01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Ive met a number of them, but never owned one myself. the major caution about the breed is that they are *extremely* high energy- 10 times worse than a lab. they are gorgeous though and the ones Ive met have been really cool dogs.

juxie
01-15-2007, 01:58 PM
I live in southwest Nova Scotia. I have been looking on petfinder as well- I found a breeder who lives about 4 hours away. I may be going to have a look at some pups this weekend :D

Kalei
01-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Wow that is great! Retrievers are always so pretty and they always have a great energy level:D If you get one you certainly should post some great pics!

applesmom
01-15-2007, 03:05 PM
My daughter had two chessies. Though they can be awsome pets, chessies can be a little more hard headed than some of the other retreiving breeds. They tend to become a "one man" or "one family" dog if not properly socialized.

Here's a link to the parent club that might provide helpful information.

American Chesapeake Club (http://www.amchessieclub.org/)

elizabethann
01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Fenway goes to DDC with one. He is a big ol lug. For some reason, he's afraid of doors though. But he is so gentle that they put him in with the puppies and small dogs. I just love him to pieces though.

Good luck.

Husky15
01-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Chesapeakes are gorgeous dogs. Good luck! And if you do get one then I can't wait to see pics. :D

juxie
01-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info guys :)

My bf really wants a Siberian Husky- so we'll see who wins out on this one :p

sumbirdy
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I used to own one. His name was Taxi but I wasn't old enough to really know a lot about the breed (and my parents took care of him)