PDA

View Full Version : Started dogs?

coco-bean
01-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey i keep seeing started dogs for sale on breeders websites, what exactly is a started dog?
does that mean already trained, but trained in what?

Ginger's Mom
01-14-2007, 08:01 PM
I assume that would mean in the show ring. They have started accumulating points toward their championship. :confused:

Riptide
01-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Or maybe started in basic obedience? I'm not exactly sure either.

dukedogsmom
01-14-2007, 08:02 PM
I googled it and it's to do with hunting dog, from what I gather. Here's one link:
http://www.versatiledogs.com/litters/started.html

Freedom
01-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Uh-HUH! STILL looking at petfinder is ALL you admitted to, as I recall! Looking at the breeder sites as well, huh? How many were you planning to get, and when? I know for me, I look and I want ALL OF THEM, RIGHT NOW!!

:D :D :D

Iilo
01-14-2007, 08:03 PM
"Started" isn't usually a conformation term -- usually a field trial/hunting/schutz term. It depends on what kind of dog you're looking at, basically. GSDs, Malinois, etc. usually mean Schutz, whereas retrievers usually mean hunting/retrieving.

borzoimom
01-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I am not sure about that term either.. Could be called " foundation dogs" but still doesnt sound like the same to me... And who would let a great dog go to someone else if they could take care of it... nope- looks like a hype word to me..

wolfsoul
01-14-2007, 08:04 PM
A started dog is one that has been partially trained in a certain area -- usually herding and hunting. It's usually a very young dog.

Flatcoatluver
01-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Started Labs would be hunting. Their is a lot of breeders that have started setters for hunting, so I assume that's what it means for labs.

cali
01-14-2007, 08:31 PM
depends on the breed, for a BC Started mean that dog is started as a working dog, they are past the crazy "OMG ITS SHEEP!" stage and have learned basic commands. started BCs are usually between 1-2 years old and cost WAAAYYYY more then a non started dog lol