PDA

View Full Version : my new dog wont eat her food

diane62651
01-14-2007, 05:58 PM
I adopted a new dog from our dog pound and iive had her for almost 2 weeks now and i cant get her to eat her dry food.i mixed some canned food in with the dry food after almost 3 days of her not eating.that morning when i took her out i seen that she had diarrea and later that day she started vomiting so i took her to the vet and she had a virus.shes on some meds but i cant get her to eat the dry food and i dont want to give her canned food.does anyone have any suggestions to get her to eat?she wont even touch any dog treats.she came from a bad enviorment and is afraid of my husband but is really good with me.shes a sharpei mix and is very sweet.but the canned food still gives her the runny stool.everyone says she'll eat when she gets hungry.

borzoimom
01-14-2007, 06:01 PM
First- I would take her to the vet. Being a new dog she could have a problem like a virus... Then lets go from there.. Keep us posted what the vet says..

tikeyas_mom
01-14-2007, 06:52 PM
well it sounds like she may have some sort of illness.. maybe you should contatc your vet, and have him/her do furthur testing on this poor pup.. what type of food are you feeding her? has she not eaten anything the whole time shes been there??

ashleycat
01-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Runner wouldn't eat either. And still won't when I want her to. She will eat if I leave her kibble out over night. When she knows no one is going to give her scraps because everyone is in bed.

And then she picks up her bowl and carries it to a comfy spot, lays down and eats one by one lol. :rolleyes:

mruffruff
01-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Since you've already taken her to the vet and know she has a virus, you must have some medication for her. How are you getting her to take it?

A dog can go for a few days without eating, but they need water. How is she doing with drinking?

How does she act? Tired? Depressed? Playful? Friendly? Scared? Stressed?

If she is OK otherwise, put her food down at the same time every day and pick it up after about a half hour. No treats in between. Dogs won't starve themselves to death in a few days. Maybe sprinkle a very little garlic powder on the food to encourage her. Canned food can cause diarhera. If that doesn't work, call your vet.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Have you tried her on plain boiled rice with maybe a bit of chicken or fish?

agilityk9trainer
01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
As she's got a virus, is on meds and under a vets care, I suggest you ask the vet this question. You can do it with a phone call. We could be giving you advice that would be harmful to your dog. Call your vet and get the right advice.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Have you tried her on plain boiled rice with maybe a bit of chicken or fish?
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Plain boiled rice with a little bit of boiled skinless chicken breast.