PDA

View Full Version : 20-gallon journal *pics added see last post*

Christmas_Hamster
01-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Well I have to re-setup my 20 gallon since the last of my fish passed away and it was over run with pond snails....ANYWAYS!

I thought I would keep you updated with my 20 gallon :) Right now it is empty. But as I start setting up the tank again I will get pictures :)

Info:
20 Gallon Tank
Gravel not sand
Fake plants
Whisper 30 gallon filter
50W heater
Fish: 8-10 female bettas and maybe some cories later on.

Zippy
01-14-2007, 02:46 PM
That sounds great.I want to have a female tank someday.

Flatcoatluver
01-14-2007, 02:50 PM
That sounds good. As soon as my cichlid (hopefully not soon) has past on I would love to have a female tank. Never had female bettas before. Are their personaitys kind of like males?

Chilli
01-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Female bettas are so much fun to have! Especially in a really nice planted tank, but I see you're going to use fake ones.
Anyway, best of luck to you! =]

Zippy
01-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Are their personaitys kind of like males?

I have had 2 female bettas and they are totally diff.
Coral is more hyper then my boys.Coral likes to flare at Libby,Ruby and Nemo.
Tugboat(RIP)was alwas calm and didn't flare at her brothers.

IRescue452
01-14-2007, 05:27 PM
In my experience, females are much more active. They make a hierarchy in a community tank which is great fun to watch.

Christmas_Hamster
01-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Well I lost my camera and the other one that I had. So I went on setting up the tank with out taking any pictures and then after I found my camera -_- So I do have a few pics which I will load soon. When I went to get my gravel today at Big Al's I noticed that they had dwarf goldfish!!!! So I might do a goldfish setup instead of a female betta sorority. I really want to setup a sorority but I have always wanted goldies :D

Chilli
01-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Dwarf goldfish? I've never heard of them... :/

Christmas_Hamster
01-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I decided not to get the goldies my Mom thought it was a better idea to get the female bettas :)

Christmas_Hamster
01-15-2007, 03:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Bobbyo/DSCF0378.jpg
with flash^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Bobbyo/DSCF0377.jpg
without flash^

IRescue452
01-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Thank you for rethinking goldfish in such a small tank. The dwarf goldfish thing really is just a sales gimmick. You'll love the female bettas anyway. They actually interact in groups whereas goldfish just swim and eat (love my goldies to death anyway).

Kalei
01-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow! You're tank is so beautiful, you are an amazing tank decorator!:D I should hire you to decorate mine so beautifully. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Bobbyo/DSCF0378.jpg

And that long plant is amazing, is it a real plant? I would just love to be able to get those things where I am. I live in such a little small town that we are lucky to even have fish lol. Let alone female bettas. I wish I was able to get some female bettas, but its so rare that you see them around my area. And the only real plants we get is the moss, nothing too attractive, I would get moss, but my goldfish would probably just lay eggs, and I don't want babies lol.

Once again, beautiful Tank! I compliment you greatly on it!:D

Chilli
01-15-2007, 05:41 PM
The tank looks pretty nice. =]
I agree with what IRescue452 said. You'll love female bettas! They're so fun to watch.

Christmas_Hamster
01-16-2007, 05:37 PM
thanks guys :D I can't wait to get some girlies!

None of the plants are real I hate having real plants because the snails always come with it :mad: They took over my tank last time. Icouldn't get rid of them. The big plant I got from dollarama. I discenfected it first and it make some nice hiding spots to :D

Kalei you could always try and order them on-line or find a breeder. I found a nearby breeder and might get a few cuties from her for my sorority, that is if she ever returns my e-mail :p

Kalei
01-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks so much! I will definately look around for them. I will try some on-line breeders:)

Genny
01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I would get moss, but my goldfish would probably just lay eggs, and I don't want babies lol.

Do gold fish have to have the water a certain temperature or something to lay eggs? I've had tons of goldfish, but none of them ever had babies.....

IRescue452
01-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Genny, you'd be surprised. In a goldfish tank it can take as little as an hour for all the eggs laid to have been eaten. Your's may have had eggs at one point in time. The temperature isn't the big thing, ph is. In my tanks it is currently 9 and there is no breeding. Eventually I will have to adjust a breeding tank for that purpose, but right now I'm holding off.

Kalei
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Do gold fish have to have the water a certain temperature or something to lay eggs? I've had tons of goldfish, but none of them ever had babies.....

No they really don't need a certain temperature, just the same temp that your tank is all the time. The only is that goldfish will only really lay eggs if they feel they are in the environment too and that there is a safe place to lay there eggs. Like my tank, it only has decorations and fake plants in it, so my goldfish don't feel like there is any place to lay eggs safely, but one time I had a very real plant in there that had lots of leaves eggs could hide in, and sure enough my big Queen layed eggs. Some hatched but they never did live. I took some out of the tank and put them into a smaller safer tank where a filter couldn't get them and the other goldfish couldn't eat them, and they lived for over 2 months and then got to a certain point where they just wouldn't get any bigger no matter what, they just stayed less than a centametre big. Then sooner or later they died. Anyways, for your goldfish to lay eggs, they might do it if you had a really good plant that could hide eggs in, like live fish moss:)

Flatcoatluver
01-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Gorgeus tank. I have been so lucky with all of the real plants I have gotten, no snails at all. But fake plants are much easier.

Genny
01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
oh! ok! cool...
My angel fish layed some eggs about 4 weeks ago... There was about 100, but not there is only 6 left. I think they'll live. I hope so!