PDA

View Full Version : Thankfully, none of you will consider me crazy!

Sevaede
01-14-2007, 03:07 AM
I hope! :D

It's almost three in the morning here. I've spent the last thirty minutes outside (in the rain, big whoop) trying to rescue, more or less, a cat.

I was sitting here, reading, when I heard a yowl. A deep, painful, yowl. Somebody-please-come-help-me-save-me-from-the-drop-of-water yowl. I've been hearing this yowl for about a week now. I'm not sure if this is the same cat as someone recently moved in and there are tons of stray cats around here. Plus, I've never seen this cat before. Okay. Back to the yowl. So, I heard the yowl and decided enough was enough. I was going to investigate and do what I could.

I grabbed a cup of NB, a pet taxi, and a flashlight. I set the pet taxi on my front step and ventured to the side of the house where I originally heard the yowl (under the window I was sitting by). Now, moving to Louisiana, you learn that houses, much like cemetaries, are raised off of the ground due to flooding and sea level issues. So, most houses do not have basements but are raised with lots of open crawl space under them. The one here has a white picket fence that blocks all the open spaces except for three. One on one side, one in the front next to that one, and one on the other side (as in left and right if you're looking at it from the front).

At first, I couldn't see anything and then I shined my light a bit to the side. A white face trimmed with orange stared back at me, frozen in fear, and was trying to make the split second decision; run or cooperate? He decided to run. So, I walked around and saw him. The first things I noticed was that his most of his body is orange and his fur is medium length. I shook the thing of cat food and he noticed. He ran.

I tried to go back to the original spot. That was when I discovered that my landlady had had floodlights installed and I tripped them. At the very same time, a police car slowly drove by. Now, I wonder if they (two police in a car, always, here) had seen me and thought, "Gee, a woman shining a flashlight under a house, in the rain, while shaking a cup, and meowing at the house? Perfectly normal, let's move along." and they did so.

I tried going around and around the house but have not been able to see the kitty since. I have also not heard from him/her. Tomorrow, I will put out some wet food and hopefully be able to grab him up and see what happens from there. Any other suggestions? I hope I can help him. :)

catmandu
01-14-2007, 06:03 AM
I have done the same thing telling the Porch Cats when I have put something out for them in the rain and snow.
I sing to them, and then see if they will let me pet them.
Believe it or not there another Black Cat out there, a bruiser boy , Mellow Yellow, a Gray and White Cat and a Brown Tabby.
Lots of food for the Porchies.

kb2yjx
01-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the crazy world of cat rescue!!! I have done it in blizzards, rain, and whatever other weather is out there!!! YOU ARE DOING A GOOD THING for this Orangie!!! Keep up posted on how things turn out!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Kalei
01-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Yes you are helping this little kitty alot just by putting food out in the porch. I very much hope that you will be able to catch the kitty and help him out as much as possible. We rescued a kitty here once.

I live in a trailer park and there are quite a few kitties around, although most of htem have homes so you can't tell which ones don't. Anyways one night me and my mother heard this terrible meowing coming from outside, it was a winter night and it was way in the negatives numbers of cold. so we went outside and found a beautiful tabby cat beside our porch. At first it was slightly timid to come but then when you called it, it suddenly came right up to me and rubbed all over my legs and purred, but it was still meowing because it was so cold. so I continued to call it so it would follow me up the steps and soon enough it followed me inside the house.:D I was so happy. The first thing me and my mom did was get a bowl full of food, and she was so so hungry that she ate it all up in seconds.

We felt so bad for the kitty, we figured that someone probably moved and didn't want to take their cat, so they abandoned it, cause its fur was so beautiful and you could tell it had beent taken care of not too long ago. So the kitty stayed with us that night, all nice and warm and full, and we asked some people we know if they were looking for a cat. They said no. And then we asked some people we know if they wanted a cat. One girl that we've known for a long time wanted a cat, she came and seen it the day after and she fell in love with her. so from this day on, that beautiful cat is happy with a forever home.:D Sorry that my story was so long.

Freedom
01-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Haha, you are SO right! Others may think you ARE crazy, but here, we all think as you do!

Thanks for a great write up, I read it out loud to Dad this AM and we both had a nice chuckle. Then had to dash for church, so I couldn't post a reply until now.

I wish you all the best in catching this kitty - preferably soon, in daylight, sunny weather!

rg_girlca
01-14-2007, 02:34 PM
What Are You Crazy Or Something!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: ;)

*Snicker, snicker* Sorry, just had to say that before someone else did. :D

Bless you for going out of your way to help this little kitty. Do you think that he might have ran out on the other side without you knowing and that's why you haven't heard him again. Or maybe he is just too frightened at the moment. Keep putting food down and see what happens. If you should see him again, put food down and then step away and stay still. If he goes to eat, just talk very gently to him. In time you will earn his trust.

Please keep us posted. :)