PDA

View Full Version : Can someone with Firefox please help me out?

Riptide
01-14-2007, 01:30 AM
I've been messing around with some code, just because I need to refine my HTML coding a little more. It works in IE, but I just want to make sure that it works in FireFox. Would someone be willing to take a glance at this website layout I put together, and make sure everything fits? There should be nothing outside the dark blue lines, except for lighter blue margins. [you'll need to be in full screen]

http://www.freewebs.com/swiftpawlayout/p4.html

Here's a screenshot of what it's supposed to look like, if that helps ^^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Dynamutt/spt.jpg

Thanks SO much to anyone whose willing to check it out for me :D

captain
01-14-2007, 03:45 AM
Howdy!

I opened your site in IE7 and Firefox 1.5.0.9
They both looked different to your snapshot!

IE (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid222/p229ed29bc8544e683f73ee5a796d9a49/eb1a2fe4.jpg)

Firefox (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid222/pacf2109d43d10749e4d2251f5e116ca0/eb1a2fdc.jpg)

Hope that helps you abit :D

crow_noir
01-14-2007, 04:01 AM
Mine sort of looked like you FF version, but not to wide. ( I'm on FF 2.something) (and already miss 1.5!!!)

Riptide
01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
ohhh crud. lol, that'll need some fixing. Thanks for letting me know!

Jessika
01-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Try running your code through a validator to work out any kinks or errors you may have in the code itself.

Code correctly if at all possible (close ALL open tags, use the proper hierarchy, etc), that will also help a lot

Umm also don't mix absolute and relative positioning. And if you are going to use percentages for widths and stuff, use percentages for everything. Or if you use pixels, use pixels for everything, try not to mix unless you know exactly what you're doing.

To center a table in FireFox you have to go about it a different way because I do not believe you can use the center tag.

Dangit I really wish I had more time to help you out since I DO know I can figure it out, however I was just stopping by and have to leave for my honeymoon in less than an hour. So... I was just throwing out random tidbits of info that are common problems when trying to get a site to look correct in both IE and FF.

Worse case scenario, if you are familiar with CSS, google "ie underscore hack". Don't let the name fool you, it isn't REALLY a "hack", but it is a way to code a .css file so you can make code for JUST IE and make code for JUST FF using the same .css file. :)

Good luck!!!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. However the tables are stretched for me in FF also. Oooh another tidbit of info... if you have a static background image and you want the layout to line up with your background image, make sure you view it in different resolutions because with my screen resolution that isn't matching up as well (I use 1280x1024). Sorry.... and good luck!

Jessika
01-14-2007, 01:42 PM
OH OH OH I think I noticed something! You have the table tag...but you have no cells or rows! That might be a problem!

A proper table with one row and one column should look like this:

<table>
<tr>
<td> text and information goes here </td>
</tr>
</table>

If you want to add more colums, you add more <td> and </td> between any <tr> and </tr> tags. If you want to add more rows, simply add another <tr> and </tr>

For example,a table with two columns and two rows:

<table>

<tr>
<td> cell one </td>
<td> cell two </td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> cell three</td>
<td> cell four</td>
</tr>
</table>

Good luck I hope I help if even a little bit. OH you can also add the width tag to the table tag like you were doing.

Riptide
01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Jessika! THANK YOU so so much! That helps like a TON!

EDIT; another question. to fix the whole background-lining-up-with-layout issue, would it just be easier to use frames?

...and another, lol. Does the background image being "fixed" affect the main image, in which I just used <center> tags? (just wondering about the absolute and relative positioning)

Jessika
01-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Woohoo I'm here in Colorado now after driving hours and hours through freezing rain, snow packed interstates and snow hehehe

Anyway now I have a little more time to help now that we're settled in :)

About the background, there is a CSS way to center the background in the browser window so it will be in the center regardless of resolution. You can also tell the image to ONLY repeat on the x axis, or only to repeat on the y-axis. For example... It will be inserted into the body tag and look something like this:

<body style="background: url(http://domain.com/urltoimage.jpg) repeat-y center;">

That tells the browser to center the image in the browser window and to ONLY repeat the image vertically but not horizontally.

Play around with it a little bit; you'll get the hang of it. :)

Good luck!!

Ooh, also, the background being "static" will have nothing to do with the placement of the header image or any content on the page :)