PDA

View Full Version : Long Fur and Static Electricity

Catty1
01-13-2007, 09:24 PM
My fluffy boy Cole is likely more used to the static electricity than I am.

It is winter here, and I am wondering if there is anything safe I can stroke on his fur that will reduce the static charge. Obviously, I don't want to use a hair conditioner or fabric softener that would be poisonous to him.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

catmandu
01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I have never had a Cat that furry.
Do things stick to Cole when he walks by.
I believe that happened to my Mothers Cat Missy who was an Angorra Persian.

mrspunkysmom
01-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Some research. I wish mine would let me goorm them.

grooming for a cat show (http://www.hdw-inc.com/catshowsgrooming.htm)

Excerpt:

A long-haired kitten such as a Persian should be groomed from an early age so that it becomes used to the routine and will actually learn to enjoy it. Place the kitten firmly but gently on a non-slippery table surface facing away from you. Starting at the head, comb gently with a wide-toothed metal comb (no more than 10 teeth to the inch) 'against the grain'. For the sides of the body, lift the fur and comb downwards a small portion at a time. Brush from tail to head and upwards on the sides with a natural bristle brush, separating each hair. Do not use a nylon brush, as it can build up static electricity in the fur and actually encourage tangling. Pay special attention to the areas behind the ears and elbows, on the flanks and abdomen and under the tail. When you encounter any mats or knots, gently work them out carefully or you may leave bald or patchy areas behind. Once a week, it is recommended that you part the coat and sprinkle lightly with baby powder, then brush out the powder. The powder acts as a dry shampoo and helps to remove any remaining dirt or grease from the fur.

Cat's hygiene (http://life.familyeducation.com/cats/hygiene/45696.html)

Excerpt:

Brushing a completely dry coat can create static electricity and can also break hair. If your cat will allow it, lightly mist his fur with water from a spray bottle (one spritz of fine mist per area is plenty) before brushing. Most cats won't allow such rude behavior on your part. If this sounds like your cat, spray the brush instead.

Anne

Catlady711
01-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Pooky gets alot of static also. I picked up some spray at a cat show that seems to work really well on him. It's supposed to be all natural with no alcohol, although it doesn't truely state it's exact ingredients. I have used it for several years on Pooky & occasionally Jack without any problems. I don't know if you can find it at a pet store or not but it's called...

Anti-stat, conditioner & detangler by House of An-Ju

The bottle I'm using is a 4oz that simply says it came from the House of An-Ju however there apparently is an 8oz bottle available from a location in Cleveland, OH according to the lable. However I did find a link online that has House of An-Ju products including the anti-static spray.

http://www.domainehaisha.com/products/textes/anju.htm

slick
01-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Max has long hair and so do I. We both get static at this time of year but I/we just put up with it. I'll have to try misting him, although the spray bottle means something else. ;)

cassiesmom
02-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I never thought of using powder. Cassie gets "staticky" in winter and I've suspected it's from lack of humidity in the building.

sprokett
02-09-2007, 05:46 AM
My aunties cat has long fur and it sometimes get static what kind of brush do you brush him with???

Medusa
02-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Believe it or not, lightly smooth an unscented Bounce sheet over him, just as though you're petting him. It doesn't penetrate the skin, so it won't hurt him and it helps to keep the static down.

Blessings,
Mary

QueenScoopalot
02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
The best way to reduce static in the house during Winter time is by adding moisture to the air. Either a vaporizer, or by simmering a big pot of water on the stove. Both work like a charm. ;) Fabric softener sheets are filled with chemicals, and I'd be reluctant to subject a kitty to them. Makes them smell pretty, but not a good idea.

Medusa
02-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Yes, I wouldn't use fabric softeners either but an unscented Bounce sheet is ok. I never tried simmering water, just water and the cats would get into it. I do have a small fountain in the foyer and that seems to help but Pidge is the cat w/the longest hair and she HATES being brushed, so the Bounce keeps her from looking like Cosmic Cat. :p

Blessings,
Mary

Catty1
02-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Medusa did suggest an unscented Bounce sheet - and that it didn't hurt the cats as it didn't touch the skin.

They might lick it, though - and I had the same concern about powder...

Then I thought - CORN STARCH!

Cole will smell like a snack! :D

Medusa
02-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Hmmm, I didn't even think about the licking. I must be having a blonde day. But I use it only on the top of Pidge's back and if she can lick there, she's quite the acrobat. ;)

Blessings,
Mary