PDA

View Full Version : Whats so wrong with black?

coco-bean
01-13-2007, 05:22 PM
I heard something upsetting to me today, i take it personal just because two of my 3 dogs at my house are black and i love them all equal!!
One of my receptionist at the salon i supervise told me one of her friends just recently bought a lab puppy, a black one, but they decided to give it back because the kids were sick of it already and it didnt play enough! (DUH...if it's a puppy, it can only play so long before it gets tired)but anyways my receptionist said that they took it back mainly because they didnt want black, they wanted a yellow one! GGRR... it made me really mad when she said that! There's nothing wrong with black dogs, i love them! i'd never give up coco or cainan just for being black! I was just very upset when i heard this and needed to vent! thanks!

applesmom
01-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Don't take it personal! ;) There's nothing wrong with black. It's just a matter of personal preference, just like individuals preferring different breeds.

If they're convinced they don't like black dogs, it's in the puppy's best interest that they don't have a black one.

Kalei
01-13-2007, 05:49 PM
You are very right, there is nothing wrong with black at all! In fact your dogs are very beautiful, I love black animals, i have a black bunny! And Black labs are very pretty, I can understand why you were take it personal seeing as you have two black labs, but I guess the people taking them back preferred the yellow labs, although I still think that is no reason to take a dog back, it shouldn't really matter what color the dog is, specially after you have it home. You should love them for their personality:) You have gorgeous dogs, don't forget that.:)

Suki Wingy
01-13-2007, 06:11 PM
You need to teach them a dog is for life, not just a toy.

luvofallhorses
01-13-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.blackpearldogs.com/

I have a black lab mix and he's the best dog ever! I truly think black dogs are one of the best! :)

Husky15
01-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Everyone has their preferences, but if they would give up a puppy just because it is black then they shouldn't have gotten a black one in the first place. I mean, usually when someone has a color preference in dogs they buy the color they like, not the one they don't like. Sounds like they're not even ready for a puppy/dog anyway. But I wouldn't take it personally. It doesn't sound like the person was attacking your preferences or your dogs, just stating that s/he doesn't like them as much as the yellows. Personally, I have always loved the black labs. But I really do love them all, so it wouldn't matter to me which color I got if I were to get one.

Still, these people sound pretty irresponsible.

tikeyas_mom
01-13-2007, 08:16 PM
i think that is one of thr stupidest reasons to give back a puppy... usually breeders wont let you have a color preference if they are a reputable breeder anyways... I want my next siberian husky to be a red one, but if I fall in love with a black, or silver, or white one so be it... I just dont get that.. When Evbony had her puppies we had people call and ask us to save the chocolate and tan one over the phone :eek:, that was before they even met him, or the other puppies.. or Ebony.. :mad: .. Well I'll just tell you that they got my 2 cents...

Logan
01-13-2007, 09:29 PM
I have had two Yellow Labs in my life and I loved both of them, dearly, until they left us at 15 years old (both of them). My "dream" would be to have a Black Lab. I LOVE their beautiful, shiny coats, and yours are no exception. I will never, ever understand why colors matter.

Kfamr
01-13-2007, 09:46 PM
There seems to me some sort of weird thing with people and black dogs. A lot of shelter dogs are black and a lot of dogs get overlooked for being black. I suppose lighter colored dogs are more appealing to people? Me.. I'll take any color!

Flatcoatluver
01-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I love black dogs! Wouldn't be a flat-coat luver if I didn't.

But that is horrible. Those people don't deserve to have a dog. People are so dumb. The kids are tired of the dog, why get another. :mad:

Danegirl2208
01-13-2007, 10:12 PM
There seems to me some sort of weird thing with people and black dogs. A lot of shelter dogs are black and a lot of dogs get overlooked for being black. I suppose lighter colored dogs are more appealing to people? Me.. I'll take any color!

very true Kay..its sad...black dogs are "common" in some peoples eyes, its sad. I love black dogs, kais black and both my rainbow bridge boys were black too.

Heres a video i found browsing youtube a while back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZ3SaR4FUw

junescrater716
01-13-2007, 11:43 PM
I love black animals. They bring luck to me. I had a black cat and she was my favorite out of all of my pets. I think thats why I favor Oliver so much. He is black and I love him to death.

Taz_Zoee
01-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Awe, that video brought tears to my eyes. And now that I think about it....growing up we always had black dogs. Lab and/or Chow mixes, German Shepherds. I think the only two that weren't black were a St. Bernard mix and a blue merle Aussie. (oh and my parents still have a min-pin, red) And we had LOTS of dogs growing up!!

lute
01-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Black is beautiful! :D

wolfsoul
01-14-2007, 12:26 AM
I think it's just the idea of the common, big black dog. People see it as a boring, everyday thing. It seems different with Belgians -- everywhere I go, everyone says they want a dog that looks just like mine. I like my black dogs. Would have a groenendael over a tervuren any day.

k9friend
01-14-2007, 12:40 AM
One of my cats is black and my dane is black. BLACK POWER!!! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-14-2007, 01:04 AM
As was already said, black dogs are very common and a lot of people just find them boring to look at. Black dogs also tend to scare people more easily for some reason. I like black dogs and besides certain reds (like Tollers) and chocolate, black is my favourite colour (with or without markings). I think the colour of a dog is a rediculous reason reason to get rid of it though. Eventhough my favourite coat colours are reds and browns, I wouldn't get rid of a dog because it was white or black.

GreyhoundGirl
01-14-2007, 07:00 AM
I get:

*Black dogs are male :rolleyes: Please don't get me started
*Black dogs are more aggresive (with humans and dogs)
*black dogs are ugly

Complete nonsense, the lot of them. Anyways, I did get "some" truth as to why people prefer black dogs. Because most dogs have brown eyes and so you cannot see the dogs eyes in many pictures, especially if they are really dark brown eyes.

TFTpwnsYou
01-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Yeah. I wouldn't take it personally twards you. People have color preferences just as they do with certain breeds. Although the "not playing enough" is rediculous. It was just a baby. It makes me wonder though...what if she has those kids that just don't stop playing no matter what? Any dog they get is going to get that way, and if it's an older one I wouldn't be shocked if it bit one.

cali
01-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I dont get the black phobia thing myself, I mean whats more gorgous then a glossy black coat? other colours never look as glossy and black does lol I mean Electra;s coat in the right lighting looks bright rich and glossy, but my black dogs? their coats ALWAYS looks bright rich and glossy :p

coco-bean
01-14-2007, 05:57 PM
i love black dogs, i think they are beautiful and have just as much if not more personality than any other dog!
I remember when i got coco, my dad asked me "why did you get a black dog though, they dont have anything to offer"
well dad, they have love to offer, not just black but any color! and i told him "you know what dad coco has more personality in a dog than i've ever seen all my life" and i've had alot of dogs from the time i was just little till the time i moved out of the house! all shapes and sizes, breeds and colors! and coco is a "person" to me, there's nothing she doesnt understand, she's a great dog whether or not her color is black, she is filled with love to give and personality for me to get to know!

today i worked at petco(i work in the grooming dept.) and sometimes the cashiers come into the salon to see the dogs we have in there! One of the cashiers came in, ohh i'd say 3 times throughout the day and i had coco with me for her bath! Well i just have to say she didnt once glance down and look at her! she was swooning at all the yellow labs i had in their cages and the small (white might i add) dogs that were in the cages above! I was sad...coco loves people and they give her nothing! They'd rather pet the light colored dogs, just because they have bright fur! well you know what...my coco is bright to me! She's the brightest star in my[U] whole galaxy!
just dont get it sometimes! im glad there are people who do love black dogs...cause theirs plenty of them that need some love!

*LabLoverKEB*
01-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Aww, that's just awful, dogs/animals should NOT be judged because of their color. :mad: :mad: :(