PDA

View Full Version : What does my cat have?

Kalei
01-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone! I have always been wondering what it is that my cat has and what it is called. Ever since my cat was born he has had a very bad snotting problem (not sneezing, literally snotting big long green boogers out). He was born on a farm with many other cats and when I was 4 my parents drove to this farm and picked him up. I've known that many farm cats actually have this snotting problem so I figure its some kind of common problem with cats born on a farm. But I"m not sure. He is 15 years old now and still has the problem.

For many years we tried to help him and cure it, many vet trips and many different pills and medicines boughten for him, but nothing has ever worked. I'm a very lucky person to still have my beloved Bobo just because he has such a snotting problem, my parents have always hated it, but I always just laugh and clean it up, after 15 years all you can really do is laugh when you find a long green loogie on the wall. lol. Anyway does anybody think they might know what he has or maybe what might help him? It would help me out alot. :)

Here's my precious soulmate:
http://hosting.showthatimage.com/8FC1458D-D968-4D39-869E444CD2032786.jpg

xcolbi
01-13-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm looking through my book right now on diagnosing cats, but I can't seem to find anything :( If I do find anything, I'll post back ;)

catmandu
01-13-2007, 09:51 AM
I would have said an upper respitory problem , but if it has lasted this long , I would have to say maybe an allergy.
I have never heard of this problem in a Cat.
Hes one Handsome Siamese , and a Graet Companion to his Meowmie for these many years.
What a Great Cat Bobo is, and my Bo Bo sends loves and kisses.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Bo.jpg

Bo Bo says this room for one more Meezer in here.

Kalei
01-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank you so much Catmandu and Xcolbi for trying to help me. Yeah it is a weird problem, he's the only one I know that has ever had it, If he has allergies I don't know what it would be to, we have had to bring him to my grandmothers house sometimes when we were traveling for her to look after him, and even at her house he still did it. Hopefully he isn't allergic to cat fur:p But yes he is a great soulmate! And he is healthy as a pig. He's so healthy I think he'll live way past 20 lol, the snotting problem dosen't seem to bother him or his health at all, its just a thing he has. :confused: Snotting or not he still comes under the covers with me everynight:D Thankfully he doesn't snot on me lol.

Kalei
01-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Bumpidy bump........

Catlady711
01-13-2007, 11:06 PM
We had a cat come in a year or so ago, which had similar symptoms as you describe. We tried all the usual treatments and nothing seemed to really help the poor kitty. Eventually a diagnosis of Herpes (aka. Rhinotracheitis) was given and the cat put on L-lysine and seems to be alot better. From what I understand it may never be totally normal again, but at least it's a big improvement.

I dunno if this is what your cat has, however if it's an unvaccinated barn cat from unvaccinated parents I suppose it's possible that your cat has the same problem.

kb2yjx
01-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, Rielly was put on the L-lysine for a herpes eye infection and it healed and never returned!!!

Kalei
01-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks so much for the information. I will have to look into that herpes and about the L-lysine. I think sometime I might actually try the vet one more time to see if they will finally find out how to help him. Thanks everyone for helping:) It's greatly appreciated.