PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of forum just for photos?

applesmom
01-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Since I'm fairly new here I might have missed a discussion on the subject of photos. If I did, maybe someone can point me in the right direction. :)

I enjoy the discussions and am happy to be a member of Pet Talk. But here's my dilemma. With only being able to pop in and out whenever I have some spare time, I simply don't have enough time to open every new thread. As a result I waste time, (it's not really wasted but it's the only way to make my meaning clear ) opening threads with nothing but photos.

When I have extra time, I thoroughly enjoy relaxing and oohing and aahing over photos of all the teriffic pets that have been posted.

Many pet discussions have a topic just for photos and a seperate one for actual discussions.

Am I the only one that thinks it might be a benefit to have a photo topic seperate from the general discussions in order to speed things up when time is short?

Twisterdog
01-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Not a bad idea. I have an old, slow computer and it takes forever to open photo threads. Not that I don't like them, I just can't wait for them.

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I prefer Pet Talk's set up over other boards with forums just for pictures. I don't know why, but I always have. I like having pictures, stories, etc. all under one forum. However, I wouldn't be against it if it helped people with slow computers and such.

wolf_Q
01-13-2007, 12:50 AM
I prefer it the way it is, but that's just my opinion. Most people put something like "pics" or "photos" in the subject line for a photo thread. Also you can hold your mouse over the thread title and read the first few lines of the thread...I usually do that before opening a thread. It will give you a pretty good idea if it is text, photos, or both.

Cinder & Smoke
01-13-2007, 01:17 AM
... in order to speed things up when time is short?

You can choose to NOT see the Images in posts >>>

* Click on User CP (Control Panel) in the upper click bar

* Under Control Panel / Setting & Options in the left panel >>>

* Click on Edit Options

* Scroll Down to the THIRD Box = Visible Post Elements ...
You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

* Show Signatures
* Show Avatars
* Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

UN-check the "Show Images" box for starters ... now you won't "see" ANY Photographs.

Also consider UN-checking "Show Signatures" ... some of them can add a
lot of time to loading a page.

When you have time - go back and RE-check the Show Images to see the photos again.

/s/ Phred

applesmom
01-13-2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks, I hadn't looked into those options before I opened my mouth. Or should I say typed my words? :eek: :o

catnapper
01-13-2007, 07:19 AM
I have been to other forums where there was a discussion side and a photo side... it was awful. I love how Karen and Paul have it set up

areias
01-13-2007, 08:45 AM
On another board I am on, they have their own picture uploading service. People can upload their images into their own gallery, and then post them as thumbnails, thus allowing the page to load more quickly, and they can sift through the ones they might like and open them to make them bigger.

Maybe this is something worth looking into? I would imagine it would take some more coding though.

Randi
01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
I like it the way it is, except for the picture threads where people haven't resized them at all. These threads must be pretty slow to open for people with modems. :eek:

As far as I remember, there was/is a limit of images posted in each post of 8 (eight!). I don't know if this is still valid, but I do know that signatures have a limit of 25k. Concerning other images posted, I'm not sure there is a limit.

On another Forum I know that are using vBulletin 3.6.4, they have a limit of 75k for posting images. If it's bigger, it just won't upload. Perhaps Karen and Paul could do the same here, if this vBulletin version allows it.

Kfamr
01-13-2007, 10:33 PM
I prefer it the way it is, but that's just my opinion. Most people put something like "pics" or "photos" in the subject line for a photo thread. Also you can hold your mouse over the thread title and read the first few lines of the thread...I usually do that before opening a thread. It will give you a pretty good idea if it is text, photos, or both.

Ditto. I like it the way it is. :)

Pam
01-13-2007, 10:45 PM
On another board I am on, they have their own picture uploading service. People can upload their images into their own gallery, and then post them as thumbnails,

I belong to a poodle forum like that but we can actually do a similar thing here already. When you want to post a picture just post it as an attachment and it comes up in thumbnail size. Then people can click on it if they want to see it full size.

I like things the way they are now. So often a photo goes along with a story.

cloverfdx
01-14-2007, 07:24 AM
I prefer it the way it already is aswell :).

CathyBogart
01-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I like it the way it is. Good idea though. :)

DrKym
01-14-2007, 04:21 PM
I like it the way it is also. :)

chocolatepuppy
01-14-2007, 04:40 PM
I like it just the way it is. ;)

borzoimom
01-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I like it the way it is also. :)
I think it personalizes it more- its like talking to more than just type. Also using the curser gives you a idea what you are going to read about- that is a nice feature.
I noticed most people say photos and how many. After all- I come here not to just read, but to see as well, and I love the pictures. Also, as someone that came from a all typed forum, adding photos of what you are talking about is like a 3 ring circus- load to tinypics etc- then copy and paste-.. Shoot- the only time we have to do that here is for our signature- or if more photos than 5 for manage attachments. I use manage attachments for photos- its quicker to load, and you can choose to see the photos or not.

luvofallhorses
01-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Ditto. I like it the way it is. :)

same here. :)

dukedogsmom
01-14-2007, 08:55 PM
You know the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I like it just the way it is.

Chilli
01-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Add me to the list of "keep it as is". =D
Really, once you think about it, the general section for animals is basically just pictures... if we made a different forum for pictures, then I believe the general section wouldn't be as active.

Sonia59
01-17-2007, 11:28 AM
if we made a different forum for pictures, then I believe the general section wouldn't be as active.

My thoughts too.
As I do not have time to read and open every thread, if there would be a separate photo section I would tend to look at this one first :rolleyes: and I would miss more than I miss now. With mixed stories/photos threads, at least I keep being informed in the same time as looking at pictures. And I think it is more dynamic to have the sections as they are now.

Queen of Poop
01-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Count me in, I love it the way it is.