PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Plea! And *WARNING GRAPHIC PICS*

QueenScoopalot
01-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I got this email via one of the several Yahoo Groups I receive digest form emails from. This baby has really upset me seeing her pictures, and knowing the awful pain she must be going through, and yet she sits there in the pictures looking like nothing is wrong. :( Talk about a stoic creature! :eek: Unless this whole thing has been Photoshopped, and is a scam, it has me convinced that Daisy is a hurting kitty, and although I have barely the means to keep my own rescue thing going on here, perhaps some PTers may help? :confused: Here's the link...and to me it looks quite legitimate, but perhaps it should be looked into closer? The thing that makes me wonder is how does a cat with a leg torn from top to bottom look so painfree? :confused:
http://www.straycatalliance.org/daisy.html

buttercup132
01-12-2007, 07:36 PM
:eek: :( :mad: People are so stupid!

Catlady711
01-12-2007, 08:20 PM
knowing the awful pain she must be going through, and yet she sits there in the pictures looking like nothing is wrong. The thing that makes me wonder is how does a cat with a leg torn from top to bottom look so painfree? :confused:
http://www.straycatalliance.org/daisy.html

It's highly possible. Animals are very good at hiding illness (weakness). We recently had two cases come in that are along this line.

1) owner called with cat who had a 'broken leg' which was over a week since the injury, after rescheduling it for yet another week later the cat finally gets to come in (mind you this is 2 weeks since the injury). Cat turns out not to have a simple 'broken leg' but in fact the entire foot is missing!! Bare bone is potruding out from what is left of it's thigh, and it's using the bone that remained to walk on!! I can't tell you how I shivered hearing that boney stub clicking on the metal tables as it walked around. However the cat itself was purring (a happy purr), leaning in for a cheek scratching, and pushing it's front feet the whole time we examined it.

2) This week we had owner call saying 'cat's tail was half falling off'. When it came in, turns out the tail had actually already been amputated and only a thin strip of fur/skin was holding it on there. Injury appeared to be several days old as it was full of pus. However cat itself was purring (happy purr), enjoying the ear scratches, and doing the 'elevator butt' thing when we examined it.

So in the case of this cat in the link, it's quite possible for it to appear normal despite a very nasty injury. That is why it's up to owners to be ever watchful of ANYTHING different or unusual in our pets.

Kalei
01-12-2007, 09:10 PM
It looks very suspicious to me, but if that is a cat with a real torn leg, then I feel so so bad for it, from the pics it looks terrible. I hope that poor poor cat gets a good forever home.

mrspunkysmom
01-12-2007, 11:30 PM
My money says the photo has been touched-up a lot. I used PSP to enlarge the photo and I saw evidence of touch up and pasting.

Also the thrid picture of the leg/thigh does not match the coloring and is of a hind leg or so it appears.

I may be wrong. I am suspicious of everything.

I couldn't find anything pro or con on the photo when I searched. I went to the actual site and googled "daisy" and the search engine couldn't find her, but I could find other pages at the site.

Interesting.

Anne

jennielynn1970
01-12-2007, 11:34 PM
OMG.... How long are they going to wait to get it repaired?! Are they actually going to wait until they raise all the money?! There are vets out there that will work with rescues and discount surgeries, or give them payment plans.

Lizzie
01-13-2007, 01:14 AM
My money says the photo has been touched-up a lot. I used PSP to enlarge the photo and I saw evidence of touch up and pasting.

Also the thrid picture of the leg/thigh does not match the coloring and is of a hind leg or so it appears.

I may be wrong. I am suspicious of everything.

I couldn't find anything pro or con on the photo when I searched. I went to the actual site and googled "daisy" and the search engine couldn't find her, but I could find other pages at the site.

Interesting.

Anne

The last picture may be of one of the burns she suffered. What doesn't make sense to me is that they state her leg has been sliced open. What is left of her leg is so withered, how can they tell what happened to it? Surely the people who brought her in didn't wait for ?months after her leg was sliced open and until it became little more than a shred of dried flesh.

CultureJunky
01-13-2007, 02:37 AM
OH MY GOD :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(
This cannot be real, please say that's not real!
though looking closer at it it does look like the leg has withered almost away so it could be real.
Oh my god, i have never seen anything like it.
Whoever did this should be shot dead point blank range as far as I'm concerned.
Is anybody sending money?
The website look legitimate.

I'll ask Kevin to look at it closer and see if he can see anything if it's been done on photoshop, he's very good at that he may be able to see something we cant'.

katrina
01-13-2007, 07:06 AM
omg that leg looks sooo bad that it dosent even look like a leg! i never saw anything like that before!! :confused:

QueenScoopalot
01-13-2007, 12:06 PM
I would think her pictures & story would be elsewhere on the website like the "home" page! I clicked on every link on the website and there's no mention of Daisy anywhere. It's all sort of odd to me, but if this is for real they should attend to her injuries NOW and not wait for donations to trickle in. :mad: I'm sure if they had the media come in and get her pictures and story out to the public instead of via the internet, there will be more than enough to cover all expenses and then some.

CultureJunky
01-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Kevin says it is possible it's been photoshopped and that they would have to take the leg off and paste on something from a different picture, or it could be a three legged cat and they've added that bit on.
Though having looked close it seems to look like a leg and paw, and the colours on the leg on the third picture match the colours on daisy's head.

Queen scoop alot at you going to email them at all to see if you can find out more?
I also noticed that there is no mention of daisy on the rest of the website having go over it a few times to search it, surely that would be TOP priority if it's such an extreme emergency case?

Medusa
01-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Without examining it too closely, the pic does seem to be doctored. But as for lack of a pained expression, that's entirely possible. My Peeka (RIP) was my first rescue. Kids had tried to skin her alive and they managed to strip all the fur from her tail except for a little tuft on the end. Plus it was broken and dragged on the ground. She had been in -18 degree weather for 3 days when she came to me and believe it or not, she was purring. I know that cats do purr to comfort themselves sometimes but she was purring nonetheless. She had to have her tail amputated and she lived to be 14 years old before acute renal failure took her. But even when she had nothing but salve and antibiotics to comfort her until Monday morning, (of course, this had to happen on a Sunday), she slept w/me and purred all night. You'd never know she was in pain.

Blessings,
Mary

mrspunkysmom
01-13-2007, 11:15 PM
I use PSP to crop, clean up photos, and do artwork to photos. I split the channels to look for evidence and found several blocky sections on the splits as evidence of editing. I used a photo of Mr. Spunky as comparison and saw no such "blocks of pixels" on his photo. This could also have been a low-density photo, but that would not account for obvious editing "blocks" that do not blend in well with the surrounding areas. The person when copying and pasting used rectangles instead of free-form areas. I can post some of my findings at photobucket if you are interested.

Daisy's whiskers are also messed up in the photo. The bad leg appears to continue under her front leg and extend. It also appears to have been edited out at that point. It looks like dirt on the blanket.

As far as the purring:
Find below many interesting articles on why cats purr. I like the Wikipedia article best and have heard one of the newer theories recently on a science program. One theory is that the low frequencies of purring may be beneficial on a cellular level (like kitty meditation or yoga) for physical healing. (I swear that cats are aliens or at least a superior species.) It works on us, too. (Which might be one way to get us to help a distressed cat.)

My favorite reason and one I know I have observed is that the cat is communicating to us that he/she wants or need our attention or help. Logically this would support why an injured cat purrs. My cats have purred to me several times for the last 20 years upon entering a room. Most of the time it has been to get my attention. One particular time, RB Maggie woke me at 4 AM because she was hungry by purring in my face. She wouldn't quit. I got up to check out of frustration and discovered the food bowl was empty. Fill food bowl; get back to sleep.

Perhaps the purr is like "Aloha", a multi-purpose greeting with interpretation dependent upon context.

Anne

Purring links

pet-tips at pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-71.htm)

cats at about.com (http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/why_cats_purr.htm)

wikipedia article -interesting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purr)

kitimom
01-13-2007, 11:28 PM
I looked at the photo and I gotta say that if this is real, I would be surprised she made it this far. With an injury THAT severe, she would had suffered an infection so violent that she wouldn't have recovered. Open wound, add dirt, ,,,you know what I mean.
Will keep a close eye on this to see if it was an actual case.

CultureJunky
01-14-2007, 05:47 AM
I have to admit the more and more I look at it the more and more I find it unbelievable. Unbelievable in that ANY rescue group with a cat with such a severe injury would take it to the vets STRAIGHT AWAY with no ifs or buts.
Regardless of the cost. Also any vet with half a brain and heart would operate straight away regardless of cost due the fact that their job is to save animals lives and reduce suffering. NO vet would pass her by because of a lack of funds.
And IF they are keeping her until they have the money then they're NOT doing thier job properly and Daisy should be reliquished from their care immediately.
It could be an old photo to play on people's heart strings I guess to bring in more funds.

I just find it inconcievable.