PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Vibes Needed! (updated)

Uabassoon
01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
A week from today I'm interviewing for a promotion. I'm really nervous and excited about it. I feel like I am ready but I'm worried that I won't interview well. Today I'm meeting with an old manager of mine to help me prepare and then next week I'm meeting with my current manager to help me. Two people will be conducting my interview, my current District Manager and a DM from another district.

I know that I don't interview well and I think it's mostly going to be "tell me about a time when..." questions which I am horrible at answering. I'm trying to think of situations where positive and negative things happened so that I can be prepared when I go in.

I could really use this promotion, extra money would be nice right now. I'm also starting to get frustrated in my current postion and am ready to move on.

I'll be sure to update you all after the interview!

ramanth
01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
How exciting!! Good luck and lots of good vibes coming from Michigan. :D

Pembroke_Corgi
01-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Good luck! I'll be sending good vibes. :)

slick
01-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Good luck Laura. I just know you can pull this off. Be yourself and answer the questions honestly.

All fingers and paws crossed.
slick xoxo

caseysmom
01-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Good luck! Try to stay calm...I know its easier said than done.

lizbud
01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Good luck & positive vibes coming your way. :) It's good that you are
talking with people now to help prepare for the interview.

Cincy'sMom
01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Good luck Laura!

Chica
01-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Getting prepared will make you feel confident!!!GOOD LUCK, AND LOTS OF GOOD VIBES FROM CHICA!!!!YOU WILL DO FINE!!!!! :) :)

Edwina's Secretary
01-12-2007, 06:43 PM
How lucky you are to have managers who are willing to help you prepare and practice! They must think very highly of you and be very supportive of your promotion to do that.

Make a list of the skills you think they will ask you about. Then concentrate on what you will say in answer to those "tell me about a time you had an irrate customer" type questions....

Fingers crossed for you!

zippy-kat
01-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Best of luck to you, Laura!

gini
01-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Laura, best of luck to you, but if anyone can do it - YOU CAN!!

krazyaboutkatz
01-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Good luck Laura!!!:D I'm sure you'll do just fine.:)

shais_mom
01-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Good luck Hun! :)

Barbara
01-13-2007, 04:32 AM
Preparation is the secret- and having these experienced mangers help you is half the game.

Prepare an example story for all of these questions- even if YOU think has been an effort not worth mentioning I am sure it will make a nice story.

Just like your managers we all believe in you :).

Cataholic
01-13-2007, 07:26 AM
First, good luck! Preparation is the key. What helps me is to speak out loud the answers to potential questions. It helps see if you are addressing question answer, and lets you hear the answer, in case something sounds off. Also, while you know the answer in your mind, hearing it/speaking it, helps gel the answer.

Second, in the interview, early on, if there is a time to say it without making it a big deal, 'confess' your poor interview situations. I find once I have verbalized my 'sins', things go much smoother.

Randi
01-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Laura, you can do it!! ;) The night before the interview, get a good sleep and try to relax. Think positive and remember, they asked you for an interview, so there's a good chance they're very interested in you. Also, it's very positive your manager is supportive, he/she must think you're the one for the job! :)

I once found a list of the 100 most asked jobinterview questions on the net. I sat down and typed all the answers out - be honest, as I'm sure you will, and think about how to put it. :) Perhaps go through that list with a friend and you're halfway there. Also make sure to wear clothes you're comfy in. ;)

I think we all hate to go for jobinterviews, but just take a look around you and see who else they've got to choose from, and you'll be fine!! :D

Best of luck! You'll get the job!!

lizbud
01-13-2007, 09:46 AM
One more thing I just thought of is, be sure to smile.Practice speaking
your possible answers to questions & practice smiling in the mirror. Sounds
funky, but it will help it to become an automatic response. :D

Karen
01-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Prayers being sent your way!

zoey
01-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Good luck! *+**++**+*+++*+*+*++****+
*blows good luck dust your way* +*+*+*+*+**+*+*+*

Rachel
01-13-2007, 10:46 AM
There are some very good suggestions posted here. I really can't add any more to it, but to encourage you to feel your competance. After your preparation, take heart in how well you know you can handle the job for which you are applying. Once you accept that you are the person for the job, you will project it to others. What does Oprah say about luck....it's when preparation meets opportunity....and you've got a handle on both aspects. Still, I can't resist in saying, Good Luck!

Uabassoon
01-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice and well wishes everyone!

I'm starting to feel better and more prepared about the situation. I really feel like I deserve this promotion and I know I need to keep that mentality if I want to be promoted.

Now I just have to keep preparing and wait until Friday. The hardest part is going to be waiting to find out if I got it or not!

finn's mom
01-13-2007, 06:51 PM
That is exciting! I wish you the best of luck. I just changed jobs (again) and know how nervous the interview process is. I'm sure you'll do really well, though! Keep us updated!

Uabassoon
01-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Tomorrow is the big day! I'm getting really nervous now! I feel like I'm as prepared as I'll ever be and I'm ready to just get it over with. I found out that there are 9 people interviewing for 3 spots so hopefully I'm able to snag one of them! I'll let you all know how the interview goes.

Ginger's Mom
01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Will be sending out lots of positive vibes for you tomorrow. You will do great.

lizbud
01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
We'll be thinking of you tomorrow.I know you'll do great. :)

Uabassoon
01-19-2007, 04:40 PM
It's finally over! I feel really great about the interview. Even if I end up not going it at least I know that I did the best I could, I can't imagine what I could have done to make the interview better. Now I just have to sit and wait!

Karen
01-19-2007, 05:09 PM
The waiting is always the hardest part. But we're all rooting for you, and proud that you gave it your best! :)

lizbud
01-19-2007, 05:12 PM
I have a real positive feeling about this.Don't know why, but I do & didn't
want to say it till the interview was over. I'm glad it was a good experience for you.

Killearn Kitties
01-19-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm glad you feel so pleased that it went well. It's nice to come out knowing that you gave it your best shot. Sometimes luck, good or bad, plays a part, but if you gave it your best, well, you can't do any more than that.

How long do we have to wait for the result?

Uabassoon
01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Hopefully I should know something by Friday at the latest.

Marigold2
01-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Best of luck to you Laura. I am sure you will do great.

Uabassoon
01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I just recieved a phone call from the district manager. She said that my interview went really well and I did a great job. Out of the 9 people that interviewed it was between me and one other person. She said that she ended up going with the other person because they had experience in an area that I didn't and it's something that is necesarry for the location that had the opening. I'm a little upset especially because I know that I learn quickly.

However there is some good news. They are going to start my background check because they have two positions that will be opening up soon. I am in what is considered the "ready" position so as soon as a spot opens up I will be promoted. She said that at the latest I should be promoted by May. They do want to transfer me to another store in the meantime so that I can get the experience that I was lacking.

While I am upset that I didn't get promoted right now, I have to look at the bright side. I really didn't like the store in which the position was avaliable. However the two spots that are opening up are both at stores that I would love to work at. So it might be worth the extra couple of months to be at a store where I will be happier.

finn's mom
01-25-2007, 01:06 PM
While I am upset that I didn't get promoted right now, I have to look at the bright side. I really didn't like the store in which the position was avaliable. However the two spots that are opening up are both at stores that I would love to work at. So it might be worth the extra couple of months to be at a store where I will be happier.

This is it! This is what it's all about, good for you! I love that you see a bright side. And, not just a "well, it's better than nothing" bright side...this is a PERFECT bright side! It sounds like it's meant to be...May will be here before you know it! Sounds to me like you got the better end of the deal, anyway! Soo...I say congratulations!

Cataholic
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Think of it like this, you have a few more months before true personnel headaches start! :D

It isn't IF, it is WHEN. Hang in there.

Catty1
01-25-2007, 01:22 PM
So in this interview they got to see how ready you are for a promotion - which might turn out of be a dream! AND they will even help you get the experience that you happened to lack in.

Sounds like a pretty good employer to me! Way to go! :)

Uabassoon
01-25-2007, 02:13 PM
I just got off the phone with Alexa and I'm feeling much better now. I'm still a little dissapointed, I just need to remember that in the long run this is going to be much better for me. Plus the hard part is over, I don't have to interview again and all my paperwork will be in order for when the position opens up. Now I just have to wait.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm glad you will be able to get that promotion sometime soon!!! Sounds like you deserve it, and it's nice that management recognizes that, too. :)

Randi
01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Well done, Laura! I think you'll be happier to get the position in the store where you want to be in the long run. :)

Congratulations - the worst part is over! :D

lizbud
01-25-2007, 04:48 PM
I think that's great that they would take the time to let you know
that you will be going to the fast track for promotion. :) You must have
made a great impression. Glad it will be at the store you've really wanted. :)

Ginger's Mom
01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, it is okay to be a little disappointed to hear that you aren't getting the promotion immediately. But a little chocolate and ice cream will help to make that go away. And then you can enjoy your next few months before the real headaches start. Just kidding I am sure you are going to fit smoothly into the management position, and I have a feeling this is actually going to work out much better for you.

Killearn Kitties
01-26-2007, 07:46 AM
Really, this sounds absolutely ideal! You have impressed them enough that you don't have to interview again, the promotion will be to a store you like, and it is only a few months away! I know that when you go after something, it is nice to get it, and get it now - but it really isn't very far away. :D

Well done!