PDA

View Full Version : Unbelieveable And Tragic

lizbud
01-12-2007, 10:32 AM
This makes me sick to my stomach. How could they do this and think
it was o k? :mad: :mad: :( :(

Dog Given Aneurysm, Killed After Sales Pitch
Cleveland Clinic Reports Surgeon To Ag Dept.

POSTED: 10:52 am EST January 12, 2007

CLEVELAND -- A neurosurgeon at the renowned Cleveland Clinic used a dog with an induced brain aneurysm to demonstrate a medical device to salespeople, the Clinic said Thursday.

The surgeon, who was not immediately identified, was presenting the device Wednesday to a group of people who sell it, and the dog was anesthetized during the demonstration and euthanized afterward, the Clinic said.

The hospital, which confirmed the incident to The Associated Press, said it was unauthorized.

"As an academic medical center, Cleveland Clinic does not allow procedures with animals for the sole purpose of sales training. The situation that occurred yesterday was unauthorized and not in compliance with our policy," the Clinic said in a statement.

The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer first reported the story on its Web site.

An aneurysm is when arteries or blood vessels bulge and eventually burst, which can cause severe damage or death.

The Clinic said the surgeon did not have permission from the hospital's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee to host the demonstration. The doctor submitted an application to the committee, but its members never reviewed it, the hospital said, and, if they had, they would have rejected the request because of the Clinics' policy.

The incident has been reported to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which regulates animal testing, the Clinic said.

After-hours messages left with the USDA were not immediately returned.

The statement said the hospital is a national leader in researching brain aneurysms, which affect about 100,000 Americans each year, killing between 30,000 and 40,000 of them.

An internal investigation was being conducted and the Clinic plans to provide future training for doctors to prevent a similar incident in the future, the hospital's statement said.

"The Cleveland Clinic is committed to integrity in research and to the treatment of animals for research and medical education. It is our policy to carefully evaluate non-animal alternatives and the minimal use of animals," it said.

The Clinic boasts 1,500 physicians, the No. 1 heart center in U.S. News & World Report's rankings and Top 10 national rankings by the magazine in 10 other specialties. World leaders, royalty and sports stars are often among its high-profile patients.

elizabethann
01-12-2007, 11:53 AM
This is so sad. That poor dog. That surgeon should have his liscense revoked.

lvpets2002
01-12-2007, 12:04 PM
:( That is so sad & sickening.. :mad: I had better NOT Ever wittness Nothing Like This.. I think they should use the Doctor for the demo :mad: ..
This is so sad. That poor dog. That surgeon should have his liscense revoked.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-12-2007, 12:12 PM
How horrible. If that doctor had gone through proper committee I can't imagine that he would have been allowed to do something like that- put an animal through suffering, then kill it to make a SALES PITCH? :mad:

Sevaede
01-12-2007, 12:34 PM
They should be giving HIM an aneurysm. :(

lizbud
01-12-2007, 03:50 PM
How horrible. If that doctor had gone through proper committee I can't imagine that he would have been allowed to do something like that- put an animal through suffering, then kill it to make a SALES PITCH? :mad:

That was my thought as well. :( Noticed they never even mentioned
what medical device they were selling. :mad:

mugsy
01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
By the tone of the article, it sounds like that doctor will be looking for alternative employment. What an idiot.

cyber-sibes
01-12-2007, 08:45 PM
"Unbelievable and tragic" is right! I hope they follow through with some kind of punative action. I hope this doctor doesn't conduct medicine the way he conducts business! Cleveland Clinic is a marvelous organization, I have had several experiences with them, and was always treated with respect and dignity. They were a real cut above some of the other doctors I had to take one of my sons to.

Catlady711
01-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Just read about that myself on a different webpage.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Dog_Death_Demonstration.html

It had a little more information.

"The Animal Welfare Act sets minimum standards of care for dogs and other warm-blooded animals but does not prohibit their use in medical device demonstrations, the USDA said.

An aneurysm is an abnormal bulge in a blood vessel, which can burst and cause severe damage or death. The medical device that was demonstrated fills a brain aneurysm with a coil to stop bleeding.

In a letter to the USDA, the clinic said the hospital's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee had approved the aneurysm being induced in the dog but not the use of the device on the animal.

The clinic allows testing on dogs for medical education and research and used 340 canines for research in 2005, according to USDA documents."

lizbud
01-13-2007, 10:02 AM
In a letter to the USDA, the clinic said the hospital's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee had approved the aneurysm being induced in the dog but not the use of the device on the animal.

What's the point of inducing the injury & prohibiting the device? I don't
understand any of this BS.

The clinic allows testing on dogs for medical education and research and used 340 canines for research in 2005, according to USDA documents."[/I]

:( :( :(

pitc9
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
:mad: :( :mad: :(

buttercup132
01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
:mad: :( :mad: :(DITTO:(

BC_MoM
01-16-2007, 04:13 PM
:o :( Whatta world. :( :o

RICHARD
01-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Having dealt with salespeople from a bunch of med device companies I can tell you that they are the ones behind it.

They are scum sucking bessturds who will do anything to get a product/device into a med center/operating arena.

They are the ones that probably talked the idiot into using the dog.

Most of the sales reps have no souls and would sell their mothers to get a contract with a large hospital

Catlady711
01-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Having dealt with salespeople from a bunch of med device companies I can tell you that they are the ones behind it.

They are scum sucking bessturds who will do anything to get a product/device into a med center/operating arena.

They are the ones that probably talked the idiot into using the dog.

Most of the sales reps have no souls and would sell their mothers to get a contract with a large hospital

What you missed in the article is that while the use of the device was unathorized, the hospital had already given the go ahead on giving the dog the aneurysm in the first place. Kinda makes you wonder though why approve one but not the other since either way it was gonna be a dead dog.

RICHARD
01-18-2007, 11:30 PM
, the hospital had already given the go ahead on giving the dog the aneurysm in the first place. Kinda makes you wonder though why approve one but not the other since either way it was gonna be a dead dog.

Sorry,

I guess it makes more sense than using it on Uncle Jack in room 204! :confused:

I didn't read the article, I like my blood pressure low.

Sales reps are the ones that are in the room telling a surgeon how to use the device.

You would not believe the stories I have heard and read about.

cassiesmom
01-21-2007, 05:30 PM
This makes me really, really mad. Coiling is a medically proven procedure for treating aneurysms. The whole purpose of the demonstration was to sell this particular medical device. In this day and age I would think they could come up with some sort of computerized or 3-dimensional model that would have provided a similar set-up for the demonstration.