PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro - laminitis

cassiesmom
01-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Pull through for us, Barbaro, please!
--------------------
Derby winner Barbaro suffers significant setback in recovery

Dan Gelston, The Canadian Press, Thursday, January 11, 2007

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. — Every time the outlook was grim for Barbaro, the Kentucky Derby winner pulled through like a champion.

After months of upbeat progress reports, news came of a significant setback Wednesday because of the laminitis — a painful, often fatal disease — afflicting his left hind hoof.

Chief surgeon Dean Richardson removed damaged tissue from Barbaro’s left hind hoof, the first bad news weeks after owners Gretchen and Roy Jackson and New Bolton’s chief surgeon Dean Richardson talked about releasing the colt from the hospital by the end of the month.

“Things were marching along pretty smoothly until this,” Gretchen Jackson said. “We’ve been there before with him.

“He’s a horse that wants to live.”

Richardson was “pulling out all the stops” to save Barbaro, placing him back in a protective sling in his ICU stall at the University of Pennsylvania’s New Bolton Center. The bay colt has been here since shattering three bones in his right hind leg just a few strides into the Preakness on May 20.

“They’re taking extreme measures,” Jackson said. “They’re treating it very aggressively.

“They’re really pulling out all the stops to help him.”

Barbaro was in stable condition, according to a statement released Wednesday morning by the Center. The tissue was removed Tuesday night.

Dr. Scott Morrison, who applied the cast Jan. 3, called the latest development “a bump in the road” and said Barbaro “can possibly overcome it.

“When a horse tries to grow back an entire hoof capsule like Barbaro is, complications are expected along the way,” said Morrison, the head of podiatry service at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky.

“While the foot is growing back, there is some wall structure and tissue that becomes compromised along the way and has to be removed.”

Though Morrison wasn’t present at New Bolton when Richardson removed the loose tissue, he believes Barbaro’s condition has not regressed or gone “back to square one.”

“But I wouldn’t say the prognosis is good for the foot,” he cautioned. “It’s still grim.

“He still has to grow a hoof wall for his prognosis to improve. There’s still a long road ahead.”

Gretchen Jackson brought Barbaro fresh grass and said the colt’s appearance was “not as bright” when she saw him Wednesday morning. But, she added, the colt had visibly improved later in the day when her husband, Roy, visited.

The latest blow comes one week after a new cast was placed on Barbaro’s laminitis-stricken left hind foot to help re-align a bone.

The cast change could have caused some inflammation, said Dr. Kathleen Anderson, Barbaro’s attending vet when the horse was racing and stabled in trainer Michael Matz’s barn at the Fair Hill Training Center in Elkton, Md.

Anderson said Barbaro has proved he was strong enough to overcome his latest medical obstacle.
“We all know most horses don’t get this far,” she said. “The bottom line with Barbaro is the fractured leg is the one that would have been the end of most horses.

“He won’t be getting to the big green field any time soon, but I don’t think this is insurmountable.”
Barbaro had become uncomfortable on his left hind foot and a cast was removed after some new separation on the inside portion of his hoof was found.

After his injury in the Preakness, Barbaro developed severe laminitis, a potentially fatal disease caused by uneven weight distribution in the limbs — in mid-July. The result was that 80 per cent of his left hind hoof was removed.

“I was there (Tuesday) and it was obvious he was not comfortable in that foot,” Jackson said. “The easiest and best way to work on Barbaro is when he’s laying down.

“They had to wait until he was laying down and when they removed the cast, they discovered some reason for him feeling pain.”

Just over a week ago, Richardson said Barbaro’s right hind was getting stronger and should eventually be healthy enough to allow the colt to live a comfortable, happy life.

But he also warned: “Barbaro’s left hind foot, which had laminitis, remains a more formidable long-term challenge. The foot must grow much more for him to have a truly successful outcome.”

Still, the Jacksons and Richardson remained optimistic Barbaro could be on a Kentucky farm by the end of January.

“It’s sad that’s he’s had a setback because he was marching along toward living outside the hospital,” Jackson said. “The only thing we care about is that he’s not in pain.”

The disease, called laminitis or founder, involves inflammation and structural damage to tissue that bonds the horse’s bone to the inner wall of the hoof. Richardson said in July that Barbaro’s laminitis was “basically as bad a laminitis as you can have. It’s as bad as it gets.”

© The Canadian Press 2007

Vela
01-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Just caught this on the NBC site:

News Releases

Barbaro is stable and acceptably comfortable

January 11, 2007

KENNETT SQUARE, PA —Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro’s management has been changed to include sling support for several hours during the day, according to Dr. Dean W. Richardson, Chief of Surgery. “He is getting up and down on his own and continues to eat and have stable vital signs. Radiographs (X-rays) taken yesterday revealed no additional complications in either hind leg. We are considering several additional therapeutic options at this time. He is stable and acceptably comfortable.”

Barbaro remains in the Intensive Care Unit at Penn’s George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals.

Updates will be provided when new information is available.

For more information on Barbaro, please see www.vet.upenn.edu.

This was from this morning, he is doing much better. This was a setback but after all he has been through, he's not going to give up that easy. Bump in the road is all. I have faith that he will make it.

lvpets2002
01-11-2007, 11:00 AM
:o Yes I have been keeping up with him also.. I do hope for full recovery..

cassiesmom
01-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I didn't realize that the laminitis was in his left hind leg, but the one that was broken was the right hind leg.

ramanth
01-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I didn't realize that the laminitis was in his left hind leg, but the one that was broken was the right hind leg.
I think the way laminitis works is that it is an infection that attacks the healthy legs if the weight of the horse cannot be evenly distributed.

You can do it Barbaro. I want to see you walking happily in a field of your favorite clover soon. Get better soon!

Vela
01-11-2007, 01:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminitis

Some good information there on the causes and hows and whys. Just if anyone is interested.

Kimmy is right it can be caused by uneven weight ditribution, among other things. When Barbaro got an infection in the right hind from the plates, he was in pain and put too much weight on the left hind, causing the mechanical failure and laminitis. The biggest threat now is for him to get laminitis in another hoof, that would probably be the end, so they are trying to get him pain free again and using the sling to keep him from leaning too heavily on any of the other feet. Thankfully he's doing better now.

http://www.naturalhorsetrim.com/Section_10.htm

The above link is more in depth and has pictures (NOT PRETTY) at the bottom.