PDA

View Full Version : Martingale collars...

BC_MoM
01-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Molly has a flat buckle collar for obedience and flyball. I was informed that Molly needs a martingale collar for flyball - but I don't understand WHY. Those things are huge.

cali
01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
who on earth told you you need a martinagle for flyball? thats not true in the slightest, you can use any kind of collar or harness works best for your dog.

BC_MoM
01-11-2007, 09:37 AM
The same lady who deemed Molly aggressive and told the whole flyball team.

borzoimom
01-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Well then- that says it all- the lady is an idiot.. lol.. I need to find out if the obedience competition rules still state that the dog has to be on some type of choke verses buckle collar like it did a few years back.
As far as being huge- and keep in mind- this is for a huge dog, they can actually be very thin. I am attaching the link but here is a picture of my collars. http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5229&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025650&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1168530606783&itemNo=1&Ntt=martingale+collars&In=Dog&previousText=martingale+collars&N=2023689

CathyBogart
01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Since when are martingales huge, they come in a wide variety of sizes. I've been hunting for a nice one for Jasper for a few months. He's got one of those sighthound heads that can slip out of anything. ;)

borzoimom
01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
At dog shows, they sell the ones with a chain back that is thin- but I like the ones I posted.
Borzois have a narrow head and a collar will slip even one that is secure..

HEY- DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU HAVE TO COMPETE IN A TYPE OF CHOKE IN OBEDIENCE NOW??? They published in the judges akc bulletine it was by area- so how do you know???

applesmom
01-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Molly has a flat buckle collar for obedience and flyball. I was informed that Molly needs a martingale collar for flyball - but I don't understand WHY. Those things are huge.

Is the person who told you this the trainer or a representative of the trainer?
If the trainer or her representative told you that you need a specific type of collar, she should have explained why you need it!

applesmom
01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
At dog shows, they sell the ones with a chain back that is thin- but I like the ones I posted.
Borzois have a narrow head and a collar will slip even one that is secure..

HEY- DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU HAVE TO COMPETE IN A TYPE OF CHOKE IN OBEDIENCE NOW??? They published in the judges akc bulletine it was by area- so how do you know???

Any normal type of collar can be used in obedience as long as nothing is hanging from it.

No pinch or electronic collars though! ;)

GreyhoundGirl
01-11-2007, 03:11 PM
The huge ones are for greys with long necks, it's so that there is less presure per CM square of neck. Jenny has one like that... If she thinks it'll help with aggresion you should tell her martingales go around the neck, not the muzzle. :rolleyes: I doubt it'll stop aggresion the least bit.

*measures Jenny's* Hers is 2" vertically

Twisterdog
01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
We were required to have a Martingale collar for Lucky when my son was in 4H Obedience with her.

They are not all huge. Lucky is a 17 pound smooth fox terrier. We got a "show" martingale collar ... it was very slim and dainty.

BC_MoM
01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info.. I went to Aardvark Pets the other day and asked for Martingale collars and they just showed me huge ones.. I saw no small ones like you guys have posted.

I'll have to check other stores then. Thanks!

cali
01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
you can try a flyball collar if you just want one with a handle, they are like normal buckle collars but they have an extra loop stocking out for holding onto the dog. most people just us a harness though.

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't think a martingale would be great for flyball - it's a collar designed so that dogs can't back out of their collar, therefore, it tightens which would probably make an excited flyball dog uncomfortable. I wouldn't get one for her if I were you, especially since that person didn't give you a reason as to why. The flyball collars with handles are good though if you don't want to use her regular collar. I'd use a harness though if it were my dog. :)