PDA

View Full Version : Nicely put betta article

IRescue452
01-10-2007, 08:02 PM
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article38.html

Also very nice stocking guidelines for all fish species http://malawicichlids.com/mw01019.htm

BC_MoM
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
That's a very good article.

I do have to argue the filtration point, though. I have, before, not changed my Betta's water for 2 weeks and he has been fine.

IRescue452
01-10-2007, 08:30 PM
If the tank is cycled then the water will be biologically filtered without you adding anything mechanical. Besides, nitrite and ammonia poisoning sometimes takes weeks to show. Its like small toxic levels of mold in a house, or chemicals at a factory where people work. Your breathing in small levels fine for weeks, months, or years, and then bam, you find out you have some sort of cancer or some deadly effect.
I do wish they would have mentioned the pet store cups. The cups, in my opinion, are the best way to transport individual bettas from breeder to buyer. The fish are in individual cups so they can't spread disease or hurt each other. The cups aren't easily smashed or punctured during the transport process, as are bags for fish. Also, the cups allow for individual care (though some stores choose not to administer to the fish). Bettas have such a quick turnout rate that they do not spend that much time in the cups. They are meant as a simply a seperation and transportation device fit for the species.

Suki Wingy
01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
I only read the betta article. I think it's very good and more people should read it, the only thing is filtration. Two of my bettas died of exhaustion due to the filter being way too strong. Our third boy was better, we kept him in the same 10 gallon but with gravel and hides and plants and a heater and a lamp on durring the day. We only put the filter on for 10 minutes a day. Are there filters specifically made for less strong swimmers I can buy? Actually Illusion was thriving, sharing the space with a dwarf pleco til my dad actually put two feeder goldfish in the tank WITHOUT QUARINTENE that were "too pretty to feed to my snakes" and since my tank was "not built up or important enough" he thought he could come to a happy median with a cool water fish and a tropical fish. :mad: :(

SORRY, THAT WAS JUST A RANT

BC_MoM
01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
My take has no filtration, and no special things in the water. I don't test my water with kits.. my Betta's are absolutely fine! hehe

Christmas_Hamster
01-11-2007, 08:47 PM
A very well written article!!!! Thanks for showing!

The CT that is near the bottom of the page is stunning!

Anyways. There are ways to slow the filter ;) Here is a link: http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-It-Yourself/currentkill.php

I think if you have a big enough tank then filtration is needed as you need to cycle the tank or else you would be putting your betta through a cycle every time you clean the tank. I think 5 gallons can go without a filter but I think it would be so much easier to use a filter with a tank 5 gallons and up ;) Much less work for you. My bettas do fine in the divided ten gallon with the filter. I use the DIY current adjuster and my bettas do much better with the current. I also have more plants and a clay pot for the ebtta who is nearest the filter to be able to get away from what ever current might be bothering him ;)

IRescue452
01-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a new betta in one of my heated goldfish tanks with a medium-strong conflicting current (water goes towards the center from the outside to create bubbles into the middle to break the surface). The current grows weak halfway to the tank bottom, its just for surface agitation. The betta does fine. He learned the weaker spots in the tank where he can hang out. I also have caves in the tank where he can avoid the current and they are big enough for him to swim around in. I've been integrating him slowly throughout the week and just yesterday he proved he could compete with the goldfish for food fine. I always make sure they are quick enough to get their share.