PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts for Rutherford, please.

jenluckenbach
01-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Rutherford went to the vet today. He has not been eating. He nibbles or licks a very VERY small amount, but has not eaten a bowl of food for, I bet, 3 days. :(

He does not ACT sick! And even though I do have several cats sneezing and coughing and 1 with a watery eye (kitty cold going around), Rutherford seems perfectly fine.

As a matter of fact, if I didn't actually seperate the cats for their dinner, I would never have known about this. He isn't lethargic or painful.

Well, any way....... I am to give some subQ fluids and wait for test results. (tomorrow)

In the meantime, I hope I can tempt him with SOMETHING to eat.

Killearn Kitties
01-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Come on, Rutherford, eat for your mummy!
Sending all my hungry vibes Rutherford's way.

kittycats_delight
01-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Rutherford sweetheart make meowmie feel better and relax by eating a little something for her please.

Jen, toes, fingers, paws and whiskers crossed for good results tomorrow and that Rutherford starts eating again very very soon.

((((HUGS))))
Michelle

doolittleky
01-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I hope rutherford starts to eat. I know form experience that this is the most helpless feeling in the world when you watch one of your babies not eating and wanting them to eat so bad.
Melissa

jennielynn1970
01-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Oh no! Poor Rutherford! :eek: I hope he's going to be ok. Which one is he in your collage, or do you have a larger pic of him??

I can bring you some of the Fancy Feast uppity new canned foods (the mousses and all that stuff). Let me know if you need anything or just need a shoulder! I'm here... only a few blocks away. ;)

Prairie Purrs
01-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Rutherford, sweetie, please eat! Your fan club is worried about you!

catmandu
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Oh No!
Not sweet gentle Rutherford.
We are praying for that Dear Gentleman Cat , that Rutherford will start eating soon.Have you tried Kitty Food Royal Canin , its usually on a promotion price.
That works when the Found Cats have no appetite.
We are praying hard for Our Friend Rutherford.

jenluckenbach
01-10-2007, 05:09 PM
THIS.....is Rutherford

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherfod12-4-04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherford9-11-04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherford5-26-06.jpg

K & L
01-10-2007, 05:34 PM
I sure hope this isn't anything serious. With the kitty colds going around maybe his nose is stuffed and he isn't smelling the food enough to tempt him. I will watch for updates.

jennielynn1970
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
THIS.....is Rutherford

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherfod12-4-04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherford9-11-04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Rutherford/Rutherford5-26-06.jpg

:eek: Jorgie's twin?! OMG! Poor baby! Rutherford, sweetie, you have to eat and get better! You're just a little guy! C'mon, eat for your mommy, your aunt jennie & cousin jorgie! :(

jennielynn1970
01-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Have you tried that brand called Figaro?? It's at Redners, and looks like real tuna, and is SMELLY! He might like that?? It's 3 cans for $1.05.

jenluckenbach
01-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Have you tried that brand called Figaro?? It's at Redners, and looks like real tuna, and is SMELLY! He might like that?? It's 3 cans for $1.05.
NO, but I did try REAl tuna! no go.

I gave him his fluids about half an hour ago and now he is in his room (HOPEFULLY) eating. I'll go back in soon to see if he ate or not.

rg_girlca
01-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Jen, prayers and positive thoughts on the way that precious Rutherford starts to eat and that his test results show nothing serious.

jenluckenbach
01-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Well, he barely nibbled his dinner. :( SIGH.

What could be preventing him from eating that doesn't show ANY other symptoms? :confused:

phesina
01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Prayers and good wishes are being sent for Rutherford. What a beautiful boy!

Hugs and purrs,
Pat, Peony, Priscilla, Poppy, Elmer, and Sydney

Craftlady
01-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Nutri Stat, appetite enchancer works good for getting them to eat.
No clue for why this happening, sorry.

barncat
01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Did you check his teeth? Sometimes a tooth goes bad very quickly and makes eating hurt....

I hope he starts eating soon. I know you care for your cats very carefully and lovingly....hope there is a happy update soon.

jennielynn1970
01-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, he barely nibbled his dinner. :( SIGH.

What could be preventing him from eating that doesn't show ANY other symptoms? :confused:

Is there a sore tooth they missed in an exam?? Or a small mouth ulcer they didn't see??

Lizzie
01-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Is it possible that he has a sore throat? It was that that stopped Nougat from eating and she showed no other symptoms of a cold.

I've seen cats eat fairly well even when they've had bloody mouths (a few FIV cats before their dental surgeries) or bad teeth, and I remember my vet telling me that most cats will eat in spite of having terrible mouths.

Rutherford is a gorgeous hunk and it's distressing to think of him just not wanting to eat. I hope the tests show something, but nothing really bad, simply so that you can focus on a treatment.

krazyaboutkatz
01-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear that Rutherford isn't eating.:( I sure hope that he'll eat something soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Catty1
01-10-2007, 09:51 PM
That's all I can think of too...something small stuck in his teeth or something that makes eating uncomfortable...

I know you would ask your vet....any news?

C'mon, baby, eat your food!

jazzcat
01-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Poor handsome Rutherford. I sure hope you find something to tickle his appetite fancy. I wonder what could be up with him?

Feel better soon gorgeous boy.

kimlovescats
01-11-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Rutherford is not feeling well. My first thoughts were maybe his gums are sore? I hope you find out something conclusive soon!

Hugs,
Kim

jennielynn1970
01-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Any luck with getting him to eat today???

catnapper
01-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh Jen...... what can I say? After all he's been through...... Rutherford sweetie, EAT EAT EAT!

(did that help? Did he listen to me?)

momcat
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi there Rutherford! What's up, fellow kitty? Why are you not eating? You have a wonderful Meowmie who loves you and is so worried about you. It's tough to let our hoomins know when we don't feel good and what bothers us even though they try so hard to understand. Please eat something Rutherford, I'm sure your Meowmie will be happy to give you whatever you may be hungry for. Are your kitty sibs grabbing your food before you can eat it? I'm here for you if there's anything I can do to help.
Purrrrrr, mew, meow meow purr mew mew purr mrrow but don't tell anyone, okay?

Your friend,
Groucho

catlover4ever
01-11-2007, 01:36 PM
All I can think of is a bad tooth as well.

I'm hoping and praying everything is OK with Rutherford

jenluckenbach
01-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Urinalysis (which was done at my request because if his history with blocking)

NO crystals! :D :D Which means his new food is doing what it is suppose to be doing.

Blood test

--1 kidney enzyme slightly elevated, but not the MAIN kidney enzyme.

--1 liver enzyme slightly elevated, but not the MAIN liver enzyme. We will want to watch this enzyme level, however.

--White count.....WAY up! So it might just be a simple infection.

We will start antibiotics and also try an appetite stimulant until he can get his appetite back. (he still has only eaten a teeny bit).

So, all in all, a very good report.

Prairie Purrs
01-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Good to hear that Rutherford doesn't appear to have anything serious. I hope the antibiotics clear things up and he's eating like a champ in no time!

K & L
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Good news, although he is not feeling well. The appetite stimulates really work for our cats! Good luck and please keep us updated.

jennielynn1970
01-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Hope the antibiotics kick whatever it is out of his system! Poor guy!! What can be done about the enzyme thingies???

phesina
01-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh, that's wonderful, if it turns out to be something that can be easily treated and clears up shortly! Prayers continuing that this is so..

Poppy, Peony, Elmer, Sydney, Priscilla, and Pat

jenluckenbach
01-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, hurray Rutherford. He ate the majority of his dinner (and this was BEFORE his first antibiotic pill). I had given him some Nutri-cal (thanks Becky for reminding me) last night and earlier today and that may have helped get a bit of appetite. :)

Lizzie
01-11-2007, 07:39 PM
That's good news about Rutherford, that he is eating again and has something treatable. Just as I read about one of his liver enzymes being elevated and white count up, I remembered that Ginger went through this about 4 years ago and she bounced back really well even after only a few days on antibiotics. It sounds like Rutherford only had to hear the word "antibiotic" to start getting better!

jenluckenbach
01-11-2007, 07:41 PM
It sounds like Rutherford only had to hear the word "antibiotic" to start getting better!

LOL LOL.....this made me giggle! :)

Actually, Lucas was always my faker. The cat who would get better only after I paid the vet money. :rolleyes: Silly boy! (and worth every penny)

catmandu
01-11-2007, 07:41 PM
HOORRRAAAAAYYYY!
Thats great News that Rutherford has his appetite back,
and I think Y.Lee and Lucas Angels will bring thier friend Rutherford some treats from Paradise Island to whet his appetite.
Thats Great News that Rutherfords eating and the Found Hotel Paradise Cats are cheering.

krazyaboutkatz
01-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm so glad to hear that he has his appetite back and I hope that the meds will clear him up and that he'll feel better soon.:)

jenluckenbach
01-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Rutherford is feeling better. He is eating almost his whole dinner now. I guess it was just an infection. Halleluia! :)

catmandu
01-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Hooray For Our Pal Rutherford.
We Think He Should Get Whiskas Temptations As A Reward.

phesina
01-13-2007, 01:10 PM
That's wonderful, Jen! So glad to hear it.

Pat

Kirsten
01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Phew, I'm relieved to read that Rutherford is eating again!! Hope he'll keep improving!!

BTW, he's such a beautiful boy! :)

Kirsten

Craftlady
01-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Well, hurray Rutherford. He ate the majority of his dinner (and this was BEFORE his first antibiotic pill). I had given him some Nutri-cal (thanks Becky for reminding me) last night and earlier today and that may have helped get a bit of appetite. :)

Your welcome :)

Medusa
01-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Good to hear that Rutherford isn't too too seriously ill. Hopefully, the appetite stimulant will get him to eat. They sure can keep us hoppin', can't they?

Blessings,
Mary

Catty1
01-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Sounds like Rutherford is well on the mend! YAAY! :)

rg_girlca
01-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh Jen, I am so glad to hear that gorgeous Rutherford is doing better.

Wait a go big fella. Keep it up. :)