PDA

View Full Version : Sturdy Toys? Okay so i got the kong everyone!!(update)

coco-bean
01-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Im sure this question has been gone over numerous times with first time puppy getter's, BUT...the 2 of my 3 LOVE LOVE LOVE to chew but play and play tug of war with whatever it is! cainan is more of a fetch kinda fella so no worried for him! I just cant find any toys that are sturdy enough for coco's teeth and soft enough for corona's little baby teeth! I have found that corona does like my boyfriends nieces toys...such as HARD plastic keys, they feel good on her teeth i think! but everything we get her, coco gets ahold of and chews to little bits...then later throws the little bits up! is there anything that can make both of them happy? thanks!

DrKym
01-09-2007, 05:16 PM
one word LOL *KONG* they come in all sizes and are amazing! Wouldn't have a Dog or pup without a few around on hand! Pricey here but they lasr FOREVER! :D

coco-bean
01-09-2007, 05:19 PM
now i need something that is gonna last...are you sure these kongs are made for my chewer? haha i've been meaning to buy one but they are pretty pricey like you said!
thanks

critter crazy
01-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Kongs are industructable!!! Definitely a must have for any dog!!

DrKym
01-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Honest to heavens I have one here from my last Rottie.........she passed in 03! It is still going strong with 2 dobies and a cocker using it! I swear by em! In the long run the price is worth it as you never replace them! I throw mine in the dishwasher every few days. I have the original ones (hollow to be filled with pastes or PB or crackers etc.) and a few of the newer toy type. I will scour around the net as sometimes you can find coupons for em. If I find any I will PM you with it. :)

coco-bean
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
awesome, thanks!! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Kongs are industructable!!!

The red ones are not indestructible, not sure about the black ones, but I've never had a dog break a black kong. Tango's broken a few red kongs, all appropriately sized for her and one meant for large dogs. All were pretty much brand new too. Our one black kong lasted about 15 years before having to be thrown away with numerous dogs chewing on it, the oldest red one in our house lasted about 7 months. Not sure if that's common or not, but I know other people who have also had dogs break the red ones. Just thought I'd add that since a lot of people think dogs can't break kongs. :)

As far as tough toys go, the only toy that has stood up to all of my dogs is an Orbee ball. I've had it for a while and it still almost looks brand new. Winston has chomped on it lots and it's still all in one piece and just as sturdy as it was when I first bought it. I love Orbee toys.

GreyhoundGirl
01-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Jenny uses her Kong minimum once a day, never missed a day all these years... Her's looks good as new still. Yea, if they're strong chewers I'd reccomnd a black one. (but lol they're probably even worse for price :rolleyes: )

critter crazy
01-09-2007, 05:46 PM
There are a ton on E-bay right now!! Prices arent bad either!! just look under pet supplies and typpe in Kong!! :)

Chilli
01-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I agree, the black kongs are really great for big chewers! Its also great to keep destructive dogs occupied on something, as you can fill it with something(as treats.. we use a wee bit of peanut butter) to keep them interested. =]

3GSDMom
01-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Have you tried Cuz's?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 9633&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026210&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1168389576371&itemNo=0&Ntt=Cuz&In=All&previousText=Cuz&N=2

I've got a German Shepherd and he has destroyed numerous toys and household objects (walls, doors, dressers) because of his chewing habits. I got him two Cuz's and he hasn't destroyed them yet. They are really fun to play fetch with too because they bounce like crazy :p
German Shepherds can be very destructive dogs (Sometimes they are fondly known as German Shredders ;) ) and the Cuz is a very popular toy in the GSD world. Trav chews on his daily and hasn't even managed to puncture it. We've had one of his for a few months now and its still in one piece. As you can see http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118688 it goes through a lot :D

At the store they run for around $10 for the large ones, but it looks like you can get them online for $6.

coco-bean
01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
So i got the biggest blackest kong petco had, and i got the stuffing for it...liver kind! well lets just say all 3 of them arent quite sure what to do with it, they know there's good stuff inside but unsure of what to do with it! Corona has already made the claim that the "good stuff" is hers! haha!! :D

DrKym
01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
LOL congrats! and trust me they WILL figure it out! I wish them and you many hours of happy chewing! (while they are busy chewing mom can do something for mom!) :eek:

coco-bean
01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
LOL congrats! and trust me they WILL figure it out! I wish them and you many hours of happy chewing! (while they are busy chewing mom can do something for mom!) :eek:

YAY, you have no idea how happy that makes me! haha

critter crazy
01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
awsome!! many years of chewing happiness ahead!!:D

mruffruff
01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I have hard chewers, too. I bought a kong, filled it with peanut butter and they loved it. But only when there's something in it.

I make sure they have rope toys. They will chew on them anytime. They clean their teeth as well as keep them busy. Occasionally they need to be replaced when they get thoroughly shredded.

ramanth
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Have you tried Cuz's?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 9633&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026210&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1168389576371&itemNo=0&Ntt=Cuz&In=All&previousText=Cuz&N=2

I bought Kia the red Cuz a couple of years ago and like you said it lasted but then again she's not an aggressive chewer when it comes to toys.

My sister's dog, Seamus, a Beagle/Collie/ACD mix, succeeded in chewing the legs off it the first day we gave it to him. :eek: :rolleyes: That dog destroys everyting.

borzoimom
01-10-2007, 10:38 AM
I have 8-10 year old kongs in the house! And I use other solid rubber toys- its worth the money to spend a few bucks more and get ones that last. The other favorite are nyla bones- the new ones with the pimple ridges on them!!

elizabethann
01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
I've always heard that the black kongs are super tough. :)

coco-bean
01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I've always heard that the black kongs are super tough. :)

it must me tough...it's lasted threw the night! Of course they were too busy fighting over it to even really get a good chew...all though coco is goin to town on it now :)