PDA

View Full Version : Dance & Dream..

sandragonfly
01-09-2007, 03:42 PM
yay - here it is, a picture of me dancing! some of you wanted to see pictures of me dancing but the website has been under construction still..grr. I thought, at least this is something you have been waiting for I can show!

it's an article from RIT Reporter magazine about us, one hard of hearing and deaf (me) involving RIT Dance Company -- I didn't know I was in an article until someone at my school yesterday "yelled" (in sign language) far in front of me, "Congratulations! You looked great!!" I then recalled I had an interview and photographing session last november.

I really had fun dancing, I couldn't get more of it. GREAT experience!! signing (and famous) professor, my first opportunity, plus awesome dancers I worked with became friends nice and easy in all. and I can't wait for next audition in end of this january with some of same people!! it'll be one longest, biggest performance. :D :D

because of publicity, I removed my last name and glowed it purple instead - hope this is good enough for now and enjoy. :)

Craftlady
01-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Very nice article. Which one is you in the photo?

Karen
01-09-2007, 04:26 PM
She's the one in purple! Cool article, Gina! Thanks for sharing!

Craftlady
01-09-2007, 05:25 PM
She's the one in purple! Cool article, Gina! Thanks for sharing!

It's nice to put a face to a name :)

joycenalex
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
gina, i had no idea you were so pretty. how long have you been a dancer?

Pembroke_Corgi
01-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Wow! How cool! :D

Daisy and Delilah
01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
That's wonderful Gina!! Is there anything you can't do girl?? Very cool!! :) :D :)

Argranade
01-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow that's so Awsome! :D

You look realy good! wow I didin't know you danced ... PT always amazes me lol.

Congratz! :D

Cinder & Smoke
01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
;)

GOOD Show, Gina ...

Keep on Dancin!!

:D

kimlovescats
01-10-2007, 12:28 AM
That's wonderful, Gina! I'm so proud of you!!! ;)

K9karen
01-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Gina! You DO look great! Elegant and graceful .. and OH! Ever so attractive in PURPLE!!!!! Congratulations on the lovely article! You deserve it!!

kittycats_delight
01-10-2007, 05:24 AM
Wow Gina! You look absolutely awesome and so beautiful. So elegant and regal. The article was great. Very nice. You keep on dancing it is in your heart and it makes you happy and that makes us happy in turn. I am so proud of you. ((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

Keep it up girl. I would love to see you dance sometime. :)

(((((((((((GINA)))))))))))))))
Michelle

CatLuvrs
01-10-2007, 07:13 AM
What a great article and awesome photo! Congrats!

pitc9
01-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Congrats!!!!

Anita Cholaine
01-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Gina, I didn't know you were a dancer!
You look so beautiful in that picture, so elegant in purple.The article is great too... Congratulations! :D

sandragonfly
01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
thank you everyone!!! exciting.. :D I had the perfect leotard, purple is so me.. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/mystichild/pinkgrin.gif

I noticed I've missed a purple glow, it's before "..is a dancer..," in second paragraph - I fixed it, sorry about that!

craftlady & joycenalex, I'll PM you pictures of me you missed here. :eek: ;) well, or you can go to here (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=117117&page=2&pp=20) and find me there! (post #21)..

umm, I think the only thing I can't do for sure .. slaughter people. :p

I will let you know about my next audition and I know some of you live nearby here, hope you can come and watch us!

Logan
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I am either blind or a computer idiot because I can't read the article. What am I doing wrong?? :confused:

sandragonfly
01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
here it is, logan. :)

Listening with her Heart

By Laura Mandanas | photography by Katharine Sidelnik

"Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot. "Boogie Shoes" by KC and the Sunshine Band. "Hey Mama" by the Black Eyed Peas. Although Gina ---- is a dancer, she has never heard so much as a single note of any of these insanely danceable songs-or any song, for that matter. ---- has been profoundly deaf since she was six months old.

---- is a dancer in the RIT/NTID Dance Company. Several nights a week she and a dozen or so members of the troupe get together to rehearse under the direction of Thomas Warfiled. They are a mix of hearing, non-hearing, and many varying degrees of hearing between the two. ---- happens to be non-hearing. She explains, "If a lion roars right in my ear, I won't know he's right by me...[unless it's] close enough to feel soft vibrations."*

Although dancing in a company has been a lifelong dream of ----'s, it was only recently that was was able to realize it. Though she had previously auditioned to be in dance companies near her home, the studios seemed to look only at her disablility rather than her dancing. After all, how could she be expected to keep in rhythm with dancers that would be taking their cues from something she'd never even heard?

Sarah Clark, a third-year digital imaging and publicity student, encountered similar obstacles before she joined the troupe. The first dance studios she wanted to enroll at wouldn't accept her; she persisted, however, and finally was able to attend classes at a studio called Patty's Place. She was the only deaf student there. Clark recalls the experience, saying, "It was a very big challenge. don't look exactly at you. I could read lips when I looked at the mirros, but mostly I just watched their feet."

"Here," Clark says, "It's not a problem. This studio is one of the best I've been to. Directions are given in both sign language and voice; it makes it easier to pick up exactly what to do." Her favorite part is when the company does ballet. "Ballet is so elegant, so poised, so magical," Clark says, smiling. "It just makes you feel like you're dancing on a cloud, dancing freely."

Ballet isn't all they do here, though. Drawing inspiration from many sources, their choreography incorporates elements of many forms of dance into an appealingly eclectic visual medley. Says Clark, "It's very enriching, very challenging to perform here. There are a lot more movements...it was just basic dance movements when I started out, but now there's gymnastics involved-tumbling, pas de dukes, partner lifts and spins." This spring they will be performing "Handamation," a performance that combines dance and sign language. It's not so far a leap, after all, from sign language to dance. ---- has noticed it; others have, too.

Yes, there are some types of music ---- wishes she could hear. Though she's not quite sure what she would like, she knows that she's attracted to music with strong rhythms and beats. "I guess I don't 'hear,'" says ----, "but my heart and I listen." And although she believes that music and dance are very related, ---- notes that people who dance from the heart can dance without music. "Just like me," she says, "I don't hear at all, but I can go with the flow of the others. I do what the teacher says, and then I do what my heart feels."

[i]*For this reason, Gina ---- was interviewed primarily through e-mail; Sarah Clark was interviewed in person.

and I realize I forgot to answer your question, joyce - this was my first dance experience. I have been a dancer since I was a little girl ... in my heart. :)

BC_MoM
01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Gina, that is just so awesome. You're an amazing person!! Do you think you would ever have performances in Canada?

chocolatepuppy
01-10-2007, 06:51 PM
That's great Gina! I'm so happy for you. :D I never thought about you not being able to hear the music. :o You truly are remarkable and your dancing must truly ,as you say, come from your heart. :)

cyber-sibes
01-10-2007, 08:09 PM
:D :D :D :D :D
You go girl! I was just thinking about you today, wondering how your dancing was going! You look so lovely! That's a very nice article. I'm proud to know you!

Logan
01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Thank you, Gina. I still don't understand how everyone else could read it and I couldn't. :o

Cataholic
01-11-2007, 11:29 AM
WOW. Gina, you look so amazing! What a wonderful article.

sandragonfly
01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
thank you all so very much. :)

bc_mom, not sure..I don't think so. :/ but I will let you know if any! okay?

in next dance troupe, we're hoping for a roadtrip to utah performance! :cool: it's just a thought for now.. I hope hope hope so! :D