PDA

View Full Version : Is it still ok to eat?

catnapper
01-08-2007, 05:28 PM
My tummy has been very grumbly since last night, and I'm about to eat something more than plain saltines for the first time in 24 hours..... only problem is the can was dated Feb 2006 (you can tell how often we eat canned soup around here ;)). Hubby swears its still edible.

Should I attempt it? Chances are, it'll come back up anyway :rolleyes:

borzoimom
01-08-2007, 05:29 PM
honey- I would not risk it. You are already ill and not well- with a compromised immune system. How about some noodles.. or cheerios, or crackers- ... ?

caseysmom
01-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I am really wierd about expiration dates...I can't even stand to eat something that is right at the expiration date let alone past it...soup has a long expiration date so chances are that soup is 3 years old...I wouldn't risk it.

Daisy and Delilah
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm with the other ladies, Kim. You're already ill so why risk it? Get some fresh stuff and try that. I hope you feel better.

catnapper
01-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Well, he nuked it for me and I took one sip.... and promptly rinsed my mouth out. It tasted like gasoline! YUCK!

I usually get chicken noodle soup from the chinese restaurant across the street. Its cheaper and fresh with much more chicken. Nobody wants to make the dash across rush hour traffic for me. I guess I'll wait a little bit and run for the soup myself.

borzoimom
01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
ohhh honey- if I could I would bring you some...

caseysmom
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Tell them we all said they HAVE to!

jenluckenbach
01-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Tell them we all said they HAVE to!

That's right!!!!! Tell them someone better get their butt across the street or else! :p

(they don't deliver?? :confused: )

Lori Jordan
01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Im not telling you to eat the can,But i have had can goods with over due expiry dates,i and my kids have ate and we have allways been fine,Can goods generally do not go bad...JMO

catnapper
01-08-2007, 07:17 PM
That's right!!!!! Tell them someone better get their butt across the street or else! :p

(they don't deliver?? :confused: )
LOL... I can see them getting my call to deliver a $2 container of soup! LOL!!! They'd want to kill me!

kimlovescats
01-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't even like to eat leftovers very often. A good rule of thumb is "if in doubt, THROW it OUT!" Why take a chance on making yourself even more sick? Get feeling better soon! ;)

Cataholic
01-09-2007, 08:34 AM
The joke around the office is that I will eat anything!

So many of the dates are SELL BY dates, not expiration dates. AND, they have to put some date on the can, right?

Canned soup- which is nasty, IMO- has enough sodium in it to preserve a human.

The 'rule' at least for vomiting two year olds is light foods are okay to try if one hasn't vomited in 4 hours. After a week of vomiting, I am the pro! (not me, Jonah!!)

moosmom
01-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Kim,

Look on the can for a 1-800 number. Call them and ask them. They can tell you whether you should eat it or not.

mike001
01-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Try nibbling on some ginger to settle your tummy.The kind that is sliced and sugar coated. I would go for chicken soup, tomato is very acidic, hard on the stomack if you're queasy.

ChrisH
01-09-2007, 10:24 AM
How about this for an old can of food. :eek:

Husband eats 50-year-old chicken
A man celebrated his golden wedding anniversary by eating a 50-year-old tin of chicken.

Les and Beryl Lailey, of Denton, Gtr Manchester, were given the chicken in a hamper on their wedding day in 1956. The Buxted Chicken tin remained in their kitchen cupboard until the couple marked 50 years together this month. "We kept it safe, and I always said 'on my 50th wedding anniversary I'm going to eat that chicken' - so I did," said former soldier, Mr Lailey, aged 73.
"When we got married I'd just come out of the Army and we had very little money, so we did our own buffet. We got a hamper as a present and included in it was this whole chicken in a tin. We didn't use it and packed it away and kept it."
Mr Lailey, a former soldier, said he had not felt ill since eating the chicken.

The pair met at an Irish pub in Hulme, Manchester.

"I had to go back to the Army almost straight after we met, but we kept in touch by writing letters. I came home and we got married," Mr Lailey added.

Prof Eunice Taylor, a food safety expert at the University of Salford, said: "Canned food can last indefinitely if it has been sealed properly, although the normal shelf life is about six months. If it's done at high temperatures and under high pressure, then the process should create a tight vacuum.
"If anyone is going to eat old canned food, I would suggest they heat it thoroughly first of all, just in case to be extra safe."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/manchester/4693520.stm

Looks like your hubby was right. :)

catnapper
01-09-2007, 11:31 AM
LOL.... thanks for that news article!

I finally got my chicken soup this afternoon for lunch (from the chinese restaurant) Like Jo, I HATE canned soup. I always taste metal for some reason.

The chicken noodle soup is making my tummy do belly flops (pun intended) I think eating was a major mistake for me right now. Its been nearly 48 hours since I had any "real" food (saltines don't count!)..... I've been making enough hot tea to keep all of China in business though :p

caseysmom
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
When I don't feel good I love the hot and sour soup at the chinese restaurants...

jackie
01-09-2007, 03:49 PM
ok, I wish I never read this thread, now I could MURDER a chinese!

I want the spicy house soup from my chinese, and I want it now!!!!!!

K9karen
01-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Look at the time... Thanks a lot....

I'm NOW craving hot and sour soup, eggplant in garlic sauce/Singapore noodle/Maipo Tofu/...oh and Chinese pizza, a couple a veggie rolls... :mad: :mad: :mad: (kidding)

animal_rescue
01-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Yep my cooking teacher told me that anything in a can is safe to eat anytime. There really is no expiration for canned goods.

moosmom
01-10-2007, 10:14 AM
animal_rescue,

I don't know how that can be. I took a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup dated 2003 to work. I heated it up and there were blobs of the soup mix. It looked awful so I threw it out. I KNEW there was a reason they had expiration dates on it. I wound up eating saltines.

Logan
01-10-2007, 10:22 AM
If something reaches the expiration date, I don't fool with it, period. It is GONE! And then I fuss at me for not using it sooner!

Logan