PDA

View Full Version : How do you make it stop?

Nobas Mom
01-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Hey all,

My 15 month old basset hound has this annoying behavior and everything I have tried seems to have no impact on making it stop. He is a jumper. He is very friendly to just about everyone, but instead of just sitting there letting people pet him, he insists on jumping on people. It's quite annoying and he seems to do it at the most inconvenient times (ie, coming in the house with an armload of groceries). It doesn't matter how long it's been since he has seen someone, he feels the need to jump on people to greet them. It's gotten severely out of hand, and I don't know what to do to stop it. I've tried turning my back as soon as I see him about to jump, I've tried getting down on his level the minute I walk in the door. I've tried ignoring him until he sits there nicely to get pets. Any ideas? Help me please! :confused: :confused: :confused:

angelchampy
01-09-2007, 02:03 PM
I loaned my book out to someone and haven't gotten it back yet, but it's what I consider "the dog bible." It's called "Dogs Behaving Badly" and it's by Dr. Nicholas Dodson. It's a book from A-Z of all the bad habits dogs have and stories and what to do about it. He's a really good doctor and that book has helped me tremendously. While I've never had a dog that jumped, there were other behaviors they had that I referred to the book. It's only about $20. Another thing you can do until you get the book, go online under his name. He has to have a site of some kind and maybe some tips until you get your hands on the book. I swear by it.

Freedom
01-09-2007, 03:36 PM
One way to break this habit: when the dog jumps up, you say "DOWN!" firmly. At the same time, step lightly on a back paw, and give the collar a jerk downwards. As the dog is up, reaching to step on a rear paw should be easy. You want the dog to feel the pressure on the paw and the downward jerk, but you don't want to hurt the dog. Uncomfortable, yes; hurt no.

Another method: When the dog is up ignore the dog. Do NOT react or respond as this is not behaviour you want to reward. No eye contact, no talking to the dog. When the dog is down, tell him "GOOD boy, Spot!"

OR if you are holding the leash and the dog is jumping on someone else, the other person must ignore the dog while you give the leash a jerk to get him down.

theterrierman
01-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Another method that was recommended to me by a great breeder around here was to grab the dog by just above the elbows, and dance it around the room, but make sure it is going backwards. Keep this up until you know the dog is just hating it. Do this every time it jumps up on you or your guests OR have them do it if they're cool with that.

k9friend
01-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I guess if I was that short, I'd be inclined to get level with the people, too. There are some good ideas here. I'll ask my friend who works with Cesar Millan and get back to you on this.

areias
01-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Yet another is to keep a "tab" on his collar...you can buy one from the store or cut a leash yourself...but it gives you a small amount of leash (maybe 6 inches) that when you come through the door you can take it and give him a correction down.

Edited-Also, work on sit-stay. The more consistent you are with that, you can command to sit and stay, therefore eliminating jumping.

tikeyas_mom
01-10-2007, 06:21 PM
My moms Great Dane was having issues with "jumpinh up" as well. You think having a basset jump on you isnt pleasant? try having a Great Dane do it lol. We just gave her a light/ but firm knee to the lower ribcage when she would jump up... She learned quickly to NOT jump inless she was asked to.

Taz_Zoee
01-10-2007, 09:41 PM
My moms Great Dane was having issues with "jumpinh up" as well. You think having a basset jump on you isnt pleasant? try having a Great Dane do it lol. We just gave her a light/ but firm knee to the lower ribcage when she would jump up... She learned quickly to NOT jump inless she was asked to.

That was going to be my suggestion as well. We did this with Zoee and it stopped quickly. We would just shove her back with our knee (not "hit" her or anything) and say OFF, or did we say DOWN? Oh well, choose whatever word you want to use. But of course all dogs are different so you have a few options here to work with and see which works best with your dog.
Good Luck!! :D

Nobas Mom
01-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've tried the ignoring part and it doesn't work, it frustrates him so he continues and continues and continues. I have an issue with the backward "dancing" with him, as he has hip dysplasia, so we try not to put too much pressure on his hips... although jumping you would think would hurt... lol... The knee to the ribcage lightly thing doesn't phase him. He's a hound, stubborn through and through... true to their nature!

Anyway, anymore suggestions would be great... I am willing to try anything at this point!!!

Taz_Zoee
01-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've tried the ignoring part and it doesn't work, it frustrates him so he continues and continues and continues. I have an issue with the backward "dancing" with him, as he has hip dysplasia, so we try not to put too much pressure on his hips... although jumping you would think would hurt... lol... The knee to the ribcage lightly thing doesn't phase him. He's a hound, stubborn through and through... true to their nature!

Anyway, anymore suggestions would be great... I am willing to try anything at this point!!!

Have you tried the stepping on his back paw? Of course not stomping on it, but just apply pressure to his paw.
You know what a co-worker told me when I was going through this with Zoee? She did this with one of her dogs. It only took one time, but she did the knee in the ribcage hard enough to hurt. The dog NEVER jumped up again on people. I know that sounds really harsh, but if it only takes one time...??? I wouldn't suggest to continue this method if it doesn't work, of course. Personally, I couldn't do it with Zoee, but luckily the other lighter method worked with her. Maybe start out with the light nudge and work up to an amount that will get his attention that it is not okay to jump.
These are merely suggestions, as I am in no way a dog expert. :D
Just trying to help. Again....good luck. :)

freckledimple
01-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Another trick or two that might work is:
1. Instead of a light knee to the chest, step firmly into him and throw his balance off.

or

2. When he jumps, step way back so that he cannot make contact, again throwing off his balance.

The key would be to keep him off balance, they don't like to be off balance. Of course, always accompany it with a firm no or down. Always praise him when he does well.

catnapper
01-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Have you tried the stepping on his back paw? Of course not stomping on it, but just apply pressure to his paw.
You know what a co-worker told me when I was going through this with Zoee? She did this with one of her dogs. It only took one time, but she did the knee in the ribcage hard enough to hurt. The dog NEVER jumped up again on people. I know that sounds really harsh, but if it only takes one time...??? I wouldn't suggest to continue this method if it doesn't work, of course. Personally, I couldn't do it with Zoee, but luckily the other lighter method worked with her. Maybe start out with the light nudge and work up to an amount that will get his attention that it is not okay to jump.
These are merely suggestions, as I am in no way a dog expert. :D
Just trying to help. Again....good luck. :)
Dogs have DIED using this technique. Their ribs were cracked and punctured their hearts fr instant death. Not a risk I'd take.

How consistent were you twith ignoring? It works, only if you're 100% consistent. When people tell me it didn't work I'm very leery that they actually tried it. NO ATTENTION.... ignore EVERYTHING. No eye contact, no touching, no talking. Nothing!

applesmom
01-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I've never tried this with a Basset. Since they're lower to the ground it might be a little awkward. Here's what's worked for me when all the traditional methods failed.

You'll have to set the situation up so both hands are completely free. Without making an issue of it, (no harsh commands, yelling or jerking ;) ) I would slip my fingers of my hand into the collar underneath the neck and apply gentle but firm and constant force downward until all 4 feet were on the floor.

Once the feet were back on the floor, (the dog will still be squirming) I'd begin gently rubbing the chest area from just between the front legs and below the throat with the other hand while speaking in a soft yet firm voice. In this situation I usually use the words, settle or settle down. (do not praise him)This will usually calm even the most excited dog down after a few moments.

After the dog is calmed down completely, release him and be prepared to repeat the process immediatley and for as many tries as it takes. With absolute consistency and calm, It usually doesn't take too many sessions for them to get the idea that keeping all 4 on the floor is much more rewarding than jumping up on people.

Absolute consistency is vital to this method. If you come home with an armload of groceries, leave them in the car and go inside and deal with the dog first until such time as you're positive he's got it down pat. Otherwise you'll be reinforcing the idea that he can get away with it when your arms are full.

Good luck!

theterrierman
01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I have an issue with the backward "dancing" with him, as he has hip dysplasia, so we try not to put too much pressure on his hips... although jumping you would think would hurt... lol...

Yeah...I didn't realize he was dysplastic... in that case, heck no, don't follow what I said.

sheltieluver
01-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Really ignoring your dog is the best way to stop the jumping and praise him when he is down on all four. You said he continues and continues and continues. With patience, he will eventually stop jumping and again, praise for good behavior. Good luck! :)

lizbud
01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
How consistent were you twith ignoring? It works, only if you're 100% consistent. When people tell me it didn't work I'm very leery that they actually tried it. NO ATTENTION.... ignore EVERYTHING. No eye contact, no touching, no talking. Nothing!

I agree.The ignore method works, but it takes time. It doesn't happen
in a day or a week. Time, repetition and consistancy. Try for 2, 3 weeks
and see how it goes then.

agilityk9trainer
01-11-2007, 11:29 PM

I like that you mentioned that he continues and continues and continues. Yes he does! You bet! Most of them do. But, as you'll see below, if you continue to be consistant, the method will work.

What happens whenever you use the ignore technique on any attention-getting behavior, whether it be jumping or pawing or barking or whatever - you'll run into what's called the "extinction burst." The extinction burst is where the behavior actually gets WORSE before it gets better (or becomes extinct). Why? Well, the dog always got attention with this behavior before, so the first thing the dog tries when you're ignoring him is to do even more jumping. Shoot. It always worked before! If you give into him and turn around and say even, "No!", what have you done? You've given your dog the attention it wants - even the negative attention! :eek: It will make it that much more difficult to extinct the behavior.

Stick to your guns. Wait the extinction burst out. It may take several weeks. Over time, you will see improvement.

Also, I don't see any problems trying Applesmom's suggestion, if you'd like.

However, the knee to the chest is very old and very dangerous advice. Dogs have died with that method. Sure it works. It you hit me in the chest for jumping, I'd quit, too. I'd also be more wary and guarded around you. And, you can fatally injure your dog. Avoid it at all costs.

angelchampy
01-12-2007, 08:31 AM
:p
I like that you mentioned that he continues and continues and continues. Yes he does! You bet! Most of them do. But, as you'll see below, if you continue to be consistant, the method will work.

What happens whenever you use the ignore technique on any attention-getting behavior, whether it be jumping or pawing or barking or whatever - you'll run into what's called the "extinction burst." The extinction burst is where the behavior actually gets WORSE before it gets better (or becomes extinct). Why? Well, the dog always got attention with this behavior before, so the first thing the dog tries when you're ignoring him is to do even more jumping. Shoot. It always worked before! If you give into him and turn around and say even, "No!", what have you done? You've given your dog the attention it wants - even the negative attention! :eek: It will make it that much more difficult to extinct the behavior.

Stick to your guns. Wait the extinction burst out. It may take several weeks. Over time, you will see improvement.

Also, I don't see any problems trying Applesmom's suggestion, if you'd like.

However, the knee to the chest is very old and very dangerous advice. Dogs have died with that method. Sure it works. It you hit me in the chest for jumping, I'd quit, too. I'd also be more wary and guarded around you. And, you can fatally injure your dog. Avoid it at all costs.

The "extinction burst" makes alot of sense. Sure, the dog doesn't know what's going on that you're ignoring him and he tries harder. But if you do keep it up, he will eventually get the hint. It'll probably take some time but heck, time and tolerance is what it's all about. :) I'll have to mention this "burst" to my sister. She has a chocolate lab that is always barking to eat. He can't get enough. :eek: He's got a weight problem and the more she ignores him the more and louder he barks. Finally, she can't stand it anymore and gives in. (Just what he wanted - he won!) :p She told me it just doesn't work to ignore him. But I'm going to tell her about this "burst." This way she can try it again and expect this reaction - and keep it up this time! :D