PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Mealworms/Superworms?

tikeyas_mom
01-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Anyone have experience breeding/raising Mealworms and or SuperWorms... I would really like to start... Is it ultamitly cheaper then buying them at petstores? I'd like to know what my reptiles are eating, and how healthy there food is.. This is why I'm considering breeding.

Twisterdog
01-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh, yuck. I don't think I could do it. Superworms SO gross me out.

Here's some instructions: from Here. (http://www.nyworms.com/mealworms.htm)

"Want to try growing your own mealworms? It's not difficult to do, just follow our simple instructions.

Mealworms are not really any type of worm at all but rather the larva form of the adult beetle. They are insects. The mealworms (actually larva) will grow, then turn into pupa and finially emerge as beetles.

Mealworm beetles start off a light ivory color but soon turn dark brown, almost black. They lay multiple clutches of eggs that are too small to really see. The beetles can fly but given food and moisture, very rarely do. We never use screens or lids on our growing bins.

A good number of mealworms to start your own project is 1,000. For that amount, use a Rubbermaid or Sterilite storage box approximately 10" X 17" X 6". Put in about 1 ½-2 inches of wheat bran or oatmeal substrate as mentioned above. We feel that the wheat bran is better, but the oatmeal will do. Remember, no lids!

Cut 2-3 sheets of newspaper to cover approximately 2/3 of the surface area of the container, leaving space between the edges of it and the container sides. Mealworms will often crawl between the sheets of paper. Spray the paper (only) once or twice a day using care not to soak the paper and/or moisten the bedding. Keep the container warm (the warmer, the faster you will produce beetles and then worms) and soon your mealworms will begin the morphosis process to pupae and then beetles. Replenish the substrate as it is eaten and add veggies as explained above for moisture. Soon you will be harvesting your own mealworms!"

I'd like to breed crickets. They are SO expensive! :eek: I'm not sure I could do that, either, though. I don't like insects. I just tolerate a few crickets because I have to.

TamanduaGirl
01-08-2007, 01:21 AM
crickets are harder because you need to keep them warmer. Mealworms are easy but the gross part is all that bug poop!

tikeyas_mom
01-08-2007, 02:25 AM
I have done some reading up on breeding crickets.. and i dont think there is an easy way of doing it lol. apparently they need a certian amount of heat, and humidity... but if you are successful at it, you get ALOT of them at once.

I'd like to breed crickets because, yes, they are very pricey.

sharcano
01-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Hello all,

I have successfully bred both crickets and mealworms. I am currently working on breeding superworms. I have a juvenile bearded dragon and a foot long savanna monitor. I decided to breed my own food for them due to the price per dozen at several local pet stores. I have detailed information on breeding/maintaining both crickets and mealworms if anyone needs help.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Rather than breeding them you could get them from a breeder and elimate the middle man (pet store). If I remember correctly my friend buys her mealworms/superworms/waxworms from Rainbow Mealworms (https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/products.asp?PR=MW). It's a whole lot cheaper than the pet store and you don't have to be bothered with the breeding.