PDA

View Full Version : Westminster 2007- update pg 8 post112*REPLAY 2/13

borzoimom
01-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Is on February 12, and 13.. I cant wait...

areias
01-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Ooooh. TBS airs it, don't they? Are you going?

Freedom
01-07-2007, 08:40 PM
I stay up and watch EVERY year. Both nights. A few years back, I took notes on the breeds that I was interested in owning at some point.

Hmm, I should pull out that list. I bet bichon was NOT on the list because they are considered "high maintenance." Ha ha, joke's on me!

I think Animal Planet shows it???

Ginger's Mom
01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
It's usually on the USA Network.

Taz_Zoee
01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
I will just have to TiVo it!! hee hee

lute
01-07-2007, 10:08 PM
OH YES!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!! Someday I'll go there!

Karen
01-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for letting us know - now remind us all when it's closer!

Danegirl2208
01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Oh id love to BE there! But i'll settle for watching it on t.v i suppose lol ;)

Alysser
01-08-2007, 05:36 AM
I'm 99% sure animal planet shows it. I usually just watch bits a pieces of it. I'd love to go there to watch the agility rings, and the show.

chocolatepuppy
01-08-2007, 06:18 AM
USA channel here. ;) I love the herding and working groups best! Then of course the toy group.
Oh of course, I love them all! :D

borzoimom
01-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Ooooh. TBS airs it, don't they? Are you going?
The last few years, if I remember right- it was on animal planet and USA channels.
I wish I was going. Maybe next year- if I can get Zubin to finish and special ( alias competing in the Best of Breed ring, and win.) I hope to finish Galina as well, but the plan this year is for her to have puppies- that will knock out her coat and take her out of the ring for months.
There is also a new virus that is going through the dog world. I have heard it called " the dog flu" to " non specific canine herpes.". This is picked up by a dog you have at the show, then carries it home to the females in whelp- killing puppies ( sort of like what we went through in the 80's with parvo. When she has the pups, and two weeks before- no dog of mine is going anywhere ... lol..

elizabethann
01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh boy...that means a late night for me (11:00pm :D ). But that's okay. I love watching the Westminster and learning about all types of dogs. Thanks for the update!

3GSDMom
01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
My dad and I are flying up there for both days. I'm so excited as it is my first dog show :D I'll be sure to take TONS of pictures to share with everyone. ;)

cassiesmom
01-18-2007, 04:40 PM
There is a schedule for all the judging of the Westminster Dog Show on their Web site - it has the group judging for both evenings, Feb. 12 and 13: westminsterkennelclub.org
Borzoimom, there is a list on the Westminster Kennel Club of dogs invited to Westminster - so I was wondering - what qualifies a dog to be invited to Westminster? Maybe it has something to do with all those initials before and after the dog's formal name.

borzoimom
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM
There is a schedule for all the judging of the Westminster Dog Show on their Web site - it has the group judging for both evenings, Feb. 12 and 13: westminsterkennelclub.org
Borzoimom, there is a list on the Westminster Kennel Club of dogs invited to Westminster - so I was wondering - what qualifies a dog to be invited to Westminster? Maybe it has something to do with all those initials before and after the dog's formal name.
In order to be invited to Westminster- they take the top 25 of the breed listed by points.. And they are invited. Sometimes the dog is retired or in the case of females, with puppies... They need 25 of each breed and continue on..
Once a dog makes champion they become a "special" and continue to compete for Best of breed, and group and Best in show.. A few years back, with the rare breeds they use to take top pointed pups.. But that changed in 2002..

applesmom
01-18-2007, 05:28 PM
There are no "regular" classes at Westminster. All entered dogs of each breed must be Champions of record and will be competing for Best of Breed and Best of Opposite sex. Only the Best of Breed winner will go on to the group.

Only the top 5 are "invited" and have the privilege of sending their entries in early. Other Champions of record may be entered on a first-come-first-served basis.

mr.chiwawa
01-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Im soo excitied I always watch the whole thing and pick my favs from each group. But of course toy is my fav. I know that where I am its airing on the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet.(i'm in NH) I too will prob TiVo some of it.
Chi Hugs......

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 07:21 AM
OKAY guys- its getting close now.. lol..
Oh I hope the borzoi is Kalarney- he is the number one borzoi, and number 10 hound in standings.. ( that means of all the hounds- he is number 10- that includes the 15 inch beagle... lol...)

Freedom
02-02-2007, 07:28 AM
It's marked on my calendar so I don't miss it! I've been looking at the TV web site as well in preparation.

http://www.usanetwork.com/sports/westminsterdogshow/index.html

3GSDMom
02-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Im getting very excited! We'll be flying out next weekend. I can't wait to photograph all the dogs there. I'm especially looking forward to the Herding and Working Classes.

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Im getting very excited! We'll be flying out next weekend. I can't wait to photograph all the dogs there. I'm especially looking forward to the Herding and Working Classes.
Ohhhhhhhhhh Travis- PLEASE PLEASE- GET some pictures of the borzois- PLEASE.. Ch. Irishbrook Kalarney or Ch. Vento Danza Poseidon especially...

3GSDMom
02-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh Travis- PLEASE PLEASE- GET some pictures of the borzois- PLEASE.. Ch. Irishbrook Kalarney or Ch. Vento Danza Poseidon especially...

I'll remember to get a picture of them for you! I'm bringing several memory cards so I can assure you there will be multiple pictures of every breed I see. :)

Danegirl2208
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I'll remember to get a picture of them for you! I'm bringing several memory cards so I can assure you there will be multiple pictures of every breed I see. :)

DONT FORGET THE DANES!!!! ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
You're so lucky! I'd love to go to Westminster one day and see all of the dogs. If you happen to see any, would you mind getting a Toller picture or two, please?

I have to wait until the 17th I think to watch it on TV, but I often get bored with it after a group or two. I much prefer going to shows than watching them on TV.

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Ohhhhhhh thank you!!! Remember those two especially I said.. And uh Galina will thank you too... lol..

3GSDMom
02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I'll write the names down ;)

Tollers and Danes ofcourse :D

GreyhoundGirl
02-02-2007, 05:18 PM

You're going!?!?!?!?!

GET THE GREYHOUNDS!!!!!! :p :D

3GSDMom
02-02-2007, 05:23 PM
You're going!?!?!?!?!

GET THE GREYHOUNDS!!!!!! :p :D

Yes, my dad surprised me with Tickets. :) I didn't think he would actually buy them (He had asked me if I wanted to go, but I honestly didnt think he would go out and buy them). Its my first dog show ever and seems like a good show to start with ;)

I'll remember the Greyhounds.

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 05:30 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kicking dirt clods- ohhhhhhhhh pout pout- sniff sniff- I wish I was going ... kdc (= kicking dirt clods..)

GreyhoundGirl
02-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes, my dad surprised me with Tickets. :) I didn't think he would actually buy them (He had asked me if I wanted to go, but I honestly didnt think he would go out and buy them). Its my first dog show ever and seems like a good show to start with ;)

I'll remember the Greyhounds.

Particularly is there is a fawn!

Oh... I wish I could go... pout.

3GSDMom
02-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Particularly is there is a fawn!

Oh... I wish I could go... pout.

*makes note* Fawn. I'll remember that :)

GreyhoundGirl
02-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Thank You!!! :d

borzoimom
02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
This coming Monday and tuesday everyone-.. lol..( can't wait..)

elizabethann
02-08-2007, 08:20 AM
This coming Monday and tuesday everyone-.. lol..( can't wait..)

Oh cool! Thanks for the update!

borzoimom
02-08-2007, 02:49 PM
REMEMBER- REMEMBER... And borzois are in the hound group... teehee..

Husky15
02-08-2007, 02:58 PM
I saw a commercial for that while watching Top Dogs. I know I will never remember the dates, so I'll send myself a reminder on the computer. :D

GreyhoundGirl
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
My mom said I can stay up both nights so long as I have my homework done. Well, the gabber group wont like that, because that means I wont be able to join them but I think missing a gabber night is worth drooling over the greys and CH Irishbrook Kalarney. (don't know if I spelt that right... sorry Galina!)

borzoimom
02-08-2007, 05:14 PM
My mom said I can stay up both nights so long as I have my homework done. Well, the gabber group wont like that, because that means I wont be able to join them but I think missing a gabber night is worth drooling over the greys and CH Irishbrook Kalarney. (don't know if I spelt that right... sorry Galina!)
You did just fine Michelle!!! teehee- go Kalarney- go Kalarney...

borzoimom
02-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Dr. Richard Meen is judging the terrier group. He is the co-owner of zubin and Galina...

Husky_mom
02-09-2007, 03:20 PM
please take an extra memory to pic the Sibes........please please please.......

and if you could also Bull Terrier........brindle if any.......

Husky15
02-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Dr. Richard Meen is judging the terrier group. He is the co-owner of zubin and Galina...
Oh, how cool! I'll be looking out for him.

pitc9
02-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Yippee!! I'm glad you're going!
This means I KNOW I'll be able to see pictures of GSD's! :D
HAVE FUN!!

3GSDMom
02-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Yippee!! I'm glad you're going!
This means I KNOW I'll be able to see pictures of GSD's! :D
HAVE FUN!!

Oh yes, I just must remember to limit myself! Don't want to spend all the memory on GSDs (That wouldn't be so horrible though.... :p )

I'm leaving tomorrow! :D

chocolatepuppy
02-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I'll be watching! The herding group is my favorite although I have favorite dogs in all of the groups. Now what group are the borzois in again? ;)

borzoimom
02-09-2007, 06:42 PM
I'll be watching! The herding group is my favorite although I have favorite dogs in all of the groups. Now what group are the borzois in again? ;)
Hounds...

borzoimom
02-11-2007, 08:05 AM
HEY ALL- STARTS TOMORROW NIGHT! lol..

RobiLee
02-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Ohhhh, thank you so much for the reminder! I watch the Westminster every year and I've been so busy that I completely forgot about it this year. Geesh, I wish I could have asked Ashley for some akita pics while she is there. I see she has already left though. Lucky Girl! I would love to go some day.

When I first started watching the Westminster I can remember sitting and studying all the breeds and trying to figure out which breed I wanted. I couldn't ever decide. I wanted them all...lol. I seem to be really attracted to the working and herding groups though. Oh heck, I love them all! :D

Ginger's Mom
02-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Ginger is having a Westminster party, and has already invited some doggie friends over to watch the show. It should be interesting. ;)

lute
02-11-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm definatly watching it! I wish I could go.

cassiesmom
02-11-2007, 10:36 AM
HEY ALL- STARTS TOMORROW NIGHT! lol..

:) :D
After I watch it I always say I want to adopt a dog. No dogs allowed in my building, though.

Kalei
02-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow everyone I'm getting some excited! Before the other day I never even knew what Westminsters were, and then I heard my sister (Husky15) keep going on about it and asked her. And now I am going to sit up and watch it with her:D I can't wait! It does mean that I will be tired for work for those two mornings, but it seems highly worth it! I'm glad my sister told me about it and I can't wait to see the pictures!:)

I can't wait to see the GSD's, Huskies, Malamutes, Great Danes and Borzois!:)

borzoimom
02-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Wow everyone I'm getting some excited! Before the other day I never even knew what Westminsters were, and then I heard my sister (Husky15) keep going on about it and asked her. And now I am going to sit up and watch it with her:D I can't wait! It does mean that I will be tired for work for those two mornings, but it seems highly worth it! I'm glad my sister told me about it and I can't wait to see the pictures!:)

I can't wait to see the GSD's, Huskies, Malamutes, Great Danes and Borzois!:)
" and borzois.." GOD BLESS YOUR HEART! I am so excited and can NOT wait!

Kalei
02-11-2007, 12:08 PM
" and borzois.." GOD BLESS YOUR HEART! I am so excited and can NOT wait!

Aww thanks...yes I really adore Borzois, I didn't even know they existed until I became a member on this forum and seen yours. After I seen yours I looked them up in some dog encyclopedias and I fell in love with the breed, they have that look and size to them that I just love:D

Isn't great to know that so many of us PT friends will all be watching the same show on the same nights! I guess there won't be many people logged onto pt those nights lol, we'll all be in front of the TV:D

borzoimom
02-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Maybe Karen can set up a gabbly for this one show.. lol.. We could all watch it together..

GreyhoundGirl
02-11-2007, 02:09 PM
:D :D :D

Tomorow *lotto 649 happy dance* Tomorow!!! *westminster 2007 happy dance*

elizabethann
02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I can't wait. I have my evening all planned. Fenway's going to DDC so he can get pooped out and I'll be able to watch it without feeling guilty about not playing with him or taking him for a long walk. :D I just need to buy some snack foods so I can snack while I'm watching it. :D

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Tonight!!! ( squeeelllllls) :D

Freedom
02-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Big article in our newspaper today. (Westminster barely gets coverage normally, and definitely NOT before hand. Usually, there is a tiny blurb about the winner of Best in Show, buried in the Sports section.)

Judge for Best in Show is from Narragansett, RI. He is chief of cardiac surgery at Miram Hospital in Providence - the only hospital either Dad or I has ever been to here. They did an indepth intereview with photos of him judging and in the surgery theatre. One photo shows him in a breed ring awarding the blue ribbon last year - with a bichon! I think I like this guy already!!!

So now I need to look for the judge of the terrier group, Dr. Meen, and the judge of Best in Show (THAT one won't be hard to remember!), Dr. Robert Indeglia.

cassiesmom
02-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Starts tonight *anticipatory wiggle*

8 PM Eastern on U.S.A. Network. Here is today's schedule:
GROUP JUDGING:
Best of Group competition will be judged in the following order beginning at 8PM:
Working
Terrier
Toy
Non-Sporting

I enjoy the Working group because some of these breeds serve as helper dogs for blind and disabled people. I enjoy the Non-Sporting group because the dogs are all so different from each other. I enjoy the terriers because of their terrier determination. The toy group cracks me up because they're petite! I just like the whole show because I want one of almost every dog and I always learn something from the commentary.

Does anyone know if they show the junior handling competition? I think it's neat that the kids can learn to do this. I wonder how the judging works for that and I would love to see the kids in person some day as they show what they've learned.

Hug your dogs for me, please, everybody. Paws and fingers crossed for West Highland Terrier because we have a friend who has one.

Kalei
02-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited:D That's all I can think about at work, I get off at 5:00 and when I get off I'm going to be so thrilled to go home and get relaxed and ready to watch Westminster with my sister:D

We'll all be smiling together while we watch the Doggy Show!:D

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Big article in our newspaper today. (Westminster barely gets coverage normally, and definitely NOT before hand. Usually, there is a tiny blurb about the winner of Best in Show, buried in the Sports section.)

Judge for Best in Show is from Narragansett, RI. He is chief of cardiac surgery at Miram Hospital in Providence - the only hospital either Dad or I has ever been to here. They did an indepth intereview with photos of him judging and in the surgery theatre. One photo shows him in a breed ring awarding the blue ribbon last year - with a bichon! I think I like this guy already!!!

So now I need to look for the judge of the terrier group, Dr. Meen, and the judge of Best in Show (THAT one won't be hard to remember!), Dr. Robert Indeglia.
Dr.Meen is filling in for Annie Rodgers Clark who died about two months ago. You have to be a major hi-caliber judge for westminster because of international dogs..

elizabethann
02-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but if you go to their website, they have a cute little video of all these dogs jumping. I love the Bichon's. They're so cute when they jump - like snowflakes.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I saw that.. " get loose, get loose.." roflmbo!

Husky15
02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Tonight. :D

GreyhoundGirl
02-12-2007, 03:03 PM
:mad: What the....... heck. :mad: My.....dumb.... TV isn't airing westminster. WHY?!?!? It did all the other years when I forgot to watch it!!! STUPID TV!!! Now what do I do? :mad: :(

critter crazy
02-12-2007, 03:10 PM
it is airing here on USA network tonight at 8:00eastern time! Cant wait!:D

GreyhoundGirl
02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
it is airing here on USA network tonight at 8:00eastern time! Cant wait!:D
rub it in... :p :(

elizabethann
02-12-2007, 03:15 PM
:mad: What the....... heck. :mad: My.....dumb.... TV isn't airing westminster. WHY?!?!? It did all the other years when I forgot to watch it!!! STUPID TV!!! Now what do I do? :mad: :(

That stinks!

finn's mom
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll have to see if I can turn it on and just keep it on in the background... but I'm not sure if David will be keen on watching the whole thing...I'm sure I'll see parts of it!

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 03:21 PM
It airs on USA and Animal Planet. do you get either?

theterrierman
02-12-2007, 03:58 PM

I have the same problem. If you get OLN, it's on the 20th and 21st at 7:00 pm.

Kalei
02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
For me and Husky15 it starts in 1 hour and 8 minutes!!!! :D

critter crazy
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
For me and Husky15 it starts in 1 hour and 8 minutes!!!! :D
Yup one hour here too!!:D

Husky15
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
50 minutes! :D Kalei and I got some chocolate and Doritos to enjoy during the show. :D

Freedom
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
I KNOW that name, Annie Rodgers Clark! She was a frequent judge!!! I didn't realize she died!!

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I KNOW that name, Annie Rodgers Clark! She was a frequent judge!!! I didn't realize she died!!
Afraid so- she is deeply missed in the dog world. I hope they do a tribute to her..

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
its On!!!

applesmom
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
That's not fair. It doesn't come on here till 9PM and it's only 6PM now. :eek:

elizabethann
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I like the Giant Schnauzer so far. Oh bummer...she just passed that one.
:(

The one that looks like a mop is pretty cool too.

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
For sake of those that havent seen this, I am withholding comments but ohhhhhhhhhh wow... lol...

critter crazy
02-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I am drooling!!!!! I just love everylast one of those dogs!!! :eek:

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Omg- Pedigree Just Said That If You Log On To Pedigree, You Can Give Without Buying The Food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

cassiesmom
02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
its On!!!

What's happening, I'm not near the TV, what am I missing?

Freedom
Here is the tribute to Annie Rodgers Clark!!!!

critter crazy
They are right now doing a memorial to Anne Rogers Clark! very Nice!!

Ceph
02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
They're doing the tribute to Anne Rogers Clark...that was really sweet.

The Pedigree donations is great too...what a wonderful thing for them to do.

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:59 PM
They are right now doing a memorial to Anne Rogers Clark! very Nice!!
AMEN!!!!

Freedom
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
The Westminster web site has videos, you can watch the individual breed judging, and also the junior handlers (someone asked about the juniors earlier in this thread!)

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2007/video/breed/index.html

cassiesmom
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
The Westminster web site has videos, you can watch the individual breed judging, and also the junior handlers (someone asked about the juniors earlier in this thread!)

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2007/video/breed/index.html

Oh, thank you! I've never seen breed judging at a dog show. Won't that be interesting to watch!

elizabethann
02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Did you see what that dog did to its handler? :eek:
(I won't spill the beans).

I guess that dog won't be winning. :(

elizabethann
02-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I didn't know that the dog from last year was still missing. Poor thing.

Ceph
02-12-2007, 08:48 PM
The breed judging will be interesting.

Yay! The herding group! Thats what I wanna see!!!

Ginger's Mom
02-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I guess I should have realized, but I didn't realize that it has been a year that Vivi (?) has been missing. :(

The Havenese isn't always shown corded, is it? I mean I had looked into the breed and knew that the coat corded as they got older, but I didn't think they were shown that way.

Lori Jordan
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM

My Hubby said the same thing!

critter crazy
02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
M hubby said that he was showing off his realy pretty white teeth!!:D

Ceph
02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Did anyone else catch the 'Poy Toodle'? That was sort of cute.

bckrazy
02-12-2007, 09:28 PM

what group was this in? I think I missed it... that is bananas!

critter crazy
02-12-2007, 09:28 PM
what group was this in? I think I missed it... that is bananas!

It was the terrier group!

TFTpwnsYou
02-12-2007, 09:30 PM

If it was the Welsh Terrier yeah I saw that coming. I was like "ooohhhh someone didn't like what the handler did." The show has been pretty good so far.

RobiLee
02-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Woo Hoo! The Akita took 1st place in the working group. Katie was watching the whole time. :D

Pam
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
This has to be the best Westminster show I have watched in years. Two poodle winners tonight. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/Graphics/bounceall.gif

Robin, the Akita was gorgeous!

Sophist
02-12-2007, 10:06 PM
:mad:

Just moved, only have rabbit ears, so I am missing it all this year. Afterwards, you'll all have to share spoilers with me! :D

:( It was tradition that I always watch it with my mom and one sister, but a wicked stomach bug has shut that down this year. I can't remember ever missing it before.

Freedom
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Ginger's Mom, no, the havanese is not often shown in cords. But the announcers explained that these folks (owner, handler, both, I forget) have had 2 winners in a corded look so they stuck with it.

I gotta check the videos about that welsh terrier; Sugar had to "go" so I was outside and missed it!!

Daisy and Delilah
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
WOW, Pam!!! Those Poodles were hard to beat!! I could see you up on the floor cheering when they won. Congrats to them!! That Akita was gorgeous! :D

Joyce; Wasn't the American Eskimo beautiful? He was identical to my RB, Benny. I've never found a picture of him that I thought was very good. Odd, because he was so photogenic. Where are my good pictures of him?? I think the kids must have them. Anyway, if you saw the AE tonight, you saw Benny :)

I made my donation on the website. I hope they get alot of money. I can't wait until they announce it tomorrow night. :)

Sophist
02-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Ah, found the official website. Good stuff. No nitty gritty details, but the results at least.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 04:47 AM
This has to be the best Westminster show I have watched in years. Two poodle winners tonight. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/Graphics/bounceall.gif

Robin, the Akita was gorgeous!
I thought of you on those winners!! lol...

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 04:49 AM

I uh hmm wonder uh what the judge thought about that one.. lol...

Pam
02-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Joyce; Wasn't the American Eskimo beautiful?

I thought so too Terry! One of my childhood dogs was an Eskie (named Fluffy). Original name, huh? LOL! There are so many dogs that I would love to have. So many dogs and only one lifetime! I thought of you with the chihuahuas. The long-haired chi had such an unusual coat. I had never seen one like that. Of course each dog brought a PTer to mind! Can't wait for tonight. :)

Ginger's Mom
02-13-2007, 05:33 AM
Terry, yes that Eskie was gorgeous. I am so sorry that I never got to "know" Benny.
Pam, I loved that miniature Poodle. He seemed to have it all together. And yes, I too thought of you while watching the Poodles.
I thought the Akita was nice and I am happy he won, but, I still think Katie is prettier. She has a great face. :)
Thanks Freedom, I must have missed that. That is what I get for being on the computer while Westminster is on. ;)
I must have missed the Welsh Terrier snapping at his handler. I will have to check the website.
I can't wait until tonight. :)

elizabethann
02-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Let's see, Fenway had to poop just as the judge was picking the terrier winner.....I fell asleep and never found out who won the toy group...then I went to bed before the last group even came out.

My evening didn't go as I had planned. :(

I will try to stay up tonight....drink lots of Pepsi and hope we have a huge snow storm tomorrow so I can either sleep in and go to work late or just stay home. :D

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Let's see, Fenway had to poop just as the judge was picking the terrier winner.....I fell asleep and never found out who won the toy group...then I went to bed before the last group even came out.

My evening didn't go as I had planned. :(

I will try to stay up tonight....drink lots of Pepsi and hope we have a huge snow storm tomorrow so I can either sleep in and go to work late or just stay home. :D
If its the storm we got now in the mountains of Va.- you wont be going anywhere tomorrow.. lol..

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 07:29 AM
FOR THOSE THAT MISSED IT LAST NIGHT- OR PARTS of it - it comes BACK ON TODAY AT 11AM!! ( usa)

Ceph
02-13-2007, 08:54 AM
If its the storm we got now in the mountains of Va.- you wont be going anywhere tomorrow.. lol..

:( :( I was so sad....Blacksburg, VA was supposed to get this huuuge storm....I woke up this morning and nothing..... :( :(

Its warm this week and last week we were romping around in 0 degree weather...I wish the rain had come then....lol.

::grrrr:: meteorologists ::grrrr::

anyway, back on subject...I CANT WAIT FOR THE HERDING DOGS...most of my favorite dogs are in the Herding category. :D :D Can't wait! I also cant wait for the hounds...so many pretty dogs in that section.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 08:58 AM
:( :( I was so sad....Blacksburg, VA was supposed to get this huuuge storm....I woke up this morning and nothing..... :( :(

Its warm this week and last week we were romping around in 0 degree weather...

::grrrr:: meteorologists ::grrrr::

anyway, back on subject...I CANT WAIT for the herding dogs...most of my favorite dogs are in the Herding category. :D :D Can't wait! (I also can't wait to see the Borzoi's, they are really very enchanting dogs! :D )
Ohhhhhhhhhh wow- you live in Blacksburg??? I live near Woodstock! You are about an hour from me!
Half of our ice and snow is because its only 24 degrees and this mountain top. .. Maybe we could meet up at the Fisherville show this spring????

Ceph
02-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Haha, I go to school in Blacksburg, but I would love to go see a show, I just have to see what it coincides with with school and everything...hopefully it will be around break :D (my last yeeeeaaaaar!!!! finally graduating!!!!! ::little happy dance:: ) I would really love to see a show though...I havent been to one, and I have been itching to go see how they work and fawn over all the dogs (and take lots and lots of pictures so I can fawn over them later too).

I am going to feel like an idiot for saying this Borzoimom - but I have been to your website and somehow I totally missed that you were in Va. Thats awsome! (I am from the great state of Maryland (not so much) around DC., but I like Virginia best!) I drive through Woodstock on my way too and from school (down I-81)

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Haha, I go to school in Blacksburg, but I would love to go see a show, I just have to see what it coincides with with school and everything...hopefully it will be around break :D (my last yeeeeaaaaar!!!! finally graduating!!!!! ::little happy dance:: ) I would really love to see a show though...I havent been to one, and I have been itching to go see how they work and fawn over all the dogs (and take lots and lots of pictures so I can fawn over them later too).

I am going to feel like an idiot for saying this Borzoimom - but I have been to your website and somehow I totally missed that you were in Va. Thats awsome! (I am from the great state of Maryland (not so much) around DC., but I like Virginia best!) I drive through Woodstock on my way too and from school (down I-81)
GET OUT OF TOWN!!!! I am right off I-81!!!! :D

Ceph
02-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Are you anywhere around that big water tower?

This is going to sound terrible...but I got my first ticket in Woodstock, which is probably why I remember it so well (I have since reformed and turned into a granny driver...or so says my boyfriend :p )

~Ceph

Daisy and Delilah
02-13-2007, 09:20 AM
I watched the video on the website yesterday of the Chihuhua judging. There were two smooth coat white ones and a long coat white one. None got into the best of breed though. I absolutely loved the long and smooth coat winners, of course. I think they're all adorable. As a matter of fact, I love watching the entire show so much, every year, I'm usually in tears for the tremendous love I have for all the dogs. Does anyone else tear up while watching this show? Last night, I used a dozen tissues. After having been a member here and getting to know everyone's dogs, I can't stop tearing. Especially when one of our PT breeds come out. What the heck....I was already bawling from the Pedigree commercials. Just call me an old softie. :)

I also can't wait for the show tonight. I love to see the Aussie in the Herding Group since my son has two of them.

I have to say that I'm sorry that everyone didn't get to know my RB Benny. He was the best dog on the face of the earth. :)

I did catch the little toothy grin the Terrier gave his handler. Maybe he was tired of being picked up by his little tail :(

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
FOR THOSE THAT MISSED IT LAST NIGHT- OR PARTS of it - it comes BACK ON TODAY AT 11AM!! ( usa)

Rats! I'll miss it TWICE. :( *pout* *kick clods of dirty snow*
Live coverage begins at 7 PM Central today on USA. The hounds are the second group scheduled for tonight. It's snowing and blowing in Chicago so I might just have to cut school. Last night I put on USA, hoping they would replay the first evening. I ended up with Law and Order/CI and Monk - both of which I'm a fan of - but I really wanted to see the dogs. I love the promotional spot where the dogs are bouncing up and down! [What are the white fluffy ones?] And I'm now at the point where I change the channel the SECOND that Pedigree commercial starts, or else I get sudden onset of the leaky-eye syndrome.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Pedigree- during the duration of the show you can log on and donate without buying the food...

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Pedigree only makes dog products, right? (Nothing for cats?) Nine Lives has a similar program going with regard to cat adoptions. I'll have to check out the Pedigree site because those shelter commercials just break my heart.

TFTpwnsYou
02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I did catch the little toothy grin the Terrier gave his handler. Maybe he was tired of being picked up by his little tail :(

Yeah. I looked at my 2, and was like "can you blame him? I wouldn't want to be picked up by the tail either!" Lucky it wasn't a cat show.....lol.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah. I looked at my 2, and was like "can you blame him? I wouldn't want to be picked up by the tail either!" Lucky it wasn't a cat show.....lol.
In watching the show again now- the handler twisted the tail- and had the other hand under the throat in the pressure point- that was flat out stupid!! No Wonder Dr.Meen didnt dismiss the dog.. !

Kalei
02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Last nights show was great! For my first time watching one, I loved it so much, definately worth all the excitment!:D Now tonight are three amazing groups, can't wait!:D:D:D

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Borzoimom, I looked on the Westminster Web site. The Borzoi judging results are not posted yet. I wanted to see how Kalarney did!

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Borzoimom, I looked on the Westminster Web site. The Borzoi judging results are not posted yet. I wanted to see how Kalarney did!
( kicking dirt clods...) I looked too- guess we have to wait until tonight.
We have a bad ice and snow storm here- if we loose power- I will commit harry-carry... :(

elizabethann
02-13-2007, 01:15 PM
I watched the video on the website yesterday of the Chihuhua judging. There were two smooth coat white ones and a long coat white one. None got into the best of breed though. I absolutely loved the long and smooth coat winners, of course. I think they're all adorable. As a matter of fact, I love watching the entire show so much, every year, I'm usually in tears for the tremendous love I have for all the dogs. Does anyone else tear up while watching this show? Last night, I used a dozen tissues. After having been a member here and getting to know everyone's dogs, I can't stop tearing. Especially when one of our PT breeds come out. What the heck....I was already bawling from the Pedigree commercials. Just call me an old softie. :)

Sometimes I get teary eyed because I'm so proud of Fenway and lucky to have him in my life. I also tear up when they have a video of a dog that's done something special (like the 9/11 dogs in years past).

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Sometimes I get teary eyed because I'm so proud of Fenway and lucky to have him in my life. I also tear up when they have a video of a dog that's done something special (like the 9/11 dogs in years past).

Ditto. But sometimes the commentator will say something cute, or the dog will just do something "doggy", and I'll laugh.

Husky15
02-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Last night's show was simply amazing. It even got my dad in the mood to pretend that Belle was a big show-dog. :rolleyes:

Gorgeous, gorgeous staffies, and great danes, the greater swiss mountain dog, the boxer, ohhh man ... every single one of them. I can't wait until tonight, the sporting, hound and herding groups are all great ones.

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 01:34 PM
( kicking dirt clods...) I looked too- guess we have to wait until tonight.
We have a bad ice and snow storm here- if we loose power- I will commit harry-carry... :(

look... they are starting to post ... :) or, don't look and just wait till its on later
I think I want a dog. First I need a house that is dog-friendly, and a regular work schedule. I'll have to go visit my upstairs neighbors and their dogs.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 02:11 PM
look... they are starting to post ... :) or, don't look and just wait till its on later
I think I want a dog. First I need a house that is dog-friendly, and a regular work schedule. I'll have to go visit my upstairs neighbors and their dogs.
But they dont show you enough- its like they want you to buy the video.. so now- kicking dirt clods- I have to wait.
I did see Zubin and Galinas aunt and uncle in there- ( the two white with black) but still...

elizabethann
02-13-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm so happy - our CEO said I can work from home tomorrow! I can watch all of Westminster tonight! Yippee!!

Freedom
02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Cassie's Mom, those bouncy fluffy white ones in the Westminster commercial yousaw - they are Bichon Frisés, also called Fluffs. Like my Sugar:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/sugar%20bath%20time%20jan%2017/bathtime003.jpg

You have to comb them a LOT to get the full fluff effect. That is the show coat. Most folks don't do that. So you get the scruffy dog look:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/sugar%20bath%20time%20jan%2017/bathtime007.jpg

theterrierman
02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
It's not on until this weekend up here in Canada. Does anyone mind telling me what breed of Terrier showed his teeth to the handler, so I can look up the video? Thanks

Freedom
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Terrierman, watch the Welsh Terrier. As they go in alpha order, it is at the end of the group.

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Freedom - Thank you so much! Are Bichon Frise dogs bouncy and happy like that, in their personality? I have a friend who had one, but he was fastidious about the dog's white coat never getting dirty - so we (friends) never got to pet or play with the dog very much except right before he went to the stylist. I love that commercial - the dogs change so fast you have to be really watching!

Danegirl2208
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
aw shoot i missed last nights! I'll catch tonights..i know i missed the working group, Hopefully they'll be a re-run

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 06:38 PM
It's not on until this weekend up here in Canada. Does anyone mind telling me what breed of Terrier showed his teeth to the handler, so I can look up the video? Thanks
and you will also see the handler twist the tail like in a almost fold-... Stupid handler!

Love That Collie
02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Missed half of it.
Only saw Terrier group introductions and I guess the toy group.
What other group did the judge last night?

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Working, Terrier, Toy, and Non sporting

cali
02-13-2007, 06:49 PM
woohoo! Maverick went best of breed for the Tollers lol, I love him, and one of Electra possable boys to be bred too in the future is a Maverick son :p for the BCs..well I must say this BOB winner is even more creepy looking then the last one lol

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Bill Cosby's Dandie Dinmont won the terrier group

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Day 2 is being rerun tomorrow at 11 AM Eastern on USA.

Ceph
02-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Just saw a glimpse of the Borzoi - looks great Borzoimom!

(I am waiting for the Corgi's the Shepherds and the Collie's! )

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 07:30 PM
I heard kalarney didnt make it to the show... I hope thats not the case. I did see in the breif they showed- my handler with their white special borzoi- we shall see soon enough.

Ceph
02-13-2007, 07:32 PM
The Borzoi was mostly white I believe...but alot of them seem to have a large amount of white in them.

coco-bean
02-13-2007, 07:35 PM
I've been watching it tonight and all the pups were in the living room with me after they got done eating supper when i noticed coco was watching all the dogs trot around, it was cute! she actually pulled her bone under her and layed on it like a pillow, but by time i got the camera turned on she came over to me to see what i was doing!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/coco-bean/DigitalCameraPictures155-1.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/coco-bean/DigitalCameraPictures156-1.jpg

cali
02-13-2007, 07:57 PM
I watched the sporting group just to see Maverick, and I must say, after seeing his front movement I dont like him quite so much, his side movement was fine, but his front movement was gawd awful.:(

Ceph
02-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Aargh! We're having an Ice Storm and the Satelite Cable from the University keeps going in and out....so not fair!!!!

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 08:09 PM
HUNTSMEN!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhh I LOVE THAT DOG! I am sorry Kalarney didnt make the show- but I will take Huntsmen... (DROOLS ON COMPUTER) ...

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 08:30 PM
He just picked the Borzoi.... Oh, darn, I thought he was making his official picks and he was just making his first cut. I've never seen the wire-haired Dachshund before. One dog kind of jumped up on the judge and one dog barked really loud- does it matter if they do that?

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 08:32 PM
He just picked the Borzoi....
My heart went flying- ... rats.... PBGB... Well at least the borzoi was pulled out for consideration- thats something..

CagneyDog
02-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Are they marked on how they behave while being judged too? Like how well they walk with the handler and such?

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Are they marked on how they behave while being judged too?
No- unless there is aggression- like last night- the welch terrier bit the handler. Its at the judges discreation to dismiss the dog- but its obvious the handler twisted the tail..
It helps the judge if the dog is attentive- and alert and showing their true nature of their breed-.. Like the sighthounds are naturally more aloof than the scent hounds- a good judge knows the difference as each dog is bred on the standard of THAT breed..

Freedom
02-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Why do they put the bearded collie in the B's, but the smooth coat and the rough coat together as collie (coat type). Drives me nuts sometimes, hehe.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Why do they put the bearded collie in the B's, but the smooth coat and the rough coat together as collie (coat type). Drives me nuts sometimes, hehe.
The rough and smooth collie are the same breed but the variety is different with the coat- but its the same standard.
The bearded collie is a different breed.

applesmom
02-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Have they shown the sporting group yet! Is the GSP the Fieldfine dog?

Freedom
02-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Oh. I thought they were the same dog, 3 different coats. Thanks.

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 09:28 PM
The rough and smooth collie are the same breed but the variety is different with the coat- but its the same standard.
The bearded collie is a different breed.

I wonder if there's a link between the Beardie and the Old English Sheepdog. Same thing with the Polish Sheepdog... they all have that fluffy, poufy coat... ???

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I wonder if there's a link between the Beardie and the Old English Sheepdog. Same thing with the Polish Sheepdog... they all have that fluffy, poufy coat... ???
Many breeds contributed into other breeds- the most obvious is the Mastiff- in a lot of breeds, or in Terriers the now extinct Black and Tan Terrier. Even the Borzoi came from the Greyhound and collie..

mr.chiwawa
02-13-2007, 09:34 PM
:p I WANT THE PBGB OR THE AKITA TO TAKE THE BEST IN SHOW....I CANT STAND POODLES AND SINCE MY BREED DIDNT MAKE IT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE OF THE TWO I MENTIONED ABOVE TO TAKE IT.KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED :p

Freedom
02-13-2007, 09:35 PM
James (English Springer) or Bouvier, here.

I think the show cut does a lot to pull back the poodle. Wish they would get rid of that.

But then, I wish they would do away with docking (ears, tails, etc) too.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
ALL 7 ARE BEAUTIFUL- AND REMEMBER- WE ARE NOT THE ones that get their hands on the dog to judge... ( I like the standard poodle.. that dog just shines!!)

Danegirl2208
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
the PBGV is GORGEOUS, i wouldnt be a bit surprised if he won... im rooting for the English Springer Spaniel too, love him!

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 09:41 PM
or the akita- or... lol..

Danegirl2208
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Gah i LOOOVE James, i hope he wins, ive admired that boy for quite some time! But i guess its anyones race at this point..

Freedom
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
JAMES!!!!!

Danegirl2208
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Woo hoo!! LOOVE that boy!! :D

Who needs football when you have a dog show LMAO ;) *woot woot* :)

mr.chiwawa
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
YAY HE IS GORGEUOS(sp?) EVEN THOUGH I REALLY WANTED THE AKITA TO WIN......MAYBE NEXT YR

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
omg!!! James!!! What A Beautiful Dog!!!!!!!!!

cassiesmom
02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Do all German Shepherd Dogs have back legs that are angular like that, I never realized that before. Why is it a German Shepherd Dog, and not a German Shepherd, I wonder?

One more question, when they say a dog's ears are cropped or tail docked - is that necessary for judging, or can you leave it?

I didn't pick the winner (I was rooting for the PBGV or the Bouvier) -- But it was a lot of fun to watch! They were all so different from each other!

Freedom
02-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Cassie's Mom, each breed has a written standard, developed by the club for that breed. And yes, the standard for many requires docking, tail, ears or both.

This is the standard for the bichon.

http://www.bichon.org/akc.htm

You can google the breed name and standard and find the one you are thinking about. The Boston terrier has this standard:

http://www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/BostonTerrierBreedStandard.html

As you read through it, it says the ears must be erect, either naturally or docked.

And the standard varies based on which kennel club you are competeing in. AKC; UKC, CKC, and then all the other countries.

Husky15
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Congratulations, James and Kellie! (I believe that was her name) They both did great!

I gotta say, I think I loved watching the hound group the most. :D

GreyhoundGirl
02-14-2007, 06:54 AM
*watching it on the internet* hehehe. I *think* I can tell which one's Kalarney... haha the names weren't on it... He's white and fawn splotches... Oh, I can't tell... They're all so cute!!!

And the greyhounds were adorable!!!! I didn't know they had such long tails :eek: I knew they were long... but not THAT long!!! wowzers! Gorgeous though... They're so pretty... praceing in circles... awwwwww!!!

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Kalarney didnt make the show ( kicking dirt clods) but Huntsman was there- and he is almost as pretty.. He sure did show well!!! I loved how they focused on the borzois right before the hounds. There were 27 Borzois!

GreyhoundGirl
02-14-2007, 07:05 AM
:o I never would have known if you hadn't pointed it out... lol. They were all white and splotched. (except for the odd one) I don't know which one the one you mentioned was... the names aren't on the internet tapes. *KDC* I liked the hottie coloured ones :p :D

pssst: check your PMs ;)

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Hotties color is the most common, and even knowing the dogs, sometimes its hard to tell at first glance. Most of the dogs I would recognize- but I know who is showing the breed- it would be hard for someone not showing in the breed.. The one I think you are talking about as different is a self black.

Ginger's Mom
02-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Well, my opinion is that once you get to the Best of Show judging at Westminster, you are a sterling example of what your breed should be. So I always make my pick based on who is showing best in the ring at that time. Who is asking the judge to pick him. I completely agreed with the judge. James definitely asked to be picked last night. He was definitely "on." :) Congratulations James!

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 07:55 AM
James is a beautiful dog and a real showman!!!

elizabethann
02-14-2007, 08:15 AM
I voted for the PBGB (I think that's what they call it - shounds like heebee jibee's :D ). But at one point I saw James and I thought "what a beautiful dog". I'm glad he won. He was on Today this morning and he was pooped. He's had a busy past few days. :)

critter crazy
02-14-2007, 08:20 AM
I voted for the PBGB (I think that's what they call it - shounds like heebee jibee's :D ). But at one point I saw James and I thought "what a beautiful dog". I'm glad he won. He was on Today this morning and he was pooped. He's had a busy past few days. :)
its actually PBGV-Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen;)

Daisy and Delilah
02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
CONGRATULATIONS BEAUTIFUL JAMES!!! What a gorgeous boy he is. I didn't envy the doctor making the choice. It had to be next to impossible for him. I thought the Poodles were just illustrious. Both of them. I liked all the dogs but James was a good choice. :)

Kalei
02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Oh no Westminster is over:( And it was such a great year too:D My favorite of last nights was the Borzoi...which was stunningly beautiful, and the German Shepherd! I loved that German Shepherd.

I hope someday that the Wippet Vivi is found.

cassiesmom
02-14-2007, 12:23 PM
One more question - dog people, I hope you don't mind :)

The announcer said that two of the three poodle categories were in the Best in Show judging. They're each in a different group. I noticed that their coats were groomed the same way. Is that a special grooming they get for shows? It's so elaborate. I wonder why they're groomed that way, does it allow the judge to see characteristics of the dog better? I only know one person who has a poodle, and he came from a shelter so he's probably a random breed. She couldn't tell me why the purebred poodles are groomed in that style. Her dog just gets a basic treatment for pets at the groomer. (He still looks cute to me!)

thanks,
elyse

cassiesmom
02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Diamond Jim glitters at show
Certified therapy dog beats Cosby entry, takes top honors at Westminster event

By Ben Walker
The Associated Press

February 13, 2007, 11:45 PM CST

NEW YORK -- An English springer spaniel with a preference for chicken-and-garlic treats prevented America's top dog event from turning into "The Cosby Show."

Diamond Jim jumped into handler Kellie Fitzgerald's arms after being chosen Best in Show on Tuesday night at the Westminster Kennel Club.

Dressed in a glittering copper top that perfectly matched her brown-and-white pet, Fitzgerald cuddled the 6-year-old certified therapy dog.

"I'm over the moon," she said.

Diamond Jim beat out a Dandie Dinmont terrier co-owned by entertainer Bill Cosby, as he did at the big AKC/Eukanuba event in December. The springer was the nation's No. 2 show dog last year behind Cosby's entry. Fitzgerald also repeated, having won it all at Westminster in 2000.

"Bill Cosby and I are good friends," she said. "We're both competitive. We both wanted to win."

Cosby's run of bad luck on the green carpet at Madison Square Garden continued. He'd lost with several top dogs in the past and avoided coming this time to stave off the jinx.

Judge Robert Indeglia said he wished he had ribbons to give to all seven final contenders. Yet with only one top prize, he pointed to Diamond Jim.

Diamond Jim beat out the Dandie Dinmont, a pair of poodles and a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen, plus an Akita and a Bouviers des Flandres that pitted a husband and wife against each other. Larry Fenner handled the Bouviers and Laurie Jordan-Fenner guided the Akita.

With a few dogs barking and baying backstage, Diamond Jim was chosen out of the overall 2,628 entries in 165 breeds and varieties.

The dog, commonly called James, earned more than the silver bowl trophy—he also got to chow down. Fitzgerald said he didn't eat before the show. Once it was over, he snacked on goodies that fell on the floor.

This was his 51st Best in Show victory, and his last. He's retiring from the show world to live the life of a therapy and obedience dog. He's already worked with Alzheimer's patients.

Fitzgerald said James' win illustrated that Westminster is more than a beauty pageant for primped and pampered pooches.

"They're working dogs," she said. "He's not going to be just a couch potato."

This was the 100th time that Best in Show was presented at Westminster, and the sixth time that an English springer spaniel won.
Copyright © 2007, The Associated Press

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 12:40 PM
One more question - dog people, I hope you don't mind :)

The announcer said that two of the three poodle categories were in the Best in Show judging. They're each in a different group. I noticed that their coats were groomed the same way. Is that a special grooming they get for shows? It's so elaborate. I wonder why they're groomed that way, does it allow the judge to see characteristics of the dog better? I only know one person who has a poodle, and he came from a shelter so he's probably a random breed. She couldn't tell me why the purebred poodles are groomed in that style. Her dog just gets a basic treatment for pets at the groomer. (He still looks cute to me!)

thanks,
elyse
Per the Akc "(b) Clip-- A Poodle under 12 months may be shown in the "Puppy" clip. In all regular classes, Poodles 12 months or over must be shown in the "English Saddle" or "Continental" clip. In the Stud Dog and Brood Bitch classes and in a non-competitive Parade of Champions, Poodles may be shown in the "Sporting" clip. A Poodle shown in any other type of clip shall be disqualified".. And here is the akc link http://www.akc.org/breeds/poodle/index.cfm

cali
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
the original poodle clip was to protect vital organs, the chest part covers the rib cage, the head part covers..well the head lol the puff on the feet protect the joints, the rosetts protect the kidneys and the tail was some sort of joke or something lol the origianl though was nothing like what you see in the show ring, the orginal was not bald in any area, there was a light laying all over and the area's that were protected were just cut a little thicker. what you see in the show ring today would never in a million years hold up to working conditions, and it is purley for looks.

cassiesmom
02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Poodle Did You Know?

The denominations Standard, Miniature, and Toy are used to describe size only. All the Poodles are one breed, governed by the same standard. (I did because the commentator said that. :) )

The Toy Poodle is known for superior intelligence and exceptional learning ability. (No, I didn't!)

The Poodle clip is not merely decorative (though it may seem that way now); it is in fact a necessary clip meant to protect the joints and vital organs in cold water. (Thank you borzoimom and cali, I do now!)

The Toy Poodle achieved great popularity in France and was known worldwide as a "trick dog." They were court favorites during the reign of Louis XVI and Queen Anne. (No, I didn't!)

The Toy Poodle, like all Poodles, possesses wonderful swimming ability; the coat is adapted to water, and will cord if left to grow naturally. (Didn't know that either!)

Grover Cleveland owned a Poodle (although some reports say it was a Pekingese). (I know that many dogs have lived at the White House.)

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Interesting little facts on Westminster http://www.nbc4.com/family/10922166/detail.html
And " Dog Show 101" http://www.nbc4.com/family/10903773/detail.html and this one was good too- " Want a show dog?".. http://www.nbc4.com/family/10974927/detail.html

Freedom
02-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Hey, did any of you catch the comment re the borzoi who made it to the group level - loves his Starbucks latte!!!

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey, did any of you catch the comment re the borzoi who made it to the group level - loves his Starbucks latte!!!
Yea- and " I would like to see how tall that dog is on his back feet..." lol..(btw- Hottie is just as tall- and Zubin is a little taller..lol)

3GSDMom
02-15-2007, 06:43 PM
The show was AMAZING!

I met and photographed a lot of the dogs. Also got my picture taken with a few :D

As for the question regarding GSDs, American lines tend to have more exagerated angulation than other lines. American lines breed for looks rather than utility. They have strayed far from the original SV standard. German lines tend to stick closer to Von Stephanitz original idea of the German Shepherd. Though the German Showlines are starting to turn out like the American lines. In German Working Lines you won't find a lot of angulation (which is prefered).

Hope that made sense.

I took over 300 pictures. Expect to see pictures and video clips tomorrow! :D

cali
02-15-2007, 06:46 PM
those porr GSDs made me sad, I noticed in the video one even fell over on the go around, and the one that took BB bunny hopped the down and back. then when they were taking the pics the one had to sit, he looked like he could not hold up his rear, and that AOM winners rear legs were wobbling all over the place, they finally had to spary something on her feet to help keep them steady :( I couldnt belive those handlers and owners were actually PROUD of this :(

3GSDMom
02-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Yes, Im not fond of the American lines at all. I dont find them very appealing. That Geneva (The one that won out of the GSDs- Bred by James Moses, Kaleef dogs) is not a very pretty dog at all. A lot of people find her "stunning" but I find her quite the opposite. However, the GSD that placed second, Ch Rowland's Cezanne Of Imp-Cen, was gorgeous!. I had the pleasure of meeting him and I'm in love! :D

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Jimmy Moses is a wonderful man!!! I know him well..

3GSDMom
02-15-2007, 07:38 PM
He does seem like a good man. From what I've read. Lol. I was actually hoping to meet him, but didn't see him when I was hanging around the GSD ring.

.sarah
02-15-2007, 07:50 PM
A friend of mine's sister won BOB with her Bouviers des Flandres as well as 1st place in the group ring.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2007/photos/breed/DL91292602.jpg
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2007/photos/group/DL91292602.jpg
Ch Ace's Indelible Mark HT

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
He does seem like a good man. From what I've read. Lol. I was actually hoping to meet him, but didn't see him when I was hanging around the GSD ring.
Travis- you were seeing a show quality shepherd. They are different than your dog- sloping lay back ( the shoulder) flat muzzle like a wedge- deeper angulation with powerful hips, sloping top line for agiile back etc. Your baby is beautiful - but not show quality.. The shepherd should have the ability to just run or easily with powerful hind quarters and fluid back to clear a 6 foot or more obstacle...
I know its a different look than what you look at daily- but look at what is supposed to be in the breed- including the length of the back as a almost fluid working machine of motion.. I am sure you were quite surprised- but what you criticized is more what the breed is.. The breed has a serious form to function...

3GSDMom
02-15-2007, 09:17 PM
I am fully aware of the differences between the different lines.
I still do not care for the American Showlines. I'm more into the working dogs, the ones that stay true or as close as possible to Von Stephanitz original plan for the Ultimate working dog. These showline dogs purely breed for Looks...which makes sense because they are Show dogs. They are perfect for what they were bred for...Showing. I wasn't questioning that, I was stating facts that I have learned from numerous breeders and others who work with the breed. As well as the countless hours of research I have put into the breed.
I also know that Travis isn't show quality. Nor do I want him to be. He resembles the working lines more (though I'm not sure of his exact lines, but Im pretty sure it is a mix of different lines).
I was simply answering the question about the angulation. American lines (and sometimes German Show lines) have extreme angulation. (Though that is not the case with all Showlines ofcourse). Working lines have very little angulation.
Don't mean to start an argument or debate, just trying to clear up my post. ;)

ETA- Reread your post, The breed wasn't meant to have that extreme angulation though. No where in the original standard or any standard do I see that they were meant to be bred with that exagerated, over the top angulation.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 09:23 PM
I am fully aware of the differences between the different lines.
I still do not care for the American Showlines. I'm more into the working dogs, the ones that stay true or as close as possible to Von Stephanitz original plan for the Ultimate working dog. These showline dogs purely breed for Looks...which makes sense because they are Show dogs. They are perfect for what they were bred for...Showing. I wasn't questioning that, I was stating facts that I have learned from numerous breeders and others who work with the breed. As well as the countless hours of research I have put into the breed.
I also know that Travis isn't show quality. Nor do I want him to be. He resembles the working lines more (though I'm not sure of his exact lines, but Im pretty sure it is a mix of different lines).
I was simply answering the question about the angulation. American lines (and sometimes German Show lines) have extreme angulation. (Though that is not the case with all Showlines ofcourse). Working lines have very little angulation.
Don't mean to start an argument or debate, just trying to clear up my post. ;)

ETA- Reread your post, The breed wasn't meant to have that extreme angulation though. No where in the original standard or any standard do I see that they were meant to be bred with that exagerated, over the top angulation.
Mine were the top working lines in the US as well... Here is midas. one of the photos I have I use the most but as Dr.goodnow can tell you- tops he may be- there were many after and before him out of my lines. I had some of the top SCh111 etc and working shepherds in the country... And all looked the same...

DrKym
02-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Whoa thats Midi my BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

hehe I can call him that! he loved me! I am not going to weigh in on this thread much as
A) My only 2 shepherds were Michelles, and that was my choice as I knew and still do know many excellent breeders trainers and Handlers, (yes Jimmy Moses is one of em so are several others )
B) I still feel that a shepherd that cannot perform their function by gaining titles at both ends of their name are not worthy of breeding or showing. Both of mine did that. In spades.

Now understand this is my opinion, it isn't meant to upset or harrass anyone, because my rotties were held to the same standard. With several am/can/jap champs in my kennel, I think I did alright in that part of my life.

That being said, we all love our dogs for what ever reasons, coat colors eyes, what ever I dont care as long as they are loved, and I can say without a doubt....evey single dog here on PT is a champ in their own way to all of us.

Boy I miss the Midi boy though..............................Shell I want a copy of that pic.

Michelle years ago we won some and lost some against each other but we did have some FUN! :p

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 09:38 PM
;)
Whoa thats Midi my BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

hehe I can call him that! he loved me! I am not going to weigh in on this thread much as
A) My only 2 shepherds were Michelles, and that was my choice as I knew and still do know many excellent breeders trainers and Handlers, (yes Jimmy Moses is one of em so are several others )
B) I still feel that a shepherd that cannot perform their function by gaining titles at both ends of their name are not worthy of breeding or showing. Both of mine did that. In spades.

Now understand this is my opinion, it isn't meant to upset or harrass anyone, because my rotties were held to the same standard. With several am/can/jap champs in my kennel, I think I did alright in that part of my life.

That being said, we all love our dogs for what ever reasons, coat colors eyes, what ever I dont care as long as they are loved, and I can say without a doubt....evey single dog here on PT is a champ in their own way to all of us.

Boy I miss the Midi boy though..............................Shell I want a copy of that pic.

Michelle years ago we won some and lost some against each other but we did have some FUN! :p
I never EVER BREED a dog without titles front and back! AND YEA- WE DID HAVE FUN!!!!

3GSDMom
02-16-2007, 01:47 PM
All of the different GSD lines don't look the same though...
You can easily tell American Showlines from German Showlines and German and American Showlines from German Working Lines. You can tell the Czech lines from the other lines.

But I guess we can just agree to disagree here. I don't feel like participating in this discussion much anymore. ;)

Beautiful dog by the way.

And I do agree that a GSD that is niether Sch3 or Ch titled should NOT be bred. However, I don't believe that they need both to be bred. If it is a Working line dog, it should be Sch3. If it is a Showline dog, it should have its Ch title.

My GSD is most certainly not Show Quality or from Showlines (or atleast not fully from Showlines), he does not and never will have his Ch. title. He won't be bred (Had him neutered about a year ago). Whether or not he gets any Schutzhund titles is still a little foggy. Im not sure if Schutzhund is the path I want to take with him. Does seem nice to try. Anyway, I do agree with you on the breeding. You should not breed a dog that hasn't proven to be Show Quality (and has been titled as such) or Working Quality (and again, has been titled).

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Travis is a sweet boy- and obviously deeply loved. Its part of a breeders job to look past the loving pet- and follow the plan I talked about ..
And you are right about the different national lines and how they look.. Its strange in some ways you can know the basic lineage of a dog without even looking at the pedigree.. lol..

3GSDMom
02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Travis is a sweet boy- and obviously deeply loved. Its part of a breeders job to look past the loving pet- and follow the plan I talked about ..

Exactly ;) :D Travboy is most definetly pet quality. I couldnt ask for more in a dog. He's perfect in my eyes (perhaps I'm a bit biased.... :p ) He has proven to be quite the working/competition dog though. Guess he's making up for his lack of Show Quality LoL :p :D

Anyway, I got a bunch of Borzoi pictures for you and a video clip ;) Whenever I stop being lazy I'll post all of the Westminster pictures. :)

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Show quality or not doesnt change how we feel about our pets. Hottie isnt show quality anymore as he has a wheel back now because of his condition- would I trade him???? HECK NOOO!!!

DrKym
02-16-2007, 02:30 PM
All of the different GSD lines don't look the same though...
You can easily tell American Showlines from German Showlines and German and American Showlines from German Working Lines. You can tell the Czech lines from the other lines.

But I guess we can just agree to disagree here. I don't feel like participating in this discussion much anymore. ;)

Beautiful dog by the way.

And I do agree that a GSD that is niether Sch3 or Ch titled should NOT be bred. However, I don't believe that they need both to be bred. If it is a Working line dog, it should be Sch3. If it is a Showline dog, it should have its Ch title.

My GSD is most certainly not Show Quality or from Showlines (or atleast not fully from Showlines), he does not and never will have his Ch. title. He won't be bred (Had him neutered about a year ago). Whether or not he gets any Schutzhund titles is still a little foggy. Im not sure if Schutzhund is the path I want to take with him. Does seem nice to try. Anyway, I do agree with you on the breeding. You should not breed a dog that hasn't proven to be Show Quality (and has been titled as such) or Working Quality (and again, has been titled).

well said and btw my cocker is spayed(and from MAJOR show lines,) but when I said both ends hun I also meant CD CDx etc, I think all dogs should be more than just a "pretty pup" if the are to be bred.
If not, then I am all for my guys being just another pretty face! Ask me I have 3 that are just that! wonderful amazing PETS, nothing fancy, nothing mind blowing, just my best friends. :D

3GSDMom
02-16-2007, 02:36 PM
I wasn't meaning to say that a dog isn't any good if it isn't show quality. The internet is so hard to explain what you are trying to say sometimes LoL.

Being a person that appreciates a Working dog much more than a Showing dog, I'd be the last person to turn down a dog/re home a dog because it wasn't show quality. Show titles mean very little to me personally as I have no plans for showing or breeding. I do however have tons of working/sport competition plans for my GSD and any future GSDs.

Travis is my world. If I had wanted a Show quality pup, I would have gone to a Showline breeder. But I wanted a Working/Competition dog so I picked out my boy. :)

My statement about Travis not being show quality was my way of trying to make it clear that I wasn't basing the way GSDs should be off of the way Travis looks. I know he doesnt have the "ideal" look of a GSD. But he's got my ideal look. ;)

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I love the working shepherd too. Nothing can beat a good shepherd- nothing..

DrKym
02-16-2007, 02:38 PM
And that is ALL that matters!

3GSDMom
02-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Ofcourse :)

Have to agree with you there, a good Shepherd is the best dog. My two have made it so I'll never go without a GSD. ;) They can be so manipulative. Certainly have me brainwashed. :D

applesmom
02-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I love the working shepherd too. Nothing can beat a good shepherd- nothing..

That's certainly a highly debateable opinion! :D ;)