PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart's Ad Campaign...what do you think?

Catty1
01-07-2007, 07:26 PM
From me: Also see: http://wakeupwalmart.com/ http://walmartwatch.com/ (groups mentioned in article below)

Wal-Mart launches defensive campaign

MARCUS KABEL

Associated Press

POSTED AT 3:16 PM Sunday, January 07

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will run national television ads starting Monday praising its record as an employer and corporate citizen, taking its arguments straight to the public in an ongoing battle over its reputation with unions and other critics.

The world's largest retailer, increasingly a lightning rod for politicians as well as labour unions and other activists, cites the legacy of late founder Sam Walton in a folksy 60-second ad. A 30-second ad focuses on Wal-Mart's health insurance plans for its more than 1.3 million U.S. employees.

“It all began with a big dream in a small town, Sam Walton's dream,” a narrator says as one ad starts with a black-and-white photo of Sam Walton and a grainy shot of Walton's first five-and-dime store in what is now the chain's headquarters town of Bentonville, Ark.

“Sam's dream. Your neighbourhood Wal-Mart,” the ad ends.

Both ads recite key points Wal-Mart has been making to reporters for months about its record, but the ads now take the arguments straight to the public.

The nation's largest private employer says it creates tens of thousands of jobs a year, offers employee health plans for as little as $23 (U.S.) a month, saves “the average working family” more than $2,300 a year through its low prices and is a major contributor to local charities with donations last year totalling more than $245-million.

In a news release about the ads, Wal-Mart said a survey of its employees nationwide last summer found 88 per cent believe the company is a good corporate citizen and 81 per cent would recommend a Wal-Mart job to a friend.

Company spokesman David Tovar declined to say how much Wal-Mart is spending on the ads, which were tested last summer in Tucson, Ariz., and Omaha, Neb. They will run for an as-yet undetermined period on national broadcast and cable networks as well as in a “couple of dozen” individual markets, Mr. Tovar said.

Steven Silvers, a corporate reputation management expert with Denver-based consultancy GBSM Inc., said it was strategically smart of Wal-Mart to take its case directly to the public to counter mounting attacks.

“If they're targeted, they have to get their message out there,” Mr. Silvers said. “It's because they have become political fodder. They have to frame the discussion.”

Wal-Mart was the focus of two high-profile but unsuccessful efforts last year to legislate how it treats employees.

Maryland's Legislature passed a union-backed law that would have forced Wal-Mart to spend a fixed percentage of payroll on employee health insurance. That law was overturned by a federal court. Chicago's City Council passed an ordinance mandating higher wages at big-box retailers, but it was vetoed by Mayor Richard Daley.

Union-funded campaign groups have also recruited national Democratic figures to back their calls for higher wages and better health care at Wal-Mart, including potential 2008 presidential contender Senator Barack Obama of Illinois and declared 2008 candidate John Edwards.

WakeUpWalMart.com, a union-funded campaign group, said the ad campaign proves Wal-Mart is seeing damage to its bottom line from a worsening reputation. The retailer had its worst holiday sales season in years, WakeUpWalMart.com spokesman Chris Kofinis said.

“Wal-Mart is living in a bizarre state of denial, where no matter how bad their public reputation is, they still believe that a tired ad campaign can fool the American public into believing it is OK to exploit millions of working families,” Mr. Kofinis said.

WakeUpWalMart.com and another union-backed group, Wal-Mart Watch, claim Wal-Mart pays poverty wages, runs small businesses out of town and pushes employees onto tax-funded public health care. Wal-Mart denies those allegations.

The union groups have repeatedly run newspaper and television ads.

Wal-Mart said its ads are part of a continuing effort to show it is good for its employees and customers.

“This campaign is part of a long-term effort to inform the public about the company's positive impact on communities, including some of our core values like affordable health care, customer savings and charitable contributions,” Mr. Tovar said.

columbine
01-07-2007, 08:42 PM
The fact that A) they have to do this and B) they can afford to says it all. The parents who need to work multiple jobs and get their families' healthcare via public assistance paid for this ad campaign.

Click here to see exactly what I think. (https://www.cafepress.com/shopwalmart) (There are no swear words.)

Love, Columbine

Lady's Human
01-07-2007, 09:19 PM
WakeUpWalMart.com, a union-funded campaign group, said the ad campaign proves Wal-Mart is seeing damage to its bottom line from a worsening reputation. The retailer had its worst holiday sales season in years, WakeUpWalMart.com spokesman Chris Kofinis said.

So did almost every other retailer in the US.

I know people who work for Wal Mart. They have no complaints with their jobs or their salaries/benefits. Compared to other retailers they are at least on par.

The truckers who drive for Wal Mart in many cases leave union jobs to work for them.

Wal Mart isn't perfect, but then again, no other company is, either.

BC_MoM
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
I was employed at Wal-mart for just over 3 months and they were just amazing. I never had any beef with them. They were a great company to work for.

I have nothing negative to say about them except that they need more cashiers!! *LOL*

borzoimom
01-08-2007, 07:59 AM

I know people who work for Wal Mart. They have no complaints with their jobs or their salaries/benefits. Compared to other retailers they are at least on par.

The truckers who drive for Wal Mart in many cases leave union jobs to work for them.

I agree- here people fight over these jobs to work at our super walmart.
I am reserving comments on any union organization. Many of what they stand for, are already into federal laws, and basically- take peoples money..( and yes- that was a reserved comment..)
Prior to Wal-mart coming here, we all had to drive 35 miles for any shopping at all- paid alot money for it ( nevermind the gas to get into town), and even the other grocery store that we did have, hi jacked prices awfully high. The competition of Wal-mart put things on a more even scale. We do our shopping there every week- never a complaint- with a wonderful staff, and all appear very happy. Where else can you get moderately paying job with little if any job skills prior..

catnapper
01-08-2007, 09:17 AM
I know several people who work for Walmart in several different stores and all of them are very happy with their work, pay, and benefits. They get the same thing from Walmart as they would the local supermarket, pet store, clothing store, etc. Retail typically pays low. Its just people see how big Walmart is and they feel the need to target them.

BC_MoM
01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Minimum wage here is $7.65 and hour.
I had no experience working before, and my starting wage was $8.45 an hour.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Wal-mart actually closed it's doors rather than risk having unionized employees. What a great dream Sam had. :rolleyes:

I think it's time they were responsible and raised wages, weren't allowed to make so many workers "temp" in an effort to save themselves of getting their employees health insurance.

They are the biggest- they influence ALL retailers. Other big businesses get away with throwing peanuts to their employees, too, because of the example that Walmart is setting. Small businesses certainly can't compete with their prices. I wouldn't mind paying more to know that people were earning a decent living.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Minimum wage here is $7.65 and hour.
I had no experience working before, and my starting wage was $8.45 an hour.
Minimum wage in this country is still $5.15/hr (not in every state though, it was recently raised to $6.85 in CO). I don't know if Walmart pays that or not (I don't think they pay that low) but families cannot survive on that. Period.

Cataholic
01-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Minimum wage in this country is still $5.15/hr (not in every state though, it was recently raised to $6.85 in CO). I don't know if Walmart pays that or not (I don't think they pay that low) but families cannot survive on that. Period.

I heard this comment the other day on talk radio that made me pause. I am paraphrasing. "Minimum wage is not SUPPOSED to support families. It is a low end, entry level job rated amount of money. "

The speaker was trying to emphasize that one should go to school, complete an education, maybe live with a roommate, live at home, 'scimp' or save, THEN search for a better paying job, THEN take on debt. THEN start a family.

I had never looked at it from that perspective before.

On a side note, IMO, in general, we have grown past the purpose of unionizing.

{runs off to corner to await the fallout from that last comment}

Logan
01-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Cataholic, you are not alone in your thinking about unions. If I were a business owner and had to face a union coming into my business vs closing the doors, I think I'd close the doors, too. I've been too close to the manufacturing business, too much of my life, to think otherwise.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I heard this comment the other day on talk radio that made me pause. I am paraphrasing. "Minimum wage is not SUPPOSED to support families. It is a low end, entry level job rated amount of money. "

The speaker was trying to emphasize that one should go to school, complete an education, maybe live with a roommate, live at home, 'scimp' or save, THEN search for a better paying job, THEN take on debt. THEN start a family.

I had never looked at it from that perspective before.
I wish that everyone had the opportunity to go to college, but that won't happen. Even if you DO all of the above things, it's still hard to make it. My husband and I are both college graduates and it was tough to get jobs after college. In fact, my first job with benefits out of college was working as a janitor. We had to move 800 miles away to find a decent living, which didn't come cheap.

I didn't have the option of waiting to take on debt, either, as my parent's didn't help me pay for college. I went to a state school, finished in four years, and even had a partial scholarship, but still if I think about how much money I owe it makes me sick. And I'm getting a master's degree because a BA in psychology just doesn't cut it so I have to take on more debt.

I think that idea that people can wait till they start a family to take on debt is outdated- college is just too expensive. It's hard to support yourself, even with student loans and a college student budget, on near minimum wage.

Cataholic
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I wish that everyone had the opportunity to go to college, but that won't happen. Even if you DO all of the above things, it's still hard to make it. My husband and I are both college graduates and it was tough to get jobs after college. In fact, my first job with benefits out of college was working as a janitor. We had to move 800 miles away to find a decent living, which didn't come cheap.

I didn't have the option of waiting to take on debt, either, as my parent's didn't help me pay for college. I went to a state school, finished in four years, and even had a partial scholarship, but still if I think about how much money I owe it makes me sick. And I'm getting a master's degree because a BA in psychology just doesn't cut it so I have to take on more debt.

I think that idea that people can wait till they start a family to take on debt is outdated- college is just too expensive. It's hard to support yourself, even with student loans and a college student budget, on near minimum wage.

After reading your post, I realized I may have come off sounding elitist. I didn't mean to. For clarification, I want to re-iterate that I heard this thought process on talk radio, and it wasn't something I had considered before. However, it did sit well with me.

I did go to college, largely paid for by my parents. However, I still had about 8 grand in debt when I left. I have since paid that part off. I next incurred a significant amount of debt (think debt equal to some people's mortgage payment debt) when I went to law school. I am still paying on that, and I have been out of school 8 years. I don't roll in the cash, by anyone's definition.

I never lost sight that a college education would pay off for me. I think it has, though prolly not as much as a legal education. I don't have somethings that others have- lush home, fancy car, exotic vacation, etc. (lordie, does that even have anything to do with this? LOL). But, college was, and, IMO, still is an opportunity to most everyone.

A minimum wage job, for me, was a humble starting point, for financial, as well as emotional reasons.

Whether Wal-Mart is good or not, I can't say.

Lady's Human
01-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Not all unions are pointless. Some are, some aren't.

The Teamsters union is a prime example of one I believe whose time has passed.

They still use hardball tactics (intimidation, threats, etc) to try to unionize companies when employees are perfectly happy without union representation.

They also push for contractual items that would bankrupt companies. Case in point, St Johnsbury trucking. The owner told the union he was doing all he could just to keep people on the job, and couldn't pay any more. He also told the union that if they persisted with the contract they were pushing and went on strike, he would close the doors. That is exactly what happened, so instead of having people working for what the teamsters thought were substandard wages, they had people in the unemployment line.

One case of a union that is still needed? The US Post office. The supervision and management is inept, and that's being kind. Contrary to what BM wrote, the USPS DOES award jobs by skill. They are awarded in most cases by senior qualified, not just seniority. Having had to go to the union more than once to correct inept supervision, I shudder to think what the work environment would be like without the union.

borzoimom
01-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I disagree agree totally about the post office unions. Totally- ..

Lady's Human
01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Of course you do. You were part of the management.

Cataholic
01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
One case of a union that is still needed? The US Post office. The supervision and management is inept, and that's being kind. Contrary to what BM wrote, the USPS DOES award jobs by skill. They are awarded in most cases by senior qualified, not just seniority. Having had to go to the union more than once to correct inept supervision, I shudder to think what the work environment would be like without the union.

I don't know anything about the PO specifically, so, this isn't directed exactly at that issue. BUT, inept supervision is hardly foreign to non-union work places. AND, those workplaces still manage to carry on. I don't think a union is necessary to correct inept supervision. And, I do know some union places around here, and, from an outsider's glance, I think some of these people have jobs ONLY cause of the union protection afforded them, not cause they are stellar employees.

I have never been union. But, I have been blessed by the many achievements brought about by unionization- health care, fair pay, working conditions, labor laws in general. To that, I think I have only the union to thank.

Cataholic
01-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Of course you do. You were part of the management.

LH- I changed what I originally posted...but, that sounds kind of harsh to me. Did you mean it like that?

Randi
01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't know Walmart personally, but in Denmark we have similar stores. People working there are probably the ones paid the lowest wages (about $16 an hour), except for cleaners. However, most people here are members of Unions and I'm happy for that. When I was very young and started to work, I couldn't see the point of having to pay an amount every month to the Union, but I soon saw the benefits of the negotiation they did to fight for your rights.

Logan
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
This doesn't have anything to do with the original post (sorry), but I am curious about this statement:

And I'm getting a master's degree because a BA in psychology just doesn't cut it so I have to take on more debt.

What line of work did you hope to enter with this particular major? I think that is one of the big questions that every college student needs to consider before entering college and declaring a major. Some majors are simply not going to be in areas where there is a lot of job demand.

I am not pointing fingers, I promise, but I was just curious. I majored in Textile Management. That was a silly thing to do because after one year as a management trainee in a textile mill, I was laid off. There was no where for us to go. They laid off every person who had entered the training program when I did. I had to take a minimum wage job in a bank and work my way up in order to survive. My degree helped, but it certainly was not a ticket for me for an easy ride.

Logan

cassiesmom
01-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I think Sam Walton's intention was originally good, but his plan has not been as successful as he probably envisioned.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
After reading your post, I realized I may have come off sounding elitist. I didn't mean to. For clarification, I want to re-iterate that I heard this thought process on talk radio, and it wasn't something I had considered before. However, it did sit well with me.

I know, I just think that they didn't consider the cost of an education. In my four years in school, the tuition DOUBLED! It's really becoming unaffordable. :(

What line of work did you hope to enter with this particular major? I think that is one of the big questions that every college student needs to consider before entering college and declaring a major. Some majors are simply not going to be in areas where there is a lot of job demand.
Well, perhaps with a little more wisdom than the average 18-year-old has, I could have decided upon a more marketable major, but that's the beauty of hindsight I guess.

You hear over and over "do what you love," not "do what will get you a starting salary over $30,000/year." I actually originally went into biological anthropology but decided it would be too unmarketable and changed it to psychology, which I also enjoy. I had planned (and still want to, though perhaps in a different field) to eventually be a professor and I applied to graduate school in the field of experimental psychology after taking a year off. But, it wasn't in the cards so to speak, so I decided to pursue something that would get me a job. I love education so teaching elementary school is something I will enjoy. I just have another obstacle I guess- I don't mind the course work but the cost is something I think about. I just wish that education was more attainable for everyone.

Cataholic
01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I
You hear over and over "do what you love," not "do what will get you a starting salary over $30,000/year."

You are absolutely right. I think that sort of comment, instead of, something more real would serve our young people better. I stress to people to get a degree in something basic. Something that shows employers you are teachable, not necessarily their current dream/passion of underwater basketweaving, with an emphasis in blue twine. That can be limiting. (Not that a BS in psych is limiting).

There are things you could do with a 4 year BS in psych. Not necessarily 'practice' psychology, but, my brother has a BS in psychology, and he in in HR. I think it served him well. I think you are, rightfully so, a little down about your future. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet. But, I can sense your frustration. <imagine sympathetic hugging icon here>

Lady's Human
01-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes, I meant exactly what I said.

After seeing some of the games played by management in the PO, I would hate to see what it would be like without the union actually trying to hold them to the contract. To most postal managers, FLSA, FMLA, and HIPPA are annoying acronyms that get in the way.

There are enough national-level grievances pending arbitration with just ONE of the three postal craft unions to tie up a labor arbitration court for years. While there ARE frivolous grievances filed by the unions, the ones that reach national level are normally legit complaints.

Marigold2
01-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I have just finished reading everyones post. Many many good points made. Walmart does employ people who otherwise would not have a job. They offer products at a reasonable price. They offer healthcare. How Walmart operates is Capitalism at it's greatest. It is one of the things that make this country great. If you feel that Walmart doesn't pay people enough, don't work there. Get an education either through school or work expericence and go somewhere else. If you don't like Walmart, don't shop there. I personally think most of their stuff is low quailty, I perfer K-Mart or Target. As far as a union, look what the union did for Ford and the other auto makers. It made people greedy. It paid and paid and paid people wages that were far too high, making their cars too expensive. Yes factory workers work hard, but they shouldn't be making $25.00 an hour. They should not be paid more then police, firemen, or teachers. Education should still count for something. When the Ford workers were laid off in the 80's many of them couldn't read or write past an 8th grade level, yet they were making $50.000 a year. There was no way they could find a job anywhere that paid them as much. Many lost their homes. Some couldn't even fill out a job application, they had no skills. They didn't care about school because hey they were gonna work at Ford and make big bucks, who needs schooling? It was a rude awakening. Factory work should not be a lifetime employment. It should be short term until once gathers skills. Be it as a plumber, carpenter, cook. At least one is trained, one has a skill. And most important people need to be educated. Education is the key.

BC_MoM
01-09-2007, 10:40 AM
If you feel that Walmart doesn't pay people enough, don't work there. Get an education either through school or work expericence and go somewhere else. If you don't like Walmart, don't shop there.

Hehe! I agree.. people complain all the time.. if they're not happy with it, then don't go to it!!

borzoimom
01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
GM recently closed a series of plants, including the one near by in West Virginia. Those employees made over 30-35 dollars a hour- now unless they had the time to retire- they were given the option to move to another plant- but who wants to relocated their family into another state- and the ones without time in to retire- well.. They are looking for other jobs. .. And I guarrentee you there isnt another factory that could support such a salary around here.. The reason- it wasnt cost effective to GM to keep the plant opened.

Marigold2
01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
It is a shame that people are losing their jobs. But being paid $30.00 to $35.00 an hour is way too much for their skill level. If they hadn't been so greedy the plant might not have to close. I wish them all well. Hopefully the American people are learning a very hard lesson.

Maresche
01-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Personally, I don't like Walmart for a lot of reasons. I don't set foot in their stores unless 1) I'm redeeming one of their GC I got as a gift or 2) I'm buying a GC to give to someone else. Several members of my family like shopping there and my brother works there in the auto dept.

If you like shopping there, continue. If you don't, don't. If the Cons of Walmart outnumber the Pros, it will, eventually, go under.

borzoimom
01-09-2007, 02:17 PM
"The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva."...
I am rolling on the floor- this reminds me of Zubin and then galina.. lol..

Edwina's Secretary
01-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Disclaimer...I don't shop at Walmart...I don't like how they treat their employees or their vendors. They bring you lower prices on the backs of the American worker. Some day soon Americans will be selling each other hamburgers and real estate...and oh yeah...working for Walmart. (Seen their new plan for scheduling....based on how many people are in the store? Scheduled to work...too bad...not enough people in the aisles!) All other jobs will be in China.

Meanwhile...not everyone is college material.

And unions. I have worked in union avoidance. I try not to accept that kind of work these days...it is exhausting and too emotional and I am too old for all that. I have battled...and negotiated with the Teamsters, the Machinist, the IBEW.

Do you know that no vacation, holidays, sick time or even meal or break time is required by federal law? (some states have laws on breaks and meals.....NO state has laws on holidays or vacation.) If you get any of those, thank a union.

With that said....in general, most employers are more interested in happy workers than was the case when the NLRA passed in 1936. Today, if an employer gets a union...they deserve it. Less than 8% of American workers today belong to a union. The number one reason employees are interested in joining a union....it is the supervisor... it is supervisors playing favorites, not treating emplyees equitably.

And LH...wouldn't it be nice if the employees of Walmart had the same opportunity for filing grievances as employees at USPS? There are plenty of class action suits pending against Watmart as well.

Catty1
01-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Although we have more jobs than people to fill them in Canada, I know that, in many cases, getting a better education does not guarantee good-paying work.

In Alberta, wages have not kept pace with housing costs....fully 60% of our "homeless" people are working up to 3 jobs, and have post-secondary ed or apprenticeships...but can't afford rent deposits and the first/last month's rent that landlords often require.

I think it is GOOD to have, in that it shows you finished something you started...but the cliche that an education guarantees good pay, particularly right away with no experience, is a myth that needs to be quashed. My opinion only.

Cataholic
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I know that, in many cases, getting a better education does not guarantee good-paying work.

I think it is GOOD to have, in that it shows you finished something you started...but the cliche that an education guarantees good pay, particularly right away with no experience, is a myth that needs to be quashed. My opinion only.

A college education is, IMO, the best foundation in which to enter the work force. It does not guarantee you a good paying job, anymore than not having one guarantees you a poor paying job. As a betting woman? I would take the risk, and go with a college education any day of the week.

An education was never thought to guarantee you a good paying job. It was to broaden your horizons, open your mind, show your ability to learn a field, or, put off entering the workforce. It is, in many instances, a bare minimum for advancement into supervisory/management positions.

Meanwhile...not everyone is college material.

What does this really mean? That the person can't read? Can't follow a course? Can't sit still for a long lecture? Can't learn new, perhaps boring, things?

I struggle with accepting this comment. I know we say it. But, if you break it down, I can't follow its conclusory "logic". I think we use it to give passes to people that we don't have faith in. When I hear of personal successes of people, that have gone on to achieve higher education (and, I am not talking strictly a four year program), I can't believe that not everyone is college material.

I will always think that a college education is the best foundation for those entering the work force. (I am presuming that people entering the work force are not content on making minimum wage forever.)

Lady's Human
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
There are many jobs which don't require college, but they pay well.
Most traditional trades (carpentry, mechanics, machinists etc.) can be learned through on the job training. While tech schools are available to teach trades, they are not always mandatory. Were I hiring someone for a technical skill or a traditional trade, I would take someone with work experience over someone newly out of college or trade school.

An example of someone who couldn't do well in college? Me. However, I have experience and training (a combination of military training and self-education) which allow me to earn enough to pay the bills for my family and then some.

BTW, skilled craftsmen are well paid.

Sevaede
01-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I agree with Cataholic and Pembroke. :)

I am trying to go to school to be a vet tech, and then a vet, and trying to help support us on 5.15 an hour just isn't cutting it. :(

Marigold,
Wal Mart emplys people who otherwise would not have a job? Yeah, that's pretty much what ALL employers do.

I do not shop at Wal Mart having learned things about them. My husband does not agree with the fact that they are taking away potential jobs for people by putting in those automatic checkers (where you just scan and check your groceries yourself). We also do not agre with other things.

I don't complain about it but I don't shop there. I have found that the quality of things there is not that *great* anyways (regardless of how I feel about them, yes). :)

sparks19
01-10-2007, 06:00 PM

LOL I was gonna say the same thing.

Walmart isn't the only BIG WIG company that pays minimum wage. McDonalds for one. Plenty of "family" people have to work at McDonalds and they don't pay any better.

I worked for Walmart and they treated me great and I had no complaints.

You show me a big name company like Walmart and McDonalds that pays high wages and top notch health benefits.

My local Grocery store has self check out scanners as well. Should I boycott them too? Where should I shop?

yes other jobs hire people that are o ut of work but if Walmart is so bad then why does anyone work there if everyone is handing out jobs to people who have none? I would say working at Walmart is better than nothing ;)

for crying out loud, look at tim Hortons (Canadian coffee shop) It is almost a RELIGION in Canada. They make so much bank it's insane. You know how much I made when i worked there? Minimum wage. They treated me like crap. I got two fifteen minute breaks and the rest of the time I barely had time to get a drink of water or pee.

lizbud
01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
What does this really mean? That the person can't read? Can't follow a course? Can't sit still for a long lecture? Can't learn new, perhaps boring, things?

I struggle with accepting this comment. I know we say it. But, if you break it down, I can't follow its conclusory "logic". I think we use it to give passes to people that we don't have faith in. When I hear of personal successes of people, that have gone on to achieve higher education (and, I am not talking strictly a four year program), I can't believe that not everyone is college material.

I think someone who cannot commit to going to school through four years
while makeing good grades (enough to pass the courses) are not college
material. You have to commit for the long haul & there are not that many
people willing to do it.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-10-2007, 06:20 PM
You show me a big name company like Walmart and McDonalds that pays high wages and top notch health benefits.

Many companies take their cues from places like Walmart, who is so big they practically own the industry. If they don't provide healthcare, etc, then the other places won't either. If Walmart improved their employee benefits other companies would be pressured to follow suit.

Lady's Human
01-10-2007, 06:22 PM
PC< if you read the original post, or talked to people who work at wal mart, they DO offer benefits, including health care. It ain't great, but it's better than welfare.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-10-2007, 06:36 PM
PC< if you read the original post, or talked to people who work at wal mart, they DO offer benefits, including health care. It ain't great, but it's better than welfare.
I know that some people get benefits, but what about all the countless "temps" or people they hire only part time? I know at quite a few retail establishments there is schedule fixing to make sure people don't qualify for insurance.

Lady's Human
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Wal Mart offers benefits to all employees, full or part time, according to their website.

Edwina's Secretary
01-10-2007, 07:02 PM

I rest my case. Corporate America is hamburgers and discount chains to others...forget GE, Boeing, IBM, Microsoft, Cisco, Cummins, Citicorp...etc....etc

Edwina's Secretary
01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I know that some people get benefits, but what about all the countless "temps" or people they hire only part time? I know at quite a few retail establishments there is schedule fixing to make sure people don't qualify for insurance.

What Walmart does often is subcontract work. That is how they avoid responsibility. Example....the people who were cleaning the stores...the ones who were being paid $2.50 per hour? Walmart skated on it as they were employed by a subcontractor.

IRescue452
01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
A business is a business. If you don't like it don't patronize it. I love walmart. I go there all the time. Not for the low prices (I don't see much difference) but because they carry so many items. I also like Apet Inc. who supplies Wisconsin walmarts with nice quality fish, but that's a whole new can of worms.

critter crazy
01-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Walmart right now is going through a huge change, as far as employees go. First off they are requiring uniforms for teir employees, that was supposed to start jan 1 2007. The uniform will be blue shirt, khaki pants. Pretty much just like target. They are also changing the Dept. Manager scheduling. instead of dept. mngr. working mon-fri, they are now requiring them to work a swing shift, ie. working different hours and diff. days of the week. Also they are trying to remove all full time employees, and making them part time. ie, only working 34 hours a week as oppossed to 40.

i used to work at Wal-mart years ago, and I was a dept mangaer, as a dept. mngr. I only made 50cents and hour more than your average employee. If you wangted to make any money, you ad to be asst. mngr, but then you would get shifted from store to store. The benefits were good, but the pay itself was not. in my opinion. I know many people who styill work there, and they are not happy with all these new changes.

Sevaede
01-10-2007, 09:48 PM
LOL I was gonna say the same thing.

Walmart isn't the only BIG WIG company that pays minimum wage. McDonalds for one. Plenty of "family" people have to work at McDonalds and they don't pay any better.

I worked for Walmart and they treated me great and I had no complaints.

My local Grocery store has self check out scanners as well. Should I boycott them too? Where should I shop?

yes other jobs hire people that are o ut of work but if Walmart is so bad then why does anyone work there if everyone is handing out jobs to people who have none? I would say working at Walmart is better than nothing ;)

for crying out loud, look at tim Hortons (Canadian coffee shop) It is almost a RELIGION in Canada. They make so much bank it's insane. You know how much I made when i worked there? Minimum wage. They treated me like crap. I got two fifteen minute breaks and the rest of the time I barely had time to get a drink of water or pee.

I understand what you mean! I am on the fence about the scanners. I don't really know if it cuts jobs or just adds more convenience or whatnot. At any rate, I prefer to have a person checking me out because I scanned something twice on accident and it was such a pain to fix! lol :D

Yep, working somewhere is always better than working nowhere! (*smacks own hand* bad grammar!) :D

I had the same experience with Subway. It was definitely the worst place I've had employment.