PDA

View Full Version : Begging

NicoleLJ
01-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I wrote another training article over the holidays. It is titled "Oh Please Can I Have Some?! ©" It is about teaching dogs not to beg during meals or snack times. Here is the link if you want to take a look. http://giftofgracekennels.com/id55.html

I already have one magazine that has accepted it. So that will make four articles I have written that are published. Some of them mulitple times. I am really thinking that I might start looking more seriously into training and writing. I didn't think I would get such great results from magazines. I don't mean to brag. I am just feeling good about it is all.
Nicole

borzoimom
01-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Thats great- you should send it to the AKC magazine- Family dog as well...

elizabethann
01-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Congratulations on such a wonderful achievment.

vinjashira
01-07-2007, 05:22 PM
That is brilliant. Congratulations on your publication.

I did basicly the same thing with my dog Snowy with a little bit of variation.

I used to ignore Snowy when she begged for food when she was a puppy. And because she learned that she never got anything for begging she no longer begged, in fact, she just ignored me when I ate which I thought was brilliant. But then I found that when I took her to a dog friendly pub to have a meal (my meal not hers, obviously :p ), she was more interested in wandering around the pub rather than staying near me. From then on, I no longer wanted her to ignore me when I'm having my dinner :D

I thought I should use another strategy. I started giving her vegetables (she loves them) from my plate as I ate. I still ignored her when she begged but when she sit prettty I gave her some vegetables. I made her wait longer and longer for her vegetables and in the end she watited until I finished my dinner before she gets her vegetables and yes she sits pretty the whole time.. well most of the time anyway :p

Snowy also gets her meal after I've finished mine. So now she knows that if she sits prety near me when I'm having my dinner she will get something at the end. And yes, it works in the pub too. Brilliant!

applesmom
01-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Congratulations Nicole! There was a time when I'd rather write than sleep! ;)

Do you get the Writers Digest? It provides information on all of the publications, contact information, writers guidelines, and the types of article they want. It's a fantastic tool for writers.

The more you get published the easier it will be to be accepted by other magazines.

Keep up the good work.

NicoleLJ
01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks all.

No I don't get the writer's digest. never heard of it. If you can give me any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Nicole

applesmom
01-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks all.

No I don't get the writer's digest. never heard of it. If you can give me any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Nicole

Here's a link to their website. Writers Digest (http://www.writersdigest.com/) You can get a free copy of the magazine to see how you like it. Their book club is fabulous. You can get most of the books really cheap.

Wow! I just discovered that the book I was talking about "Writers Market" that is published by Writers Digest is now available online with lots of free perks. Take a look at what they offer here. Writers Market (http://www.writersmarket.com/)

Writers Market is published annually and loaded with information. Now that it's online it's probably updated constantly. It would be the best money you ever spent! At least it was for me.

Honest; I don't work for Writers Digest! They worked for me and kept me from making lots of new writer blunders! :D