PDA

View Full Version : I had a terrible evening last night.. is there a good way to euthenize a pet at home?

Goochina & Goochissimo
06-20-2002, 10:41 AM
About 8:00 p.m. last night... there is a knock at the door. I answer, and it is my neighbor who has obviously been crying and has black streaks all down her face. She says, "Is Matt here? I need him." So, he and I go outside, and she says she needs his help -- Pookie is dying.

Pookie is her peekapoo that she's had for the last 10 years, from the day he was born. She still has the momma dog too, who is like 16 years old. He was very lethargic and wouldn't eat when she left for work this morning, and by the time she got home he was lying on the kitchen floor in seizures. His eyes were glazed over, and all his legs were totally stiff. He was vomiting up bile in his mouth, and his jaw was locked shut. His tongue was all swollen up in there too. Poor thing, just kept laying there convulsing for 2 hours and she was so miserable.

She had called a 24-hour vet, who told her they wanted a $500 deposit and they'd go from there, but you could look at him and see he wasn't going to make it. She didn't have the money anyway. They wanted $225 just to put him to sleep.

She wanted us to help her euthenize the dog, but we couldn't think of a good way to do it. [We considered several options] (Karen's edit) So we stood there trying to come up with a plan for over an hour while he suffered. Finally, he took his last breath and died.

It was the most horrible thing to watch, and we didn't know what to do to help him. Poor little Pookie. After that, dh dug a hole for her in the back yard and we buried him, wrapped in several plastic bags.

How will I ever deal with it if something like that happens to my dog???? Last night was a terrible night.

aly
06-20-2002, 10:54 AM
This was a bit hard for me to read :(

I really think the absolute best thing is to save money in an emergency fund, even if its just enough to have the vet humanely euthanize the dog.

:(

06-20-2002, 10:56 AM
:eek: what a terrible thing ..... I hope I never ever have to watch an animal dying like this .... . Was there no other vet available ??? If a thing like this would happen to me , I would drive to my own doctor ... of course , that is NOT a vet ; but I am sure he would help me out . So , that is my advise to you !
Take care , and be sure to comfort your neighbour , she must be so devastated ........:( :(

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

sammi
06-20-2002, 11:16 AM
So sorry you had to go through the pain of watching a animal suffering. The dog may have been past the point of feeling pain. I can't believe a vet would charge that much! My vet asks for a $10 - 25 donation (for the stray kitten fund). If you can't get to a vet all you can do is try to make the animal as comfortable as possible. Now is the time for you to locate resourses if ever needed - contact a rescue group, your local humane society or a vet office and ask questions as I am sure someone would be helpful. Like Aly, said have a emergency fund - it might be hard to do but its part of your pet responsiblity.

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Oh my. Just like Aly said, that was so dificult for me to read. It breaks my heart and has brought tears to my eyes.

I am glad that Pookie is no longer suffering, but the thought of you guys trying to euthanize him yourself is just horrible. I know I wouldn't be able to euthanize an animal.

An emergency fund is a great idea for a situation like that. And what kind of vet does she have anyway? If he truley cared about animals, he would have told him to bring Pookie and dealt with the finances later. A payment plan could have been arranged.

ramanth
06-20-2002, 11:29 AM
I'm sooo very sorry you had to witness that. My first cat Sable was so ill with his cancer he couldn't move. All he could do was lay there and cry. I can still hear his cries both in the house and all the way to the vet..... :( :( :(

Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Oh my. Just like Aly said, that was so dificult for me to read. It breaks my heart and has brought tears to my eyes.

I am glad that Pookie is no longer suffering, but the thought of you guys trying to euthanize him yourself is just horrible. I know I wouldn't be able to put him in a tub, garage, or shot him.

An emergency fund is a great idea for a situation like that. And what kind of vet does she have anyway? If he truley cared about animals, he would have told him to bring Pookie and dealt with the finances later. A payment plan could have been arranged.

Aly and Souraya are right. I would never try to euthanize my dog myself. More for the fact that I COULDN'T do it, but you also have to think of the legal ramifications. Even though YOU know your dog was dying and suffering.. if anyone found out, there may be a chance they charge you with animal cruelty. Especially if firearms were involved.

I would definately save up money for the vet to do it. And price now with vets. Like sammi, our vet just takes a donation.

jennifert
06-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Poor Pookie. I'm glad he is out of his misery now. An emergency fund is probably the best idea. But what's wrong with Visa/MasterCard for situations such as this? That is what credit cards are for isn't it...emergencies?

senoritaamy2001
06-20-2002, 12:30 PM
I am so sorry for you and your neighbor having to go through this. I agree with some of the other pettalkers though, I could absolutly never kill my own pet-even if I knew he/she would die. I belive that the vet is the only humane way to do it. I cant believe your vet was going to charge you that much up front. The vets around here will compromise with you about $$, most of the time, or make a payment plan. Again, I am soooo sorry for you both. I will keep you in my prayers through this hard time!

Karen
06-20-2002, 12:30 PM
I don't think anyone should ever try to euthanize at home. That vet was out of line, asking so much money just to end a beloved dog's suffering, but I am glad the pooch died at home - the best he could have hoped for.

In the future, I would not even consider "home euthanizing" were I you. I would just comfort the owner, and the animal.

I would also never patronize that vet again. That was heartless of him/her, and I would not want a heartless person touching my animal. I'd tell everyone I knew, too, not to patronize that person.

I am now going to edit your post, Goochina & Goochissimo, so people don't have to read the different ways you thought of, it's too sad. I'm sorry you had to go through it, too.

I would also call around to various animal clinics and ask their fee for that service, in case you - or your neighbor, ever need it again.

Goochina & Goochissimo
06-20-2002, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Believe me, I was just as disturbed as any of you. It was so horrible to watch, and we just wanted to help him. I know taking your pet's life is hard, but so is watching him suffer. It was her pet, so I was trying to leave the decision to her. I hope you all understand and don't think I am cruel.

She goes to a terrible vet, I agree. But it was in the evening and they were closed. They would only refer her to the 24 hour vet, who made the expensive demands. We tried calling our vet, who was also closed, but the people on call (techs, not vets) said he was out of town until Monday and to refer emergency visits to the same 24 hour vet. We asked them if there was anything humane, and they couldn't think of anything either.

It was a terrible situation, I am so sorry to burden anyone with it. Please don't think we are cruel or heartless, we were only trying to HELP him not to suffer. I agree that one should have a pet fund for these emergencies, but she is a single mom and just didn't plan for it. I wish dh and I had the money to give her, but we couldn't.

senoritaamy2001
06-20-2002, 02:30 PM
I dont think youre cruel, I know it was terribly hard to go through. I understand you were trying to stop him from suffering, and being caught up in the moment, you felt helpless. But in the future just find another vet or have some money put aside to do it the right way.

ramanth
06-20-2002, 02:37 PM
I know you're not cruel. Just someone that was desperate to ease the suffering of a pooch.

But I understand what you mean about the 24 hour vet. Here, if there is an emergency that is after hours, most of the Vets in the Lansing area will have you call the MSU Vet clinic. MSU is sooo far away (yes it's 45 minutes away, but still.. you have to call them and then get there and that can make the 45 minutes seem like an eternity, especially if it's life threatening) and I have no idea how much they charge.

I think these After Hour clinics are taking advantage of pet owners.... :mad:

Karen
06-20-2002, 05:29 PM
In fairness, the after-hour clinics are probably hard to staff, people who work over-night get paid more because of that. I think that one was still awful, but they're not all like that. Miss Hoppy broke her leg, badly, at 11:30 on a Monday night, so we ended up at the all-night vet. The people there were kind, competent (you try catching a bunny mid-ear when she leaps off the table as soon as I opened her carrier door) and gentle with a scared-and-in-pain and so grumpy (yes, she either bit, or tried to bite everyone involved who was not me) bunny. And it didn't cost us much more than it would have for the regular vet. I know for sure because they had to sedate her, x-ray and change her cast 4 more times! in the ensuing months, because she kept standing and hopping on the broken leg, so would rebreak it as it was beginning to heal EVERY time! Sigh.

I'd still call around, you may find a vet who would make an emergency house-call in that situation, or a clinic/vet school who would do the job far cheaper. Best to know BEFORE you or your neighbor ever needs it again!

Lando
06-20-2002, 05:37 PM
I really think the absolute best thing is to save money in an emergency fund, even if its just enough to have the vet humanely euthanize the dog.

It must have been terrible! I think you should what Aly said in the future!

lizbud
06-20-2002, 06:31 PM
I read this post early this morning (pre-edit) and must
say that this was the most gruesome & macabre first
person account of a horrible situation I've ever read here
on Pet Talk. Imagining that there is such a thing as home
euthanasia, is unreal and very sad.:(

R.I.P. Pookie...:(

anna_66
06-20-2002, 08:59 PM
I just now got to read this post. I agree with everyone else, worry about the cost later. A responsible pet owner has to do this (and if you can't, you really don't need to own a pet). When Keisha was dying, I couldn't have cared less about the $$$, all I wanted was for her to be ok, which she wasn't, but at least I did all I could to make her comfortable. And no, I don't think your heartless, I guess I really don't understand the owners. I guess some people just feel differently about their pets than others do. I personally could have never let my dog lay there and die without trying to do something.