PDA

View Full Version : Can you Afford a Pets Injury?

Argranade
01-06-2007, 02:23 PM
I was just woundering ... God forbid any of this to happen but,

If your pet got hurt badly REALY bad just this minute would you have enough to take it to the vet or avairy hospital? and would you be able to pay at least $1700 if lets say your dog had a realy bad injury, and only great vets can do this operation but they cost ALOT like around one hundred seven thousand bucks!

And if the surgery was not done on that day there would be a good chance your pet might not make it

Please don't answer if you feel you don't want to but I'm just woundering.

critter crazy
01-06-2007, 02:24 PM
It realy dosent matter if i had the money at the time or not, we would get it, even if we had to go into debt!! They are our family, and will be treated as such!:)

Miss Z
01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I suppose this type of thing applies more to cats and dogs, but supposing we had a dog or cat I think we could cover it OK.

JenBKR
01-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I would be begging to work out a payment arrangement, borrow from someone, anything I had to do. But no, I could not write out a $1700 check for the vet if that's what you're asking.

Kfamr
01-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure we could afford it somehow, but if we had to go in debt for one of our dogs, we would.

I would sell all of my belongings if I had to.

Uabassoon
01-06-2007, 03:42 PM
It would be rough, but I could do it. I would either max out my credit card or empty out my savings account.

areias
01-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Yes. I could (and have) come up with about $400-$500 alone...usually enough for a deposit on that day, and then I go to credit cards, mom, relatives, and bye bye $1000 laptop. Although if it was something outrageous like $5000, there wouldn't be any way. Over a gradual period of time, yes, if that was what it cost, but not all on one day.

chocolatepuppy
01-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I've already came up with big bucks for my pets. Be it credit cards, cleaning out my 401K, borrowing from family if I had to, my pets will get the care they need.
I've not had expensive 'life threatening' vet bills at this point, but the same goes for that.
One thing for sure, we aren't taking anything with us when we go. My pets life and health are more important than material wealth.

katrina
01-06-2007, 05:08 PM
i can atm as i am still covered for 6 wks free insurance with my new pup Roly, but after that i dont know! :( all just get him insurered when it runs out so he will be covered!

xcolbi
01-06-2007, 05:22 PM
If right at this moment Colbi were to get injured badly, I'm not sure we could pay $1700 for the vet. :( My dad just lost his job ( :mad: ), but if he got it back, we could most likely afford it.

Glacier
01-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Yup, I have a credit card that I keep for vet emergencies and a savings account that is only for vet bills. I've already done it a few times. Pete's illness and surgery bills totalled over 4 grand. Preachers' final bill was just under 1300. Stuart paid that bill. It was my Christmas present from him. I would have paid many times that amount without hesitation if it meant I could have brought Preacher home, not just his ashes.

lizbud
01-06-2007, 06:29 PM
That's a lot of "ifs" but I would never say never. I have covered the
unexpected before & I'd do it again if needed.

Alasse
01-06-2007, 06:42 PM
My vet permits payment arrangements...so all is good (if he didnt i'd find one that does :) )

Twisterdog
01-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Yes, I have plenty of plastic money.

Or, my vet takes payments. He better - I always tease him that I've bought him a new truck by now!

BC_MoM
01-06-2007, 11:53 PM
No, probably not. I don't think many people can. But I know my parents and I wouldn't let that stop us from seeking help for our dogs.

Thankfully, our vet does payment plans and is VERY understanding.

CathyBogart
01-07-2007, 12:11 AM
No, but I would beg, borrow, or steal to get it. Most likely I would take out a bank loan and then pay it off by selling my stuff. Usually I have more set aside, but our bout with giardia recently was costly, then the holidays came. :(

lute
01-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I have a direct deposit from my job into my checking account. I don't touch the account unless i need something for the dogs or just incase the unthinkable happends. If i need gas money or anything my parents give it to me. I know, that's not real responsible, but i help them when they need it too.

moosmom
01-07-2007, 10:36 AM
I voted "Other". While I cannot afford an injury to one of my pets I would move heaven and earth to make sure my pet was taken care of, even if it meant hocking a piece of family jewelry to do it. I also have a wonderful vet that will allow making payments in order to make my pets well.

Taz_Zoee
01-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Thank goodness for credit!! :D

Chilli
01-07-2007, 03:13 PM
We have a big sum of money set aside just for pet emergencys. Its acted as a lifesaver over the years.

And aside from that, both of the vets we go to (as in our dog/cat vet and the avian/exotic vet) accept payment plans and are completely understanding. =]

Suki Wingy
01-07-2007, 04:58 PM
I would put myself in debt to cover it.

cali
01-07-2007, 05:39 PM
sort of. we have lots of money in the morgage, its for doing renos on the house so we can eventually sell, but as long as I pay the money back into the account when I have it, we can use the money. I actually had that situation come up when Ripley was unable to walk, I had no actuall money, aside from the x-mas bonus I had just received and that was only $100. Ripley needed x-rays and medication and there was a slight possabilty of needing surgery. my mom paid from the morgage money, and I had to put that money back in this month. BUT I also have my boss if I ever need serious help, she told me that if one of my guys needs surgery that I cannot afford just let her know, because she has a lot of money set aside in her bank account that even her husband does not know about, and said she would be more then willing to help as she knows how much I love my babys :)

mike001
01-07-2007, 05:58 PM
We always make sure we have an account that is specifically for the dogs. So far, we have been very lucky, but if the need arose, we would find the money somewhere, our dogs care would never be neglected.

joycenalex
01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
in october 2003 alex the wonder dog had a case of aspiration pneumonia . he spent 2 nights in icu at osu vet hospital hooked up to ivs. i borrowed money and did without a lot as i repaid the loan of $1400. this past summer mojo had a bladder stone removed, final bill $1000. my vet cut me slack, let me make payments. i worked overtime, but paid it off in 2 months.
it hurt, but as long as i can stand up and work, the furries get good care.

Catlady711
01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I can usually cover up to about $500 without trouble. Dusty once had aspiration pnemonia and wracked up over $400. Anything over that I would have to seriously consider the pros and cons of treatment, sucess rate of treatment, pets age/health, and quality of life issues. Although I'm fortunate that I get discounts where I work so that helps anyways.

cmayer31
01-10-2007, 01:05 AM
I have plastic money for emergency use only. I would do anything that I could to make sure that any of my pets had the proper care. I also have a cousin a few hours away that is a vet and has his own practice. I don't use him as my regular vet, but in an emergency I would not hesitate to contact him for help.

areias
01-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Just to add-I'm looking to get another job, and although eventually I will quit my current job (pizza delivery) I will hold onto it for a little while to pay for impending vet bills. LOL I think I love my animals more than I love myself.

pitc9
01-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Yes!!
Credit cards are for Emergencies!

Kalei
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't have a dog, but if something happened to my cat and it costed that much I probably could never afford unless I somehow bummed money from the bank or something, if something was a 1000 or lower I could probably afford it, I would try to do anything for my cat and my rabbit.

Husky15
01-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, I don't have any money cause I don't work yet, but if anything happened to CC I'm sure my parents would do all they could. Same with Belle.

inlovewithanimals
08-26-2007, 06:21 PM
me and my amily wpould come up with the money some way i meen we know pets are not cheap and we consider them family! And we would treat them just like humans.

Justin

Jessika
08-26-2007, 06:48 PM
I probably would not have the money up front, but believe me, if my pets needed any emergency medical attention, the money WOULD be there, whether it be donated from friends or family or I had to work my butt off for it, it WOULD be there. I have too many friends and family that think of my dogs as their "neices/nephews" and "godpups" for any emergency not to be taken care of.

I know that's bad, but as this point in my life our savings is very minimum; Shoot I don't even have medical insurance or money to cover my OWN emergencies... but I KNOW we will be taken care of. If nothing else, God will provide.

luvofallhorses
08-26-2007, 07:34 PM
yes, we would find a way to pay for the medical bill. :) Luckily, our vet lets us make payments.

columbine
08-26-2007, 07:48 PM
"Afford?" I have credit, I could just sacrifice my future. "Afford" doesn't mean much.

G535
08-26-2007, 07:54 PM
I've been in debt most of my working life for animals, mostly horses and cats.

Now it's only one cat and my vet takes payments and I have an emergency credit card.

Kalei
08-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I would be able to afford it with the help of visa and debt, but no matter what I could come up with it and just have to pay the debt off later.

Ginger's Mom
08-27-2007, 11:23 AM
I have used plastic money in the past for $1000 in pet medical bills (to try to save my RB girl), it took several years to pay back. And I would not hesitate for a second to do the same thing again. It is definitely worth it.

MONITORLUVR
08-27-2007, 01:00 PM
i spent over 3000.00 trying to save my savanna monitor thorn she had a leaky heart valve. reptile vet visits just for the vet to look at them start at 75.00 and up. and then finding someone that knows what there doing not easy. you dog and cat owners are lucky you can take them anywhere. as for affording to take them i'm lucky to have found a good vet that takes payments.