PDA

View Full Version : does it ever bother you?

coco-bean
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
does it ever bother you when people call your dogs boy or girl...when it's the opposite sex that they are calling it?
i have cainan wearing a green collar with a green leash and corona and coco where pink and pink...but for some reason no matter where we go everyone is always calling cainan the girl and coco the boy...and corona is just "so adorable" that she doesnt have a sex when people give her attention!it drives me crazy that even though the colors of collar and leash are VERY different, people still call coco a boy and cainan a girl! Grr... :mad: does anyone else bothered when this happeneds?

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 12:36 PM
People, because of Hotties color, call him a female all the time- uhh he has a males coat?? and uh a few other parts.. lol. I have told it is because of his face- well he looks masculine to me... :confused:

chocolatepuppy
01-06-2007, 12:37 PM
People always think Lacey is a boy, I guess I do get upset because it's all the time. I try to remember though, I have female dogs and cats and tend to think of all dogs and cats as females. When I had my RB Corey, a male dog, I tended to think of all dogs as male. ;)

coco-bean
01-06-2007, 12:38 PM
People, because of Hotties color, call him a female all the time- uhh he has a males coat?? and uh a few other parts.. lol. I have told it is because of his face- well he looks masculine to me... :confused:

haha, its just odd to me especially will cainan because of his male "part" that is only VERY obvious to see when he is walking, just because he's an inch or two shorter than coco doesnt mean that he's a girl! Just irritating i suppose!

lute
01-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Everyone calles Beanie a girl and Gracie a boy. Mom says Beanie is too pretty to be a boy. :rolleyes: it doesn't really bother me really. sometimes I don't even tell them any different because when they figure out their names they know.

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 12:41 PM
haha, its just odd to me especially will cainan because of his male "part" that is only VERY obvious to see when he is walking, just because he's an inch or two shorter than coco doesnt mean that he's a girl! Just irritating i suppose!
I mean look at the coat difference in the last photos attached of the stack with hottie- then look at femka or galina- I mean a adult mature males coat is obvious to me... Its much longer etc..

Uabassoon
01-06-2007, 12:45 PM
For some reason I've never really cared. It's not like with people where usually you can tell from far away if someone is male or female. I honestly think that Payson wouldn't be offended if someone called him a she, as long as they were petting him and telling him that he's beautiful he could care less what he is called!

Kfamr
01-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Everyone calls Mufasa a girl - when you can clearly see his "thing." :o
Kiara is often called a boy, although she always has pink or purple collars.
People mistake Nala for a boy, I suppose because of her size?
Simba is never mistaken - he's 100% handsome male!

It doesn't bother me that much, I just correct them politely, and they usually never make the mistake again.

Taz_Zoee
01-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Usually people ask if it's a boy or a girl. But with Zoee they know when they hear her name. And I personally think Zoee just looks girly. :p

DrKym
01-06-2007, 01:12 PM
I agree with the comment that it really doesn't bother me much, all my furbrats wear purple, it goes so beautifully with both sets of coat colors!.
Sequoia is a bit thicker and heavier than Rusty they assume she is the male for about 30 seconds. Then she sits to be pet, and they surreptitiously check ;) . Rusty is such a soft boy I don't think it bugs him , cause he is a Mama dog to the max anyway(if it's small ,furry or squeaking it's going to be adopted cleaned and loved is his motto) Goofy is small for a cocker anyhow so she is usually guessed right. I myself am used to making the mistake as I tend to assume they are all girls, so now I just ask them while petting (so their human can answer and spare me embarrasment ) "You are such a darling baby! what is your name honey pat pat pat are you you a good boy for mom or a great girl ? patpatpaptpatpat" Usually the owner will reply which it is. :p
Btw Bmom don't care if Hottie is a boy, he is still a beautiful baby! (i thought he was a girl too in the head shot in siggie :( :eek: )

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Its his coloring and eye liner black under his eye- but allll boy! lol.. Maybe its the gentle look in his face-- lol.. no clue..

DrKym
01-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I think for me it is the soft and gentle look, He is quite stunning though! and the Labs in question are flat out beautiful too! Is it me or is it that we we really have no ugly pets here? I haven't seen one yet.........Even our mixes are too cute, and the pure breds all seem to be stunning as well. Kinda like the kids that get the pics posted not a ugly grape in the bunch :D

Love That Collie
01-06-2007, 01:41 PM
No, not many people mistake Bailey for a female, he's very big.
Chloe, (aka Princess Prissy Pants) well Chloe's all girl at 6 months, very ladylike and prissy UNTIL you see her in action with all the big boys. hehehe
But it didn't ever bother me if someone mistook one of my dogs in the past for male or female when it was the other.
Now, if someone had mistook a child of mine as male and it was female or vise versa then I probably would have been upset. :D But a dog.....no.

Hey borzoimom.....if you put the ears up on top of the Borzoi's head erect it would look like it was related to a Collie sort of. :D

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 01:45 PM
The Borzoi came from a Russian greyhound and Russian collie- .. You are closer in your idea than you think.. lol..
This is what they look like with their ears up- but they only go up prior to the hunting ambush- you see those ears go up- they are going to take off.. ( and my husband says the ears are turn signals- right up up- run right- , left ear up- run left- both ears up- run straight on..)

Zippy
01-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Walking Banidt(black/white cocker)I was happy when people didn't call him a dalmation :o
Sadly I am not kidding.

Daisy and Delilah
01-06-2007, 03:17 PM
It doesn't bother me at all. My kids have all boys and sometimes I even call my girls, boys, and call their boys, girls :confused: :)

Love That Collie
01-06-2007, 04:06 PM
The Borzoi came from a Russian greyhound and Russian collie- .. You are closer in your idea than you think.. lol..
This is what they look like with their ears up- but they only go up prior to the hunting ambush- you see those ears go up- they are going to take off.. ( and my husband says the ears are turn signals- right up up- run right- , left ear up- run left- both ears up- run straight on..)

Well, by George I learn something new every day. ;)
Are there still Russian Collies in existence?
lol, I know what you mean about the ears!

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Well, by George I learn something new every day. ;)
Are there still Russian Collies in existence?
lol, I know what you mean about the ears!
Good question- but I am not sure.. ( digs into books... lol)

sirrahved
01-06-2007, 04:11 PM
YES!!! I've got two girls, and to me, it's obvious that they're girls!

(even though I get confused at the shelter all the time :rolleyes: )

GreyhoundGirl
01-06-2007, 04:33 PM
It doesn't happen often, as she usually sports a brilliant pink collar. When it does happen it doesn't really bother me, I just polietly correct them. It does bother me when they say it wrong after you've corrected them (unless they're an older person ;) ) I could rant for HOURS about this really stupid person... to sum it up

1) they thought Jenny was a boy
2) they thought I was mis-treating her for starving her
3) the reason they thought I was starving her is because they thought she was a newf. (only about 5% of people that meet her actually realise she's sighthound. Most often it's newfoundlander :eek: or Border Collie.)

Get this!!! When I corrected them and told her Jenny was a female greyhound they said "no, honey, that's a newfoundlander, I had one when I was just a little girl. And there are no female newfoundlanders, they don't exist."

This got me so mad. Like I said, if you start me, I'll go for hours. :mad:

DrKym
01-06-2007, 04:36 PM
So Melissa , all Newfies are cloned from 1 male? sorry couldn' resist :D
Btw Jenny is an adorable name for a male newfie j/k! She is as always adorable!

GreyhoundGirl
01-06-2007, 04:38 PM
This lady was such a nut! I mean, OK, she must not have had a newf if she thought my 30 lb girl was a newf. :rolleyes:

Freedom
01-06-2007, 04:43 PM
If there are no female newfoundlanders, how do we get the male ones???? Er, newfoundlandER?

Some people are not dog people. Some people are not ANIMAL people. I can't be bothered with these last. Don't have any friends like that, etc.

People who are approaching your dog, asking about it, talking to it, maybe just take that as an opportunity to inform, teach, share your passion! Could be they like animals / dogs but never had the opportunity to live with one. They are showing an interest, respond at whatever level they happen to be.

Right now, I am getting irritated with all the people who think Sugar is a Poodle. Even when I say bichon frise, many go "a WHAT?" I am realizing that this is not a very common breed, not around here. Been talking with groomers and learning the same thing. Alright, not the same thing, you would expect them to know a male and a female.

I was lucky, I grew up with folks who love animals. I worked with a woman who was startled that I could tell the difference between a male and a female cardinal eating out at my birdfeeder! So some folks just don't know a THING about dogs. Or animals.

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 04:46 PM
This is a Newf: http://www.akc.org/breeds/newfoundland/index.cfm .... Now what part of Jen does this look like??/ OH I GET IT- SHE IS BLACK... lol..

DrKym
01-06-2007, 04:49 PM
ROFL Bmom! yup ! must make her for certain a Newf! Just like btw uh Dobes do not come in the color we have :rolleyes: as I was told by a vet tech.....they must both be mutations......ALL dobes are black *sigh* wouldn't bug me but that is the reason Rusty was abandoned a yr ago by his breeder with his 2 sibs in a snow storm....the other were the right color.............. :mad:

GreyhoundGirl
01-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I saw a black chihuahua once. Is it a newf, too? I should ask her... :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
01-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, people make the wrong assumptions about their genders sometimes but I don't really care that much. As long as they are nice to the dogs, that's all that matters to me!

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I saw a black chihuahua once. Is it a newf, too? I should ask her... :rolleyes:
By the standards they are judging Jen- then YES the black chi is also a Newf! Never mind Newf's are HUGE dogs!

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-06-2007, 05:19 PM
All of mine are mistaken for the opposite gender all the time, except for Winston (who is very obviously male, and most people just assume Dobes are anyway). Personally, I think Morgan is as feminine as Rottweilers get and people still think she's a male simply because she's a Rottweiler. I think Tango's pretty feminine too, but it seems that her colours or something throw people off and they think she's male. Her name doesn't help either, as there are more male dogs named Tango than female. That, and I don't "dress" her in girl collars. She wears either teal or green most of the time (pr her brown leather collar), and a brown leather leash. I doubt it'd help if she was wearing a pink collar anyway though. It doesn't really bother me too much unless I have to say "she" or "her", etc. over and over and they still don't seem to get it.

xcolbi
01-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Colbi is ALWAYS mistaken for a boy! Just because she's a big black dog (she's really not that big), and because of her name. Colbi is used as a girl and a boy's name. Even when I do tell people, "She's a girl.", they always end up saying, "Good boy!" after.

DrKym
01-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Speaking of Winston..........haven't seen any pics lately *Hint Hint* And yes I admit most Ppl assume Dobies are male. Ran into it with our Rotties too, and my mom gets it all the time with her Danes (all females btw)

K9soul
01-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I think black dog = boy in a lot of people's minds. Raven ALWAYS gets called a boy! I got her a pink collar today, maybe that will help ;). I mostly got it because the light sparkly pink looked so sharp next to her black coat though. I'm not too bothered by it really, though it amazes me how every single person we have met so far has immediately called her a he!

buttercup132
01-06-2007, 05:58 PM
It dosen't bother me when random people mix their sexes up but my own family dose it! (Not my mom and dad and sibling but the other kind of family). They call Rockee a he and Thunder a she!?! They have known them since we got them and 12 years later they STILL mix them up. That bothers me:mad:

coco-bean
01-06-2007, 07:50 PM
I think black dog = boy in a lot of people's minds. Raven ALWAYS gets called a boy! I got her a pink collar today, maybe that will help ;). I mostly got it because the light sparkly pink looked so sharp next to her black coat though. I'm not too bothered by it really, though it amazes me how every single person we have met so far has immediately called her a he!

NOPE...wont work! i have coco in a PINK Collar and a PINK leash...not to mention when they meet her, i say "she's pretty rambunctious" but they still just dont get it! Grr... :mad:

Kfamr
01-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I think a lot has to do with names, too. It seems many of you who are frustrated have dogs with names that could be male or female.

K9soul
01-06-2007, 08:15 PM
In my case name doesn't seem to matter since they think she's a boy before ever learning her name :D. But really it doesn't bother me much. I don't get angry about it. :)

cmayer31
01-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Everyone calls Frankie a he. It doesn't bother me too much, I just correct them and leave it at that. However, I do have friends that know she is a she and still call her a he. I think it's a mix of black crazy dog named Frankie. Sometimes I'll just call her Franny or Francis and people realize pretty quick that she is a she.

finn's mom
01-06-2007, 10:11 PM
nah, it doesn't bother me. people's intentions are what you should look at. if they're intentionally trying to insult, i'd be bothered. but, if not, i just let it go.

Danegirl2208
01-06-2007, 11:07 PM
well i dont have much problem with that...once in a while someone will call chloe a boy but everyone seems to know kais a boy, i mean its pretty obvious :rolleyes:

Twisterdog
01-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't pay a bit of attention to it, if it's just a passerby on the street. If they say, "Oh, he's so cute!" to Lucky, who is a girl, I don't correct them. Why? Chances are they will never see me or my dog again. It just doesn't matter.

I correct family members, or close friends, who will see my dogs umpteen times over.

I own a grooming shop and a boarding kennel, and it's actually a peeve of mine when people get huffy and insulted when you get the sex of their animal wrong. Come on ... we groom and board thousands and thousands and thousands of animals, it's really not possible to memorize the sex of every one. If the dog's name is Brutus or Hank, we assume it's a boy. If the dog's name is Lacie or Suzie, we assume it's a girl. However, we have female dogs named Sam, Toby, Spike .... and we have male dogs named Muffin, Kaya and Lanie.

I certainly don't mind if people politely correct me, I just hate that self-righteous attitude .... "Hrrrrmmp! You should KNOW Muffin is a boy!" How?? He's a shih tzu with a lot of hair, his name is Muffin, and we've never groomed him before! :rolleyes:

mr.chiwawa
01-07-2007, 02:18 AM
I got all of you beat :D My chi is soo small I have had adults say to me "oh what a cute kitten" Hes a dog. I have posted a pic you tell me if you see a kitten! LOL
Chi Hugs----

Danegirl2208
01-07-2007, 02:41 AM
I got all of you beat :D My chi is soo small I have had adults say to me "oh what a cute kitten" Hes a dog. I have posted a pic you tell me if you see a kitten! LOL
Chi Hugs----

Aw! he is so itty bitty :D Sometimes i think it would be nice to have such a small dog around, it would definatly easier on my lap! LOL ;) Smooches to him he is adorable!

Alasse
01-07-2007, 02:42 AM
Never had it happen with my guy....so cant tell ya if it bothers me or not