PDA

View Full Version : Dominant color?

coco-bean
01-06-2007, 11:47 AM
I've always pretty much figured black was the dominant color, but im curious as to what color puppies take after? the color of the mom or the color of the dad! coco's mom was chocolate and her dad was yellow...all her brothers and sisters ended up black! cainan was black for both and corona was yellow for both, but what if coco's parents roles where switched and the dad was chocolate and the mom was yellow? what color would they have been instead? still black or what color do you think would have come out of them? i guess the color thing kinda has been wondering, thanks in advance

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 12:44 PM
In Borzois, white is dominant. They wanted a dog to blend in with the Russian weather of mostly snow.. Self colors like black, are also finer in bone than the whites generally.. I know of a few that are not- but they are the exception, and not the rule in this breed..

applesmom
01-06-2007, 01:20 PM
coco-bean, this website should answer most of your questions.

Coat color inheritance in the Labrador Retriever (http://labbies.com/genetics.htm)

CaneCorso
01-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I would consider black color for lab is dominant; however, black german shepherd is considered recessive. Black is not always dominant in every breed, just some.

A really good article here for labs only

http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/color.html

This is another article that is good too. It is more complex than above link

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/Genetics.html

wolfsoul
01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
It depends on the breed and the genes involved. In Belgians, black is generally dominant. However there is a recessive black gene as well that is less common.

tikeyas_mom
01-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Well when Ebony (black lab) and Max (shephard/lab) had puppies two of them were black, three were tricolored, one was sabel, one was chocolate, one was chocolate and tan... So I really have a hard time believing that Black is dominant lol

Suki Wingy
01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Mom and dad contribute equally. There are three types a gene can be, dominant vs. resessive, codominant, and incompletley dominant. All pups get one copy of the gene for each allele from each parent. Most colors work on dom vs. recessive, where the dominant will mask any recessive, but a dog that is the dominant color could carry the resessive, so you could get a pup that is a recessive color out of two dominantly colored parents. Codominant is when both genes for the particular allele are shown, and incompletley dominant is like the cremello gene in horses, one copy will act on the color, in this case, diluting it down.

Husky_mom
01-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I agree it mostly depends on the breed.......

in Huskies black is more dominant than reds......

if you have a balck dad and black mom you´ll get all balck puppies
black dad, light grey mom, black, dark grey light grey puppies
grey dad grey mom, grey puppies

black dad, red mom, black, dark grey puppies and ocassionally a red one IF the dad had a reccesive red gene........

sometimes the rules seem to be broken but you really need to know ALL ancestors cause they could be carrying a gene for a long time......;) adn show up until it´s paired with another one

Canis-Lupess
01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
In border collies, the black and white gene is most dominant.

Still, even if both parents are black and white, they can still throw coloured pups. This is because they can be heterozygus black/red for example meaning they are black and white but also carry a hidden red gene. If both parents carry a hidden recessive gene and a pup inherits the recessive coloured gene from both parents, they can come out as coloured.

The only colour in Borders where it works differently is the merle gene. This is a mutant gene and can occur even when one of the parents is homozygus black meaning they only carry black genes.

Our Jess is homozygus black and white but when mated to a tri-merle dog, she thew pups with the merle colouration but no tan like what the sire had. The tan gene was recessive so didn't come out against her dominant black genes but the merle gene being a mutant gene did come out.
When she was mated to a red tri, all pups were black and white.

One thing I also noted with the merle pups is that they were all very white factored with only merle heads and a small amount of merle on the body.
I know that Jess likely carried a gene for white factoring because some of her siblings came out that way. It either came From Jess's mother mist, or her father, Monty. Jess, Monty and Mist were all traditionally marked and even though Jess had white factored siblings, the first two dogs she was mated to produced pups from traditionally marked to minimal white markings and mainly black but when we put her to the Merle, more than half the litter were very white factored, even more white factored than her siblings before and all the merles turned out this way.
It's funny how certain genes can associate themselves with each other.

I've never known for the genes being determined by sex really. It just all depends on what genes the pups inherit from their parents.

The only sex determined colour I can think of is cats with the tortioseshell (calico) colouration. Only females are tortoiseshell because the third colour gene required to make this colouration is found on the extra strand of chromosomes that male cats don't have so males turn out either black and white or ginger tabby.

DrKym
01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
All calico (tortoiseshell) cats are female??
while the vast majority of calico cats are female, there is the occasional male. However, virtually all of these males are sterile. the calico colour is sex linked. For a cat to be calico it must have two X chromosomes ergo the cat is female. In rare instances however a male calico will be produced. This usually happens because the cat has an extra chromosome. So, instead of him being XY, he is XXY. These cats are known as Kleinfelter males.

* Approximately 1-3,000 calico's are male & out of those only 1-10,000 are fertile.

and yes there are Orange females too! lol

Canis-Lupess
01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Yes, I've known of orange females although most ginger tabbies I have known are male.

I have read in some places that the very occasional male can turn out tortoiseshell then other places say only females are that colour. Still, unless the male is defective in the fact that he has an extra X chromosome, then he wouldn't be tortoiseshell. Hence most of them being sterile, I suppose.

BC_MoM
01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
what color puppies take after? the color of the mom or the color of the dad!

It depends which dog had the dominant gene. In grade 9 and 12 you will study genes ~ they're super interesting!

Giselle
01-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Hmm. I actually learned that calico cats are colored such not because the calico coloration is on an X chromosome but that to achieve genetic balance, one of the X chromosomes is inactivated (mosaic effect of maternal/paternal genes). Because male cats are XY, I was taught the dominant gene always overrides the recessive so there is no mosaic effect or calico coloring. But, as the stats show, there's always mutations!