PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy!!---(Pictures included)

*sled_dog*
01-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Hey everyone! :) Yukon, as you may know, I had rescued him from my local shelter when he was about 4 months old. He is now a bit over a year old. I have been trying to work with him since I adopted him, harness breaking, pulling small logs, letting him run with another dog or two, etc. Well even now he just wants nothing to do with pulling. I get the harnesses out and he alot of times will hide in his dog house while the other dogs go crazy, lol. So anyways, I have decided to let him go to a different good home (I really think he will make someone a good companion ;) ). (relative probably)

BUT, I will still have 8 Huskies. Just the other night (1/3/07) I got a new Siberian Husky pup, Kodiak. Here are some pictures of him....... :D

http://sleddog.zoto.com/img/45/d01a6dc20e6e173023f7a03412bd3990-.jpg
http://sleddog.zoto.com/img/45/94b8431e202182013ba4e288606159b6-.jpg
http://sleddog.zoto.com/img/45/4bce423ff865f68c8db9381cb4b5d70d-.jpg
http://sleddog.zoto.com/img/45/b06883c2da6b46f2e1a0d08e55a31db0-.jpg
http://sleddog.zoto.com/img/45/b069e282b8852e8c01297264ae232bbe-.jpg

:D :D

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 11:25 PM
OMG!! He is just so adorable!!! I love that last pic with all the stuffies!!!:D

kimlovescats
01-05-2007, 11:31 PM
The new pup is adorable. Can't you just keep Yukon for a pet though? Does he have to be a sled dog??? :(

BC_MoM
01-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Oh, how cute! Welcome Kodiak! You're going to have lots of fun with your new Mommy!

*sled_dog*
01-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Can't you just keep Yukon for a pet though? Does he have to be a sled dog??? :(
Actually, yes, as I do run sled dogs, that is why I got him. To train him, etc. I would LOVE to keep him, but he is not working out the way I had hoped. All my dogs are like just a pet, but I have a hobby with each of them (training, sledding, running, agility, obedience....) I just don't want to feel like I don't give him enough time, ya know :) Taking out the other dogs for a run, and him being left behind. Not that he isn't happy here, but I think Yukon will be happy with someone to have him as a pet, he is very friendly and loving :D. (hope that made sense:))

kimlovescats
01-06-2007, 12:24 AM
I see. Good luck finding Yukon a wonderful home! He sure is a handsome boy!

pitc9
01-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Prayers for Yukon and finding him a new home.

Kfamr
01-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Good luck with the new puppy.

Prayers for Yukon and finding him a new home.

Ditto. :( Hopefully his next home will keep him for longer than a year. :(

GreyhoundGirl
01-06-2007, 08:20 AM
MAJOR cuteness warning needed. Some people just can't stand (literally!) those blue eyes. and the howling pic... oh the howling pic...*melts* And with the stuffies... Oh my...

Soooooo cute. I <3 blue eyes. :D

Vela
01-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Not bashing just curious, what if one of your other dogs gets hurt and can't pull anymore? Do you find them a new home and replace them? What if this new puppy decides he doesn't like to pull? Will he also be found a new home and be replaced? Don't get me wrong, I am glad you aren't just dumping Yukon back as the shelter, but it just seems sad that he is being rehomed for no other reason than he didn't do what you thought he should do. It's not like he doesn't get along with other dogs, causes major destruction, has horrid and dangerous behavior, he just doesn't want to pull. If one of your other dogs suddnely can't do what you expect of them in their certain "discipline", do they also get rehomed and replaced? I am only asking because I can't imagine doing that if I truly loved my dog, I'd make a place for him to just be him, and make separate time for him to just go on a walk etc.. Not asking to rip into you, I really am just wondering.

The pup is cute, it just loses something to know another dog is being "replaced" so I guess for me it's not as exciting, I don't know, just seems sad.

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 08:48 AM
However- after reading this repeatedly- I do have a few comments. First of all welcome new puppy..
Second- it will take a good 9 months before the puppy is " up and running" so you still only have 7 dogs until then. Is there any possiblity the other dog Yukon could have been trained the wrong way for him? Meaning- some dogs are late bloomers- and maybe he needs more time- going back to square one. We have a lady in our county that does this sled pulling. She puts the harness on the dogs for days so they get use to it, and associate with food etc.. I am not going to sit here and pretend I know how to train a sled dog- I am just trying to make the point maybe he needed to be trained a different way to make it on the team. He is already old enough. Maybe he just needs more training- or needs to run with a different dog- one he likes more etc until he gets the point of this. I am hoping you will look at how he was trained, and think of another way you could work with him on this- meanwhile- the puppy grows up...

husky 1
01-06-2007, 09:48 AM
what a gorgeous little boy, just stunning. :)

Alysser
01-06-2007, 10:00 AM
While the puppy is cute, I don't think this fair for Yukon at all. You keep Meeko as a pet, isn't there just the slightest chance you CAN keep Yukon? :(

husky 1
01-06-2007, 10:10 AM
:( Yes it is a shame for yukon , could he not stay as a pet, my sibe bitch mishka dosen't like running in a race harness either so i don't mind , she came to us as a pup so stays here as i don't like to rehoime dogs unless it was an emergency or i had lost my home , god forbid.

Chilli
01-06-2007, 10:18 AM
The pup is cute.
I agree with what others have stated, though.
Especially Vela and borzoimom.. both of them made very good points.
Maltese_Love also pointed out a good point. Eventhough Meeko is your mum's dog, if I remember right, why is their room and time for him in the family and not Yukon? I know huskies are considerably larger than pomeranians. I find that even just letting your dog play with another dog can help fill the time that you're unable to spend with them. In fact, our Husky mix likes to play with our foster pug more than he likes to play with us humans!

A dog comes into a home as not only a responsibility, but also as a family member. They rely on you. They believe in you that you'll always be there for them.

Don't take this as a bashing.. as its not. Like others, I just can't see why you are unable to keep Yukon.

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Also- here if you take a dog from the shelters- you have to give the dog back.. You can not adopt out.. Becareful and read your contract..

lute
01-06-2007, 12:50 PM
CONGRATS! He sure is a cutie! :D

I'm sorry you have to find Yukon a new home. I wish there was a way you could keep him, but if you think he could get better care elsewhere. Good luck finding him a home!

*sled_dog*
01-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry I didn't think Yukon would be a problem, I think some of you may have misunderstood, I should have given more detail. Yes I love Yukon very much. Meeko is not my dog, yes he is my moms. Therefor I don't feed him, train him, etc. And when I say finding a home, he may be going to some relatives of mine, which makes it easier for me to let him go. I am not just going to give him to some strangers. And I have been training and running sled dogs for about 6 1/2 years now and my brother used to run them when he was younger, so I know how to work with them. I know some mushers who have even asked me if I wanted one of their dogs, do to not pulling/retired. And as some of you are saying him being "replaced" with a new dog......I am NOT replacing him. I have been planning to get a Husky pup(in the future I am sure I'll get more to run). So whether Yukon pulls or not I would still have Kodiak! Also I know Kodiak will pull. Yes Yukon is only a little over a year(look at Maya and Thunder they are 7 months and pulling already. most the time they want to pull and having fun!) and I want him to have a happy life with someone who will give him the "pet" time. I love training, running, etc. with my dogs. I go to school, work, and I want him to have someone to give him the time I cant.

borzoimom: the shelter I got him from, you dont have to give them back, just let them know is all.

Vela: I try not to think about them getting hurt, if they were to, I hope for them to mend :).

Again, I dont think some of you are getting the "point" ;) I didn't think it would cause negative replys when I am trying to do the right thing for him.

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I was just hoping there was another training technique you could try with Yukon..I have had several times a different dog that needs a different technique to get the same results.

Glacier
01-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, I was trying to keep my mouth shut on this one, but I'm loosing the battle. Attitudes and actions like this are the single biggest problem in the mushing world. Rehoming/dumping dogs that "aren't good enough" is the reason why I have 23 dogs in my yard. Almost everyone of them wasn't good enough for someone else. Their loss, my gain! It's the reason why over 3000 huskies a year die in the Fairbanks, Alaska shelter. Almost every one of those dogs is a working sled dog that didn't meet their mushers' standards. That doesn't count the thousands more that never make it to a shelter or never have the chance to be rehomed. It's the reason why I will never be a serious, competitive musher. The attitude disgusts me.

My dogs live and die with me, regardless of their interest in pulling. Of the 23, only 15 pull. My retired leader is currently lounging on the couch. Heyoka, who should have been a great freight dog but hates to work, is running around the yard, playing with Mac. I gave Heyoka's harness away last year, never considered giving the dog away! If you had adopted Yukon from the shelter I work with and then rehomed him, you immediately go on our Do Not Adopt list and would never get another animal from us.

And now I'm going outside to take my not good enough sled dogs for a 20 mile run.

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Holy Cow!!! 3000??? I DIDN'T know that!! .. :(

Karen
01-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Well, Yukon can go to someone who always wanted a husky, but who couldn't deal with most huskies' incessant need to pull ... We are glad that you rescued him initially, and have worked with him this long. We all know you want what's best for him, and as a rescue, we'll never know what abuse he may have suffered as a young pup - which may be why he'll never be a 'sled dog' but can still be a perfectly good dog for someone.

Kfamr
01-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Tamara, I am so glad there are people like you in this world. You are actually one of the first people I thought of when reading this.

This thread has made me shed tears. To be a shelter dog and then get shifted around because he won't work. :( So very sad for Yukon. Like I said, hopefully his new family will give him more than a year.

Hopefully your new puppy meets all of your expectations.

applesmom
01-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Cogratulations on the new pup! And for having the insight to understand that Yukon will be better off in another loving home. A place where he will have even more love and attention than you are able to provide with your busy schedule.

Decisions like this are never easy, and you will miss him. But when these decisions are made with the lifetime benefit of the dog in mind, it's a kind and unselfish decision.

Lori Jordan
01-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Lovely picture i love the one with all the stuff animals !

DrKym
01-06-2007, 02:17 PM
OUCH! I think the new pup is gorgeous! (and I do remember months ago you saying you would be adding more to your life ) as for Yukon, I am so glad you took the time to think of his life. It takes so much to look past our own wants and see what will truly be best for someone/thing else. Knowing him better than anyone else, you were unselfish enough to see past what you wanted from him and what would make him supremely happy. Being a companion. I am certain he will excel in it as he had so much time and love from you during his puppyhood! Lucky new Mom and Dad! Keep us posted as to how he is enjoying a pampered life(probably watching watching the Iditarod and giggling to himself while lounging on the couch :rolleyes: ) Good luck with Kodiak, and would love to see new pics of the team! *hint hint* :)

Kym

ShihtzuBeauty
01-06-2007, 02:20 PM
He's simply Stunning! I too love the one w/all of the stuffies, too cute! :)

*future vet*
01-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Cogratulations on the new pup! And for having the insight to understand that Yukon will be better off in another loving home. A place where he will have even more love and attention than you are able to provide with your busy schedule.

Decisions like this are never easy, and you will miss him. But when these decisions are made with the lifetime benefit of the dog in mind, it's a kind and unselfish decision.
I agree applesmom! Congratulations on the beautiful new pup! I'm very happy for you!
I think some of you are getting a little unfair. *sled_dog* loves all of her dogs VERY much, and takes good care of them. She has worked with Yukon on pulling, and he wasn't as interested in the sport.
Like she said, she may be giving him to some relatives, not just anyone. She's experienced with dogs. This isn't fair for her because she just wanted to share a new pup with you and many of you are pointing your finger at her for "not loving Yukon."
Please just be happy for her, and know Yukon will get a loving home! :)

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I am glad he is going to relatives- at least you can still see him. Pardon me- but I didn't see that listed in the beginning posts..

*future vet*
01-06-2007, 03:46 PM
This is *future vet*'s mom....
As a third party reading all of this, I just feel a need to state my opinion.
I've had the pleasure of getting to know *sled_dog* and can honestly say that she loves each and every one of her dogs. The mere fact that she is going to find Yukon a new home with LOVING family members speakes volumes about her. As written in a couple of other posts, it's never an easy decision-she is not taking it lightly.
She is a very responsible person with an immense love of animals. I respect her decision for finding Yukon a new home and hope she continues to follow her dreams.

Danegirl2208
01-06-2007, 08:19 PM
oh hes a cutie :)

I know you'll find Yukon a good home, and while its extremly sad, i respect you decisans...you know whats best for your dog..give him a big hug for me ok? I love that big sweet face of his.

tikeyas_mom
01-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Well, I was trying to keep my mouth shut on this one, but I'm loosing the battle. Attitudes and actions like this are the single biggest problem in the mushing world. Rehoming/dumping dogs that "aren't good enough" is the reason why I have 23 dogs in my yard. Almost everyone of them wasn't good enough for someone else. Their loss, my gain! It's the reason why over 3000 huskies a year die in the Fairbanks, Alaska shelter. Almost every one of those dogs is a working sled dog that didn't meet their mushers' standards. That doesn't count the thousands more that never make it to a shelter or never have the chance to be rehomed. It's the reason why I will never be a serious, competitive musher. The attitude disgusts me.

My dogs live and die with me, regardless of their interest in pulling. Of the 23, only 15 pull. My retired leader is currently lounging on the couch. Heyoka, who should have been a great freight dog but hates to work, is running around the yard, playing with Mac. I gave Heyoka's harness away last year, never considered giving the dog away! If you had adopted Yukon from the shelter I work with and then rehomed him, you immediately go on our Do Not Adopt list and would never get another animal from us.

And now I'm going outside to take my not good enough sled dogs for a 20 mile run.

ALL I have to say is.. Touch'e.. I wish Yukon could come live with me.

Husky_mom
01-08-2007, 11:51 AM
despite the sadness Yukon didnīt work, I hope he now can get all the attention he deserves without having to do something he didnīt enjoyed (I KNOW he is very loved andit is not fair to leave him behind). he can now be the couch potatoe he might want

as for the newbie.........now I definately have to go visit you!!!..........adn come back with a stuffed suitcase ;)

how lovely I want to steal him!!!...........

BC_MoM
01-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Wow, GREAT post, Glacier.

Husky15
01-08-2007, 12:12 PM
I have to agree with Glacier on the Yukon topic. Boy, I wish I could take Yukon, I always thought he was gorgeous.

Congratulations on Kodiak. He is such a cute puppy!

dab_20
01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Glacier... I wish there were soo many other people in the world just like you. All of your dogs are so lucky to have you in their lives, to save them from heartless people. I thank you for that.

I do not agree at all with your reason to rehome Yukon, but I wish him the best of luck in finding a furever home and a family who loves him for who he is. He is such a handsome boy.

Kodiak is adorable!

Anita Cholaine
01-08-2007, 01:29 PM

Tamara, after your post, I don't think I could add anything else. I wish there were more people like you in this world.

It's your own decision to rehome Yukon, so I don't think there's much we can do. I hope he finds a forever, loving family, I'll definitely keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Kodiak is such a cutie, but what if he's not good enough as a sled dog? Will you also rehome him?

elizabethann
01-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Sorry if some of the replies aren't what you were expecting. But I'm with Glacier on this one. :(

T-Ice
01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Hello All,

I first want to say that without opinions we would accomplish nothing, so thank you all for your opinions on this topic!
There are many types of people in this world. Some people have too many dogs, even in their opinion. Some have many but are always adding more. Some people have one and would love one more.Some people don't have any and would die to just have one. Some people like like dogs but feel they are too much work. Some people think dogs are creatures of disgust and feel no person should keep them as pets. I know who I am and I think you all know who you are. For the people who have dogs some think of them as creatures of higher power who desrve not to have one human tell them what to do, their owners live at their will, they are alpha superior to all. Some people keep them as couch potatoes. Some people keep them as pets and provide fun and stimulating activities for them do do.Some people keep dogs as working animals only.
Some people make sure each dog has a job to do, believing it not right to own one of these magnificiant animals without having them do what they should be doing naturally. For example I myself (and yes I know I'm going get slammed on this one) don't think it is fair to have a husky as a pet only. Huskies are suppose to have a job to do( in my pinion, of course), a real job. Unfortunatly, and I guess fortunatly also, some huskies are having their working intsicts and desire bred out of them making them easier to keep as house pets. Laid back , Lazy :eek: , lovable house pets.
On With Working Sled Dogs: A PT Musher, who also replied to this topic, has many sled dogs. More than half of which are working. This person also stated that she would never find a new home for one of her huskies if it no longer wanted to pull. And this is okay for her. This her her decision and a correct one for her indeed. Meaning therefore she would have just as many huskies as she has now even in none of them pulled. And again this is okay for her. What is not okay is for her to scold other people's opinions, in public (could have PM'd) with the intent to make the other person get definsive, about their decisions on their sled dogs. For some people, myself included, have a hard time keeping a husky if it does not want to pull. Not because I don't love and respect the animal but because I am a musher, With a goal to continue mushing, and in order to mush I need dogs that pull. I could have 100 huskies in my kennel but if none of them enjoy this activity I wouldn't be able to mush. I am a musher, I have sled dogs. I am also a pet owner, I have pet dogs.

I am also one of you, I have an opinion.

cassiesmom
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
http://sleddog.zoto.com/img/45/b069e282b8852e8c01297264ae232bbe-.jpg

Holy socks! This is like playing Where's Waldo - only it's Where's Kodiak! Which of these is the actual living, breathing, adorable, precious pup?! What a darling! Pet Talk Cuteness Warning!

DrKym
01-08-2007, 04:39 PM
T-Ice, well said and well thought out. Thank you your post is what I was trying to get across in mine. Thanks for calm and equitable opinon. :)

buttercup132
01-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I think what she means (I don't know if this is right or wrong but this is how I see it) is that her way of giving her dogs attention right now and showing them love etc is when she trains them, sleds with them , and works with them. Since Yukon isnt up for that she dosent have time between school etc to give Yukon "pet" time.

So why not let Yukon go to someone who like Karen said wants a Husky but might not want all the Husky qualities ie: wanting to pull all the time and really hyper. I know there are alot of people who want certain breeds but can't have them because of the personality of the breed and ould probly jump at the opurtunity to own that breed without some of the aspects that wouldn't fit into yourlife style.

Congrads on the new puppy.

wolfsoul
01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Aw, Kodiak is adorable! :)

I was never able to understand, until a couple years ago, when I got Visa, how a breeder or someone with working dogs, could give up a dog that could not breed or work. If a dog is retired from working because it is old, it's old -- it doesn't need alot of exercise or training anymore. But if a dog retires because it just won't do the work, it still needs the attention and the training. It won't lay around like the older retired dogs. If you only have time to do your regular training and exercise with the other dogs, and not give "special" and seperate training and exercise to another one, how fair is it to keep that dog, rather than giving it a home that does have the time?

For instance, I have to bike to work everyday. If Visa refused to run beside my bike, she would be at home in her crate for 10-12 hours a day, while Solo comes to work with me. When I get home from work, I have way too many things to do before I go to bed, and I don't have time to give her seperate exercise. How fair would it be to keep a dog with such a huge amount of energy in that situation?

Sometimes it's more selfish to keep a dog than to give it a better home. If everyone kept dogs that didn't suit their lifestyles, I wouldn't have Visa.

Glacier
01-08-2007, 07:52 PM
On With Working Sled Dogs: What is not okay is for her to scold other people's opinions, in public (could have PM'd) with the intent to make the other person get definsive, about their decisions on their sled dogs. For some people, myself included, have a hard time keeping a husky if it does not want to pull. Not because I don't love and respect the animal but because I am a musher, With a goal to continue mushing, and in order to mush I need dogs that pull. I could have 100 huskies in my kennel but if none of them enjoy this activity I wouldn't be able to mush. I am a musher, I have sled dogs. I am also a pet owner, I have pet dogs.

I am also one of you, I have an opinion.

But it's ok for you to scold me publicly??? I have discussed this further with sled_dog by PM.

Sled dog rescue is my life's work. This weekend alone I had three phone calls from mushers wanting to get rid of their dogs--one guy his entire team of close to two dozen dogs. It is extremely rare that a full week goes by where I don't get a call from some musher who's got too many dogs, too many puppies, the dog is too old, too young, too unfocused, funny gait, health issues, temperment issues, claims he's sick and has to get out of mushing, or just doesn't want to bother anymore. While I believe there are legitmate reasons for placing a dog, I think they are far more rare than most mushers like to believe. The market for working sled dogs, of any age and any caliber, is extremely limited. The average pet dog owner runs screaming in the other direction as soon as they hear the words "sled dog", even where I live, in the middle of mushing central. Most of the dogs I get calls about end up dead and not always a humane death. Their deaths keep me up at night. So don't expect any sympathy or understanding from me when you dump a dog.

I do hope Yukon gets a great new home where he will be loved and appreciated for the rest of his life.

Vela
01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=T-Ice}On With Working Sled Dogs: A PT Musher, who also replied to this topic, has many sled dogs. More than half of which are working. This person also stated that she would never find a new home for one of her huskies if it no longer wanted to pull. And this is okay for her. This her her decision and a correct one for her indeed. Meaning therefore she would have just as many huskies as she has now even in none of them pulled. And again this is okay for her. What is not okay is for her to scold other people's opinions, in public (could have PM'd) with the intent to make the other person get definsive, about their decisions on their sled dogs. [/QUOTE]

Umm, in one breath you tell HER to take it to PMs and then turn around and scold HER in public? I don't think that is appropriate at all. You are welcome to your opinion, like anyone else, but please don't presume to tell someone else what to do, and then turn around and do exactly the same thing you are accusing them of; and I thank God above for people like Glacier, or there would be a whole lot of sled dogs that's other's don't want anymore languishing at the shelter or put down.

Yukon will, I'm sure, be placed in a loving and caring home. He isn't being dumped at a shelter, but I still feel badly for him that his current home didn't work out for him.

borzoimom
01-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Okay- your decission is your decission- To each their own..
However- let me point this out. I had always shown dogs- and Hottie wasnt supposed to be any different. I took him out of the ring at 2 because I was not sure if he got the OCD from the accident as a pup ( throwing his weight into his shoulders and elbows because of the left rear leg) or did it occur because there was a genetic weakness that allowed the condition to be worse than it might have been. Hottie is still here..
Femka- rescue, but also I had planned on obedience with her. While she can do it, its obvious she doesnt like being touched by strangers- especially men.. She is still here..
Galina- came here for training ( I think I was set up) because they had questions about her temperment as being either excessively shy, or simply was just being overly dominated by other alpha bitches at the breeder- the second turned out to be true- and she stayed here. If her temperment had not " come into her own" etc ( even got her therapy dog title a little over a month after arriving here- and shows in the ring with brass.. lol) - Still it was obvious- she would have stayed here as a spayed bitch and companion.
I understand your desire for sledding etc- but the fact is- this is not the first time I have kept dogs that did not work as originally planned. I had two shepherds fail out of police work for not holding a bite long enough. They lived out their lives with me, while I just made more room.
I understand my position was different- after all- the two shepherds were of my breeding- and the only two that failed to be " hard enough" to make it. However- Hottie, Femka, Galina are NOT OF MY breeding- purchased soley for either show, or take for obedience. Should something happen more, they would still live with me..
If you do not have room in your house for a companion inside- that is one thing- but those are my opinions. I only gave up a dog one time- and that was because the dog was a liability - and went to a home without other dogs or children. ( not of my breeding- basically all but given away.I had a 5 year old in the house.)
Yukon sounds like a lover- a softer temperment- placing is not my decission, but I just wanted to throw this out to you in more detail than what I have said previously. I wish him well, and I hope you get what you want. I guess dogs are more in my mind as companions first and foremost- and the rest is just gravy or iceing on the cake..

*sled_dog*
01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Okay, this is really going a bit to far and getting really tiresome. This post may be long, but it could be longer...... This is not *sled_dog*--this is her mother. I don't normally ever come into this website, but she has let me read what has been being sent. This is HER fun web to visit. I cannot believe some of what I see (on this thread). It is pathetic and really ridiculous!!! In fact I feel really stupid that I feel to respond, but I am going to try and set some facts straight. I am not going to use any names but hope to some how reply to them as they have responded.
To start out. It really doesn't matter what anybody thinks or does with their lifestyle. To each their own!! There are no wrongs or rights. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions for everything. That is certainly not going to change the way somebody else might feel. OPINIONS--strong word. That's what gets me in this thread. Sled_dog was not asking anybody for any opinions, but all of a sudden that's what was thrown at her. What happened. Some very understanding ones--thank you all for that, and some negative-bashing ones. Very uncalled for here. If that is what you are going to do. Then why didn't you make your own thread. Because it certainly does not fit into this one, what so ever. Sled_dog was simply sharing her new puppy with you all. In spite of some of you not acknowledging that and jumping on her about Yukon. I will have you know that she is still very excited about having Kodiak, lets not try and spoil that. It is a losing battle. That's what this thread is about!! But at the same time she shared with you that Yukon is going to a new home. Grant it, maybe she should have made it separate by the looks of it---so unbelievably ridiculous what this has become.
For some of you that may think it is your business, after reading some replies. Getting her new puppy has nothing what so ever with getting rid of Yukon. Just so happens to be close to the same time. It could have been a month ago--or a month later, give or take. She has been planning to have Kodiak. And she would like to add a couple more pups to be trained for her team in the next year or two. And it is impossible to replace a year old Husky with a 8 week old puppy! Come on now. She looks at it as adding Kodiak to the team someday, not replacing Yukon. Just so happens that Yukon is not a sled dog. I repeat (Yukon is not a sled dog) she has found out. None of you would know that because none of you have had the honor to work with him or watch him or simply see how he acts. This does not make Yukon a (not good enough dog) he is a very wonderful dog. Thats why she is making sure he goes to a wonderful family. Which will fit the needs of both.

Some relatives as Sled_dog has stated. She has a certain relative that has been teasing her and hinting about wanting that dog! For about the last few months. Sled_dog kept telling him he could not have him. She had no intension on actually getting rid of him--but just keep working with him. But now after that long and seeing that he is not a bred sled dog, she has made the decision to let him go. It was not an easy one to make. She would, before going to bed many nights say, I don't know what to do ma!? And was not a very happy girl. I and her Dad think she made the best decision possible. For herself and for Yukon, (lucky dog!) Whew, now we are all happy. So, as it has been put in replies. She is not dumping Yukon. Sled_dog has, and works with pulling/running huskies. SO WHAT!! Thats one of the things she loves to do. And thats what all of her huskies love to do. You should see them when they see her come walking with the harnesses. It is unreal, how excited they get :) . They are all, each and every one of them her pets. But they all get that training and running time with her. Where as Yukon wants nothing to do with it. She just hates leaving him behind and not including him. So why not put him somewhere she knows he will be having more -one on one- fun time.
And as far as Kodiak, what if he doesn't pull, and getting rid of him. Sled_dog doesn't think that way when she gets a puppy, just as she did not think about when getting Yukon. She gets her Huskies when still pups, as she loves to train them herself. She is a natural. She has been doing this for almost seven years. This is the first husky that has not worked out. Keep in mind. She did rescue him from a shelter, they had husky mix on his record, and he really did look like a husky when a pup. But you can't always go by that. Some rescue shelters are not always right when finding a dog. Believe me, we have our reasons for saying that. He was brought in because somebody found him abandoned on a road. Sled_dog adopted him, yes, hoping to add him to her team and very excited about it. Only to find out that he is not a sled dog but a fun and loving pet. Sled_dog gave him the chance for life and gave him a very good home, taught him everything he knows, well mannered, to trust people, etc. Now he is ready to make someone else very happy.
Okay, if you read this far, hope you have a little more understanding to why sled_dog is getting rid of Yukon. (Not that it should have really mattered to anyone in the first place! ;) ) It is really no big deal. To sum this all up---Before anyone judges any other person, if the thought is needed--you should first know the circumstances and not jump to conclusions so quickly. Sled_dog is absolutely most far from asking anybody for sympathy. I think after reading through this thread. Well, it just made absolutely no sense at all. Could have been avoided all together. After all, it was mainly for introducing Kodiak. Not to scwabble about Yukon. There is nothing wrong with him, he is very happy. So there is no need to feel sorry for him. Thats up to you. Anyways, hope you enjoyed Kodiaks pictures, I know we do at home here. I am sure there will be more. And thanks again, to you all that understood, after this all got started?? :)

borzoimom
01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
As a mother myself, I hear your words. It was just presented to us, yukon would work out, so I got ...
All is taken as a word of advice- and as stated by even myself- to each their own.. I was offering what I did when a dog didnt " make the grade" in what their "assignment was..".. Nothing more- nothing less..

cali
01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
congrats! kodiak is adorable! and as someone who is involved in the working a serious sporting(as in not getting a pet and do sports, but getting the dog FOR sports) I fully understand your situation with Yukon as I do the same with my gang :)

momto2dogs
01-09-2007, 07:50 PM
nicely put. I is not an easy thing giving up a pet that does not work out. Good luck and the new pup is adorable.

pitc9
01-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Dear Sled dog's mom -
Please understand that we are a group of people that love our dogs beyond words, there is NOTHING we wouldn't do for our pets.
The #1 thing most of us here would never do is get rid of a dog because it's not working out.
We are a group of people like no other, a lot of us spend our own personal time and money saving dogs because people gave them away because they were not working out, or they got too big, or they shed too much, or they bark too much, or they just don't want them anymore. Trust me, we've all heard it all before... every excuse in the book.
You need to understand that for those of us here that do rescue, this has hit a nerve.

Beki
01-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Huskies are my favorite dog! same with alaskian malimute. (sorry if spelling is incorrect) i always wish to have one someday! just as a pet, not even to pull! i should get going! Kodiak your're beautiful! what neat eyes! wow~! bbyes for now. keep kodiak updated please. bbyes.

elizabethann
01-10-2007, 07:33 AM
When I adopted Fenway, it was a lifetime commitment. He'll be with me forever. I see him as a companion and a best friend. If you choose to give a dog away because it's not working out (or it's not performing like you planned), that's your choice but I don't agree with it.

applesmom
01-10-2007, 10:54 AM
This issue has really gotten out of hand. Surprisingly many of those currently doing rescue; and who of all people should understand the joy and wonderful feeling of accomplishment of placing the perfect dog in the perfect home are the ones who are being closed minded and simply refuse to "get it"!

I've been on both ends of this situation and completely agree that finding Yukon a loving home as "just a pet", is the best thing for him. It's also an unselfish act with the best interests of Yukon at heart.

Our second GSP Clover, came to us as a breeder "repo". She had been purchased as a show prospect and personal hunting dog, and the owners hadn't done their research into the breed. As it turned out they did absolutely nothing with her other than leave her crated all day and yell at her and smack her with newspaper every time she even looked at their bird. (She was a bird dog for heaven's sake!) She was not properly socialized and the owners had no intention of fulfilling their agreement to either hunt with her or show her.

When Clover was just over a year, the breeder discovered the truth of Clovers situation. She instantly repossessed Clover (according to the terms of the sales contract).

When I met Clover's breeder she'd had her back for 6 months and she had every intention of keeping Clover forever even though she already had a houseful of dogs and they no longer hunted.

As she got to know and trust me, she had the foresight to see that Clover would be much better off with someone that had the desire, the time and the energy to put into socialization, training and loving her for the rest of her life. Under our care and with a lot of patience, Clover blossomed into a completely confidant dog who easily completed her Championship and spent the last 11 years of her life as a highly treasured member of our family as well as our personal hunting dog.

Then there was Buck; our pick of litter as a field trial prospect from our first litter. He started out like gangbusters easily winning his puppy and derby points and we had high hopes for him as a field trial dog. Then one morning at the age of 17 months, he refused to eat and I rushed him into the vet. The diagnosis was the dreaded Valley Fever!

Four months, 1700 dollars and 16 horribly painful treatments later, Buck was pronounced free of Valley Fever! However common sense told us that submitting Buck to the stress of competition would not be the right thing to do. As a result of that decision and the fact that he had developed a fear of men due to the painful IV treatments administered by the vet; he was retired from competition and became just a beloved house pet in a household of hunting dogs. We still took him training with us, but something was missing from his life and even though he was now perfectly healthy he no longer had the same sparkle in his eyes.

Then one day a young man visited, just to talk hunting dogs and learn about the German Shorthaired Pointer as a breed. Since I knew Buck was afraid of men I considered putting him outside while Rick was here, but reconsidered, knowing that it was time we began addressing the problem head on.

Fully expecting Buck to head for the other room the moment he heard a strange man's voice, I kept my eyes on him. Rick came in and sat down on the couch--and to my shock and dismay Buck lunged straight at him landing full force in his lap!!!!!!!!!! He instantly melted into a wriggling mass of loving excitement and Rick responded in kind. Then Buck curled up beside Rick with his head in his lap gazing up at him with adoring eyes. Every time Rick got up during his visit Buck was right beside him as if held by an invisible leash.

We'd invited Rick to a hunt the next day and took Buck along with us. Buck hunted only for Rick that day! Every bird that was downed was delivered directly to Rick's hands as if we weren't even there!

Yes! We parted with a dog that we'd raised from birth and dearly loved! After making an agonizing decision he went to a new forever home with Rick and his wife Jodie! Buck lived 15 years as Rick's pal and hunting buddy and had a tremendous part in raising their two boys as they came along.

It hurt more than I can possibly describe to part with Buck. But under the circumstances it would have been cruel and selfish to keep him knowing how much he loved Rick and what a great home he'd have!

wolflady
01-10-2007, 11:41 AM
What a great story, applesmom! Buck really chose his person, didn't he? ;)

*sled_dog*, Kodiak is cute and the picture of him with the stuffed animals is priceless! I hope he works out with your team. :)

Sevaede
01-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Okay, this is really going a bit to far and getting really tiresome. This post may be long, but it could be longer...... This is not *sled_dog*--this is her mother. I don't normally ever come into this website, but she has let me read what has been being sent. This is HER fun web to visit. I cannot believe some of what I see (on this thread). It is pathetic and really ridiculous!!! In fact I feel really stupid that I feel to respond, but I am going to try and set some facts straight. I am not going to use any names but hope to some how reply to them as they have responded.
To start out. It really doesn't matter what anybody thinks or does with their lifestyle. To each their own!! There are no wrongs or rights. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions for everything. That is certainly not going to change the way somebody else might feel. OPINIONS--strong word. That's what gets me in this thread. Sled_dog was not asking anybody for any opinions, but all of a sudden that's what was thrown at her. What happened. Some very understanding ones--thank you all for that, and some negative-bashing ones. Very uncalled for here. If that is what you are going to do. Then why didn't you make your own thread. Because it certainly does not fit into this one, what so ever. Sled_dog was simply sharing her new puppy with you all. In spite of some of you not acknowledging that and jumping on her about Yukon. I will have you know that she is still very excited about having Kodiak, lets not try and spoil that. It is a losing battle. That's what this thread is about!! But at the same time she shared with you that Yukon is going to a new home. Grant it, maybe she should have made it separate by the looks of it---so unbelievably ridiculous what this has become.
For some of you that may think it is your business, after reading some replies. Getting her new puppy has nothing what so ever with getting rid of Yukon. Just so happens to be close to the same time. It could have been a month ago--or a month later, give or take. She has been planning to have Kodiak. And she would like to add a couple more pups to be trained for her team in the next year or two. And it is impossible to replace a year old Husky with a 8 week old puppy! Come on now. She looks at it as adding Kodiak to the team someday, not replacing Yukon. Just so happens that Yukon is not a sled dog. I repeat (Yukon is not a sled dog) she has found out. None of you would know that because none of you have had the honor to work with him or watch him or simply see how he acts. This does not make Yukon a (not good enough dog) he is a very wonderful dog. Thats why she is making sure he goes to a wonderful family. Which will fit the needs of both.

Some relatives as Sled_dog has stated. She has a certain relative that has been teasing her and hinting about wanting that dog! For about the last few months. Sled_dog kept telling him he could not have him. She had no intension on actually getting rid of him--but just keep working with him. But now after that long and seeing that he is not a bred sled dog, she has made the decision to let him go. It was not an easy one to make. She would, before going to bed many nights say, I don't know what to do ma!? And was not a very happy girl. I and her Dad think she made the best decision possible. For herself and for Yukon, (lucky dog!) Whew, now we are all happy. So, as it has been put in replies. She is not dumping Yukon. Sled_dog has, and works with pulling/running huskies. SO WHAT!! Thats one of the things she loves to do. And thats what all of her huskies love to do. You should see them when they see her come walking with the harnesses. It is unreal, how excited they get :) . They are all, each and every one of them her pets. But they all get that training and running time with her. Where as Yukon wants nothing to do with it. She just hates leaving him behind and not including him. So why not put him somewhere she knows he will be having more -one on one- fun time.
And as far as Kodiak, what if he doesn't pull, and getting rid of him. Sled_dog doesn't think that way when she gets a puppy, just as she did not think about when getting Yukon. She gets her Huskies when still pups, as she loves to train them herself. She is a natural. She has been doing this for almost seven years. This is the first husky that has not worked out. Keep in mind. She did rescue him from a shelter, they had husky mix on his record, and he really did look like a husky when a pup. But you can't always go by that. Some rescue shelters are not always right when finding a dog. Believe me, we have our reasons for saying that. He was brought in because somebody found him abandoned on a road. Sled_dog adopted him, yes, hoping to add him to her team and very excited about it. Only to find out that he is not a sled dog but a fun and loving pet. Sled_dog gave him the chance for life and gave him a very good home, taught him everything he knows, well mannered, to trust people, etc. Now he is ready to make someone else very happy.
Okay, if you read this far, hope you have a little more understanding to why sled_dog is getting rid of Yukon. (Not that it should have really mattered to anyone in the first place! ;) ) It is really no big deal. To sum this all up---Before anyone judges any other person, if the thought is needed--you should first know the circumstances and not jump to conclusions so quickly. Sled_dog is absolutely most far from asking anybody for sympathy. I think after reading through this thread. Well, it just made absolutely no sense at all. Could have been avoided all together. After all, it was mainly for introducing Kodiak. Not to scwabble about Yukon. There is nothing wrong with him, he is very happy. So there is no need to feel sorry for him. Thats up to you. Anyways, hope you enjoyed Kodiaks pictures, I know we do at home here. I am sure there will be more. And thanks again, to you all that understood, after this all got started?? :)

One, being someone who is experienced with sled dogs, you should know that this is liable to happen. As such, you should be prepared for when it does happen!

This is a pet web site. Our main concern is for the underdog (no pun intended). She has seen posts, seen replies, made posts, and made replies. She KNEW when she made a post and it involved "oh, this dog isn't good enough for my time right now", or anything to that effect or how you want to paint it to look like, what it was going to cause and provoke.

I fail to see how this has gotten out of hand. This is actually pretty docile compared to some of the arguments that have been on here. :confused:

pitc9
01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
This issue has really gotten out of hand. Surprisingly many of those currently doing rescue; and who of all people should understand the joy and wonderful feeling of accomplishment of placing the perfect dog in the perfect home are the ones who are being closed minded and simply refuse to "get it"!

Closed minded??? :eek:
And just what exactly is there "It Get"?? :confused:
Just because we don't have the same opinion I don't "Get It"?
:rolleyes:
We all have our opinions... we all share them...after all this IS a public board.

No kidding this has gotten out of hand! I guess some people just don't get it!

( ;) :o )

And please excuse me for misinterpreting:
"I got a new puppy!!!! Oh yeah, and I'm finding a new home for one of my other ones"

How long before we find out if this one doesn't cut it??

Husky_mom
01-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I just wanted to add something as wolfsoul and others mentioned before.....

what would be more "right" ? keep Yukon as a "pet dog" and spend all the time with the others sledding, doing agility, school, homework, etc.......and having no more time left for him......

OR, give him a home where he can get the attention needed, not needing to do anything about pulling, running, working, just being a lovable companion.....

not that he is not loved but I think he deserves to have someone that loves him as much and can give him the time......and he wouldnīt be just waiting while the others are having fun or waiting till you can make a break for him........

Itīs sad, and as Karen said, sometimes you love a breed but canīt handle some traits........Iīve met and I myself am a person who love certain breeds but just canīt handle some traits as they donīt meet my lifestyle so why make a dog suffer if I canīt provide.........so if someone has the opportunity to get a dog they love (in this case Yukon) without the normal traits and give that dog the opportunity to get a great home that fits him as well......I think its great......

and because of love I thinks sled_dog is doing this, if she didnīt, Yukon could be another dog at a shelter, but instead he will be going to a loving home where he can blossom as a pet/companion dog. Itīs sad it didnīt worked out but i think itīs fair FOR YUKON to give him this chance of living happy and not being left out.......

JMO

borzoimom
01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
We do not have " valley fever" here, never heard of it- so looked it up if anyone is interested. http://www.bullmastiff.com/mutual/valley%20fever.htm

Ginger's Mom
01-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Okay, now I feel I have to respond. Sled_dog's Mom, I said nothing before because I had a feeling that sled_dog is a juvenile, and not old enough to be responsible for the decisions that she has made; however, you have now inserted yourself and your feelings into this thread. I find I must now respond to your post. I find it disturbing that you would approve of such a throw away attitude that if the dog doesn't do what you had hoped it would do, you no longer have a responsibility to care for it's needs (health, comfort, growth, etc.). I believe when you take in a sentient animal you must be prepared to care for that animal as it is, not just as you wish it would be. To be in the process of re-homing an animal and at the same time take in another animal (a puppy) without any thought, as you said yourself, as to whether it will live up to your expectations and, therefore, no plan to care for and assist the dog if he doesn't is not only irresponsible but sadly uncaring. It's not a matter of being with some of the dogs and not others. It is a matter that you are responsible for the needs of all of the animals, and if you do not have the time/interest/ability/whatever, for that animal, do not bring it home. Sled_dog's Mom, you said getting rid of Yukon has nothing to do with getting puppy, and I believe that is part of the problem. I think the fact that sled_dog was unwilling to make adjustmusts in her schedule that would allow Yukon to grow in your home, shows that another dog needing care that may not fit into her schedule is not a good idea at this time. Where is she going to find time to take care of a puppy if she didn't have the time to care for Yukon?

luvofallhorses
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Where is she going to find time to take care of a puppy if she didn't have the time to care for Yukon?

no kidding! :(

Kfamr
01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Joyce said it perfectly.

Yukon will be in my thoughts, as well as the new puppy, lets hope they both receive a forever home, despite their working abilities or lack of.

Anita Cholaine
01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Sled_Dog's mom, we are a group of people who feel very strongly about pets, so when a thread like this one appears, you can't really expect everyone to just agree. It may be your lifestyle, and yes, you can do whatever you do with it, but dogs are involved here and we do want the best for them.

I don't think there has been any rude response on this thread. Everybody has just expressed their opinions politely, just as you did. This is a public board, you will find people you agree with, and some you don't. I really appreciate that you came here and shared your point of view, but I am one of those who don't agree with your daughter's decision, although I respect it. You can't say that some of what you see here is pathetic or ridiculous, they are our opinions, and you should also respect them.

I hope the best for Yukon and Kodiak, I have nothing else to say here.

Lobodeb
01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
This whole situation is very sad.

Sled_dog's mother:

By posting the info on rehoming Yukon in this thread is asking for opinions. Given that she has 500+ posts leads me to believe that she's been around long enough to know how this forum feels about rehoming. I would agree that sometimes it is a necessary evil, but that's very, very rare. The vast majority of members on this forum would sooner die than the alternative. Those that do rescue probably feel even stronger about it.

I just wish more people had that mentality. Poor Yukon. I don't like to work either, buddy.

applesmom
01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
I just wanted to add something as wolfsoul and others mentioned before.....what would be more "right" ? keep Yukon as a "pet dog" and spend all the time with the others sledding, doing agility, school, homework, etc.......and having no more time left for him......

OR, give him a home where he can get the attention needed, not needing to do anything about pulling, running, working, just being a lovable companion.....

not that he is not loved but I think he deserves to have someone that loves him as much and can give him the time......and he wouldnīt be just waiting while the others are having fun or waiting till you can make a break for him........

Very well said Husky_mom! :)

Animal collectors begin with the attitude that no one can take care of the animals like they can--even though the animals in their care get little to no attention and may even be dirty, hungry sick and dying. It's the same principle to insist that an owner should keep a dog, when that owner knows in their own heart that it would be much better off elsewhere.

Placing Yukon in a carefully chosen new home is not in the same category as turning him over to a breed rescue, dumping him at a shelter or abandoning him somewhere out in the country.

Borzoimom, you took Galina in because you and her breeder both honestly felt that you could provide a better home atmosphere than the one she was in. You're also genuinely thrilled about taking in a breeder return that is being placed because he isn't show quality and the original owners couldn't provide what he needed. What's the difference? :confused:

Just imagine for a moment that Galina's breeder had posted here that she was expecting another litter of puppies and was going to place Galina with you. What would you have to say on this topic then? Or why is it okay for you to take Major, but not okay for Yukon to have the same opportunity?

borzoimom
01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
/applesmom-"You're also genuinely thrilled about taking in a breeder return that is being placed because he isn't show quality and the original owners couldn't provide what he needed. "..//
What breeder return??? What original owners??? You lost me totally...
Except for Femka, the others are all show quality- Hottie being retired. .. YOu lost me..

applesmom
01-10-2007, 02:51 PM
/applesmom-"You're also genuinely thrilled about taking in a breeder return that is being placed because he isn't show quality and the original owners couldn't provide what he needed. "..//
What breeder return??? What original owners??? You lost me totally...
Except for Femka, the others are all show quality- Hottie being retired. .. YOu lost me..

I'm just going by what you said in your original thread about taking Major in. You said then that Major was returned to his breeder because his original owners couldn't keep him. You also said Major isn't show quality and he is neutered. But that didn't matter because you're just going to do obedience with him.

That brings up another question related to this topic. Since you're obviously very excited about showing and breeding borzoi now, would you have taken Galina in if she hadn't been considered to be show quality or worthy of breeding? Or would you have saved that spot for a show quality female?

Lobodeb
01-10-2007, 02:52 PM
That brings up another question related to this topic. Since you're obviously very excited about showing and breeding borzoi now, would you have taken Galina in if she hadn't been considered to be show quality or worthy of breeding? Or would you have saved that spot for a show quality female?

This thread isn't about borzoimom and her dogs. :confused:

applesmom
01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
This thread isn't about borzoimom and her dogs. :confused:

You're right it's not about borzoimom and her dogs. I'm simply asking her opinion because I know her situation the best.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the names of her dogs specifically, but by doing so it provides a reference point for her opinions.

While it might be confusing to others, borzoimom understands why I asked the question. ;)

borzoimom
01-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm just going by what you said in your original thread about taking Major in. You said then that Major was returned to his breeder because his original owners couldn't keep him. You also said Major isn't show quality and he is neutered. But that didn't matter because you're just going to do obedience with him.

Oh I see applesmom- Major and Galina are apples and oranges ( sorry the pun..
Galina was pick bitch of her litter. She was acting shy- it was decided - well maybe if we send her here, she might improve from the lack of dominant bitches- if she doesnt we will spay her. .. Well the other co owner- saw within two weeks not only did she improve- but took Winners Bitch first show out, when previously she cringed on the lead. She then got her TD title. My position was she loved to play with Zubin- she was a show quality bitch, and doing well obviously. When the month was over- it was agreed she stay here.
Major was given up by an idiot owner that had him barely 3 months, didnt feed him well and had no time with young children in the house. Tim took the puppy back- and I wanted an obedience dog- however- because of Hottie and now Zubin, a intact male would not work. Major was already neutered. He has a nice body- but in my judges eye ( herding and terriers) he has a low ear set- although the ears are up now. Having a dog for obedience, neutered early as no threat to my old man Hottie or upcoming Zubin- I agreed to take him..
HOWEVER- if I had not taken Major- he would live out his life with Tim as the previous owners were not providing for him at all.
Galina- well I do not know this answer- lets say she remained shy- and at the end of the month a spay was coming- would she have stayed here??? I can not tell you- that never came up.. More than likely- yes- but hard to say. ....

borzoimom
01-10-2007, 03:09 PM
HOWEVER APPLESMOM- IF Zubin had not worked out for show- he would have stayed with me for his life time- and in Borzois- that is easily 15 years! I bought him for show- but if something had happened or happens- he will live out his life WITH ME!
AND - IF GALINA now comes up she can not show or have pups, she will live with me for life as well! Just like Hottie did, and now femka as well..

GreyhoundGirl
01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Yea, because you know I'd die if I got cut off of Zubin and Galina pics ... They're adorable together! A cute couple if they weren't family :p

applesmom
01-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Thank you, I knew you'd get it! ;)

So we both agree that it was a good thing for both of those dogs to have the opportunity to be re-homed with you as a loving and responsible pet owner? :)

borzoimom
01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
I am sorry applesmom- but the fact is, this whole thread was not presented like " I have a new puppy- here he is".. but rather- well this one wont work " get rid of him".. and being replaced by a dog that is at least AT LEAST 8 months before pullling training can start..
Dogs are NOT disposable- I have two in my house now to prove that.. Even Femka came here as borzois are rare in rescue, with most breeders with years of waiting lists, and with me back to days in work, Hottie needed a companion as well as us wanting another borzoi....
NOTHING on this thread was presented at first of here is a new puppy- it was presented as this one doesnt work- toss him out!
With Galina now offically added into the house, if something happens, she would live here- if I have to make more room for another show bitch- FINE- but she WOULD LIVE HERE! SAme with Zubin- and now coming Feb 10th- SAME WITH MAJOR!

critter crazy
01-10-2007, 03:29 PM
think this is all out of control. What is done is done, and there is nothing that any of us are going to be able to do about it! so coul we pleas just drop all of this???

borzoimom
01-10-2007, 03:32 PM
POOF- DROPPED.. lol.. sorry critt ;) er crazy...

tikeyas_mom
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
think this is all out of control. What is done is done, and there is nothing that any of us are going to be able to do about it! so coul we pleas just drop all of this???

Indeed, If *sled_dog* is keen on getting rid of Yukon and replacing him with this new puppy, none of us here can stop her... Just edjucate her..