PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy + older cats =.......

mr.chiwawa
01-05-2007, 10:47 PM
ok heres the deal I am normally in the dog section but they told me to come over to the kitty section and see what you guys think. So here it goes. I have a 7 month puppy but have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I am currently living at home with my parents and their 3 cats. Big fat happy healthy OLD cats their ages are between 8 and 9. My cat (spunky) who is 9 is the most tolerant of the 3 but whenever the puppy (mister) barks or speaks he just freaks. The other 2 my moms cat (paws) and my dads (chip) want nothing to do with him. And poor chip is almost scarred if him. So I guess what Im asking is how can I help them to be more at peace with one another? Without the fear of the cats sitting on him or smacking him with their paw?
PS the cats weigh around 15-20 pounds and the dog which is just about full grown is 3 pounds.....
Thanks for any or all the help you can give... :D

catmandu
01-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I Think That With Time Those Cats And Dog Will Get Along Well , Once They Learn Each Other Scents. I Think That They Will Become Great Pals, And Soon You Will Have Some Great Togetherness Photos.

Taz_Zoee
01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes, they may eventually get along, but even if they do not become the best of friends they will learn to live with each other. They will learn to tolerate each other.
I moved in with a boyfriend (years ago) with Taz and they had two cats, a mom and her baby. Taz and the baby got along great. The mom and Taz, however, NEVER "got along". They learned to stop growling and hissing at each other, but they were never "buds".
Even now, Zoee and Taz are not best friends (even as I type they are arguing), but they can live together fine.

Catty1
01-06-2007, 07:22 PM
If they sleep in separate areas, you might try switching articles of bedding, so that the cats get used to the dog's scent.

As a temporary measure, you might want to try the dog/cats (ask a vet) on Rescue Remedy or Feliway(for the cats) to calm things down a bit til they get used to each other.

How long have you been back at home?