PDA

View Full Version : license plate vs. license plate sticker

davidpizzica
01-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I got my license plate renewal application in the mail today. You'd think for $35 they would send you a new plate each year! However I live in cheap Pennsylvania and will be getting a plate sticker. Does your state (or province) issue new plates or just plate stickers.

borzoimom
01-05-2007, 02:04 PM
We do plate stickers too, but this year with a new van, I got personalized plates. I tend to make up stupid sentences for the ackronyms like " znc 8888" turns into " zebras not cows"... lol

DrKym
01-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Stickers in Az where we moved from and you keep your plates if you sell your Car. Not sure about Illinois as I haven't even registered the car here yet LOL. Plates are still good from Az and I had just paid 135.00 to register and inspect and blah blah 3 weeks before we moved here :rolleyes: (had we known Jasper would be transferring would have hauled it unregistered and done it all here )

Daisy and Delilah
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
It's stickers here in Florida :)

catlover4ever
01-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Stickers in CT however CT started something new in October. DMV mails you a sticker that you now put on the inside drivers windshield instead of on the back plate....seems too many renewal stickers were being taken off plates and put on unregistered vehicles.

borzoimom
01-05-2007, 02:42 PM
We are getting to that point. Just like in NJ, we will end up with another sticker on the windshield ( already have inspection due month, the county personal property tax stickers- and now this- man I hope we can see out the windshield well enough..)

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
We get new plates, no stickers here!:D

chocolatepuppy
01-05-2007, 02:47 PM
$35 ??? My stickers without plates here in Ohio were about $54.!!! :eek: I got my sticker and my drivers license renewed and it came to $78.50! :(
As for plates or stickers, we have a choice, it's more if you want a new plate. Your plates are not allowed to be all rusty or you have to replace them.

cassiesmom
01-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Not sure about Illinois as I haven't even registered the car here yet LOL.

:mad: In Illinois the registration fee was raised from $48 to $78 in 1999. That gets you a sticker to put on your license plate for current registration. At least we have license plates now that are interesting to look at instead of the old boring blue and white ones. In Indiana they get new ones every couple of years and we rarely do. I had the same car for 9 years and never got new plates, only a new sticker. If you want personalized plates or a special design like the Walter Payton organ donor plate, you can get those for an extra fee.

Husky_mom
01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
lucky you all!!

if not every year at least every goverment change we change our plates for new ones and they are very very pricey around 200-300 dlls depending your car make and model.........also each year Jan. we have to pay for ownership (can think a right term:P) which can go from 200 to 900 depending vehicle......

as for license you can get a 5yr one for around 40.............

I would love to pay what you guys pay haha........

last goverment we changed 3 times the plates :eek:

DrKym
01-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks Cassiesmom! I moved out of Illinois to Az in 96 and back this may so wasn't sure. (can ya tell I have no burning desire to go to DMV either ) LOL :D

Craftlady
01-05-2007, 05:10 PM
We do stickers on our plates for several years until they issue a new plate. In Kentucky you only need a rear plate on the vehicle or truck.

RedHedd
01-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Stickers in CA. The only time I've gotten new plates is with a new car.

kittycats_delight
01-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Neither here. We pay a registration fee every year and it is around 100 euro. But the price you pay depends on your HP.

Sonia59
01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Neither here. We pay a registration fee every year and it is around 100 euro. But the price you pay depends on your HP.

The same here, except that we pay only when we buy it, not every year.

davidpizzica
01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
We do stickers on our plates for several years until they issue a new plate. In Kentucky you only need a rear plate on the vehicle or truck.
Also in Pennsylvania we have one plate, however they make sure they get you on state inspection and emmisions testing!

elizabethann
01-05-2007, 06:38 PM
plate stickers in NH

Twisterdog
01-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Stickers in Wyoming.

You only get new plates here if you get a new car, obviously, or if the state changes the design of the plates every decade or so.

I rather like the sticker idea. Seems to create less waste and garbage to me.

Cataholic
01-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Registration stickers here, AND, for the first time, I was able to renew for TWO whole years!

vinjashira
01-06-2007, 07:40 AM
It's a tax disc here (made of paper) which you pay ever 6/12 months. I believe mine is one of the cheapest, £110/year. So consider yourself lucky for having only to pay $35 David! :)

It's called road fund tax here, so you pay for using the road I suppose...

Pembroke_Corgi
01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
They give you stickers here in Colorado, and in Iowa. I think stickers are much more environmentally friendly and are a great idea!

TFTpwnsYou
01-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Also in Pennsylvania we have one plate, however they make sure they get you on state inspection and emmisions testing!

I'm in PA as well. Gotta love the inspection and emmissions! LOL! I think every state has their way of getting money. I'm originally from WV and you had to pay a property tax on your vehicle every year. Although from some of the pricing for things I'm seeing on here $35 for the sticker and new registration isn't too bad.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-06-2007, 11:39 AM
It's stickers here in Florida :)
To add to that- in Florida we get new plates every so many years (10 maybe?). When we buy a new car we can keep our plates and transfer them to the new car.