PDA

View Full Version : Another irresponsible pet owner....rant

Lobodeb
01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
A few weeks ago, one of my co-workers comes to me and says his daughter wants a dog. He's got twin girls age 8 and 2 boys, age 5 and 3. One of his daughters is terminally ill and on a feeding tube.

I strongly discouraged him from getting a dog because his boys are very young and rambonxious. But if he insisted getting one, I suggested not getting a puppy, but a bigger, larger dog from a shelter that wasn't quite as rowdy, but could handle the boys.

He told me that his daughter found a breeder in Iowa and they were going to go look at the puppy over the weekend. I asked what kind, he said, Maltoodle (Maltese/Poodle) :rolleyes: . I reminded him about shelter dogs or even reputable breeders. I also sent him the website quiz of designer breeds vs. shelter dogs.

Come Monday morning, he told me they put a deposit on the puppy. He said they'd be bringing her home within the next few weeks, that she was too young at the moment. I think she was 9 weeks old at the time. The breeder won't release the puppies until they're 12 weeks old.

Unbeknown st to me, they go get the puppy the following week. He comes into my office and says, "tragedy strikes." He starts telling me that his daughter didn't want to wait a few more weeks so he begged and pleaded with the breeder to let her go, and she does. They go get the puppy, (who according to him, is half the size of her litter mates) and bring her home. They play with her, crate her, then go to bed.

They wake up the next morning to a dead puppy. Hypoglycemic shock. :( Naturally, everyone is devastated. His wife demands that they go get another dog immediately. I again, tried to discourage this, but it doesn't matter. His wife and daughter are on their way. They get a Cocker Spaniel/Beagle mix dog.

Once again, all is fine for 2 or so weeks and he comes into my office Tuesday coughing and hacking all over the place telling me the new puppy has kennel cough and he thinks he has it too (joking). Come to find out, this dog is triggering his asthma. On top of that, the puppy somehow managed to pull out the other girl's feeding tube. They're now looking to re-home this poor dog.

It just kills me how someone so intelligent (he has his Ph.D. in psychology) can be so stupid!

Poor doggies.

Edited to correct spelling.

kimlovescats
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
First of all the "breeder" wasn't very reputable to send a puppy home that young!!! :mad: Secondly, this man has a lousy sense of "humor"!!! :( :mad:

ramanth
01-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Oh man. :( I am so sorry you have to deal with this coworker. I'd be fit to be tied. :mad: :(

Dorothy39
01-05-2007, 03:10 PM
He doesn't sound like he's using his sense of Logic~ :eek:

Sorry that you had to Hear all about this from a co-worker wearing blinders~

That's Story is sooo sad~ All of it!!!!

Flatcoatluver
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Wow this is so horrible....I just don't know what to type. :mad:

animal_rescue
01-05-2007, 03:20 PM
OMG that's horrible!! :mad:

Daisy and Delilah
01-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Grrrrrrrrr......... What else can I say?? :mad: :(

elizabethann
01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
RIP poor puppy. And please God, take care of the new puppy.

GreyhoundGirl
01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
:eek: I honestly can't fit words to thoughts. I'm sorry. There are no words to describe this.

Other than :eek: :( and :mad:

Catty1
01-05-2007, 07:08 PM
I wish someone had neutered HIM!

Maybe put out an email to all breeders and shelters? Not to accuse, but just tell them what you told us, so they can look out for him.

Might save another puppy's life!

jennielynn1970
01-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I wish someone had neutered HIM!

Maybe put out an email to all breeders and shelters? Not to accuse, but just tell them what you told us, so they can look out for him.

Might save another puppy's life!

both of the shelters that I volunteer with have DNA lists (Do Not Adopt) or Black lists. It lists the person, their address, the phone number, and the reason why they should not be pet owners.

I'd also tell the person that to be totally honest with him, you don't think he's acting as a responsible pet owner, and that you'd rather not hear of his mistreatment and neglect of future pets. Nasty, but god, he needs to get a clue that these are living creatures and not just something for our amusement and to "look cute".

applesmom
01-05-2007, 11:52 PM
That's just so sad! :eek:

Chilli
01-06-2007, 10:29 AM
This is so so so sad. :(
Some people don't even deserve to be owned by dogs.. and this guy is obviouslly one of them.
I sure do hope the poor pup finds a home way better than its current one.

TFTpwnsYou
01-06-2007, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Lobodeb]

It just kills me how someone so intelligent (he has his Ph.D. in psychology) can be so stupid!

QUOTE]

I agree. In a way it seems to happen a lot. These people that are so smart have like no common knowledge at all. It happens. I just feel bad for the animals it happens to. They aren't asking for it. I don't know why he'd even want to consider a puppy with 2 young boys, 2 girls, and one is on a feeding tube. To me that would be biting off a little more than I could chew.

borzoimom
01-06-2007, 10:46 AM
:eek: I honestly can't fit words to thoughts. I'm sorry. There are no words to describe this.

Other than :eek: :( and :mad:
You got it greyhoundgirl!!! My expressions exactly!