PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing from eBay....

BC_MoM
01-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I have purchased twice before on eBay, and have never had to visited any off-of-eBay sites to confirm a purchase.

I won an Eragon poster, and made sure everything was legit. I then was automatically emailed and email saying to confirm my purchase and the item will be on the way but it isn't a website from eBay, asking for my shipping address and asking how I will be paying (money order).

I'm a little hesitant to fill it out.

KitCat
01-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Seems like a trick to me!

DrKym
01-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I buy and sell on Ebay if it doesnt say ebay on the return addy copy/paste to ebays customer service and dont fill oput any info

BC_MoM
01-05-2007, 12:30 PM
The site is www.channeladvisor.com, if you want to look at it.

Dang, I really want this poster.. :(

DrKym
01-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Looks like a fraud to get you to sign up with something else....Ebay doesn't do that. Whomever is the account holder at Ebay that sent it can have the account suspended for foolishness like that. Sorry, but in 5 years I have never seen any of us able to redirect you in order to claim a gift from an ebay store or to redirect you on winning auction purchase. I would definitely send the link and a copy of the email to Ebay though, if they are allowing it they will email you back and if not they may send you a voucher for use on the site.

BC_MoM
01-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Thank you very much!!! :D

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Do not ever answer any e-mails like this!! It is a way to get your info!! if there is a problem with your purchase, the same e-mail will be in your E-bay account!! Never trust Those e-mails!! My hubby learned this the Hard way!!!

Blue_Frog
01-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah, it certainly sounds like a scam - i'd consider reporting them to the fraud division with Ebay as well - and not feeling comfortable about a transaction is usually a gut sign that something isn't quite right. :(

Heres some information from the Ebay Security center -- http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/mrkt_safety.html

Edit:
From that site -

Off eBay Web Site
Stay safe -- Always remember to complete your transaction on eBay--it's the safer way to trade with others.
Trade safely by remaining on the eBay Web site to complete your transaction. eBay's rules prohibit use of our system to solicit others to buy or sell items "off eBay." We strongly advise recipients of these email solicitations to report the senders to eBay Customer Support. Participants in "off eBay" transactions aren't able to use eBay feedback or buyer protection programs if a problem arises.
It sounds like the seller may be breaking the Ebay Terms of Service.

chocolatepuppy
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I've bought and sold a lot on ebay, never heard of that. I wouldn't send them any info. Email ebay with the link, ask them if it's legit and they will answer your email within 48 hours.
Ebay never sends you email and asks you for info, they direct you back to ebay. I have got plenty of spoof emails and turned them into ebay. They look like ebay sent them but my first clue was when they asked for info on the email. ;)

BC_MoM
01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Thank you very much everyone. I reported it to eBay. :)

Lobodeb
01-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I've dealt with some stores who have asked you to fill out their shipping info in their system. I would just e-mail the seller to see if they are the one who sent you that e-mail.