PDA

View Full Version : Loose = Not Tight

RedHedd
01-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Please people lose the extra "O"! The word is NOT loose as in "I need to loose weight" (sic) :rolleyes: Please LOSE THE EXTRA O and you will have the correct word - LOSE! thank you! Rant over! :mad: :p

Daisy and Delilah
01-05-2007, 10:50 AM
I agree!! This seems to be a national trend lately. Even my daughter used it incorrectly the other day in an email to me :confused: Where did this come from?

ramanth
01-05-2007, 11:01 AM
My big pet peeve is bad grammar all around. The occasional misspelled word doesn't bother me because I've been guilty of it. It's the run on sentences, Leet speak, and misuse or lack of puncuation that kills me.

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
You know I can see how spelling can bother people when it is done wrong on something important, but I cannot see why spelling and grammar is such a huge deal on an online Forum! I drives me nuts, that it bothers so many of you! most of us are here because we love our animals, and also to unwind from our daily duties. So if i spell something wrong, i dont realy see why it matters! I shouldnt have to spend extra time making sure my grammer and spelling are correct here, when i have to worry about it so much, on more important things! This is my free time, i dont want to have to worry about anything, except my animals, and my family/friends.

Cinder & Smoke
01-05-2007, 11:28 AM
The word is NOT loose as in "I need to loose weight" (sic) http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif
Please, LOSE THE EXTRA O and you will have the correct word - LOSE!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Don't care what ya say - it Lhttp://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gifhttp://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gifKS Wrong with only one lonely lil "O"!

And it's pronounced with the same Double-O as "Loose = Not Tight" ...

Maybe we otta change the "Lose Weight" Lose to LooZe ! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

:confused:

"... Leet speak ..."

I'm prolly "dating" myself ...

But what the heck is "Leet speak" ???

:rolleyes:

Daisy and Delilah
01-05-2007, 11:36 AM
You know I can see how spelling can bother people when it is done wrong on something important, but I cannot see why spelling and grammar is such a huge deal on an online Forum! I drives me nuts, that it bothers so many of you! most of us are here because we love our animals, and also to unwind from our daily duties. So if i spell something wrong, i dont realy see why it matters! I shouldnt have to spend extra time making sure my grammer and spelling are correct here, when i have to worry about it so much, on more important things! This is my free time, i dont want to have to worry about anything, except my animals, and my family/friends.

I suppose it comes from being the age I am and the way I was taught in school. When I went to school, spelling was a huge deal and I am personally a stickler for good spelling. On the other hand, my grammar is terrible so I guess people probably don't like that.

I don't care if people make errors because everyone can't be the perfect speller or speaker or anything else. I certainly know I'm not perfect. I just have trouble handling the fact that some people seem to be trying to change the original English language. I mean no offense to anyone :)

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I suppose it comes from being the age I am and the way I was taught in school. When I went to school, spelling was a huge deal and I am personally a stickler for good spelling. On the other hand, my grammar is terrible so I guess people probably don't like that.

I don't care if people make errors because everyone can't be the perfect speller or speaker or anything else. I certainly know I'm not perfect. I just have trouble handling the fact that some people seem to be trying to change the original English language. I mean no offense to anyone :)

I understand that there is alot of people that seem to be trying to change the english language, especially more towards slang. I understand perfectly what you mean. But there have been many times onthis froum where people have been told that they spelled something wrong, or that they used run-on sentences and such. I just dont think it is anyones place to do this here.

Randi
01-05-2007, 11:55 AM
This is interesting, I have also always mixed up loose and lose. :rolleyes: I agree with Phred though - lose does look wrong. However, you're right RedHedd, I just looked it up and found several sentences using these two words.

Loose, as in let loose, break loose, loose ends, loosen up etc.

Lose, as in lose the train, lose patience, lose one's way, be a good loser etc.

Hmm, I'll probably have to look this up now and again. ;)

Well, concerning the bad written posts (grammer and spelling), we can at least sometimes see from title whether we will bother to open it, as the title often has mistakes too.

Lobodeb
01-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Then I'm dating myself, too. What's "leet speak?"

The one I always get mixed up is, "its" and "it's."

ramanth
01-05-2007, 12:23 PM

Leet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leet (often written in Leet as 1337) is a sociolect variety used primarily on the Internet, particularly in online games. The term itself is derived from the word Elite, meaning “better than the rest,” and generally has the same meaning when referring to the hacking skills of another person.

Leet can be defined as the perturbation or modification of written text. For example, the term leet itself is often written l33t, or 1337, and many other variations.

Things like 'pwn' instead of 'own' and shortcuts for words such as 'u r' instead of 'you are' are examples of leet speak or chatroom lingo.

My peeve with it critter crazy is just basically trying to understand a post. I'm not going to spend hours trying to disect someone's post when it's a paragraph long with no breaks and no basic sentence structure.

Won't read it, won't reply. Simple as that. So people can type whatever they want, but they can't expect me to read it either.

I do understand that we have several members from other countries, but half the time their use of the English language is better than most American users.

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Leet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leet (often written in Leet as 1337) is a sociolect variety used primarily on the Internet, particularly in online games. The term itself is derived from the word Elite, meaning “better than the rest,” and generally has the same meaning when referring to the hacking skills of another person.

Leet can be defined as the perturbation or modification of written text. For example, the term leet itself is often written l33t, or 1337, and many other variations.

Things like 'pwn' instead of 'own' and shortcuts for words such as 'u r' instead of 'you are' are examples of leet speak or chatroom lingo.

My peeve with it critter crazy is just basically trying to understand a post. I'm not going to spend hours trying to disect someone's post when it's a paragraph long with no breaks and no basic sentence structure.

Won't read it, won't reply. Simple as that. So people can type whatever they want, but they can't expect me to read it either.

I do understand that we have several members from other countries, but half the time their use of the English language is better than most American users.

well that is your choice, but you do not have to make peole feel like crap, just because you dont like the way they spell!! I admit that i can get confused by the way peolple write too, but i am not going to just dismiss there question/problem because there grammar and spelling is wrong!! That is just rude!!

For example: someone is upset cause their dog ran away, are you going to dismiss that thread becaus they spelled something wrong or had a page long paragraph, because they wrote the thread while they were upset???

Randi
01-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I figure I might as well make an effort to write correct(ly), so that other people can understand what I mean - AND, equally important, if I get a job where I have to write in English, I'll probably keep the job longer. :D

ramanth
01-05-2007, 12:43 PM
For example: someone is upset cause their dog ran away, are you going to dismiss that thread becaus they spelled something wrong or had a page long paragraph, because they wrote the thread while they were upset???

The whole point of this thread is to rant. You don't have to read it. :)

And yes, if I can't understand the subject of someone's post, I won't reply. It's not that I mean no disrespect if like you say, their dog ran away. But if I can't readily tell that's what the post is about, I won't reply.

Karen
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
well that is your choice, but you do not have to make peole feel like crap, just because you dont like the way they spell!! I admit that i can get confused by the way peolple write too, but i am not going to just dismiss there question/problem because there grammar and spelling is wrong!! That is just rude!!

No, we would not denigrate someone for making mistakes when upset, but asking you, in the course of your normal posts, to pay attention to things like punctuation and grammar is not done in a spirit of meanness. I ask that people at least make some effort in spelling and grammar out of common courtesy for people trying to read and understand their posts.

The issue of hugely long paragraphs is legitimate - it actually makes it physically painful for people to read, so they will often give up partway through. The eye needs visual cues - and white space - to help it process information. I'm not making this up, it's a scientifically proven fact.

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 12:50 PM
No, we would not denigrate someone for making mistakes when upset, but asking you, in the course of your normal posts, to pay attention to things like punctuation and grammar is not done in a spirit of meanness. I ask that people at least make some effort in spelling and grammar out of common sourtesty for people trying to read and understand their posts.

The issue of hugelyly long paragraphs is legitimate - it actually makes it physically painful for people to read, so they will often give up partway through. The eye needs visual cues - and white space - to help it process information. I'm not making this up, it's a scientifically proven fact.

Oh yes Karen I understand, and yes it bothers me too. But some people cant help it! Like for instance my mother is Dyslexic, and i am not about to comment about how she spells or wtites, all i am saying is that it does hurt some peoples feelings.

I do my best to spell correctly and such, but sometimes you just dont notice. and many times i have to go back and edit my post.

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
The whole point of this thread is to rant. You don't have to read it. :)

And yes, if I can't understand the subject of someone's post, I won't reply. It's not that I mean no disrespect if like you say, their dog ran away. But if I can't readily tell that's what the post is about, I won't reply.

so you are going to dismiss somenes thread becaus ethey were under diress and were emotional.

I understand i dont have to read this post, but i am. and I am enjoying understanding what is imortant to some people.

RedHedd
01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
And it's pronounced with the same Double-O as "Loose = Not Tight" ... No they're not -

Loose = loose [ looss ]

Lose = lose [ looz ] (past and past participle lost [ lawst, lost ], present participle los·ing, 3rd person present singular los·es)

ramanth
01-05-2007, 01:20 PM
so you are going to dismiss somenes thread becaus ethey were under diress and were emotional.

I understand i dont have to read this post, but i am. and I am enjoying understanding what is imortant to some people.
I think dismiss is a bit harsh of a word. There are literally hundreds of threads. Because I only reply to the ones that interest me am I looked at as being rude to the rest? I can't spend all my time on here reading every single post.

I click on a subject title and if I can't understand what the post is about, I move on. It rarely happens though. Many times I can get the gist of an "emotional" post and can simply reply with an "I'm sorry", but can't go into much more detail than that.

Cinder & Smoke
01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
:eek:

No they're not -

Loose = loose [ looss ]

Lose = lose [ looz ]
(past and past participle lost [ lawst, lost ],
present participle los·ing,
3rd person present singular los·es)

My fix:

The dog is lo??? ... Becomes "The dog is running at large."

My screws are lo??? ... Becomes "My screws are not tight."

I need to lo??? some weight ... Becomes "I need to shed some pounds."

More than one way around the block!

:p

Daisy and Delilah
01-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Phred, you're a major hoot and a very clever fella!!! :)

RedHedd
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Loose = Hard S. Prounounced like "Luce"

Lose = Soft S or Z-like sound - Looz.

Sorry I started this, but it's one spelling error that just makes me cuckoo! :p

DrKym
01-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Either way it is spelled here on the forum Nutrisystem and I have teamed up this new year to lose part of the cushioning I am currently resting upon............... :D

Prairie Purrs
01-05-2007, 02:29 PM
We write in order to communicate. The reason that each language has a set of rules (spelling and grammar) is to facilitate communication. If every person wrote in his or her own made-up language, communication would be difficult or impossible.

Now, I suppose that if someone is using language as an abstract art form, that person wouldn't care much about the communication angle. But I haven't seen any posts here that appear to be intended as experimental prose poetry.

Karen's right--it's common courtesy to make some effort to use correct spelling and grammar. Nobody expects perfection, and I think people here are more than willing to make substantial allowances for those with language difficulties of any kind (although, as has been noted, members for whom English is a second language generally put us native speakers to shame).

Also, keep in mind that good writing habits aren't something that a person can easily switch on and off. If you don't know how to spell a word when using it online, how are you going to know how to spell it when filling out college or job applications? And if you have someone else correct (or write) your application, what are you going to do when you have to write an essay exam or a business letter?

I work in a writing/editorial position for a company that hires many writers/editors. I'm astounded that many people who apply for those positions submit resumes that contain spelling errors. And no, they don't get hired.

K9soul
01-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, this won't help in situations such as "loose" vs "lose," but if you use the newest edition of Firefox as a web browser it has an automatic spell check that works when you post on boards or in e-mails, etc. If you misspell a word it will put a little red line under it. If you right click the underlined word it will give you suggestions on the correct spelling, you can highlight the one you want, and voila, it changes the word to the correct spelling. It is very handy :). Anyone interested can get it free here, it has a lot of nice features. I can't stand to use explorer anymore after having Firefox for awhile.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Also, critter crazy, Kimmy is one of the kindest and most compassionate people I have encountered on PT. I don't believe she reads a thread and then deliberately ignores it when a couple words are typed wrong. I believe she does what I do, and that is with my time very limited I stick to topics that jump out at me and posts that are easy to understand. I may have a couple minutes to sit and glance over posts, but not 10-20 minutes to try to decode and decipher a big block paragraph with no punctuation and horrid spelling all the way through. If a post is easy to read and understand I'm more likely to read that one all the way through and perhaps reply. Not because I'm being cold and callous and deliberately ignoring someone because they don't type the way I think they should. If I am sitting around with nothing much to do I may take the time to try to read posts like that, however most the time I simply don't have the time. If people will put a bit more effort into their posts they may get more response than they would otherwise for these reasons. I hope that makes sense.

ramanth
01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
You are too kind Jess. :)

And your post was worded far more eloquently than mine. :)

Rachel
01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
I think the problem with lose being spelled loose so frequently comes from choose being pronounced to rhyme with lose, not loose.

Even though I agree with all those who encourage us to be good spellers and to use correct grammar here as well as everywhere we write, it is also a good idea to be gentle with those of us for whom that doesn't come easily.....or I'll have to get out my red pen. :p

critter crazy
01-05-2007, 03:25 PM
All I was sayimg was that a thread should not be ignored solely on its grammar/spelling. I only relply to threads that i am interested in as well, but i dont ignore threads just because they are incorrect. I was only trying to say that some people cannot help it.

GreyhoundGirl
01-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Thank you for making this. Not because I'm bothered by it. Just because I was writing a post and thought about this thread. That saved me from a mistake! lol :o

GreyhoundGirl
01-05-2007, 03:35 PM
My spelling/grammer pet peeve is extra aphostrophies. (now, doesn't that sound wonderful, a spelling pet peeve and I can't even spell it correctly. :o )

Like this

Hope you enjoy this gift,
With love from the Smith's.

RedHedd
01-05-2007, 03:38 PM
but if you use the newest edition of Firefox as a web browser it has an automatic spell check that works when you post on boards or in e-mails, etc. If you misspell a word it will put a little red line under it. If you right click the underlined word it will give you suggestions on the correct spelling, you can highlight the one you want, and viola, it changes the word to the correct spelling. It is very handy :). ... I hope that makes sense. Made perfect sense. I use MSIE with ieSpell - a free spell checker available at iespell.com. I write legal documents for a living and am constantly proofreading legal documents that others write. I was just talking to an attorney friend last night who was considering going into partnership with another attorney and was asking me how to handle turning him down politely because his work-product was so poorly written. A well-seasoned attorney should know correct spelling, grammar and formatting of legal documents, but this guy didn't.

So what we learn here can and does carry over into our "real" lives.

Toby's my baby
01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah, bad grammer bugs me too. Like when people can't get their "there" or "their" and "where" "wear" and "were" ugg... :o Lol.

Our teacher brought up in class the other day that someone spelt "high school" like this: hi skool On a paper, for class to be handed in and it's HALF our grade! :eek: My goodness...you'd think they could spell it by now...

Kfamr
01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I often ignore threads that have no paragraphs. I can understand if someone is frantic or in a hurry. However, please be considerate of others when typing out stories or long posts.

One of the most annoying mistakes I see often on Pet Talk is "exited." Your dog is not "exited" - He/she is exCited. It is not hard to use a spell check or dictionary.

CathyBogart
01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Loose vs lose is one of those that makes me grit my teeth, like misplaced apostraphes. "I love my dog's." You love your dog's what?

While I won't dismiss a post because of a few errors, if I have trouble understanding it or I find myself faced with a giant wall of text, I won't read it. Unless the person is a non-native english speaker, they have probably had the schooling in the english language to put something legible together. For a non-native emglish speaker, I will put in extra effort to read their posts.

Karen brought up a good point though, walls of text actually give me headaches if I try to read them, even by highlighting a little at a time.

cyber-sibes
01-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh dear... :o I appologise for using the wrong word about wanting to shed some pounds! (as Phred put it) I know I'm guilty. ;)

Same here regarding long un-punctuated posts filled with misspellings.... :eek: .
I figure, if it's important enough to post, it should be important enough to take a few extra minutes to make it legible.

Doesn't have to be perfect - everyone types a wrong letter now & then (except for our proofreaders ;) ), but too often it appears someone just doesn't really care if anyone can read it. They must be typing as fast as they can just to get it off their chest. It actually worries me that so many people let spelling & grammar slide on the internet. OK, end of rant.

CathyBogart
01-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I wanted to add that even though certain errors in particular make me grind my teeth.....that's my problem, not enyone else's. I'll still read and reply to the post. :)

DrKym
01-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, bad grammer bugs me too. Like when people can't get their "there" or "their" and "where" "wear" and "were" ugg... Lol.

Our teacher brought up in class the other day that someone spelt "high school" like this: hi skool On a paper, for class to be handed in and it's HALF our grade! My goodness...you'd think they could spell it by now...
__________________Beth not to be picky ........
grammer is spelled Grammar . No word is actually spelt they are all spelled out.
Wear where and ware are often misused, but were is an entirely different word!

LOL just to point out , No one is perfect, but the general gist of the thread I agree with. ;)

Twisterdog
01-06-2007, 02:58 AM
We write in order to communicate. The reason that each language has a set of rules (spelling and grammar) is to facilitate communication. If every person wrote in his or her own made-up language, communication would be difficult or impossible.

Now, I suppose that if someone is using language as an abstract art form, that person wouldn't care much about the communication angle. But I haven't seen any posts here that appear to be intended as experimental prose poetry.

Karen's right--it's common courtesy to make some effort to use correct spelling and grammar. Nobody expects perfection, and I think people here are more than willing to make substantial allowances for those with language difficulties of any kind (although, as has been noted, members for whom English is a second language generally put us native speakers to shame).

Also, keep in mind that good writing habits aren't something that a person can easily switch on and off. If you don't know how to spell a word when using it online, how are you going to know how to spell it when filling out college or job applications? And if you have someone else correct (or write) your application, what are you going to do when you have to write an essay exam or a business letter?

I work in a writing/editorial position for a company that hires many writers/editors. I'm astounded that many people who apply for those positions submit resumes that contain spelling errors. And no, they don't get hired.

Agreed, 100%!

momoffuzzyfaces
01-06-2007, 01:27 PM
U should all be gratefull u don't live in the time before there were grammer rules. The time when any buddy could spell any word any way thay wanted 2! ;)

With my blood pressure way out of control and being in constant pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia, I don't always take the time to worry about little things like grammer or spelling. I worry about being able to stand up and move around. Sorry to those I offend! :)

G535
01-06-2007, 04:05 PM
U should all be gratefull u don't live in the time before there were grammer rules. The time when any buddy could spell any word any way thay wanted 2! ;)

With my blood pressure way out of control and being in constant pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia, I don't always take the time to worry about little things like grammer or spelling. I worry about being able to stand up and move around. Sorry to those I offend! :)

So true, I completely understand the arthritis as I have it too, don't know anything about the fibro thingie though.

Every few months it seems someone starts one of these useless spelling/grammar threads.

Miss Z
01-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree that if people want their posts to be read, influence people etc, then they need to make the effort of making their posts clear. Using a spell checking website or dictionary is not rocket science, or it's easy enough to add (sp?) to the end of a word that you aren't sure is spelled correctly. Sure, we don't all have PhDs in English, but we can all try to be understood!

dogzr#1
01-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I am probably guilty of getting them mixed up myself! While reading this thread, I kept on mispronouncing "lose" and "loose" and getting them mixed up! I also tend to mix up the "its" and "it's".

But I agree, bad grammar and spelling is a pet peeve of mine. I may not have perfect spelling, but I do try to make my paragraphs legible. (for lack of better word. I can't quite think of a word that means "easy to read" other than legible. XD) I am part of MANY other forums, and it just bugs me to no end when I see somebody "tlk liek dis". Most of the time, I PM them and ask them to proofread their posts or something. And it's kind of sad when they respond "But I'm only 14! I'm not good at spelling" or something of the like. *sigh* What is this world coming to, as far as good grammar and spelling goes.

catnapper
01-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Ah, the easy way to remember:
Lose is derived from LOST. One o in lost. One o in lose.

Loose.... something has too much room

Sonia59
01-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Sorry I started this, but it's one spelling error that just makes me cuckoo! :p

Don't apologise, it's interesting at least for some of us! I thought that LOSE was a mistake :D and I was 100% sure that I learned it as LOOSE (I mean the LOSE derived from Lost, not the LOOSE=not tight)! I am happy from what I learned today :)
I am sure I make many mistakes myself as English is a foreign language for me, but I like learning and improving ;)

If you go to French forums the number of mistakes that are made is amazing :eek: I did not realize that so many people were writing so bad. In comparison the global level on PT is very good.

CathyBogart
01-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Can I out a hinge in my skull so I can open it up and loose my mind from time to time? I don't think it gets enough exercise! ;)

Once I was having a conversation about grammar and word usage iwh a co-worker, and a customer chimed in to tell us that his boss had once said "verticalization" because he was too embarassed to use the word "erection" in reference to the construction of a building. 0_0

RedHedd
01-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Once I was having a conversation about grammar and word usage iwh a co-worker, and a customer chimed in to tell us that his boss had once said "verticalization" because he was too embarassed to use the word "erection" in reference to the construction of a building. 0_0

I think that's a new trend - turning nouns into verbs; i.e., having a conversation becomes "conversate" and the like :rolleyes: drives me batty!

TamanduaGirl
01-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Things like 'pwn' instead of 'own' and shortcuts

Wow I do that all the time as a legitimate mistake due to the two letters being right next to each other. Can't see anyone doing it on purpose. I get B's and M's mixed up too but did that way before I started typing. I'd write them mixed up for each other or a B that had fallen over on it's side so sort of an m ect. But I'm dyslexic so these things happen. Then there's space where they shouldn't be like over ron :P which I did but fixed earlier.

It actually gets worse as I get older because I have hypoglycemia and when ever the blood sugar drops below a certain point it kills brain cells. I plan to train a service animal sometime to detect when my blood sugar drops hopefully before it goes to a damaging point. Hyzzie has actually showed promise and alerted but due to her horrible past and baggage she could never make it as a service dog. I'm just not in a place that it's phesable yet but I will do it some day.

Kind of off topic but sometimes there's reasons for poor grammar and spelling. One of my best online friends has the worst spelling and grammar one has ever encountered but he's really smart and creative but most wont have anything to do with him because he doesn't type/spell well. He has legitamate reasons for it as well and can't help it. It's so bad spell checks do not help him but i'm finding the new spell check with fire fox to be nice now that it works for me :)

sprokett
02-10-2007, 03:31 PM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Don't care what ya say - it Lhttp://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gifhttp://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gifKS Wrong with only one lonely lil "O"!

And it's pronounced with the same Double-O as "Loose = Not Tight" ...

Maybe we otta change the "Lose Weight" Lose to LooZe ! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

i AGREE completely

CathyBogart
02-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I have a spelling checker.
It came with my pea sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when I rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's Hour
spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flair,
Their are no fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a ware.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays,
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting too pleas.

-- Sauce Unknown

cyber-sibes
02-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Ah, the easy way to remember:
Lose is derived from LOST. One o in lost. One o in lose.

Loose.... something has too much room I memorized this little ditty and my threads have all been correct ever since! I'm so proud of myself! :D
No point to my comments, except to say "Thanks again catnapper & PT, for making me a better person!"
(BTW, Cathy, that poem is really cute!)

RedHedd
02-16-2007, 01:54 PM
-- Sauce Unknown :D I've seen that one before. I actually had a very hard time trying to figure out what it was saying and had to read that VERY slowly :D

My latest "rant" is .... 'noone' as frequently used when the writer intends to write "no one." It IS two words; there is no such word as noone, unless it's a person's last name. :rolleyes:

catnapper
03-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Digging up this thread because I've seen something a lot lately: "Prolly". What is that? I'm assuming its supposed to be "probably" but spelled wrong? Or is it spelled cute, like I say "the bestest meowmie in the world" I know bestest isn't a real word, but its cute.

Soooo... is probably another murdered word where they spell it like they say it (though I actually DO say probably) :D

RedHedd
03-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I've seen that one too. I think a lot of these "shortcuts" are coming from text messaging - like the lack of apostrophes in contractions and possessives. I can understand using the shortcuts when you're text messaging (although I don't use them when texting and think it's just plain lazy), but when writing to a message board for everyone on the Internet to see, spelling the complete words out correctly is just good manners IMHO.

AvaJoy
03-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't peruse many threads due to time contraints, but apparently spelling and grammar errors run rampant.

When I do post, I pride myself on attempting to use proper grammar, and refrain from the popular abbreviations, i.e. IMHO (gee . . . might you be expressing someone ELSE'S opinion, other than your own?? So unnecessary! :rolleyes: )

I do tend to use " . . . " just to convey my continuity of thought; lazy, and probably incorrect, no doubt. And I am also guilty of not paragraphing as I should. :eek:

Not everyone has as an ability to express themselves in writing, and I do not dismiss a posting because there are blatant errors.

As long as the heart is in the right place, even if an apostrophe is not, I can overlook and still relate.

This is an informal pet talk forum where all should feel free to contribute as best they can; not English 101.

Denyce
03-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I find some words to be just laziness. Prolly is one of them. I detest prolly. I have heard people use it when speaking. Another is "slippy". I heard that horrid word by a newscaster when she was discussing the condition of a parking lot. She said it was SLIPPY. I about choked on my drink.

Denyce

Killearn Kitties
03-05-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure that I have ever posted on one of these threads before (although there are a few posting habits that make me grind my teeth) but I had to comment on "slippy". What's wrong with it? :D I have always said slippy. That has been a perfectly reasonable word to use my whole life. Is it new to you, Denyce? Do you think os it as an abbreviation of slippery?

Edwina's Secretary
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure that I have ever posted on one of these threads before (although there are a few posting habits that make me grind my teeth) but I had to comment on "slippy". What's wrong with it? :D I have always said slippy. That has been a perfectly reasonable word to use my whole life. Is it new to you, Denyce? Do you think os it as an abbreviation of slippery?

Two countries separated by a common language....

This is the first time in my life I have ever seen (or heard) the word "slippy"!

Does it mean the same as "slippery"?

JenBKR
03-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Funny Karen, I always thought that 'slippy' was native to western Pennsylvania. You hear it quite a bit around here. And to those who have never heard it before, it does mean slippery :D

Killearn Kitties
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Funny Karen, I always thought that 'slippy' was native to western Pennsylvania.
Perhaps that explains it, since so many Scots settled in Pennsylvania.

JenBKR
03-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Perhaps that explains it, since so many Scots settled in Pennsylvania.

I bet you're right - I have a lot of Scotish blood in me. And, there are still lots of other decendants of Scots here too. Funny how something like that would carry over and stick, several hundred years later!

Denyce
03-06-2007, 10:47 AM
That is what I had assumed it to be is a lazy version of slippery. I had never heard it until I moved to PA. The same with prolly. They just bother me..*shrug* How much more difficult is it to say slippery or probably.

But then I had never thought it to be a slang from another country but then again it is still english therefore it is still just a lazy slang.

It also bugs me that a friend of mine can't seem to use our whole names. I am Den and my husband is Bri. :rolleyes: :D

But...when all is said or done in the long run...who cares...it is all pretty unimportant. I just wouldn't ever say it myself.