PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Slushie" in the Boston area??

LoudLou
01-05-2007, 09:04 AM
My husband is from Boston, MA and he keeps talking about "Slushies".
He says they are not Slurpees. They are not Slush Puppies, nor are they Icee's.
He says they were something you mostly got at a neighboorhood store and came in usually in a five gallon tub, and only a few flavors. Most common on the "Northshore". He's having a very hard time explaining to me WHAT they are.

So my question is "WHAT is a Slushie?" and "HOW is a Boston slushie from the Northshore different?"

Cataholic
01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I think your husband has brain freeze from drinking to many slushies.

The only difference I can think of is that icees and slurpees are VERY finely blended, where a slushie is more coarsely blended.

As an aside....though I did not live in Boston, I did live in Worcester for four years, and I just don't recall any significant discussion about this...he he he.

gini
01-05-2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.glacierware.com/slushmug.htm?gclid=CPLv-YfTyYkCFShCYwodO3plJw

Try reading this site - it more or less explains what you are talking about.

LoudLou
01-05-2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.glacierware.com/slushmug.htm?gclid=CPLv-YfTyYkCFShCYwodO3plJw

Try reading this site - it more or less explains what you are talking about.

Thanks Gini. I showed that to him last night and he said that's not quite it... I'm beginning to think maybe Jo's right and it IS BRAIN FREEZE! ;)

GreyhoundGirl
01-05-2007, 03:36 PM
lol- I thought they were all the same thing. :p

QueenScoopalot
01-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Hmmm...I'm not real big on sugar saturated ice drinks (water all Summer thanks), but Slushies that I know about are made in a machine and come in many flavors like watermelon, lemon, raspberry etc. They come with a straw that is part spoon if you can picture that! Widened at the bottom so you can scoop the slush out as it thaws some. It is as it sounds..slushie! (Yup..I'm from the 'Bahsten' area, Northshore too) ;)
Edit: Sold at vendor stands at the Revere Flea Market, and many stores like 7-11 & Richdale etc. too. ;) I love the watermelon slushies on a beastly hot day. Are these what your hubby recalls? :confused:

kimboe
01-06-2007, 03:57 AM
MMMMmmmm...I love slushies on a hot summer day. :cool: They are just so darn good..thinking of lime flavor.... :D
It is a fine blended ice.

areias
01-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Hmmm...I'm originally from MA (though not boston) but I can't really think of what hes talking about. He's not thinking of sherbert is he? Like, the fruity ice cream in the big tubs?

GreyhoundGirl
01-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Adding another name: around here most of the time they're called frosters. :p

pitc9
01-06-2007, 09:41 AM
ummm... yeah I vote for the brainfreeze too!

I thought they were all the same thing!

Tiny pieces of ice with flavors.... :confused:

Pembroke_Corgi
01-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Is it more like a snow cone? Goodness, I would never imagine there are so many ways to blend ice with artificial flavoring. :p

Karen
01-06-2007, 10:26 AM
YEah, slushies are finer-grained and icier than slurpees - less liquid - but only crazy people (who are inviting brain freeze) get the 5-gallon bucket!