PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions...

wolfsoul
01-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure out my next move in breeding. I keep changing my mind.

I want to keep a female from Visa's last litter, as does Ashley. I have finally decided on this (http://www.nanduhria.com/Orsam%20de%20Salte%20Cabre.htm) male.

I highly doubt this combination will produce anything close to a perfect conformation.. Orsam has been known to produce very nice conformations, when bred to nice European show dogs. If Visa was more refined and typey we could get away with it, but she's not lol. She's American and she's coarse. Conformation is not my main priority in this litter though -- I chose Orsam for temperament. Since I know I am keeping a breeding female, I want a spectacular temperament. The pup will still finish in the ring, it just won't be the best in show quality dog I want all my dogs to be. What she will produce is more important.

I'm very excited. Orsam comes from very healthy lines. All of the Salte Cabre dogs have very nice temperaments. He is exactly what I'm looking for as far as temperament. I'm trying to look past the fact that I'm doubling up on drive LOL. It will be fine, as long as I make sure the pups go to good working homes. Orsam is very calm though, as is Visa, so I imagine it will produce something like her, but with a more outgoing temperament for show. He produces very very nice dogs.

Just thought I would share! :)

bckrazy
01-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Wow, what a big hunky boy! =] I like the shot of him going for the crotch in Schutzhund. Lawls!

I'm sure he & Visa will produce awesome pups. Honestly, how couldn't they? I definitely support going for temperament & working drive, on top of nice conformation.

borzoimom
01-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Wolfsoul- the breeding may surprise you as far as conformation. I had a german male ( heavier, stocker, shorter in the back and in angulation- but top worker in titles) to my female. ( good titles, like body - but also a little short IMO)- of their litter of 7, 6(!!) became excellent show dogs, and good title holders. As mother use to say " do your homework, get your tests done, get the best your can in a all round dog, and hope for the best..".. After all even I have seen Beautiful conformation parents produce all pet quality in the ring or lesser- but then again- good workers, nice looking but maybe something isnt desired as much, produce knock out puppies..
Its exciting to find the male. Hours and Hours over pedigrees, collecting triumphs on the future mate etc. You are more capable of making the decission as you know your female and studied the male.
I wish you well, and keep us posted. ;)

binka_nugget
01-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Is this the breeder who bred Mals and Groens? It sounds promising.. cause my girl comes from working lines with successful FR dogs.. and then breeding her to one of the males from Visa's litter should produce awesome working dogs! :D Excited!

wolfsoul
01-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys! :) I'm really hoping that there will be a few nice-looking pups. They will have good structure for sure, and it looks like Orsam does throw nice bodies. It's the head and ears I'm worried about -- I'm doubling up on the likeliness of coarse heads and bad ears lol.

Is this the breeder who bred Mals and Groens? It sounds promising.. cause my girl comes from working lines with successful FR dogs.. and then breeding her to one of the males from Visa's litter should produce awesome working dogs! :D Excited!
Nope, Orsam is in France, but the working groen breeder in the US is the one importing the semen. She is doing a breeding with him this year, I believe. There are a couple of other breeders (who've met her pups out of Orsam) who are now interested in him too. His pups are very social and have wowed alot of Belgian people. :) Funny how that works -- the working dogs have the show personality, the show dogs are freaks lol.
I was thinking the same thing -- I was thinking that you could breed your mal to one of Visa's pups. I'd like a progeny of one of those so she has long enough hair to show. And with that pup I can do a linebreeding on Scaper (Visa's grandisre) or Spirit (her dam). I'd like to mix the work-oriented showlines with the working lines for both working ability and conformation, and then do linebreeding for temperament.

BC_MoM
01-06-2007, 12:17 AM
He's very pretty! :)
Depending on my situation at the time, I may be interested in a pup. ;)

wolfsoul
01-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Depending on my situation at the time, I may be interested in a pup. ;)
Definatly! ;)