PDA

View Full Version : *Northeast United States question - Travel related*

gemini9961
01-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I am already in the works of planning our anniversary trip for this year. We will have vacation the first week of November. My question is.....where in the Northeast US would be a great place to visit? I don't want big city stuff, we want to see nature and scenery. I would like to see snow if there is snow up there at that time. I have never been up to that part of the US, he has been to Maine. You guys are such a great resource for information so help me out here....where should we think about going?

Amber :D

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I love Maine. Specifically Bangore Maine. Not sure about snow but it is beautiful up there.
We have plenty of scenery here in the Shenandoahs, but no snow. However , we are an hour from the city- but who wants to see monuments.. I like the wooded life..

elizabethann
01-04-2007, 07:24 PM
If you go to Maine, I'd stick with the seacoast - Camden, Port Clyde (my brother lived there for many years), Bar Harbor. Definetly go to Acadia - you get both the seacoast & the woods.

If you want peace & quiet, woods & beautiful lakes, I would go to Pittsburg, NH. Moose watching, listening to loons on the lake, hiking in the woods, smelling pine & fresh air....ahhhhhh. And your right next to the Canadian border - there's a planetarium you could go to (but I'm not sure if it's open every day in November). And there's always the White Mountains (before you get to Pittsburg). There are a ton of hotels you could stay at.

November is a good time to come up here because the tourists will be gone (from leaf peeping season).

Burlington VT is a great place to visit. You can take the ferry on Lake Champlain & head into NY State. If you go to Vermont, you can visit the dog chapel. Woodstock is a nice little town - shopping & restaurants.

If you go to Mass, I would go to the Cape - Province Town, North Truro...that area. Not too many people and you can still walk on the beach if you bundle up.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-04-2007, 07:50 PM
When I lived in New York we vacationed a few times in the Adirondacks. I remember having a blast there.

http://visitadirondacks.com/

There is also Niagara Falls. I personally was never too fond of it there, but a lot of people love it.

Tralee
01-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I would say Maine! There isn't usually any snow in November. I would highly recommend going to Acadia National Park in Mt. Desert Island. It is absolutely beautiful there, with miles and miles of trails.

gemini9961
01-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, they all sound great. :)

catlover4ever
01-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I suggest the White Mountains (http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/) in New Hampshire...absolutely beautiful that time of year.