PDA

View Full Version : carboot troubles

katrina
01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
i am having difficulty taking my pup in a carboot... my other dog max loves it but roly is having none if it. any suggestions on how to solve this problem??

lizbud
01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
What is a carboot? Do you mean a dog carrier?

katrina
01-04-2007, 04:46 PM
the boot of a car, i cant get my pup to stay in it, or be comfortable in it

lvpets2002
01-04-2007, 04:48 PM
:) I think thats what she means but not sure..
What is a carboot? Do you mean a dog carrier?

katrina
01-04-2007, 04:51 PM
awww ok.... sorry.... i thought she meant a carrier with cage thingy!

finn's mom
01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Do you mean a trunk? Or the back seat?

katrina
01-04-2007, 04:56 PM
it must be the trunk then... where ya lift the door at back of car up.... i think it is trunk, i just cant explain it lol

lizbud
01-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Do you mean a trunk? Or the back seat?

I did think the boot was the trunk, but I'd never put a pup in one. :D
So it didn't make sense.

Kfamr
01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes, she means the trunk.

I'd imagine the trunk of a car isn't too comfortable or safe for most pups. It would be best if you invest in dog seatbelts and buckle them up in the back seat.

finn's mom
01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
it must be the trunk then... where ya lift the door at back of car up.... i think it is trunk, i just cant explain it lol

Yeah, that's the trunk? When you put them in there, do you close the door? Either way, is that legal? To close an animal in the trunk?

katrina
01-04-2007, 04:59 PM
aww ok... our dogs stay in there when going places... like we have bedding and comfort for them in there so their fine... but our new dog wont settle and i dont know what to do :(

finn's mom
01-04-2007, 05:00 PM
So, when you're sitting in the front driving, and you look over your shoulder, you see the seats in the back of your car? And, your dog stays behind that seat? wow. I guess it's better than the bed of a truck, but, it seems odd to me. And you say people do that all the time where you live?

katrina
01-04-2007, 05:01 PM
yea... it is here anyway... you get like things for them for staying in there... they just aint allowed in anymore than 3 hrs or something at a time

katrina
01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
yea if we are on the same wave length thats right... is it america you are from??

kittycats_delight
01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Wait I think everyone might be getting the wrong idea.

Your car, the boot has a window right? It isn't flat with no ventilation like in a sedan. Your car is like a compact car in american with the boot being the back of the car with a window. Kinda like the back of a station wagon?

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-04-2007, 05:05 PM
When you're sitting in your car, can you see the dogs? Or are they actually inside a closed trunk, behind the seats? I do know a few people who allow their dogs in the trunk, but bend down the seats so they can get in and out as they please and have breathing space. However, are you talking about a car with a hatchback perhaps (like a station wagon)? That's what I'd assume a carboot was..

finn's mom
01-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I'm in America. Well, I wish you the best of luck with training your other dog to stay in the trunk. It sounds odd, but, that's just because we don't do that over here. But, it sounds like there are laws at least governing how long they are in there. That's more than we can say for laws governing dogs in beds of trucks. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, though.

DrKym
01-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't even want to think about the dangers that method implies......exhaust fumes, rear end accidents, loose electrical wires from the tailights. I would so urge you to please invest in a carrier or seatbelts to safely keep them in the interior portion designed for traveling in. :eek:

katrina
01-04-2007, 05:15 PM
we would tend to keep seats down so he has freedom and breathing space also, but he just wont settle in the car at all :(

Suki Wingy
01-04-2007, 05:16 PM
like this
http://www.complexion-automotive.com/acatalog/Bootliner.gif
http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/long-termers/peugeot-407sw/02-medium/report04-dog-boot.jpg

or like this?
http://deploymentlink.osd.mil/news/dquarterly/fall01/images/car_search_pg10.jpg
http://www.seethebmw.com/Day_LR_Trunk_and_Door_Compact.jpg

Which were you talking about?

katrina
01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
first one

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Some dogs just don't feel comfortable in the car. The only advice I have would be to stop putting him in the trunk, and start putting him in a crate until he gets used to being in the car if possible. When he get's a bit older I'd probably invest in a dog seatbelt for him unless he calms down and behaves in the car by that point. Besides that, I really have no advice as my dogs have always taken to the care relatively easily.

And now that I know what sort of "trunk" you're talking about, you could get a metal barrier to put up in the back so he can't get out of there. Lots of people do that with their dogs.

katrina
01-04-2007, 05:20 PM
thanks for the advise. much appriciated :)

Suki Wingy
01-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Ah, I bet most people were thinking about the second one. Niņo (my dog) doesn't like the car too much either and never has. We used a gate until he settled a bit to keep him from jumping around and hurting himself.
this kind of thing
http://img.shopping.com/images1/di/47/4b/5f/4e/30/4b695364446b7943317a634a716f435051-100x100.jpg

katrina
01-04-2007, 05:22 PM

finn's mom
01-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Oh, good. That's not really a trunk. :) It's more of a cargo area. What do you call a trunk, then? Like the second picture, with the german shepherd dog? Do you call them all car boots?

katrina
01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
yea they are all known as boots but they just look/have different shapes. i was geting confused also with all the different words for them and i only know them as a boot lol

applesmom
01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd suggest crate training him and getting him used to traveling in his crate. He'll be much happier and a whole lot safer!

katrina
01-04-2007, 05:27 PM
thanks again. i appriciate advice :)

Ginger's Mom
01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Yes, let me jump on that bandwagon too. I think a crate is a good idea, he may actually feel more secure, with less room to roll around in and such. Maybe even put a cover over a portion of the crate (just one side) to make him feel more secure. Roly is very cute, how old is he?

katrina
01-04-2007, 06:28 PM
thanks... hes 13 wks. your dog is gorgeous. she just looks so happy and bright :)

Love That Collie
01-04-2007, 06:29 PM
LOL ROFLMAO!!!!
This has to be THE funniest thread and replies that I have ever seen!
I knew what Katrina meant but reading the replies was so funny that I couldn't type anything. Just put it all down to cultural differences in language of 2 English speaking countries. :D :D :D

katrina
01-04-2007, 06:32 PM
i know.... omg tell me about it..... during the middle of the thread i was sooo confused with all these names in america when we just call it a boot, but its sweet its now sorted out!! :)

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 06:40 PM
LOL ROFLMAO!!!!
This has to be THE funniest thread and replies that I have ever seen!
I knew what Katrina meant but reading the replies was so funny that I couldn't type anything. Just put it all down to cultural differences in language of 2 English speaking countries. :D :D :D
I have 21 staples on my stomach, couldnt resist- and barely made it half way down page 2 before losing it..
We call it a " hatch back" and I would get a crate... ( looking for tissues to wipe my eyes from laughing, holding on to my staples praying they stay put from laughing..)

katrina
01-04-2007, 06:44 PM
lol yea it is a funny thread now confusion is over, i was really really confused, i didnt have a clue what yous call a car boot, lol. aw well tis grand now! happy days! lol :D

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Its okay honey- laughter is great medicine- just have a good stiff pillow if you had abdominal surgery.. I was dying from laughter.
I use grids that seperates the dogs from the driver... One was already posted or use a crate.. remember it does get warm back there.. Maybe you could put the seat down in warmer weather...

katrina
01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
yea i was laughing about you and love that collies comments, too funny :D cheers for the advice!! appriciate it! its funny also thats its only about 8 isnt it in america? when its like 1am here! lol, time diffs is mad! :)

Love That Collie
01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
LOL........yes, it's about 8pm in the Eastern Time Zone
7pm Central Time Zone
6pm Mountain Time Zone
5pm West Coast (or the Left Coast as some call it. :>)
Big country, lots of time zones. LOL
I would love to see your country though. :)

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 06:56 PM
yup 8pm here.. lol.. God bless your heart- the language difference gave us a good laugh..

katrina
01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
at least you can see the sun, our weathers that bad that if the sun comes out at all everyone is talking about it all day... well maybe not that bad but close enough!lol. have you never been to ireland then?

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:01 PM
lol we are pure rednecks over here that we dont understand alot past our own culture.... before confusion starts again, what does redneck mean to yous?? it means farmers or country people to us. wel am a country person anyway as i live in a village, but not everyone is lol

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Half of my family hundreds of years ago came from Ireland, but I hate to say it- I am not sure where. You do know that jackmiliesmom lives in Ireland too?

Love That Collie
01-04-2007, 07:02 PM
at least you can see the sun, our weathers that bad that if the sun comes out at all everyone is talking about it all day... well maybe not that bad but close enough!lol. have you never been to ireland then?

No, I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Ireland but would love to do so some day. Have always wanted to do that. A lot of my ancestors are from Ireland (Ulster, Antrim) but we have been in America since the 1630's. One day I will visit those lovely rolling hills. :)

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
does she? where abouts? like north or south of ireland? thats cool!!:)

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:05 PM
No, I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Ireland but would love to do so some day. Have always wanted to do that. A lot of my ancestors are from Ireland (Ulster, Antrim) but we have been in America since the 1630's. One day I will visit those lovely rolling hills. :)

am from the north of ireland so i am ulster too. not that far off antrim, about an hour! i am from county derry!

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:11 PM
She lives in County Kildare Ireland..
Oh and a "redneck" here.. ( you are killing my staples ya know..) is a seriously uneducated person that well uh the goal in life is to own a uh well 20 year old pickup etc... ( you are killing me here... :D ) Farmers are country "folks".. A redneck well.. Look up jeff foxworthy... lol..Jeff Foxworthy " You might be a redneck if your child has more teeth than you do. You might be a redneck if your mama has ammo on her Christmas list. You might be a redneck if you use your fishing list as a form of identification. "... etc..

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
o god no... i dont mean your kind of redneck... i plan to go to uni next year. thank god i asked lol its funny how one word means two different things lol. sorry staples. lol. awww cool my brother married a woman from kildare. shes from newbridge!

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:15 PM
pm her- its jackmilliesmom ... And a wonderful person!

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:15 PM
i will do :)

Love That Collie
01-04-2007, 07:18 PM
am from the north of ireland so i am ulster too. not that far off antrim, about an hour! i am from county derry!

Wow that's interesting that you happen to be near the place of some of my lineage (Wilkinson was the name of the Ancestors) been here so long there's not complete ships lists from that time.
When I visit I would visit the villages, that's where you find the "heart" of the people and the heritage. Big cities aren't. :)

DrKym
01-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Well I am a Tennessee redneck......................and it actually is a reference to farmers that get the back of their necks sunburned. Love Jeff Foxworthy though. Grew up on a farm in Tennessee. I don't own a 20 year old Pick up although I did learn to drive on one. and my goals in life were a bit higher than buying it off my uncle.
That being said, I think blanket statements aren't all that encompassing?
And Katrina I do apologise for the misconception of the boot but the fact that it could be either a trunk or a cargo hold.....well it was an easy mistake to make , I should have thought to ask what type of car! LOL , and I found Dublin lovely and County Cork also. We went in 2000 for a family wedding of my late exes. :)

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:21 PM
yea i see what ya mean. i live in a village, but i long to live in a city. i supose the grass is always greener on the other side! but villages do have their advantages i must admit!:)

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:24 PM
We went in 2000 for a family wedding of my late exes. :)
" All my ex's live in Texas... thats why I live in Tennesee.."... ( getting another pillow for my staples here.. you all are killing me with laughter! :D :D :D )

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:25 PM
no problem dr.goodnow, i think everyone was a bit confused with the threat to be honest so i see what you mean. yea cork is lovely as is dublin. i love kerry, it truely is a beautiful county. but its scary how small ireland is with the fact you can travel it in less than a day lol.

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Kerry is where my husbands associates family is from. Their name is Clarey.

DrKym
01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
How true! my late ex and I had a wonderful time there, and it gave his family a chance to see him before he passed this last august. I was so glad we went and I know our son will treasure that time too he hopes to go back soon to visit his cousins and great aunts.

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:29 PM
this thread is interesting:).... i love kerry. we would always go to killarney, would it be anywhere near there?

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
im sorry about you exe's passing. glad to know your son will return again.

elizabethann
01-04-2007, 07:31 PM
This is a funny thread. I like the name "boot". I think I will start calling hatchbacks boots.

I agree with the person who put a picture of a gate on this thread. Many people in the US use the gates to separate the dog from the back & front seat. They can sit & lay down, but if they get into an accident, they're protected (and so isn't the passenger) from flying objects....the dog! :)

Good luck getting your dog in the boot.

:)

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
this thread is interesting:).... i love kerry. we would always go to killarney, would it be anywhere near there?
My understanding is yes. .. But I hate to admit- I am not totally sure but it sounds like judging by the things they brought back for my husband.. They say Killarney on them. Must be close..

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
thanks for advice elizabethann, much appriciated :) yea around the area of killarney you can get stuff with killarney on them, so prob is close then! i love that place, always wanted to move there, but donno how i could afford it, even going on holidays to it the things are so expensive :(

Love That Collie
01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
no problem dr.goodnow, i think everyone was a bit confused with the threat to be honest so i see what you mean. yea cork is lovely as is dublin. i love kerry, it truely is a beautiful county. but its scary how small ireland is with the fact you can travel it in less than a day lol.

Maybe one day you will visit the U.S.
Just don't get lost. It's a large country. And also, we here also have different dialects and different words to mean the same thing in different parts of this country as well. But a trunk is still a trunk from "sea to shining sea". :D :D
I think it took us 4-5 days to drive from the east coast to the west coast, driving all day each day. I bet you see lots of Collies in Ireland. Maybe not? But European Collie's are smaller than American Collies.

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Not to mention stockier with more of a stop in the muzzle than we show here..

katrina
01-04-2007, 07:51 PM
yea irelands full of collies, every farm has at least 1, but there mainly border collies. do you have msn??

jackmilliesmom
01-05-2007, 06:41 AM
What we have is called a hatch back with a parcel shelf that can be removed so the dogs have the same air we have in a car. I put my dogs in the boot too but they are in a dog carrier because they are terriers and they are not in there any longer than 1 hour then they are taken out and exercised very well and given plenty of water they love it they sleep most of the time so its great.

So katrina is not locking them up.

By the way katrina when you are putting them in try putting in some treats first and putting the pup in first then the other dogs and then try it the other way around. Try this a few times without going anywhere and then try a spin down the road and back and slowly make the journey's longer. My friend has two Rotwiellers (sp) and she had the same problem with the pup and now she has no problem at all.

Wait I think everyone might be getting the wrong idea.

Your car, the boot has a window right? It isn't flat with no ventilation like in a sedan. Your car is like a compact car in american with the boot being the back of the car with a window. Kinda like the back of a station wagon?

Love That Collie
01-05-2007, 06:48 AM
yea irelands full of collies, every farm has at least 1, but there mainly border collies. do you have msn??

At least in the area that I live it's rare to see a Rough or Smooth Collie so I have to pretty much travel at least 100 miles in order to purchase one.
No, sorry I don't have MSN.

katrina
01-05-2007, 06:56 AM
aw thats unfair! do you have border collies there?

Love That Collie
01-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Oh yes, I see lots of Border Collies. :)

cali
01-05-2007, 09:46 PM
lol I always have a hard time adusting to people refering to Border Collies as "Collies" , around her if someone says "Collie" they are always refering to a lassie type collie lol so I always get confused when I post pics of my Border Collies and have people tell me they have a friends who Collie looks just like mine and I sit there going "eh? ....ooohhh they mean my BC" lol

do you guys have Pyrenean Shepherds there? (AKA Berger des Pyrenees/Petite Berger/Pyrenean Sheepdog) they are supposed to be more common in Europe(well in some places, I am not sure about Ireland) lol they are so unknown here that even diehard dog people have never heard of em :p

cloverfdx
01-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Have to love the different names peple have for different things lol. Trunks are called boots here aswell ;).

A friend of mine worked in a guest house somewhere near Cork, i forget the name of the place but will look it up... Ireland is a very beautiful country i would love to visit one day :D.

And yep Border Collies are Border Collies and 'lassie type' Collies are just called rough or smooths ;).

katrina
01-06-2007, 05:41 AM
hehe so many collies nomater what type!:)

Miss Z
01-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Tee hee, it was quite amusing reading this thread and seeing the confusion over what a car boot is. I swear American English an English English are different languages :p Everyone says 'boot' over here, I've never really heard it called anything else until now!

Alasse
01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
When we had a station wagon...my guy used to be in the *dog box* (what that area is called behind the back seats...even if ya dont own dogs *L*...well it is here anyway)

You can get safety anchor points put in that you secure you dog to with a harness....so if you are in an accident you poor dog doesnt go flying

You also should has as a minimum a cargo barrier to stop you dog from coming forward if excessive breaking is required

It is against the law here to leave any animal in an enclosed car no matter how long they are there for