PDA

View Full Version : Update on my brothers estate

caseysmom
01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
For those of you who remember what I have been going through being administrator of my brothers estate.

I sold the house! As of 12/29/06 it changed title. I have a large sum of money in the bank and don't have to worry about paying all his bills myself now, I just wrote myself a check for reimbursement.

I can't wait to pay my niece her inheritence, problem is her brothers conservatorship is not set up yet and we have to wait for that. I am going to go with her to the credit union to try to get her a loan against her estate so she can get out on her own. She did finally get a job at a fast food place at least.

I am going to get paid for doing this, I had originally thought I would never do that but after all the blood, sweat and tears and no thank you's from my niece I am opting for payment. I will get $8,000 but it is taxable...I am going to take the kids to Hawaii since they have had to share their computer, bathroom and house with their cousin that won't even talk to them.

Things have been really bad, she didn't even get me a card for christmas and I got her lots of things. She does have 1500.00 dollars in the bank so there is no excuse for her behavior.

Karen
01-04-2007, 02:47 PM
I am glad things are finally moving forward, and agree you all deserve a break!

kimlovescats
01-04-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all of this, and that your niece is acting so ungrateful! :( I hope things get better for you.

caseysmom
01-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks Karen and Kim.

I know your going through your own problems Kim thank you for caring about mine. I have been following your daughters problems but haven't been good about updating, I really am hoping for the best for her.

pitc9
01-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Whew!! Glad it's over (well... almost)
Doesn't it just boggle your mind how some people can be so blasted rude and ungrateful!! Especially when it's family!

caseysmom
01-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Whew!! Glad it's over (well... almost)
Doesn't it just boggle your mind how some people can be so blasted rude and ungrateful!! Especially when it's family!

Yes, in my brain I know something is wrong with her but she is so arrogant and pretty darn smart at so many things that it makes it hard to swallow. The lady helping me from the church even said its all an excuse to be rude. She has totally refused to go to a professional.

Lobodeb
01-04-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm so happy that this os almost over for you! My dad's estate issues were tough to deal with and I wasn't even the executor of his estate, my aunt was. I can't imagine what you both must have gone through.

Good for you for accepting payment. You deserve it. Enjoy Hawaii!

I'm kind of out of it, but didn't you say your niece was special needs?

caseysmom
01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm so happy that this os almost over for you! My dad's estate issues were tough to deal with and I wasn't even the executor of his estate, my aunt was. I can't imagine what you both must have gone through.

Good for you for accepting payment. You deserve it. Enjoy Hawaii!

I'm kind of out of it, but didn't you say your niece was special needs?

Debby, Her brother is special needs and has severe autism. I suspect she is special needs also but has not been diagnosed. I have asked her to see a professional and she refuses. She is very bright in a lot of areas...I believe she may have aspergers syndrome, she is very socially retarded and very self centered so it is hard to deal with. I spoke with my doctor and his attitude was if she won't help herself wash your hands of it you need your health. I got her on my health insurance which will last until her birthday in may when she turns 23, I wish she would have used it but she won't.

Lobodeb
01-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Debby, Her brother is special needs and has severe autism. I suspect she is special needs also but has not been diagnosed. I have asked her to see a professional and she refuses. She is very bright in a lot of areas...I believe she may have aspergers syndrome, she is very socially retarded and very self centered so it is hard to deal with. I spoke with my doctor and his attitude was if she won't help herself wash your hands of it you need your health. I got her on my health insurance which will last until her birthday in may when she turns 23, I wish she would have used it but she won't.

Asperber's syndrome would certainly explain her behavior.

Either way, I'm happy that she'll be on her own and outta your hair. Kudos to you for taking care of that. It takes a big person to do that.

Ginger's Mom
01-04-2007, 03:57 PM
You and your family have been through a lot, and have handled yourselves admirably. Enjoy your vacation, you deserve it. I hope your neice does well on her own. :)

jazzcat
01-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Congrats for selling the house!!! I'm so glad there is a light at the end of this tunnel for you. I think it is good that you are paying yourself - it is a lot of hard work and you deserve it. A trip to Hawaii is probably just what the doctor ordered for the whole family! :)

caseysmom
01-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I have been looking at prices online and cancun is looking better price wise...we went 4 years ago and enjoyed the all inclusive part of cancun.

Lobodeb
01-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I have been looking at prices online and cancun is looking better price wise...we went 4 years ago and enjoyed the all inclusive part of cancun.

Depending on what part of California you're in, I just saw that ATA airlines is having a sale to Mexico. Something like $149 each way, but that was from Chicago. It might be cheaper for you.

cyber-sibes
01-04-2007, 04:35 PM
We've gone through several inheritance estates - somehow there always seems to be some snarl up. I hope your nephew's funds get set up soon. It will all seem worth it while you are lying on a beautiful beach somewhere! What a nice treat for yourself & your family. :cool:

caseysmom
01-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I haven't been to Hawaii since 1987 but Mexico sure does give more for your money and the beaches in cancun are beautiful.

Catty1
01-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Hopefully a few failures in the real world of employment will have an employer insisting she get help. Fast food bosses? Not sure.

But it's HER job to do that, and go on from here.

You done good, beyond and above the call of any duty.

Get your keys from her, get her an apartment, and board your flight! :D

caseysmom
01-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Just spoke with her uncle on the other side of the family, he has done nothing regarding her brother so she can't get her money until he does that....geez will this ever end.

Catty1
01-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Maybe SHE should talk to her uncle? Money is a great motivator...

caseysmom
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Catty...I told her that tonight...she will not do it...she will do nothing...I ask her to do lots of things she just does nothing...I have never seen anyone just do nothing about anything...its bizarre.

Catty1
01-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Holy cow....I hope the uncle does something soon...there is something very wrong with that girl, and I do hope she finds her way to a whole and happy life!

HUGS

anna_66
01-05-2007, 07:34 AM
It's so good to hear that this ordeal is almost over for you and your family. You all definitely deserve a vacation. I know wherever you go you'll have a good time:)