PDA

View Full Version : dog tags

joycenalex
01-03-2007, 06:30 PM
alexs' and peanuts' tags came today, so they have new bling. in columbus ohio the tags come through the county auditor site, and it was just 2 years ago that the registration was computerized so there could be online payments, and to an extent you could be 'nagged' to pay your fees. it's much easier to do this online as opposed to driving to the only 3 locations that had the tags in this county. the site has my demographics, a description of the dog (age, colors, hair length, breed, spaying/neutering) and name. i think that that would help if, god forbid, either one went missing.

pitc9
01-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Sierra and Bud got their new Bling this week also!
I'm lucky here in Lake County, yearly licenses are sold at a lot of places.
I bought mine where I buy my dog food.
They are also for sale at the Mall and other places!
Hummm.... I'll have to take a picture of Bud's new bling on his new Ohio State Collar for you Joyce!! I'm SURE you'd just Looooooove to see that!! :p ;)

anna_66
01-04-2007, 02:58 PM
That's cool you can do it online. Here in Piqua the just send us a postcard in the mail, we send a SASE and they send them to us.
We got ours in the mail the week before Christmas, so we have new bling too!(are your guys tags silver also?)

DrKym
01-04-2007, 03:39 PM
We get ours at the vets. Rusty got his Big boy tags on Dec. 22nd! he is very proud of his bling! Sequoia came from Mo so it will cost me to transfer tags and register her here, then she will get bling from Dr Pope! :)

Suki Wingy
01-04-2007, 05:32 PM
um, my dog's never been registered with our town, oops. He has an engraved nameplate with address and phone number though.

Love That Collie
01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
um, my dog's never been registered with our town, oops. He has an engraved nameplate with address and phone number though.

Neither has mine Suki. And I refuse to ever do it as long as I live here and that will probably be for the rest of my life. LOL. I have no knowledge of what other posters towns/cities are like in how they distribute the money from the money collected for these so called "licenses" but here it's a joke. The local Humane Society here is a BIG joke and they are rude (the HS) and that's where the money goes (after the county office gets it cut and they do less than the HS......which equals nothing). I take care of my own dogs. It wouldn't surprise me if our county decided that they wanted to tax and license goldfish, hamsters and gerbils if they thought they could do it and not get flak for doing it. When our county and the local Humane Society here starts living up to what they are supposed to do then I might CONSIDER paying the license fee after some long thought on the subject. :rolleyes:

cyber-sibes
01-04-2007, 06:19 PM
WHOOPS! I'm glad I saw this...reminding me that I still have to do that here. I usually go to the Humane Society to get ours. It's just up the street. I also have to get Sherman to the vets for shots, then get our dogpark tag. They have decided not to lock it up anymore - too many people leave it open. You are still supposed to have a pass, though. Mr. Ranger said he's supposed to start passing out citations for non-conformers. It's like $50 if you don't have a pass! Guess I better write up a To Do list tonight. :rolleyes:

joycenalex
01-04-2007, 06:20 PM
ths years tags are gold. real *BLING*

DrKym
01-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow, here in Alton the HS is clean well run and pleasantly staffed (and yes I have lived where they aren't) the town uses the fees 5.00 a yr for neutered animals and 25.00 for unneutered unless you are a Liscened and Bonded Kennel or Cattery then it changes to a flat fee for all animals listed as yours. But it is used for maintaining the dog park and also for low cost spay and neuter programs run 3xs a year by the city. So I dont mind paying the fees. We also have the option when we pay to register the animal with a pic and short statement in case it gets lost or stolen(even though ours are chipped still never hurts to know what they look like and have a name to go with the report). :)

joycenalex
01-04-2007, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=Love That Collie]I have no knowledge of what other posters towns/cities are like in how they distribute the money from the money collected for these so called "licenses" ...
franklin county, ohio has a lost dogs website, you enter the year and the number on the tag and the humans' info shows up. if ever peanut went missing, anyone could track her to me. and thank the lord for that website. alex went missing 6 years ago, for half a day and i thought my heart would break. yes, they're both chipped, but the point is they can be returned to me. this is a valuable part of my fees.

anna_66
01-04-2007, 07:05 PM
If we don't get our tags/license around here and they find out, we can get a pretty hefty fine and we don't want that!

Love That Collie
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=Love That Collie]I have no knowledge of what other posters towns/cities are like in how they distribute the money from the money collected for these so called "licenses" ...
franklin county, ohio has a lost dogs website, you enter the year and the number on the tag and the humans' info shows up. if ever peanut went missing, anyone could track her to me. and thank the lord for that website. alex went missing 6 years ago, for half a day and i thought my heart would break. yes, they're both chipped, but the point is they can be returned to me. this is a valuable part of my fees.

If only we had anything remotely comparable to what any of the others HS and counties offer in return for the TAX, but they don't. Nothing. AND they won't even come and pick up a CAT outside of the city limits!! Not even if its hurt! They will pick up a dog though. Figure that one out?? There's NO dog parks whatsoever, never has been. They pass on the charge for the spay/neuter to the adoptive owners. The only form of Animal Control is our HS and the city has a big problem with dogs that are just roaming the streets. The list goes on. If they fined me, I'd say try and collect it. All they can do it get a lien against you personally and that's something I'd never pay. They PTS more animals here than you can shake a stick at.

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
These tags are cheap metals.. I use clear fingernail polish on the tags to prevent " green neck" mark on a white dog... I also keep these tags ONLY on the collars they would wear outside the house.. When they start losing the metal, getting that metal off the coat is almost impossible! Just a thought..