PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos on teens - opinions pls

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Cam turned 18 in December, and is really keen to get a tattoo. (He has wanted one for several years already).

Warren is quite conservative with things like this, and his initial reaction is "no way - not whilst you are under my roof".

I'm a bit more liberal (in fact would love to get one myself). The LAST thing I want is that Cam goes behind our backs and gets one done, and the conditions are unsanitary, or the artwork is bad, and he's stuck with it.

The only stipulations I would make are:
- top of arms / chest / back is OK - anywhere that there is the SLIGHTEST issue with not being able to cover it up for work and school is not allowed.

- nothing controversial - I'd prefer he waited until he found some artwork that means something to him personally, but failing this I would steer him towards a celtic knot, or a tribal design.

What's your opinion:
- YES - if he wants it done, support him and make sure it's done RIGHT

- NO - Dad's word is law, and if he goes behind our backs and it turns out badly, then it's his fault.

pitc9
01-03-2007, 08:02 AM
I vote YES, help him! Make sure it's done right!

Vela
01-03-2007, 08:05 AM
I would really try to discourage him, because I really don't like tattoos, but if it's what he really wanted, being 18, I can't stop him and would try to help him get it done the right way if that's really what he was going to do.

DrKym
01-03-2007, 08:08 AM
My Daughter Tiff married at 17 and of course her hubby took her for the one she wanted (right between the shoulder blades) now 2.5 yrs later she hates it, and swears she wished she had waited, I agree help him, but also to remind him it is PERMANENT! he can always GET one but getting one off is expensive and painful I am told.

borzoimom
01-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Well I agree with your point of a 18 year old, especially a young man, without your conscent getting one in a not so sanitary situation. And also as long as it can be covered for working etc, that would be fine with me. I will admit a tattoo on a woman gives me a quick eyebrow raise, but see nothing wrong with it for a man. My step son, the ex marine has two. Very tasteful, and mostly able to be covered. ( on his arm, and his chest.) Please remember- at 18 they are able to be drafted so they are adults. They can also vote- he does not need your consent, and all we can offer is opinion..
My daughter is now 21. All I can do is advise, and I have found being supportive not only has her more honest with me about adult problems to "discuss" with "mom"- but also having her trust, I know more what is going on with her. ( she lives 60 miles away.) I would have to say yes, and offer to help him find a good tattoist. Remind him he will have this for life, so it needs to be done WELL... And where ever he puts it, if the muscle mass behind might change with age, he needs to consider that as well. I think the upper arm is pretty popular..

catnapper
01-03-2007, 08:13 AM
I feel tattoos are fine if its something they've thought long and hard for. My son wants a bulldog on his ankle. He's wanted it for years but we set the parameters and he hasn't met them yet (he's 20 and knows dad's word is law) So when the day comes that either he's out on his own or he met the parameters (has to do with grades and a few other things) when he finally does get the tattoo, it'll be something really significant and he knows its a concept he'll relate to no matter his age.

If I got a tattoo at 18, let me just say it would have been removed many moons ago because what was important to me then is something I can't even relate to today... chances are it would have been a heart, a peace symbol and a happy face drawn inside a double lined rectangle. I LOVED that drawing and drew it everywhere (peace love happines.... sweet concept but it seems so teen-ish now) Sure the concept of peace love and happiness is something I still dream of today but I think the drawing is silly and I'd never want it on my body.

What I'm saying, approve the drawing the ensure its something he will still love as a mature adult. He might think a cartoon character is cool, but will he in 15 years? 30 years? I love watching thoise tv shows about tattoo shops and laugh at how often people come in for new tats to cover up old ones. Many are covering because they were simply badly drawn, but most cover them up because they don't relate to the meaning behind it anymore.

Kfamr
01-03-2007, 08:16 AM
If he is 18 and doesn't need your money to get a tattoo, I'd imagine you have no way of stopping him, as he can just go behind your backs and do it anyways. My sister was not allowed to get her belly button pierced according to my dad, however, she did it anyways and they had NO clue!

I'd say research with him, go with him, and make sure it's done in sanitary conditions. Try to make your husband realize this point, too.

sirrahved
01-03-2007, 08:18 AM
"The not under my roof" argument never flew with me.

I think a much better approach is reasons why you wouldn't want him to get it done such as:

It's something that is with you for life. How do you know you will feel the same way about the design 50 years from now?

Health risks- has he checked the credentials of the shop he's interested in? Talked to people around that have tattoos? I've found that you need to do this on top of looking at the artist's portfolio. The tattoo artist only picks his BEST work for his portfolio!

Have you thought about the way it may make some people view you differently?

If he has mature answers for all of your questions, then he should be able to make the decision for himself. If he's still in a mindset where he acts childish about your questions, then request that he hold off a while before deciding.

Whatever you do... don't ban him from doing it. It's the best way to ensure he comes home with some band logo in the middle of his forehead:)

critter crazy
01-03-2007, 08:48 AM
I think as long as he goes to a good place, and chooses something that he will always ejoy seeing then it is fine. But like others have suggested, he needs to make sure that where he puts is, will not interfere with his carreer. I got my first Tattoo at 18 and wish i had put it somewhere else. but other than that i love my tats, and will conntinue to get them.

moosmom
01-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I have 4 tattoos. I waited till my Dad passed away (I was 45) till I got my first one, a heart with "Dad" in it. He had tattoos from when he was 17 years old and in the Navy. He was adamant about not getting one, saying they are permanent. He told me a story (trying to discourage me from getting one) about the time he waiting for a parking space. A guy came along and took his spot. My father found another spot, got out of his truck and the guy looked at his tattoos (he had 3 of them, all on his arms) and the "NRA" sticker on his back window and said, "I know all about you biker types!" and ran into the store.

All of mine are very well hidden and can only be seen when I'm wearing either a bathing suit or tank top. 2 of them are on each hip, so no one sees them unless I allow them to. I never regret having them done.

I agree with everyone. As long as they're done professionally and tastefully, maybe down the road he'll see differently.

Husky15
01-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I agree with Kay, you probably couldn't stop him, so it's best you research with him and go with him. Or maybe just put your foot down. I mean, I wanted a lip ring, but my father said that if I get one, he will kick me out, and my parents are pretty lenient about body alterations, so I knew he meant business. Needless to say, I wont be getting one.

wolfsoul
01-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I say yes! If the conditions aren't sanitary, he could get HIV or something else. I think it's fair the he can gets one as long as it's in a place that can be covered -- which he may thank you for in the long run!

TFTpwnsYou
01-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I say go with him. I begged my mom since I was like 12 for one, and at 16 it was my birthday present. He is 18, but it is always better to have someone go with you on that very 1st trip. I'd say just discuss, and even though he knows it's permenent to get something that he will forever love because it is a big decision. Find some shops, check them out, ask to see their work and such and how they go about with the tattoo. If they're not willing to show you then well that's a no. And discuss about putting it somewhere it can be covered for work as you said. It is better so support on something like this than to try and fight it. Us kids have a way with things, and don't necessarily make the right choices. Good luck on that though.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I'd go for yes - he's 18 not 8

PJ's Mom
01-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Let him do it. I made my kids wait til they were 18 to do anything like that and my daughter and I went to have our first tatts done together. :)

jackmilliesmom
01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
My friend's dad has some and he regrets where he got them and has always told us of the pain he suffered getting them in the first place and then having to live with them for the rest of his life until now when he went to get one removed and it turned out to be more painful than when he got them in the first place.

When my friend got married it was a really hot day and her father could not take his Jacket off and roll up his sleeves when the photo's were over because he was ashamed of his tattoos as they were in a very visible place.

His son went to get one and the guy had to stop half way through because he could no longer stick the pain and now he is left with a half a tattoo that means absolutely nothing so your son should go and discuss this with the artists and be aware of all of the dangers as well as the pros to having one, such as blood poisining, HIV, skin burning and so on.

But definitely do not say no as he will go anyway.

buttercup132
01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
If he is 18 and doesn't need your money to get a tattoo, I'd imagine you have no way of stopping him, as he can just go behind your backs and do it anyways. My sister was not allowed to get her belly button pierced according to my dad, however, she did it anyways and they had NO clue!

I'd say research with him, go with him, and make sure it's done in sanitary conditions. Try to make your husband realize this point, too.Exactly , he is a 18 and can sign for him self now. MY parents say once your 18 get whatever wherever bbut while in their house I get my tattoos where they say I can and I have to show them what I want first and if they think it's something I will regret I pick something else that I wanted and wait till I'm 18 to get the other thing.

Most places are clean with their needles etc.
I would advise you to maybe talk to some people near you who have tattoos and see where they recomend.

I think it's fine that a teen gets a tattoo so long as they know what they are getting into and it's not just a spur of the moment thing. But you said your son has wanted one for year already so that isn't the case here. I don't regret any of mine and I KNOW I never will.I will always look back on them and remember things. If theres ever one I dont like I would look back and think wow I was so stupid for getting that.

cyber-sibes
01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
It's his body, he's got to live with it. It would be better if Dad went along with it too. Maybe he can approach his dad again with a copy of the artwork?Tattoos are so popular, and the ones like you said, celtic knots & tribal designs, look pretty good & are neutral enough not to freak people out.

I'm with you, though, put it where you can cover it up if the situation calls for it. No face/head/necks please. I've met kids who got passed over for good jobs because of visible tattoos & facial piercings.

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-03-2007, 11:30 AM
that is kind of sticky seeing how dad says no...

I personally would let him do it.. I agree that he should wait and find some artwork that meant something to him and wait till he is 100% sure that is what he wanted.

I think you are going about it the right way... :)

Lobodeb
01-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I would say let him. My dad had a tattoo and was adament about me NOT getting one. He told me that if I really wanted one, to think about it for a year. If I still want it after that year, then go get it.

I did just that. I got the tattoo I always wanted and I love it. But, I also got a spur of the moment tattoo that I HATE! It wasn't thought out and it's impossible to hide.

If he's been thinking about it, then he's ready. But he needs to make sure that the design he wants isn't just a fad or something spur of the moment. Also, he needs to get it done right since, as others have stated, is permanant.

Good luck.

KitCat
01-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Tattoos are a bad idea. When a person grows and changes through the years will they think they had a good idea in their youth? Probably not!

lizbud
01-03-2007, 12:11 PM
My ex and I were pretty conservative parents so this was something
that never came up in conversation with the children.If they ever wanted
a tattoo I never heard about it. They are grown adults now & can do as
they please, but somehow I think they still wouldn't do it.

ramanth
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I vote Yes to make sure it's done right and not have him go behind your back.

When I read the title, the teen age that popped into my mind was 14-16. I'd be more hesitant then.

However, 18 years old... he's legal to smoke and join the armed forces so I would think a tattoo would be a drop in the bucket. Dad will get over it.

My dad forbade me to get my ears pierced a second time when I was 16. Mom took me to a place she trusted to get them done since she didn't want me jabbing needles into my ears or having a friend botch it up.

Dad got over it. :)

Barbara
01-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm older generation and I remember that although you can decide everything with 18 most of us would decide some things differently when we became older.
Bad thing with a tattoo- it's irreversible.

So has he ever thought to get a piercing? My stepdaughter got several when she was 18 (and we hated them all, the arrows in the root of the nose between the eyes, the one in the belly and the one in the tongue) but now she's 26 and doesn't have them anymore.

Things like this are also done to be different from your old-fashioned parent generation and of course this was much easier for my generation when long hair for the boys and no bras for girls could cause enough shock to your parents :cool:

Sevaede
01-03-2007, 10:49 PM
I agree with Brody's Mum and Kay.

I love tattoos. For some, they're meaningless. But to me there is so much to them. I value them as art, as spiritual things, as one of the things I'm just plain "into", etc.

Try surfing on the net and looking at some examples of artists in your area. If you can find an excellent apprentice, he may be able to get it done for free - or nothing.

junescrater716
01-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I vote YES. Our whole family has tattoos except for my dad and it's sort of a tradition where the year you turn 18 you get a tat. I already know what I want mine to be. It's a vine that wraps around my ankle and foot. It'll have some celtic symbols tied into the leaves as well.

As long as he get one he is happy with I say go for it but make sure it's okay with his dad first.

Taz_Zoee
01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I got my tattoo when I was 21 and my father STILL doesn't know about it (I am 33 now). But I do not regret getting it.
The one thing to keep in mind is it needs to be something HE wants. When my friend and I went to get ours I asked her what she thought of the drawing of mine and the artist said...it's going to be on YOU forever, not her. I was like...good point.
I also thought long and hard about what to get. I originally wanted to get Dopey from the seven dwarfs, but thought ok a 70 year old woman with a saggy Dopey on her ankle....NOPE. So I settled for a nice small flower.

Anyway....my vote is YES. And going with him is an excellent idea, if he will let you.

Sevaede
01-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Tattoos are a bad idea. When a person grows and changes through the years will they think they had a good idea in their youth? Probably not!

How so? How can you claim that *EVERYONE* changes and morphs and never looks at the same idea twice?

I know and have seen MANY older folks with tattoos that *STILL* look fantabulous! In fact, I think I have only seen one older person with tattoos that looked bad. That was because she had tattooed over the same ones several times!

buttercup132
01-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Tattoos are a bad idea. When a person grows and changes through the years will they think they had a good idea in their youth? Probably not!I have 3 I'm 16 and I know I will still like mine. Your theory is wrong, seems like you don't know much about the subject so you shouldn't assume that. I personally find that offensive.

pnance
01-04-2007, 12:54 AM
I vote help him. He's 18 so bottom line he can get one with or without your permission. At least if he know's your behind it you can offer suggestions and perhaps help find a good place.

Just a suggestion, do your homework (ask friends, etc.)and pay a little more if necessary. My brother had a tatoo done at one those ?? places for less and has never been really happy with the work. I had a tiger done but did my homework first and went to a shop and artist that was extremely well known and even published in magazines. Everyone I knew recommended this guy. The tiger looks real it's so good. The other thing is since he's young and has no idea what type of job he'll end up with suggest putting it in a place that's easy to hide, believe me it will make things easier down the line.

todd
01-04-2007, 01:27 AM
I have a tattoo of my cat

carole
01-04-2007, 02:52 AM
I am personally not a fan of tattoo's at all,no offence mean't to anyone who has them and i know quite a few do on PT, just not my thing,as he is 18 it would be legal for him to have it done i imagine, as it is in my country, i do think you should talk to your hubby and try to see whether he would agree, because if he is determined to have one he will either way, and as you pointed out far better somewhere safe and sanitary, if it is only a small one and hidden should not be too much of a problem,anyhow good luck with your decision. :)

P.S I think Kitcat was merely trying to make the point that there are quite a few people who have had tattoo's at a young age and regretted it and now they have to have painful removal done, some so they can actually get jobs, this is probably the extreme cases i guess, but she is right in stating that to a degree in my opinion ,that is why tattoo removal has become a big business.

Argranade
01-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Well I geuss he is 18 and should have a choice but maybe you should try to talk with the dad first because you don't want him pissed because he wen't behind his back, Tattoos should be considered over & over untill for sure you know what you want because I know MANY! people who grew older then hated themselfs for getting tattoos. Yes he is old enough to choose what he wants but I think it is true ... if he's under the roof the parents should choose cause maybe this could realy bother his dad for some reason who knows.

This tattoo should mean somthing with in himself, don't let him get it just because it looks cool, he might regret it in the future .. I'm sure if you had a tattoo and someone asked what it ment you would realy want to say somthing speacail about it not just ''Oh I thought it looked cool''

You can't say you thought, you have to actualy know.

RICHARD
01-04-2007, 01:45 PM
This is an easy one...

He get's his tattoo....

His DAD picks the pattern

MOM pays for it and picks where it goes...

Cam gets a tattoo! ;)

Queen of Poop
01-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I vote that you and dad discuss the permanance of the tattoo with him, ensure he picks a design that he loves, take him to a place that is clean, sanitary and has a good reputation. Then talk with the artist, discuss all the details and let him make the final decision.

I'm 41 years old, I want to have paw prints for each of my RB animals tattooed on my right shoulder walking down my back (away from me). One paw print for each missing furbaby. This has serious and significant meaning for me and will one day become reality.

Sevaede
01-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Here is a good website. *WARNING - some images may be graphic.*

http://www.bmezine.com . It is very informative. It has tons of experiences, photos, interviews, etc, with people from ALL sorts of different backgrounds, cultures etc.

People with tattoos, piercings, etc, are NO less of people. You've just got to learn and know (as with EVERYTHING else) what you're doing, getting into, etc. It requires lots of forethought.

I have never met anyone who hated themselves because of the fact that they had a tattoo.

My husband has had the same tattoos for a while now. He still loves them every bit as the day he desired them. He has a green gecko on his left shoulder and a dreamcatcher in the middle of his back.

How about a henna tattoo? Have him get one in the design he likes. If he still likes it after it wears off, then talk about it again. :)

Cataholic
01-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I am against it.

Since when does 18 mean one does whatever one wants without thought to others? It is an age, not a license. He is hardly living on his own, making his way, right? :o

I might chuckle, slightly, under my breath, at all the people on here that have tatoos, and haven't regretted them, for a minute, at all, love them as much as the day they got them, uh, like, well, 6 months ago, when they were 16.5 years old, at that.

I know more people with tatoos, at the advanced age of 40ish, that regret them than I do people that still love them like they did when they got them. I wouldn't hire someone with a tatoo, or a piercing, that I found objectionable, simply because of the tatoo or piercing. At 18, 20, or 22ish, that might seem so discriminatory, and you might scream, "great! I wouldn't want to work for you/such a place anyhow". But, times change. Bills need to be paid, and working for minimum wage is not that swell. There are plenty of industries that might frown on visible tatoos, or ones considered objectionable, or controversial. There are industries that wouldn't, too. Just make sure you are comfortable staying in that second camp.

They are such a permanent reminder of what can often be a fleeting fascination with something. I would rather see someone 'brand' themselves in another way.

sumbirdy
01-05-2007, 01:14 PM
"The not under my roof" argument never flew with me.

I think a much better approach is reasons why you wouldn't want him to get it done such as:

It's something that is with you for life. How do you know you will feel the same way about the design 50 years from now?

Health risks- has he checked the credentials of the shop he's interested in? Talked to people around that have tattoos? I've found that you need to do this on top of looking at the artist's portfolio. The tattoo artist only picks his BEST work for his portfolio!

Have you thought about the way it may make some people view you differently?

If he has mature answers for all of your questions, then he should be able to make the decision for himself. If he's still in a mindset where he acts childish about your questions, then request that he hold off a while before deciding.

Whatever you do... don't ban him from doing it. It's the best way to ensure he comes home with some band logo in the middle of his forehead:)

I agree with all this. The health risk isn't only involved with where you get it done at. My brother tried to get his in color and it turned out he was allergic to the color ink and it got really infected. He got the rest of his done in plain black ink.

Sevaede
01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I know more people with tatoos, at the advanced age of 40ish, that regret them than I do people that still love them like they did when they got them. I wouldn't hire someone with a tatoo, or a piercing, that I found objectionable, simply because of the tatoo or piercing. At 18, 20, or 22ish, that might seem so discriminatory, and you might scream, "great! I wouldn't want to work for you/such a place anyhow". But, times change. Bills need to be paid, and working for minimum wage is not that swell. There are plenty of industries that might frown on visible tatoos, or ones considered objectionable, or controversial. There are industries that wouldn't, too. Just make sure you are comfortable staying in that second camp.

So how else would you have people "brand" themselves? I don't see how if I got a tattoo of my cats face that I am branding myself with anything?

You would NOT hire me because of the fact that I had a tattoo? And the argument is that times change and bills need to be paid? Well, yeah, that would pretty much be the chief reason I am out actively looking for a job. I really don't understand what you meant by that whole second paragraph. So, you'd not hire someone with tattoos just because you didn't agree with them. But the reason would be that bills need to be paid and they're getting a lesson and being stuck in minimum wage forever? What about all the doctors, scientists, etc, with tattoos? http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/bme-tatt.html

My husband is 30 years old. He has had his tattoos for five and seven years. He does plan on getting more.

A tattoo does not have any bearing on your level of intelligence or capability. Yes, people should realize that they might not get certain jobs if they have visible tattoos. But you shouldn't judge your whole opinion on someone just because of a personal decision. That would be like someone not hiring someone because of them being a vegetarian.

A LOT of people get them based on historical signifigance, ancestry, ancient customs, etc. I am willing to bet that somewhere way back in your family history that there are people who got tattoos and piercings and whatnot in reverence to their religion, etc.

I *LOVE* tattoos. Always have, always will. I would not put something permanent on my body that I would regret. I am an intelligent person and I don't believe I deserve less just because of them. :(

I have lots of friends and family members with tattoos. Many of them have had them for 10-20+ years. I don't see why because of the fact that we have tattoos that we're bad people or deserve any less than anyone else.

(I am in no way trying to be argumentative. I just didn't understand what you meant.) :)

Kfamr
01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
When I get the nerve to, I will be getting a tattoo of Simba's paw print. If someone chooses not to hire me because of it, I really don't want to work for them anyways.

dionne
01-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I have a tattoo of a moon and a star on my ankle. Not only does this have special symbolizm to me (Dione is the name of the moon goddess, mother of aphrodite and zeus, as well as a moon of saturn), but it is also the symbol of a very hard time in my life, and my strength to pull though out of it alive.

So while I agree, there are some tattoos that are obviously unneccesary (ie: drug related, pornographic), i think they do serve well purposes, like mine in reminding one of one's strength, or in being a symbol of one's faith/religion. basically, what it comes down to, is being a symbol, and i believe that if someone feels like they need something like that (forever) as a cornerstone/reminder, than who are you to judge?

Suki Wingy
01-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Help him out with it and make sure it's something he really wants.

Twisterdog
01-06-2007, 12:10 AM
He's eighteen. He's an adult. There really isn't anything you can do about it, short of your husband kicking him out of the house for getting a tattoo. That would be a little extreme, IMO.

If he really wants it, he's GOING to get it.

I have five tattoos. All are personally important and meaningful to me. None of them are trendy or what happened to be popular or "in" at the time. I have my husband's name, my son's name, and three symbols that have become very important to me as I've found myself and my own spiritual beliefs. All of them can be covered up, as well.

But, persih the thought that I would have gotten one when I was eighteen instead of in my thirties. It would probably say, "I love Jon Bon Jovi" or some such rubbish. ;)

This is what I would do: Try to explain to him, as I have to my teenagers, that what he likes when he's a teenager is not necesarily going to be what's most important to him when he's an adult. Ask him to wait, just so HE won't be unhappy with it later. Ask him if he will think on the particular design he wants for a year, six months, however much time you think you can reasonably buy from him. Tell him if he still wants it as badly after a year as he does now, go ahead.

I wouldn't make an issue of what you or your husband think about it, so much as what your son will think of it later. You don't want him going out and getting it just for the sake of rebellion.

One of my step-daughters has her tongue and eyebrow pierced ... behind our backs and without our permission. The other step-daughter has her lower lip and eyebrow pierced ... behind our backs and without our permission. Their dad said, "Over my dead body will you do that!" ... so they did it. My son wanted his ear and eyebrow pierced. I said, "Let's compromise. I'll let you get your ear pierced, and I'll pay for it and buy you some cool earrings. Then you wait on your eyebrow until you are eighteen, ok?" My husband thought I was crazy. But, my son did not go behind our backs to get his eyebrow pierced. Sometimes, a little compromise goes a long way.

Cataholic
01-06-2007, 12:37 AM
So how else would you have people "brand" themselves? I don't see how if I got a tattoo of my cats face that I am branding myself with anything?

I wouldn't have them brand themselves in any way at all. I am not into 'branding'.

You would NOT hire me because of the fact that I had a tattoo? And the argument is that times change and bills need to be paid? Well, yeah, that would pretty much be the chief reason I am out actively looking for a job. I really don't understand what you meant by that whole second paragraph. So, you'd not hire someone with tattoos just because you didn't agree with them. But the reason would be that bills need to be paid and they're getting a lesson and being stuck in minimum wage forever? What about all the doctors, scientists, etc, with tattoos? http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/bme-tatt.html

I would NOT hire someone with something that I found objectionable. I wouldn't hire someone with ten piercings on their head, with some outlandish hair style, or fashion sense. I work in a very conservative environment, and, it just doesn't seem appropriate to me, and what I see in my 'work place'. Others can do what they would like.

My comment about paying bills is directly related to a comment such as the one Kay made a few posts above. She wouldn't work for someone like me, then. I simply meant that people's attitudes about their 'rights' to express themselves sometimes compete with the job market's 'right' to hire/not hire. And, that sometimes, people might need to reconsider their 'rights' if they intend to work at something more than minimal wage, or in a more professional or traditional office enviroment.

A tattoo does not have any bearing on your level of intelligence or capability. Yes, people should realize that they might not get certain jobs if they have visible tattoos. But you shouldn't judge your whole opinion on someone just because of a personal decision. That would be like someone not hiring someone because of them being a vegetarian.

Well, then, you do see my point about it possibly limiting your job opportunities. ;) And, it isn't the same as not hiring someone who might be a vegetarian....unless it is a big tatoo that says that. Who knows that someone is a vegetarian based on physical observation?

A LOT of people get them based on historical signifigance, ancestry, ancient customs, etc. I am willing to bet that somewhere way back in your family history that there are people who got tattoos and piercings and whatnot in reverence to their religion, etc.

While I don't know my ancestry to the point of knowing if they had tatoos...he he he, I do know that no living member of my family has a tatoo :eek: Maybe we are ALL odd...I always thought it was just me.

I *LOVE* tattoos. Always have, always will. I would not put something permanent on my body that I would regret. I am an intelligent person and I don't believe I deserve less just because of them. :(

Love tatoos! I certainly am not telling you to do so otherwise, nor do I think you deserve less because of one....however, that doesn't mean I have to hire you. Remember, your rights are yours, and mine are mine. As long as I am not being discrimanatory (based on the law), I am alright with my position.

I have lots of friends and family members with tattoos. Many of them have had them for 10-20+ years. I don't see why because of the fact that we have tattoos that we're bad people or deserve any less than anyone else.

Well, I don't know what to say to that comment. You have lots of friends and family that have tatoos! Birds of a feather, I suppose. I have no family members with tatoos, and I know only a few of my friends have them. Two people, exactly, come to mind. Neither of them are that 'hot' about their tatoos, currently.

Cataholic
01-06-2007, 12:41 AM
But, persih the thought that I would have gotten one when I was eighteen instead of in my thirties. It would probably say, "I love Jon Bon Jovi" or some such rubbish. ;)

Is there something WRONG about Jon Bon Jovi? You mean he isn't still the love of your life? :D

Twisterdog
01-06-2007, 01:06 AM
... Bills need to be paid, and working for minimum wage is not that swell ... And, that sometimes, people might need to reconsider their 'rights' if they intend to work at something more than minimal wage

I agree with most of what you are saying. I'm not sure I'd hire someone with, as my husband not-so-eloquently likes to put it, "a face that looks like my tackle box." There's a kid working at our local Burger King who has PITBULL tattoed in huge, black, capital Old English letters ... all around his neck. It's scary ... truly.

But, I do also think you are being a bit extreme with the "minimum wage" thing. Thre are not ONLY two paths ... get a tattoo and forever make minimum wage or pass on the tattoo and be a rich professional.

Now, the PITBULL kid is probably never going to get a job as a bank manager or a CPA looking like that, true. But might he someday get a job as a certified auto mechanic making considerably more than minimum wage? Sure. There are a LOT of jobs that pay VERY well, that are not conservative professions. My neighbor probably easily cleared a million dollars last year as a building contractor. He's got two arms full of tattoos. Doubtful I'll EVER make that much money in a year.

I personally got my tattoos where I could easily cover them all up. I worked for a time as an accountant and a financial analyst, VERY consevative fields. I DO see your point, and I agree ... to a point. But there are a LOT of professions where the pay is MUCH more than minimum wage that aren't conservative enough to care about a couple of tattoos. I'm not talking about covering your entire body, or profanity, etc., of course. That's above and beyond.

Twisterdog
01-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Is there something WRONG about Jon Bon Jovi? You mean he isn't still the love of your life? :D

You know ... if he only would have not cut his hair .... ;)

Cataholic
01-06-2007, 01:23 AM
But, I do also think you are being a bit extreme with the "minimum wage" thing. Thre are not ONLY two paths ... get a tattoo and forever make minimum wage or pass on the tattoo and be a rich professional.

Of course not. If only, eh? I guess my point, not so eloquently put, was younger people often are the people working minimum wage. And, by minimum wage, I am not literally limiting it to the state mandated minimum wage. Maybe I should have said lower wage.

Back to younger people, lower waged jobs, and tatoos.....to me, there seems to be a theory of entitlement amongst our population. Their rights vs., if you will, the establishment's rights. The attitude, "well, then, I just won't work for you if I can't wear this/have this hair/have ten tatoos/peircings/fill in the blank". I was just suggesting that how one feels when they enter the work force (and often in a lower paying job than, say, in their 30s or 40s) might not be what they are feeling when mortgages/car payments/medical bills come along, and there they are, with ten tatoos prominently displayed. Or, a face full of tackle (I like that one).

And, for the record, while I might be in a professional field, I sure ain't rich! :D Even without any tatoos! :D

Twisterdog
01-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Of course not. If only, eh? I guess my point, not so eloquently put, was younger people often are the people working minimum wage. And, by minimum wage, I am not literally limiting to the state mandated minimum wage. Maybe I should have said lower wage.

Back to younger people, lower waged jobs, and tatoos.....to me, there seems to be a theory of entitlement amongst our population. Their rights vs., if you will, the establishment's rights. The attitude, "well, then, I just won't work for you if I can't wear this/have this hair/have ten tatoos/peircings/fill in the blank". I was just suggesting that how one feels when they enter the work force (and often in a lower paying job than, say, in their 30s or 40s) might not be what they are feeling when mortgages/car payments/medical bills come along, and their they are, with ten tatoos prominently displayed. Or, a face full of tackle (I like that one).

And, for the record, while I might be in a professional field, I sure ain't rich! :D Even without any tatoos! :D

I know what you are saying, and I agree with you. Especially the attitude of entitlement ... boy, oh boy, I could type several pages worth of rants about that one! But that's a different one of my dozens of soapboxes .... ;)

I do still like all my tattoos, many years later. But, no one knows I have them unless I choose to show them. I got them for ME, they are a private testimony that no one else needs see or know about.

I think therein lies one difference between continuing to like your tattoos for the rest of your life and regretting them someday ... can your cover them up if you need to? Not only for a job interview, but for a funeral, a wedding, professional family photographs? You might not think you'll care, but chances are you will, at some point.

Sevaede
01-06-2007, 02:29 AM
I wouldn't have them brand themselves in any way at all. I am not into 'branding'.

I would NOT hire someone with something that I found objectionable. I wouldn't hire someone with ten piercings on their head, with some outlandish hair style, or fashion sense. I work in a very conservative environment, and, it just doesn't seem appropriate to me, and what I see in my 'work place'. Others can do what they would like.

My comment about paying bills is directly related to a comment such as the one Kay made a few posts above. She wouldn't work for someone like me, then. I simply meant that people's attitudes about their 'rights' to express themselves sometimes compete with the job market's 'right' to hire/not hire. And, that sometimes, people might need to reconsider their 'rights' if they intend to work at something more than minimal wage, or in a more professional or traditional office enviroment.

Well, then, you do see my point about it possibly limiting your job opportunities. ;) And, it isn't the same as not hiring someone who might be a vegetarian....unless it is a big tatoo that says that. Who knows that someone is a vegetarian based on physical observation?

While I don't know my ancestry to the point of knowing if they had tatoos...he he he, I do know that no living member of my family has a tatoo :eek: Maybe we are ALL odd...I always thought it was just me.

Love tatoos! I certainly am not telling you to do so otherwise, nor do I think you deserve less because of one....however, that doesn't mean I have to hire you. Remember, your rights are yours, and mine are mine. As long as I am not being discrimanatory (based on the law), I am alright with my position.

Well, I don't know what to say to that comment. You have lots of friends and family that have tatoos! Birds of a feather, I suppose. I have no family members with tatoos, and I know only a few of my friends have them. Two people, exactly, come to mind. Neither of them are that 'hot' about their tatoos, currently.

Heh, okay. I understand what you mean now. :D Sometimes it is a little hard to convey emphasis on the stinky ol' interweb! :D

sumbirdy
01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I have 3 I'm 16 and I know I will still like mine. Your theory is wrong, seems like you don't know much about the subject so you shouldn't assume that. I personally find that offensive.

You can never know what you are going to like in the future. I am 17 and there are so many things that I don't like now that I did when I was 16 and vice versa. I was going to get a tattoo when I was 16 and am so glad that I didn't because I don't like the same thing now. My mom got a tattoo done when she was fifteen (something she said she really liked then and something she never thought that she wouldn't like) and by the time she was 20 she hated it. So you probably shouldn't say that you know you will still like yours.

columbine
01-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm all for keeping it above-board, and if anything, Dad's prohibition will prove an incentive, not a disincentive anyway. Tattoos don't have the shock value they once did. But definitely discussing the economic ramifications (e.g. you may have to live in a decent-sized city with an unacceptable cost of living to be able to find a job at all) makes sense; and tying that in with the "not under my roof" angle (e.g. "Nobody will hire me" will no longer be an acceptable excuse to live here rent-free!) Explain how people will make up excuses or lie outright and just hire a less qualified candidate if they "just don't like the look" of a job applicant, which might well be the case for certain individuals in a position to make hiring decisions.

What the heck, he can move to Boston - nobody here bats an eye at tattoos, facial piercings, or blue hair. But you need 2 full-time jobs just to stay off the street, so he better not harbor delusions of having a social life!

Love, Columbine

mike001
01-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Leaves you between a rock and a hard place. You have to choose between your son and hubby. I imagine it will cause a lot of friction in the home if he does get it. Yet, at 18 he is old enough to make a decision.Would he be willing to wait another year? If not, everyone will have to meet halfway.
I never was a tatoo fan, so I would also have said no to my kids had they asked. I guess if it's in good taste and somewhere hidden, it would be ok. My main concern would be what he could pick up. No matter how reliable the place, there's a lot of risk, take a look at what you pick up from needles at the hospitals.

Sevaede
01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
You can never know what you are going to like in the future. I am 17 and there are so many things that I don't like now that I did when I was 16 and vice versa. I was going to get a tattoo when I was 16 and am so glad that I didn't because I don't like the same thing now. My mom got a tattoo done when she was fifteen (something she said she really liked then and something she never thought that she wouldn't like) and by the time she was 20 she hated it. So you probably shouldn't say that you know you will still like yours.

I think people can decide for themselves how they feel and view things. :)

Sevaede
01-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Leaves you between a rock and a hard place. You have to choose between your son and hubby. I imagine it will cause a lot of friction in the home if he does get it. Yet, at 18 he is old enough to make a decision.Would he be willing to wait another year? If not, everyone will have to meet halfway.
I never was a tatoo fan, so I would also have said no to my kids had they asked. I guess if it's in good taste and somewhere hidden, it would be ok. My main concern would be what he could pick up. No matter how reliable the place, there's a lot of risk, take a look at what you pick up from needles at the hospitals.

There are MANY, MANY reputable tattoo and piercing shops. They *DO* get inspected by folks from the health department, there is a national organization that the reputable people *MUST* be members of and adhere to all rules! You want a shop that uses a BRAND NEW needle as in taking it out of the package in front of your eyes. You want a place that disinfects the chair before you sit down, makes sure you're wanting to do this by asking several times. You want a place that will not dot you with a marker but use a toothpick to get the dye and mark you, a place that pours the ink into a seperate container used for you and only you. etc etc etc.

coco-bean
01-12-2007, 09:59 PM
i got my first tattoo just a couple weeks after i turned 18! the place i went too, i had some previous piercings done and trusted them completely, never heard anything bad about them(of course i did after i got it) but the guy i went too, i told him what i wanted! Something on my ankle, like an anklet, small pretty, and nothing tacky! with my name as like a pendant!
Of course he drew up something huge with a link chain instead of a tiny chain like one! I was so eager to get it, i said okay whatever! I've grown to like it! When i wear certain things im ashamed of it, for example at my sister's wedding!
i was HUGELY emabarrased because we were in a church and i was wearing a dress that showed of my legs and it just felt wrong to be showing it off like some prize possession in gods house!
for the most part, i dont regret getting it, i just wished it was more of what i wanted! It's neat and not ungodly huge but still not what i had in mind!
everyone else who see's it says it way neat and they love it, as long as other people arent appauled by it, im okay with it too!
i'd say def. pick a GOOD place, somewhere who does alot of work, pick out something you absolutely want and dont mind seeing everyday!
my dad makes fun of me because he thinks i dont know how to spell my name so i had to get it tattooed so i dont ever forget it! haha!
i didnt tell me dad, he found out a year later, but by that time i was okay with him seeing it!
Ask if they have pictures of their previous work, you'll be able to tell if it's good work or not!
Hope i kinda gave some insight! but best of luck to you and your son! hope he does the right thing!

sumbirdy
01-16-2007, 08:03 AM
I think people can decide for themselves how they feel and view things. :)

Yeah, but I'm just saying...

Marigold2
01-24-2007, 11:18 PM
I hate tattoos. My mom was in concentration camp and had one on her arm, it started with a Z and had numbers behind it. She became a number in that camp. A non-person. It was horrible, disgusting and embarrassing for her. People always asked why she had it and when she said " it was from concentration camp" people asked all kinds of dumb questions. When I see someone with a tattoo I think less of them. I tip less at a resturant. I think a lot of young people now a days do not realize how horrible those tattoos will look as they age. All those young girls with the backside/ half way down the butt tattoos. Well when they are older those things are going to sag, get cellulite, fat, and creep down the backside. Not a pretty thought. It's a fad, and it will go along with nuts and bolts that people pierce themselves with. Too bad the darn things are semi-permanent. They might think it looks cool now but no tattoo looks good on a 50 or 60 year old, it just looks cheap.

kuhio98
01-24-2007, 11:39 PM
I think they are ugly. Not just on teens -- on everyone. But, he's old enough to make his own mistakes err decisions.

dukedogsmom
01-24-2007, 11:40 PM
I got my first tattoo when I was 30. I had wanted one since I was a teen but never acted on it. Twelve years later, I've got three, soon to be four. They are all where I can show them when I want. I think that thinking less of people and tipping less is wrong. I understand some of it has to do with the older generations. My mom hates mine. But they are much more common now and a lot of people from all walks of life have them. As for my job, it's a professional, white collar one that pays well.

Twisterdog
01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
... When I see someone with a tattoo I think less of them. I tip less at a resturant ...

Wow. Are you serious?

If you got excellent service from a friendly, competent waitress you would tip her less than a sloppy rude waitress, simply because she had a tattoo?? That's truly stereotyping and prejudice, IMO.

Doubly sad coming from someone whose mother was obviously a victim of prejudice, sterotyping and hate ... you so readily do it to others? Sad.

sirrahved
01-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Too bad the darn things are semi-permanent. They might think it looks cool now but no tattoo looks good on a 50 or 60 year old, it just looks cheap.

My uncle Danny is an upper-class sixty something. He just got a tattoo from a master tattoo artist. This thing is some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen.

I'm sorry for your mother's experience with this, but it seems you're viewing all body mods through this light.

buttercup132
01-25-2007, 08:08 AM
I hate tattoos. My mom was in concentration camp and had one on her arm, it started with a Z and had numbers behind it. She became a number in that camp. A non-person. It was horrible, disgusting and embarrassing for her. People always asked why she had it and when she said " it was from concentration camp" people asked all kinds of dumb questions. When I see someone with a tattoo I think less of them. I tip less at a resturant. I think a lot of young people now a days do not realize how horrible those tattoos will look as they age. All those young girls with the backside/ half way down the butt tattoos. Well when they are older those things are going to sag, get cellulite, fat, and creep down the backside. Not a pretty thought. It's a fad, and it will go along with nuts and bolts that people pierce themselves with. Too bad the darn things are semi-permanent. They might think it looks cool now but no tattoo looks good on a 50 or 60 year old, it just looks cheap.You have your right to voice your opinion on this board but not to be rude! Sorry that it happened to your mom but I don't see how in any way that it makes tattoos bad..it's not like thats what everyone's tattoo is about, it's not like every tattoo artist is some idiot from back in the day. Talk about quick to judge...
You JUST sent me a pm the other day saying how you though I was smart..well since I have tattoos and know you now dose that make me dumb? Less of a person? Ugly?
I would hope not. Now a days tattoos symbolies (sp?) other things not like your mothes tattoo did.
TAttoos now are constant reminders of things, it helps alot of people move on with death after getting something tattooed on them that reminds them of the deacesed. And many othe meaningful things.
What you said is like being rascit and BSL...two of the worst things..

Oh and for the recored my dad's dad is 60 something and still getting tattoos and none of his look bad not everyone's tattoos will sag and look deformed you dont wrinkle THAT much...

Freedom
01-25-2007, 08:45 AM
First, I admit, I only read page one of this thread.
Why not compromise and get a really good henna tattoo for the first time or 6? They last about a month so you can adjust to the idea of having one. See if the novelty wears off; after a month, he may forget he has it or wanted it. Plus the first one may not be the one he wants for life? Just a thought. Sorry if someone already suggested this on pages 2 through here.

Marigold2
01-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Yes I do have strong feelings on tattoos. And no of course I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings. To me a tattoo means death. Death for all those 6 million people. They were marked by tattoos and then killed. I respect the memory of all of them. Marking on ones body was how they were made to feel and become non-human. If people want to express themselves how about a painting that can be put on the wall? This way they have their artistic expression and if they ever feel different they can just take it down. This way if I love Johnny forever changes to Bill's girl there isn't a problem. Society has become more excepting to tattoos, however I do think they are a fad, like Paris Hilton. Mabye in 10 years no one will find them so cool and the people with them won't either. Time will tell. It can go both ways. Styles change.

buttercup132
01-25-2007, 12:09 PM
The people who get them because it's the "cool" thing to do are not so bright but I know most people don't. For me it's not a fad..

Marigold2
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
You know Alicia I think you are very intelligent and when it comes to info on rabbits you are the best. Very well read, very up to date on info. What I am trying to say that at 16 your style will change. What you like now you might not like at 25 or 30. Even the most beautiful paintings are taken down from time to time and replaced or moved, to another room. Your style in music, clothing, books, men, furniture, cars all those things change as we get older and society changes to another style. Things I liked at 16 I didn't like at 21, from 21 to 26 everything changed again. I no longer decorate my rooms with Led Zepplin posters and black lights, bean bags and shag carpet. I respect you and lets hope that this one issue does not make us angry at one another. I hope you can respect my view, be it old fashioned.

Lobodeb
01-25-2007, 12:31 PM
They were marked by tattoos and then killed. I respect the memory of all of them. Marking on ones body was how they were made to feel and become non-human.
People have tattooed themselves long before this happened as a form of self expression, faith, pride, etc. Look at the Maori, for example. Unfortunately, you have a terrible associated with tattoos which is understandable. What happened to your mother and countless others is horrible. I don't mean to take away from that.

If people want to express themselves how about a painting that can be put on the wall? This way they have their artistic expression and if they ever feel different they can just take it down. This way if I love Johnny forever changes to Bill's girl there isn't a problem.
Because if I want to carry it with me, I can and will. I have paintings on my walls at home and that's fine. But if I want to have one that's more sentimental, I'm keeping it with me. My choice.

Society has become more excepting to tattoos, however I do think they are a fad, like Paris Hilton. Maybe in 10 years no one will find them so cool and the people with them won't either. Time will tell. It can go both ways. Styles change.
Again, some cultures have been doing it for centuries.

finn's mom
01-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Tattoos are art, a form of personal expression. I can't say that I like all paintings I see on canvas anymore than I can say that I like all tattoos on skin or all photos taken with a camera. I do like art, though. I do like personal expression. There has never been a time in my life that I wouldn't approach someone who was pierced ten times in their face or that I wouldn't approach someone who was covered in tattoos. Now, that's not to say that once I got to know the person, I chose not to associate with them afterwards. But it's the same with people that are totally clean cut, with no piercings or tattoos.

I choose who I hang out with and associate with based on their personalities, not their backgrounds, their skin color, their choice in clothes/music/cars/homes etc. People who do truly miss out on some amazing people.

And, I don't remember now who said that about tipping someone less because they have a tattoo...but, wow! I've had some horrible waiting experiences and that's the only time I'll tip less. I tip based on service and personality...again, not on skin color, hair style, tattoos, etc. (I think hygiene is something that has affected my tip one time, and only because the person made it physically hard to eat my food...pew!)

I do see and completely understand why places will and won't hire based on the physical appearance of a person. Whether tattoos and piercings are accepted more now than they used to be, the simple fact is that things haven't changed so much that the majority of consumers don't still prefer to see someone clean and simply presented when they're at a restaurant or a grocery store or a retail store or whatever. There are plenty of jobs out there available for people who want to express themselves while at work and wear what they want and stand out from the crowd and all that.

I like to wear my hair down and I like to wear my shirt untucked and usually unironed. But the fact is I can't at work. It's something I am willing to sacrifice, because as soon as I clock out, I do what I want with my hair and my clothes. I choose to express my individuality through my personal brand of customer service, my personality and my smile. Again, once I'm off the clock, I have more freedom to express myself in other ways, too. I don't see that it's that big of a deal. There's a time and place for everything.

***Ally Cat's Mommy***I say tell him the pros and cons of it, but don't hammer them in. Unfortunately, people have to make their own mistakes sometimes. And, maybe it won't be a mistake, I know a few people who don't regret their tattoos. The majority of the people I know who got them early on in life tend to regret them, but not everyone does. But no matter how much someone tells you that your tastes may change, and that your interests may shift, many people will never see that until it happens. Especially kids. I remember how passionate I was about so many things that hold little to no interest at all for me now, but I remember the passion. And no one could have told me that I would change my mind about some things. Again, I say let him know the downside, if he doesn't already, and then let it be. Help him find a good place (I have someone close to me who will more than likely die from hepatitis c because of a tattoo he got as a young man.), help him pick something meaningful. I would set limits on where he can get the tattoo on his body, but that's about the only thing I would set a limit on.***

Anyway, I'm done. Good luck!

Argranade
01-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Marigold2
... When I see someone with a tattoo I think less of them. I tip less at a resturant ...
It's not what counts on the outside ... it's what counts on the inside.

Never judge a book by it's cover. ;)

Life is life & no matter what people will choose things that may not aprove to you but even so - it's there life & there choice so we have no say towards it.There is no reason for dis-liking a person for a simple tattoo, there are many, many great people in this world who have done such good for this earth .. and geuss what! some of those people just happened to have a tattoo.

carole
01-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't really think anyone is intentionally being rude here in this thread, although it may come across that way, it is really how they feel about them, and it is a fact of life many people do feel exactly like that, less of that person and it is cheap etc, I personally are not for them, but each to their own, if you are happy with them, who am I to question that, everyone is an individual, and what makes one happy does not necessarily make another.

Let's face it in general we humans are not the most tolerant race, and do judge people by how they look, but the old saying don't judge a book by it's cover does indeed come to mind. :)

buttercup132
01-25-2007, 06:25 PM
You know Alicia I think you are very intelligent and when it comes to info on rabbits you are the best. Very well read, very up to date on info. What I am trying to say that at 16 your style will change. What you like now you might not like at 25 or 30. Even the most beautiful paintings are taken down from time to time and replaced or moved, to another room. Your style in music, clothing, books, men, furniture, cars all those things change as we get older and society changes to another style. Things I liked at 16 I didn't like at 21, from 21 to 26 everything changed again. I no longer decorate my rooms with Led Zepplin posters and black lights, bean bags and shag carpet. I respect you and lets hope that this one issue does not make us angry at one another. I hope you can respect my view, be it old fashioned.I get what your trying to say and I'm not mad I was just upset about your first remark. I have been the same type of style for years and I personally don't think I'm going to change now. And I never regret anything , I learn from my mistakes and they shape who I am. (Actually I was thinking getting a tattoo saying something associated with no regrets..) Dosen't adults style etc still change when they grow older and older too? So no matter what the age it doesn't really make a difference you can still not like something as you continue to age.

BC_MoM
01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Personally, I think they're ugly and they gross me out when I see people with them.

lute
01-25-2007, 09:24 PM
If he's gonna get it I would atleast support him and make sure it's done right. By a professional. Not someone's house or a dirty unclean shop. A tattoo is very permanent. They can be removed, but it's very painful and doesn't disapear all the way.

Killearn Kitties
02-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I just heard on the car radio on the way home about a guy who has had a full english breakfast tattooed on his forehead. A tattoo artist came up with the design a little while ago, but until now had not found anyone unhinged (his word, not mine) enough to have it done. So this 19-year old now has bacon, egg, sausage and beans on his forehead with a knife and fork over each ear.

Don't tell Cam.

Edwina's Secretary
02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I just heard on the car radio on the way home about a guy who has had a full english breakfast tattooed on his forehead. A tattoo artist came up with the design a little while ago, but until now had not found anyone unhinged (his word, not mine) enough to have it done. So this 19-year old now has bacon, egg, sausage and beans on his forehead with a knife and fork over each ear.

Don't tell Cam.

I am having a vision of Hannibal Lecter licking his chops......