PDA

View Full Version : Show photography

wolfsoul
01-02-2007, 10:16 PM
So I'm getting my new camera (Olympus evolt e500) soon. I've been thinking in my head ways to make money off of my photography. I take pictures of people's dogs at shows and trials all the time and just send the pics to them for free. They always appreciate it and love the pictures. So maybe I should start charging. You know -- send them smaller versions of the pictures with a logo across them, so they can't just print it off themselves (it would look pretty silly), and see if they would be interested in buying the originals.

So far it feels like a great idea, and I'm quite excited about it. I've played with the idea of just taking professional pictures of people's pets, but it always involves having to pick a place, and meet them there, and take time away from other things, blah blah. If it's at a show or trial, I'm already there; I don't have to worry about anything. Marla always says I should take show pictures.

Now it all comes down to price. What price would you consider fair? If you were in the situation of a photographer offering to sell you good pictures of your dogs, how much would you be willing to pay?

Riptide
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
That sounds like a great idea!

Maybe look on google to find other canine photographers and see what they charge :)

Flatcoatluver
01-02-2007, 11:05 PM
You should come and take pictures of my next agility trial in Febuary. I bought a really cool agility frame, but I ordered the wrong size of picture. This lady took pictures at my last agility trail, she was to busy running 3 of her own dogs, she didn't take that much.
Zoey's trial pictures (http://www.pbase.com/paragonpapsnphoto/061007_flatcoat )
She has her prices listed.

applesmom
01-02-2007, 11:21 PM
wolfsoul, just a thought, but you might want to check with a few of the show superintendants first, since each show has a designated official photographer (s).

It should be just fine if you take your candid photos only at the owners request with an agreement beforehand. But you wouldn't want to get off to the wrong start by stepping on anyone's toes. :eek:

With your skill and a little bit of luck, you could do very well at it. It's very time consuming though!

Good luck!

wolfsoul
01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the link Breanne! I think maybe I will make a website like her's and just hand out cards, rather than going by email. I don't know if I'd be able to get to the trial in Feb -- I would need a ride, but my friends only compete in CKC and AAC agility so I don't think I could find anyone going there. :( I'll have to see though, perhaps someone is up for a road trip.

applesmom, yes I only plan on using candid shots. :) I don't like interracting with people much when I am taking pictures, so none of that "move to the left," "turn this way," stuff -- I prefer to just do things on my own, so my shots are always candid. :)

binka_nugget
01-03-2007, 12:31 AM
I would need a ride, but my friends only compete in CKC and AAC agility so I don't think I could find anyone going there. :( I'll have to see though, perhaps someone is up for a road trip.

If you can greyhound it to Vancouver, I could drive us down for a mini road trip! :D

wolfsoul
01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
If you can greyhound it to Vancouver, I could drive us down for a mini road trip! :D
That would be so awesome! :D Btw -- I'm coming down in April for the pet expo!

What is the date of the trial?

Flatcoatluver
01-03-2007, 12:41 AM
I will pm Ashly and you! It would be so fun to meet you two! Finally after how many plans we have made.

wolfsoul
01-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Alrighty, I am going to book those days off. I will probably have to Greyhound there, which means Solo and Visa can't come. :( But this should be fun. :)

Flatcoatluver
01-03-2007, 01:08 AM
To bad Solo is too big to fit in a bag. ;) Isn't Visa a service dog? I wonder if they would let her go on the bus if she was a service dog. :o

wolfsoul
01-03-2007, 01:33 AM
That's true, I will have to ask about the requirements for a service dog -- it is completely legal to reject a service dog from any public place in Canada, and since she is not certified it might be a no-go. But I'll call Greyhound tomorrow and see.

borzoimom
01-03-2007, 06:36 AM
I agree with applesmom about checking with the superintendants. However- I have been to a few shows last spring that although the "offical photographer" got to do all the ring shots, there were plenty outside the rings doing casual photos etc.
As far as a bottom notation- simply "proof" is usually sufficent. Most places will honor this, and not print the photos.

Husky15
01-03-2007, 06:43 AM
I think it sounds like a fun and great idea. There's nothing better then getting paid for what you absolutely love doing. ;) I agree with Riptide, maybe check other photography sites to see what photographers generally charge.

Good luck!