PDA

View Full Version : Playing in the snow...

Glacier
01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/happyhappyrave.jpg
Runnin' Raven. Running is what she does best!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/deuceonhishouse.jpg
Deuce waiting for his chance to play!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/deucepursuit.jpg
Finally sees his opening and takes off in pursuit of Raven.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/notsafe.jpg
"no, the doghouse is not a safe spot! you are still fair game up there"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/wrasslingsnow.jpg
He is smart enough to let Raven win the wrestling match.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/fun.jpg
"That was fun! Let's do it again!!"

Kalei
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Wow your dogs are both so beautiful and the snow pictures are great! They look like they had lots of fun. Awesome Siggy by the way, that cat is gorgeous.

chocolatepuppy
01-02-2007, 05:40 PM
He he, looks like your Raven and Deuce were having a great time. I love the snow pics. :)

Cinder & Smoke
01-02-2007, 05:40 PM
WOW!!

So NEAT to see you Postin Pixs again!!

And what a Pair of Subjects! :D

LOOK at those Fur Coats ...
are you guys palnning on having a WINTER up there this year?

Oh yeah ... Pssst ... HAPPY NEW YEAR, Tamara!!!

:)
:D

elizabethann
01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Your dogs are so beautiful. :)

So that's what snow looks like? I had forgotten. ;)

cmayer31
01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
It's so good to see Raven and Deuce playing again! They make a perfect couple it would seem. Does Deuce stay in Raven's pen all the time, or is he in the main yard when they're not playing?

cyber-sibes
01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Such cute pictures of one of my favorite duos! Those two are so delightful together!

Glacier
01-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Does Deuce stay in Raven's pen all the time, or is he in the main yard when they're not playing?

Deuce stays in that pen. He has some issues with other dogs that make it impossible for him to live with the main pack safely. He desperately wants to fight with Heyoka and would love to take a chunk out of Chum or Muskwa. He's not a fan of other male dogs who won't submit to him. He does realize that Raven is the boss of him though and after one major fight, he's never questioned her authority again! I'm not sure what we would have done with Deuce if Raven hadn't accepted him!

Raven is allowed in the main yard under supervision. She can be nasty to other female dogs, but as long as someone is watching her, she's fine. She'e only five, but she's mellowing a bit! She sometimes spends the night in the main yard, running around like a nutcase.

Antare comes and goes from that pen every day. Deuce won't let Antare eat so he usually comes out at dinner and eats in the main yard. He also needs to see Delta frequently and Delta lives in the main yard. He likes Raven alot though so he often goes back in that pen in the mornings.

Hmmm, that was alot more than you probably wanted to know!

cmayer31
01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Hmmm, that was alot more than you probably wanted to know!

I'm amazed at how the pack life works with your crew. It seems like a lot of mushers that have teams have them chained in the yard to their own houses. I can see where this limits issues with individual dogs, and how it makes living possible without all the fencing, but I really enjoy seeing pictures of your dogs interacting and living together as more than just members of a team.

In other words, there is no such thing as too much to know. Even though I'm Southern California born and raised, I really enjoy seeing pictures and hearing stories of sledding and all the dogs that make it such a neat activity. At best we have carting, or bikejoring, but I have never seen a dog in harness besides in pictures.

Cinder & Smoke
01-02-2007, 11:55 PM
WOW!
I'm another "I'm amazed" observer ...

*I* have trouble keepin THREE Dawg names straight ...
And you manage to keep track of TWENTY Plus!

Do you carry a Score Card or Program in your pocket?

Thank Heaven my three ALL get along --- I can't imagine how I'd remember
"Who" was allowed to mingle with "Whom". :eek:

And I'm SURE the Dogs are very grateful that they are NOT just tied to their houses!
You're a GOOD Mom!

Glacier
01-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm amazed at how the pack life works with your crew. It seems like a lot of mushers that have teams have them chained in the yard to their own houses. I can see where this limits issues with individual dogs, and how it makes living possible without all the fencing, but I really enjoy seeing pictures of your dogs interacting and living together as more than just members of a team.

I know one other musher who doesn't chain her dogs(she lurks here I think). It would be easier if they were chained--less time consuming, chain is much cheaper than fencing, less work to feed and monitor them, probably lower vet bills(although we haven't had a fight induced bill in a long time *knock on wood*). It makes hooking up much easier too. Just walk over to the dogs you want and take them to the sled. I hold the gate open and yell "who's coming today?". Sometimes 14 of them rush in and I only want 8! Sometimes I patch a team together. As long as one of the command leaders is up for a run, I can still get out of the yard! I took a little five dog team tonight. I wanted to run under the full moon. Most of the dogs were more interested in their fresh moose bones!

Do you carry a Score Card or Program in your pocket?

And I'm SURE the Dogs are very grateful that they are NOT just tied to their houses!
You're a GOOD Mom!

Not in my pocket, but yup, I keep a doggy journal...who ran with who in the team, how they did, how far we went, any trouble on the trail, which side they prefer, favorite partners, who gets along with who, who ate what, medications, vet visits, if someone shows unusual behavior, ect, ect. It all gets written down!

Stuart is sure that Sundin is hard to catch not because he's shy, but because he thinks he'll get tied up again! He does get easier to corral the longer he's here and he loves his little pen.

I've just never seen the point of keeping a dog chained. I take lots of flak from other mushers about my yard set-up, but these aren't just working dogs. They are my family and I like having them underfoot and in the middle of everything.

Husky15
01-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Gorgeous pictures of your huskies, they look like they had so much fun. :D

husky 1
01-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Lovely pics & ghorgeous dogs , all having fun :)

ramanth
01-03-2007, 07:58 AM
My dogs are so envious of all that snow!! :D Sledding in moonlight sounds like so much fun. The moon was so bright this morning. :)

cyber-sibes
01-03-2007, 09:45 AM
I took a little five dog team tonight. I wanted to run under the full moon. The full moon was just beautiful! I was reading one of my Celtic CD liners and saw that January's moon is the "wolf moon". I like that. Mine spent the evening being couch potatoes! :rolleyes: Mushing by moonlight through the snowy woods sounds exquisite!

Ginger's Mom
01-03-2007, 11:22 AM
That was a lot of fun just watching them play. I think I am going to have to come back later for another play session, it helps relieve the stress (or is it boredom, hehe) of work.

Very well said, Craig, let me echo your sentiments. :)