PDA

View Full Version : A Tribute to President Ford

Edwina's Secretary
01-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Gerald Ford was a hero to me. He wasn't a great president but he was the right president at the time.

My college years were dominated by the Viet Nam Conflict and Watergate. Riots, protests....I remember professors bringing televisions to class so we could watch the Watergate Hearings. The vice-president resigns in disgrace. Gas was rationed. You could only buy gas on certain days and still the line at the station went around the block and then some. The draft was still a very big issue...young men looking for a way out if their draft number was low...student deferments, marriage, National Guard, Canada.

So there I was...preparing to go out into a world in turmoil. Would we stop fighting in Viet Nam? Would Nixon be impeached? Would he be put on trial? How many more years??

The last day of my last class at university, Nixon resigned and Ford became president. He pardoned Nixon and he granted amnesty to draft dodgers.

I believe those were courageous (and politically dangerous!) decisions to make. But the right ones at that time.

So...godspeed Jerry Ford. You were a righteous man.

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Amen... and later they would determine it was not a conspiracy to pardon Nixon beforehand. He was a kind loving man, and put woman in the military etc.
And I remember those odd/even license plates for gas as well...

lizbud
01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I was a young woman with babies at the time & I can remember thinking
it was a big mistake to pardon Nixon.But with time & maturity, I now see it
was the best thing he could have done. It brought Americans together
again & made it possible to deal with more important things in this country.
I have the utmost respect for this courageous man.RIP Gerald Ford .

momoffuzzyfaces
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I always liked President Ford! I think he really cared for our country and did his best for it.

Be at peace President Ford!

Twisterdog
01-02-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't necesarily think that "great" should always be equated with gregarious, bold or dramatic. Sometimes exactly the opposite - calm, thoughtful and exacting - are the qualties that the situation or times demand.

President Ford was the first president I actually remember as a child.

I think he did exactly what was needed at the time to heal the wounds of a bitter, bleeding nation.

Logan
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I am ashamed to say that I have learned more about Gerald Ford in the last week than I knew before. :o But I do love the way that he lived his life and loved his wife and family, first, and did the right things for his country, regardless of political issues.

Rest in peace, President Ford.

Logan

ramanth
01-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Carter was in office when I was born. Reagan is the first president I truly remember being in office.

It wasn't until school that I learned about Ford. I agree we need more presidents like him. I'd really like to visit his museum in Grand Rapids some day. I believe he'll be buried near there.

Barbara
01-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Of course this is non of my business- but the first president I remember was Eisenhower;) He sounded similar to our chancellor Adenauer and I thought politician's must be called like that ;)

One of the first political situations I remember was the election of Kennedy. I was about 6. I think he competed with Nixon on the republican side- and I thought he and his wife Jackie were the most beautiful and charming people I'd ever seen. I still have some feelings for Jackie Kennedy- her style, her beauty. (And I was very sad for her when I learned more about the story).
At that time I hoped badly that Nixon would lose.

So I was disappointed years later when he still became a president. So I guess I'm on Ford's side;)

Please forgive me my very personal view of US presidents.

Logan
01-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Barbara, your observations are very important!!!! Never feel "sorry" for expressing your opinion!!!

JFK was killed when I was an infant, so I have no memory of him. I was born in late 1962. I do remember Nixon and his resignation and all of the US Presidents that followed, although until my adult life, I really didn't understand the importance of this office.

cyber-sibes
01-02-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't really recall too much of Ford's presidency except for Nixon's pardon. But I listened to the speeches at the funeral, and I must say that Henry Kissinger was eloquent! After hearing him run down a "behind the scenes" account of Ford's quiet diplomacy, I have a much deeper appreciation of the importance of President Ford's efforts. I have always admired Betty Ford, for her candid and unapologetic advocacy of issues "you just don't talk about" -- breast cancer, alcoholism, and addiction. The world is a better place for us all. God Bless you, President Gerald Ford, and your family. RIP.

Pam
01-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Sara, you and I often differ but on this we think alike. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember everything about that time and I agree with you completely.

AbbyMom
01-02-2007, 09:53 PM
I, too, was in college at the time...active on the political scene...active with antiwar protests. I thought the decision to pardon Nixon was OUTRAGEOUS! He was going to get away with everything!

It was the right thing to do. In retrospect, he had the wisdom to know it was time for us all to move on. He was right.

President Ford was also a serious fiscal conservative that didn't hesitate to veto bills with excessive spending. He was the last president to work hard to keep the deficit under control. At least, IMO. ;)

If you get a chance, read his book, "A Time To Heal."

columbine
01-02-2007, 10:32 PM
I think Ford's decision to pardon Nixon was based on party loyalty, and I don't think Ford could ever have envisioned that the veil of executive impunity he unwittingly helped to create would lead where it has. He was simply doing what he thought was honorable, owed to those who put him where he was, and doing his best under extreme pressure. I wouldn't have expected more of anybody. He did his best under extreme pressure, and deserves respect for that.

Love, Columbine

momoffuzzyfaces
01-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I can't help but feel sorry for Mrs. Ford. Poor woman; it's hard enough saying good-bye to someone you love at a funeral but she's having to do it over and over. I hope she can get some rest and find some peace soon. She looks worn out. :(

Dorothy39
01-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I watched the Live coverage of his burial in Grand Rapids, Michigan ~

He was the Man of the Moment when he served his Term in Office~

The Music playing during that live coverage, reminded me of those 4 days in November of 1963~( JFK)

Watching that live telecast was so *Historic* to Witness. :(

He was a Man with a Mission for our Country~ (As well as for our State)~

Great Thread Edwina's Secretary

BOBS DAD
01-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Good Post Edwina...

Well Said And Accurate Imo.