PDA

View Full Version : Ashley has lost her voice

ashleycat
01-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, most of it. I don't know where it went. She sounds like shes breathing fine. No discharge. 1st time in 8 yrs I've heard her like this. WCIB ?

Lizzie
01-01-2007, 08:41 PM
This happened to Nougat and I couldn't figure out what on earth was going on. The day after I noticed she wasn't making any noise, I noticed that she sounded as though she was gagging a lot. There were no other symptoms. It turned out that she had the calicivirus (one virus that causes cat colds) and it had given her a very sore throat. It's a bad virus that causes mouth ulcers as well as laryngitis and it is very, very contagious. If it goes to the eyes, it can cause the cat to lose an eye. Let's hope there is another reason for Ashley's losing her voice.

Craftlady
01-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I did a google search "feline voice loss" and this is one site that came up
voice loss (http://www.vetinfo.com/cvoice.html)
I'd call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment

heidiv
01-01-2007, 08:52 PM
I would make sure to get into the vet also if its the same virus my meezers caught (Which this sounds like) you will know if she starts to run a fever and lose of appetite she won't want to eat. And if she doesn't smell her food she won't eat. The vet can give her some meds to keep her fever down also. Poor baby. Get well soon Ashley kitty. Keep a close eye on her.

ashleycat
01-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Could she have caught what Jake had? Though he wasn't raspy.

eta.. calling vet tomorrow.

catmandu
01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
I Hope That Its Nothing Serious , And I Hope That Ashley Gets Her Voice Back Soon And Is Yowling Again Soon.

heidiv
01-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Did you hear from your vet? How is she feeling today? Possibly could have gotten it from Jake but it wasn't until my kitten caught a cold; did I realize how contagious these things really are. I found Chloe a little under the weather and within 12 hours Paris was running a fever. So these things happen. Neither of my cats are allowed outside so I found it really strange they were ill. But the vet had made a comment that at the time there happen to be a bunch of sick kitties coming into the vet that week.

kb2yjx
01-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Our talker, Nicholas, the Meezer Mix, every now and then "loses his voice." I took him to the vet the first time this happened, she found nothing, and he was put on "voice rest." Hope there is nothing seriously wrong with Ashley!!!

ashleycat
01-02-2007, 07:59 PM
It did start around time Jake came( he had kiddy cold ). She's eating and all her normal stuff. I've also read it could be due to stress. I know I said I would call vet today but had stuff going on today. I will call tomorrow though.

Freedom
01-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Ebony is VERY vocal for a one year old female. Every now and then she goes on a burst of chatter. Soon afterward, she looses her voice and nothing comes out! It is so funny. After a day or so she is back to normal.

But I don't want to stop you checking iwth your vet. I DID, the first time this happened, shortly after I got her in July 06. With 6 other cats in the house, I can't afford to have anyone getting anything contagious and not have it checked out. That is why I know it is just her "over exercising her vocal chords." :rolleyes:

ashleycat
01-04-2007, 05:44 PM
She's fine. Just a small resp problem. Got meds for her. Jake gave it to her :(

Catty1
01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Glad it is nothing too serious...does Jake have to share EVERYTHING? :)

I hope Ashley is feeling better and meowing at meowmie soon!