PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Shelter this weekend UPDATE!!!!! on last page

sparks19
01-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Well, we are finally looking into a second dog. Teddy needs a friend and playmate. we seem to bore him when it comes to playtime LOL. He is wonderful with other dogs and has no problems with new dogs in the home. He's just so easy going. So this weekend coming up we are going to go to the shelter and see if we can find a friend for Teddy.

We are looking for a dog about 1-2 years of age, preferrably female but it doesn't really matter, and of course someone that likes to play.

Wish us luck

chocolatepuppy
01-01-2007, 08:13 PM
That's great! Teddy will love having a friend! :D

Twisterdog
01-01-2007, 08:14 PM
THANK YOU for adopting from a shelter. Not only are you getting a new loved one and buddy for your pooch ... but you are saving a life as well! Kudos to you for doing the responsible, ethical and kind thing! :D

Taz_Zoee
01-01-2007, 09:23 PM
That is great!! Will they let you bring Teddy so he can help you decide? :)

k9friend
01-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I've always wanted to do that, but I always end up finding strays on the street. They find me first! :rolleyes:

luvofallhorses
01-01-2007, 09:41 PM
that's awesome and thanks for choosing to adopt! :D

That is great!! Will they let you bring Teddy so he can help you decide? :)

normally shelters and rescues have the dogs meet so they know they get along regardless if the dogs are good with other dogs or not. :) that's what we do at the shelter where I volunteer anyways. good luck! :)

BC_MoM
01-01-2007, 09:45 PM
That's so cool! Which shelter are you going to? *Wants to look at available doggies*

Sevaede
01-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Hehe! Good deal for ALL parties involved! :D

Congrats, good luck, and thank you! :D

Kfamr
01-01-2007, 11:15 PM
How exciting and good luck! :)

elizabethann
01-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Did you get anything? Did I miss a thread?

pitc9
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I've always wanted to do that, but I always end up finding strays on the street. They find me first! :rolleyes:

Hey, that's not a bad thing either!! :D

Chilli
01-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Thats great! & Good luck! :D
We never end up with what we're looking for when we go to a shelter. When we were getting a second dog, we were looking for a young, small(as in smaller than Frisk), female dog. We ended up with a male dog.. a bit bigger than Frisk. And we couldn't be happier! =]
I hope you're able to find what you're looking for. I bet Teddy will be ecstatic to have a new playmate.

GreyhoundGirl
01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
that's awesome! Good luck! :D

You know I demand pics, and don't forget pics of the ones you don't adopt. ;) I want pics of all of them. Lots and lots of pics. :D

sparks19
01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone.

Yes they will have us bring Teddy in to meet the dog to see if they get along, which I am sure they will because Teddy loves everyone.

We are going to adopt from the Lancaster Humane League most likely.

I will keep everyone posted on what we decide :D

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I was waiting for an announcement.. lol.. Keep us posted.. :D

Alysser
01-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Congratulations!! This is so exciting for you and your family. I can't wait to seem pictures. I hope my favorite Teddy boy likes him.. ;) Good luck finding your perfect dog!

sparks19
01-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Hey everyone just thought I would update you all on what's going on.

We are pretty sure we have found the dog we want. We are going to go see her today, fill out the application and let her and Teddy meet. If all goes well she will be coming home with us on Friday. We will spend the whole weekend with her and then I will probably be taking Monday off of work to stay home as well.

here she is:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7630350

Wish us luck

jenluckenbach
01-07-2007, 09:28 AM
GOOD LUCK!!!! She is totally adorable! :D:D

(you are not all that far from us if you are going to Lancaster PA shelter....about 2 hours)

sparks19
01-07-2007, 09:31 AM
GOOD LUCK!!!! She is totally adorable! :D:D

(you are not all that far from us if you are going to Lancaster PA shelter....about 2 hours)

You are right :D

We live kind of close to downtown Lancaster. The kennel is on the other side of the city lol but still not very far. I work out in that area.

Allentown is not too far at all :d

ramanth
01-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Good luck! :D

GreyhoundGirl
01-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Good luck! :D She's so cute, she has the same adorable hound face as my RB Pheobe.

sparks19
01-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Good luck! :D She's so cute, she has the same adorable hound face as my RB Pheobe.

AWWWW.

We kind of fell for her because she has the same soulful eyes and expressive face as our Teddy does. AND she is resting her head on someone's lap in the picture. Teddy does that ALL the time and we love it. We can't wait to meet her.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-07-2007, 09:56 AM
She is a beautiful dog! Good luck! :D

K9soul
01-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I hope all goes well! She sounds like she may be a perfect companion for Teddy!

lute
01-07-2007, 10:15 AM
GOOD LUCK! She's adorable!

buttercup132
01-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I dont mean to ruin it but she is under the already adopted out animals.:confused:

sparks19
01-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I dont mean to ruin it but she is under the already adopted out animals.:confused:

Yes I know she JUST got adopted. We were too slow. our fault. At least she has a home now but I don't know if we will be going to the shelter today

lute
01-07-2007, 11:15 AM
i'm sorry you missed her. When will you be going? I'm looking forward to seeing your new addition!

sparks19
01-07-2007, 11:32 AM
i'm sorry you missed her. When will you be going? I'm looking forward to seeing your new addition!

whenever there is a dog posted that we are interested in. It could be just because I am disappointed but currently I am not overly interested in any of the dogs they have there right now. I want it to hit me in the face like it did with Frita. As soon as I saw her that was the one I wanted. I am not getting that feeling with any dogs posted on there right now. I mean I want them all but I want "The One"

borzoimom
01-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Can't wait for the big announcement!!! ;)

katrina
01-07-2007, 11:42 AM
im sorry that you missed out. you were really looking forward to getting her too. again im so sorry! :( hopefully soon there will be "the one!"

K9soul
01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
As soon as I saw her that was the one I wanted. I am not getting that feeling with any dogs posted on there right now. I mean I want them all but I want "The One"

I understand what you mean by this but I have to say I'd highly recommend going to meet the dogs, one that doesn't strike you as "the one" online may very well strike you that way in person! I say this because that is what happened with Raven. I actually had looked at another pup's page at first, and I couldn't get him out of my mind! I kept just thinking he really seemed like what I was looking for. I saw Raven's page and while I thought she was cute, she didn't stand out to me as much for some reason.

Well I went to the HS and the moment I met the little boy I had gone to see, I felt my heart sink. It just didn't click, it wasn't the way I had thought it might be. He was cute, but I didn't feel my heart lurch the way I had expected it to... I just didn't feel that "connection."

Since I was there, I went ahead and looked at the rest of the dogs. I got to Raven's kennel, and WOW :eek: What I had expected would happen with the little boy pup happened with her instead! It can be so much different when you meet and see them in person than when looking at a few pictures and a write up.

I just thought I'd share that with you, as food for thought :). I certainly wish you the best in finding that perfect One!

sparks19
01-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I understand what you mean by this but I have to say I'd highly recommend going to meet the dogs, one that doesn't strike you as "the one" online may very well strike you that way in person! I say this because that is what happened with Raven. I actually had looked at another pup's page at first, and I couldn't get him out of my mind! I kept just thinking he really seemed like what I was looking for. I saw Raven's page and while I thought she was cute, she didn't stand out to me as much for some reason.

Well I went to the HS and the moment I met the little boy I had gone to see, I felt my heart sink. It just didn't click, it wasn't the way I had thought it might be. He was cute, but I didn't feel my heart lurch the way I had expected it to... I just didn't feel that "connection."

Since I was there, I went ahead and looked at the rest of the dogs. I got to Raven's kennel, and WOW :eek: What I had expected would happen with the little boy pup happened with her instead! It can be so much different when you meet and see them in person than when looking at a few pictures and a write up.

I just thought I'd share that with you, as food for thought :). I certainly wish you the best in finding that perfect One!

At the shelter here you HAVE to fill out an application for a specific dog and get it approved before you can even go and see the dog. they have had too many cases where people have stolen the dog. So you have to choose which one you are interested in before you can even see them.

Plus all the dogs there right now are either too young or too old for what we are looking for. Yes older dogs need homes just as bad but we have a VERY active and playful 2 year old that still thinks he is a baby lol. I want a dog fairly close in age. Not too old to put up with him.

The rest of the dogs are too small. We want one about the size of Teddy. he is a big boy that doesn't know how big he is. We need someone that can contend with his size lol

K9soul
01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Ah I see. I have not heard of having to apply and be approved to even meet an animal in person, that seems somewhat extreme to me for a shelter. I wonder how that deters theft? In my shelter I certainly couldn't walk out with a dog unnoticed, by their rules you must have an attendant with you while you meet the dogs. But in that case I understand what you are saying, I thought you just meant that none seemed to jump out at you as much, not that none fit what you were looking for in age/size etc. Best wishes though, I hope you find that perfect one soon!

sparks19
01-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Ah I see. I have not heard of having to apply and be approved to even meet an animal in person, that seems somewhat extreme to me for a shelter. I wonder how that deters theft? In my shelter I certainly couldn't walk out with a dog unnoticed, by their rules you must have an attendant with you while you meet the dogs. But in that case I understand what you are saying, I thought you just meant that none seemed to jump out at you as much, not that none fit what you were looking for in age/size etc. Best wishes though, I hope you find that perfect one soon!

LOL well I kinda meant both. LOL. but most importantly none seem like the fit we are looking for for Teddy.

I don't know the specifics of what exactly went on that made them change to that policy. but a friend of ours just adopted a beagle/basset from there and that is what they told her too. They approve your application right on the spot though so you can see the dog but other than that I don't know much of the specifics of why exactly the felt the need to go this route.