PDA

View Full Version : Washing toys?

BC_MoM
01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
The dogs have really bad breath - and I'm sure half of it is due to dirty toys that smell like - well, crap.

Anyone know of an efficient, safe way to clean dog toys?

luvofallhorses
01-01-2007, 06:55 PM
what kind of dog toys are you talking about?

wolf_Q
01-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Honestly I doubt the breath has much to do with dog toys...

With stuffed toys I just stick them in the clothes washer, with rubber toys (kongs) I put them in the dishwasher.

animal_rescue
01-01-2007, 06:59 PM
At the HS we just put our hard toys in the sink to wash and the soft ones in the washer. Same with at home lol

luvofallhorses
01-01-2007, 06:59 PM

that's what I was thinking. ;) you can wash rope toys in the washer but just don't dry them and the same goes for balls. for stuffies you can wash and dry them. :)

BC_MoM
01-01-2007, 07:04 PM
And just use regular laundry soap?

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-01-2007, 07:17 PM
I throw all of Tango's soft toys in the washer, with regular laundry soap. The hard toys I either wash by hand or throw in the dishwasher.

mr.chiwawa
01-01-2007, 07:57 PM
I agree I throw Mister's soft toys in the washing machine with a teny tiny bit of bleach and make sure I put it on 2nd rinse and extended spin to get all of it out then I put them in the dryer on high heat to kill anything that may have been on them. And as for his hard rubber toys into the dishwasher they go.

luvofallhorses
01-01-2007, 08:00 PM
And just use regular laundry soap?

yep. :)

Daisy and Delilah
01-01-2007, 08:07 PM
My girls only like stuffies and I throw them all in the washer with normal liquid detergent. After washing, I dry them in the dryer. They come out really fresh. :)

Rachel
01-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I too have washed stuffies just like regular clothes and was suprised how bright and clean they came out.

That Mickey Mouse Christmas sweater your dog is wearing is adorable. Where ever did you find it?

Jessika
01-01-2007, 09:58 PM

With stuffed toys I just stick them in the clothes washer, with rubber toys (kongs) I put them in the dishwasher.
Speaking of Kongs, we wash them in the dishwasher but it doesn't get all the peanut butter or whatever out. We try soaking it, scraping it with a knife... lol We get most of it but there is always some gross gunk left in there that we can never get out easily :( What do you guys do??

k9friend
01-01-2007, 09:59 PM
I bet the dogs hate when you wash their toys! They are probably thinking, "Do you know how long it took me to get it perfectly seasoned like that?!" I never need to wash my dog's stuffed toys. They tear out the stuffing and then I throw them out. (The toys, not the dogs.) I get their stuffed toys at the Goodwill or local thrift store for 25 cents to a dollar per toy. I pick out the ugly ones that no kid would want, but the dogs love.

mr.chiwawa
01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I bet the dogs hate when you wash their toys! They are probably thinking, "Do you know how long it took me to get it perfectly seasoned like that?!" I never need to wash my dog's stuffed toys. They tear out the stuffing and then I throw them out. (The toys, not the dogs.) I get their stuffed toys at the Goodwill or local thrift store for 25 cents to a dollar per toy. I pick out the ugly ones that no kid would want, but the dogs love.
My dog is too damn picky and spoiled. I bet they do thnk like that I always get that look like "mom do you know what you just did?!" Its kinda funny. I usally wash his most used toys like the ones that go out the doggy door with him when I wash his bedding.
Chi hugs
Oh and on the kong issue he doesnt like the stuff that is supposed to go in there so I just stick kibble in it so Im not too much help am I?

animal_rescue
01-01-2007, 10:30 PM
hmm for the kong thing I usually let it dry up inside before I clean it and it comes right out for me when I poke it out or whatever...

BC_MoM
01-01-2007, 11:03 PM
That Mickey Mouse Christmas sweater your dog is wearing is adorable. Where ever did you find it?

I found it (Reg: $24, on Sale: $8) at the Disney Store at my local mall. :)

pitc9
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Speaking of Kongs, we wash them in the dishwasher but it doesn't get all the peanut butter or whatever out. We try soaking it, scraping it with a knife... lol We get most of it but there is always some gross gunk left in there that we can never get out easily :( What do you guys do??

I know what you mean!
I would buy a bottle brush or any other type of small brush to get in there and get all the gunk out.

I only have one kong to clean now because Sierra snuck her's out of the house and has burried it in the back yard somewhere and I won't find it till Spring now!! :mad:

I also don't have to worry about washing stuffies because Sierra rips them all to pieces in no time!

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
The dogs have really bad breath - and I'm sure half of it is due to dirty toys that smell like - well, crap.

Anyone know of an efficient, safe way to clean dog toys?
I use a very small amount of dog shampoo on my toys. Or tide with bleach alternative. Washed seperately with a "dog towel" on gentle cycle. ( the woozle has to be washed monthly- as Hottie will sulk if it smells bad..)